Improved But We Could Be Better

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As we approach training camp expectations seem high on the board for the Cardinals. Many of us talk of division titles and some even dream of greater things. The Cardinals had a very good draft. We acquired several good free agents the most of important will be our new QB. His performance will very much determine where we finish.

Has ownership and management done all they could or should in assembling a group that can reach our expectations? I do not think so. They will start the season with enough CAP money in the bank to add the one or two players that just might put us over the top. Personally I think it is because the Bidwill family does not want to extend themselves financially and for no other reason. This is understandable. We still very much are in need of a TE and DB. There were players to be had to fill these voids but we have made no move.

It seems to me that Boldin will playout the season without the contract he wants. I agree with management on this.

Our team could be good as we are or we could be no more than an 8/8 team as there are to many questions yet to be answered.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
If Bidwill does not pay Boldin what he is worth by renegotiating his contract his days with the Cardinals are numbered and his efforts may not be the best he can do. The team is going in the right direction in making this a place good players that want to win will play. Not treating Boldin is the old way the Cards worked to their own disadvantage. Good teams renegotiate contracts to keep good players on the team and happy. The team has good DEs now but we went years without any good DEs after Rice became unhappy. You have to keep your players happy. Say what you want about Rice's attitude. You cant say he is not a good DE who if motivated would have helped the Cards all those years after he left. Consider who played DE after he left.

I agree with you about QB. I also agree with you about Cards not getting that one or two key reserves/situational players that could make the difference due to finanical constraints of Bidwill family.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
john h said:
As we approach training camp expectations seem high on the board for the Cardinals. Many of us talk of division titles and some even dream of greater things. The Cardinals had a very good draft. We acquired several good free agents the most of important will be our new QB. His performance will very much determine where we finish.

Has ownership and management done all they could or should in assembling a group that can reach our expectations? I do not think so. They will start the season with enough CAP money in the bank to add the one or two players that just might put us over the top. Personally I think it is because the Bidwill family does not want to extend themselves financially and for no other reason. This is understandable. We still very much are in need of a TE and DB. There were players to be had to fill these voids but we have made no move.

It seems to me that Boldin will playout the season without the contract he wants. I agree with management on this.

Our team could be good as we are or we could be no more than an 8/8 team as there are to many questions yet to be answered.

You are entitled to your opinion but suggesting that the Bidwill's do not want to sign more FA's because they don't want to financially extend themselves is hogwash, pure and simple.

Also, how can you be sure that we don't already have the TE that can fill the bill........how can you write off one of the four on the roster without seeing them live through TC and as the season progresses.

A deal will get done with Boldin at some point......both sides have too much to loose otherwise.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I would have liked to see them pick up a FA guard, TE and DB.

seesred

Reaction score
I have to agree with Spanky. Green runs this team from the field and has a huge say into who he wants. Graves works on the dollars. After all is said and done Bolden will be signed. There is no doubt in my mind about that. The Bidwills more than ever want this team to win as next year we move into the new stadium. It can be half full with a so so team or it can fill up with a team headed for the big game. They know to make money on investments they must have the best possable chance to win.

The other point is this, we don't want to overpay a Maybe better name player that most other teams don't want just to say we tried. I'd rather go with a TE or CB that has been evaluated by the coaching staff and then taught the system at a fraction of the cost of say a Ty Law. I know for a fact that the team is always looking at talent that can help. Look at all the free agents that were signed by other teams over the past few years that we wanted. How many became free agents again because of the high costs of those very contracts? Bottom line if we need only a back up CB(Rolle will play) and a little better maybe TE we will be something special right now.

GBR

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Graves runs the team by the Philly model and that Green supports this.

The current cap space is the exact amount amount needed to sign the rookies, extent Boldin and have a $1,5M buffer. That's not a coincidence!

Could we have had more cap room? Yes and No. We could have had more cap-room this season if LJ, Clement et al had been cut after June 1, but that would have been at the expense of next seasons cap room. That would conflict with the way the team is run (Philly Model) and hurt the team in the future, which is the whole reason Graves uses that strategy.

I'm behind Graves/Green/MB 100% on this, becuse if you look at the way the Ravens and Eagles are capable of remaining among the best team in the league it's pretty clear that it's the best strategy long-term. Would I like us to sign Bobby Taylor or a veteran TE? Sure! But if it happens at the expense of giving Dockett a new deal next season after he develops into a pro-bowl player this season then NO WAY!

