Is Gerald Green the most athletic player in Suns history?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We aren't talking about their basketball skills, we are talking about their athleticism and to an extent body structures.

What the hell does Warrick's ability to put the ball on the floor have anything to do with it?

And Green's vertical leap is 48 inches while Marion's is 41 inches.

If your gonna try to be a dick about something, you should at least put in the research first and also try to stay on topic.

You're the one who is claiming Warrick's inability to dunk is because of strength, thats why I brought up that he cant control the ball, has no hands, no shot and cant dribble. ALL of that causes him to have an inability to attack the hoop. Again, this Warrick thing is YOUR comparison, so dont whine about "going off topic" when I merely had to demonstrate how stupid it was.

Green's OFFICIAL jump at draft workouts was 39 inches, Marion's was 41. So... one more time, if YOU are going to try to be a dick about something do some research first.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great point catlover about Marion. He was a changed player after the John Starks play. Granted it was early in his career and he remained a high flier, but prior to that play he used to jump over guys heads to dunk it in, and Starks, being the cheap shot scum bag that he was, didnt feel like being showed up by a kid... so he almost killed him.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're the one who is claiming Warrick's inability to dunk is because of strength, thats why I brought up that he cant control the ball, has no hands, no shot and cant dribble. ALL of that causes him to have an inability to attack the hoop. Again, this Warrick thing is YOUR comparison, so dont whine about "going off topic" when I merely had to demonstrate how stupid it was.

Green's OFFICIAL jump at draft workouts was 39 inches, Marion's was 41. So... one more time, if YOU are going to try to be a dick about something do some research first.
Warrick doesn't need to dribble or have a shot to simply go up and dunk after someone sets him up perfectly. I saw it countless times where Nash spoon fed him the ball and he went up with it and came down short of the rim. It was comical.

Here's an example of when Warrick actually finished the dunk but if you notice, he doesn't dribble the ball or pump fake a shot or anything because it has nothing to do with just going up and dunking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XO2UedtcM0

And Green has a 48 inch vertical leap, not 39 inches. I don't know if he gained more jumping ability after the draft or something but stop sputtering off nonsense.

http://www.jenports.com/2012/10/how-high-can-gerald-green-jump.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Gerald-Green-Dunks-Or-How-To-Increase-Vertical-Jump&id=666360

The other player with a 48 inch vertical? Michael Jordan.

So unless your saying that Marion could jump higher than Jordan, you are dead wrong in terms of which player can jump higher out of Green and Marion.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
What's knocking Marion down to the second tier for you? Prior to the Starks incident he lived above the rim in a manner I've only seen from one other player, David Thompson. And I don't think you can find a player that could make that second and third jump as quickly as he could. If he'd had the handle and shot of a star player he'd waltz into the greatest player ever conversation. As it is he'll have to settle for a spot in the freakishly athletic player of all time convo.

Marion was very athletic indeed. I would call my top tier "Legendary" and second tier "Amazing". Very close either way. My thinking is that Marion was more of a quick jumper than an incredible jumper. I agree his second and third jump ability is probably the best I have ever seen. He would often go up for a second jump and throw it down/tip it in before the opponent had even landed. Very unique player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Geez SF88, YOURE the one who brought up Warrick. I dont think he is on the same level as these other guys, I never claimed he was, I merely said STRENGTH was not what made