Last edited:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
If Bidwill does not pay Boldin what he is worth by renegotiating his contract his days with the Cardinals are numbered and his efforts may not be the best he can do. The team is going in the right direction in making this a place good players that want to win will play. Not treating Boldin is the old way the Cards worked to their own disadvantage. Good teams renegotiate contracts to keep good players on the team and happy. The team has good DEs now but we went years without any good DEs after Rice became unhappy. You have to keep your players happy. Say what you want about Rice's attitude. You cant say he is not a good DE who if motivated would have helped the Cards all those years after he left. Consider who played DE after he left.

I agree with you about QB. I also agree with you about Cards not getting that one or two key reserves/situational players that could make the difference due to finanical constraints of Bidwill family.

Good teams DON'T renogotiate contracts, TO for the Eagles and Seymour for the Pats. Two teams which just happen to be the two Super Bowl teams last year.

As far as us overrating the team, we as a fan base have waited long enough for a playoff run and this is our year. We have many of the pieces in place and a top-7 D. Also, comparatively we are the best team in this weak division. We play 6 games against our division where we could win 4-5 of those games. I've said it before if we win on 9-11 vs. NY we will win the division and have a home playoff game.

I'll compare us to the Seahawks (division winnner last year):

LT- Big vs. Walter Jones Winner: Walter Jones
LG- Wells vs. Hutch Winner: Hutch
C- Step vs. Tobeck Even
RG- Brown/ Bridges vs. Gray Even
RT- Ross vs. Pork Chop Winner: Ross
WR1- Boldin (Slot) vs. DJ Winner: Boldin
WR2- Fitz vs. Engram Winner: Fitz
TE- Mili vs. TE by commitee Winner: Mili
FB- Strong vs. Femi Winner: Strong
RB- JJ vs. SA (?) Winner: SA
QB- Warner vs. Hasselbeck Winner: Hasselbeck

LE- Okeafor vs. Fisher Winner: Okeafor
RE- Berry vs. Wistrom Winner: Berry
LT- Davis vs. Woodward Winner: Davis
RT- Dock vs. Tubbs Winner: Dock
Sam- Dansby vs. Sharper Even
Mike- Hayes vs. Tatupu/ Kouto Even
Will- Huff vs. DD Winner: Huff
FS: Grif vs. Hamlin Winner: Hamlin
SS: A-Dub vs. Boulware Winner: A-Dub
LCB- Rolle vs. Trufant Winner: Trufant
RCB- Mack vs. Dyson Winner: Macklin

P- Player vs. Jones Winner: Player
K- Rackers vs. Brown Winner: Rackers

Final analysis- We are better than the Hawks at 12:8 spots IMO, therefore making us a better team.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way you can think the Bidwills are planning to hoard the remaining 5 million in cap space is if you believe they have no intention of extending Boldin at all. That would run slap counter to things Green and Graves have said, so I don't buy it. Now, whether a deal can be struck, or not, who knows?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While players are the elements of a team and having better parts means a better machine, judging a team based on it's individual factors or direct personel comparison is probably a mistake. Walter Jones and "Big" Davis won't ever play one another. Hasslebeck and Warner may be competing against one another but are really fighting the defense on every play. High payroll or marquee names at postitions do not automatically translate into wins. Using a baseball comparision, last year's World Series would be a David V Golith story. If the Cardinals win this year it will be based off of strong roleplayers doing their job. I love the current roster and while I admit there appears to be needs (currently TE and G are the hot topics) I think good coaching can be just as important and help turn precieved weaknesses into strength.

Time will tell I guess.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
WR1- Boldin (Slot) vs. DJ Winner: Boldin
RCB- Mack vs. Dyson Winner: Macklin

Final analysis- We are better than the Hawks at 12:8 spots IMO, therefore making us a better team.

C'mon, BD. David Macklin is not better than Andre Dyson. There isn't a team in the league that would take Macklin ahead of Andre Dyson. Dyson had an off year last season because the Titans pass rush sucked so bad, but just on individual play, you've got to be insane.

Also, only the most homer or ignorant of fans would say that Anquan Boldin is a better player than Darrell Jackson at this point. Jackson still drops too many passes, but the guy is a home-run threat on every play, and finds the end zone. He has had over 1000 yards three of the past four seasons, has a career average of 14.7 YPC, and averaged 6.4 TDs per season over that span.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Also, only the most homer or ignorant of fans would say that Anquan Boldin is a better player than Darrell Jackson at this point.

C'mon Jack, now that's just plain ********.
Being ~good~ and being the only receiver worth a crap on your team are two totally different things.

If you really think Darrell Jackson is better than Anquan Boldin, then you're... a big dumb head face.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Being ~good~ and being the only receiver worth a crap on your team are two totally different things.

If you really think Darrell Jackson is better than Anquan Boldin, then you're... a big dumb head face.

:biglaugh:

Glad to see you back S11. Don't be such a stranger. :thumbup:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I'd take Dyson over Macklin. And Griffith's numbers are much better than Hamlin's, plus Hamlin is coming off of injury, but this will be Griffith's first year at FS instead of SS.

spanky1

Reaction score
JPlay said:
I'd take Dyson over Macklin. And Griffith's numbers are much better than Hamlin's, plus Hamlin is coming off of injury, but this will be Griffith's first year at FS instead of SS.

Not me

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

uh - 11 - couldn't the above be directly applied to Boldin as well?

At this point, there is no doubt that Darrell Jackson is AT LEAST even with Boldin, if not better. Boldin's had one great year (being the only reciever worth a crap on his team) - Jackson's had 3 season of 1000+ along with 7+ TDs - at this point, I'd call that a pretty dead heat.

I'd also take Dyson over Macklin - but not by much.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
C'mon, BD. David Macklin is not better than Andre Dyson. There isn't a team in the league that would take Macklin ahead of Andre Dyson. Dyson had an off year last season because the Titans pass rush sucked so bad, but just on individual play, you've got to be insane.

Also, only the most homer or ignorant of fans would say that Anquan Boldin is a better player than Darrell Jackson at this point. Jackson still drops too many passes, but the guy is a home-run threat on every play, and finds the end zone. He has had over 1000 yards three of the past four seasons, has a career average of 14.7 YPC, and averaged 6.4 TDs per season over that span.

I watched Dyson play extensively and yes Mack is better. Dyson blows too many coverages and takes way too many risks. He is also weak in run support. Also, DJ is a good reciever but I still give the edge to Boldin. Look at it this way, you're 3 & 7, who are you throwing to? The poster boy for dropitis or the guy who set records in his first two years in the league.

spanky1

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
uh - 11 - couldn't the above be directly applied to Boldin as well?

At this point, there is no doubt that Darrell Jackson is AT LEAST even with Boldin, if not better. Boldin's had one great year (being the only reciever worth a crap on his team) - Jackson's had 3 season of 1000+ along with 7+ TDs - at this point, I'd call that a pretty dead heat.

I'd also take Dyson over Macklin - but not by much.

Dyson over Macklin.....but not by much. Your a businessman (albeit a lawyer.... :) ), is Dyson worth the extra "bling"...... contract to contract, heart to heart?

Which is why I'd take Macklin.

He must be the most under rated player on our team.....can't figure out why either.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
SuperSpck said:
While players are the elements of a team and having better parts means a better machine, judging a team based on it's individual factors or direct personel comparison is probably a mistake. Walter Jones and "Big" Davis won't ever play one another. Hasslebeck and Warner may be competing against one another but are really fighting the defense on every play. High payroll or marquee names at postitions do not automatically translate into wins. Using a baseball comparision, last year's World Series would be a David V Golith story. If the Cardinals win this year it will be based off of strong roleplayers doing their job. I love the current roster and while I admit there appears to be needs (currently TE and G are the hot topics) I think good coaching can be just as important and help turn precieved weaknesses into strength.

Time will tell I guess.

I don't like the WS comparison, the Sox had the second hihest payroll in baseball. Who is the David and who is the Goliath?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill take boldin over any other WR in the league. he hasnt had 3 years to put up[ 3 years of numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Dyson over Macklin.....but not by much. Your a businessman (albeit a lawyer.... :) ), is Dyson worth the extra "bling"...... contract to contract, heart to heart?

Which is why I'd take Macklin.

He must be the most under rated player on our team.....can't figure out why either.

actually, I'm a part-time employed writer - and I'd still take Dyson. No one is talking contracts or the future - I believe this was a head to head look at players and that being said - Dyson is still a bit above Macklin. That's not a knock on Mack - I believe him to be a pretty good gritty #2 as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
ill take boldin over any other WR in the league

you lost me right there. That's ridiculous.

spanky1

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
actually, I'm a part-time employed writer - and I'd still take Dyson. No one is talking contracts or the future - I believe this was a head to head look at players and that being said - Dyson is still a bit above Macklin. That's not a knock on Mack - I believe him to be a pretty good gritty #2 as well.

cheese,

I'm a part time employed consultant........what time is it?...... let me tell you how to build a watch.

Macklin loves to play football.....there in lies the rub.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
cheese,

I'm a part time employed consultant........what time is it?...... let me tell you how to build a watch.

Macklin loves to play football.....there in lies the rub.

wha?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
you lost me right there. That's ridiculous.

How? you gonna take moss or owens who are already far into theyr careers? boldin has been in the nfl only 2 years and has the potential to be the best, hes like spiderman out there on the field. ill take hime. plus his work ethic and attitude is head and shoulders above most the WR headcases out there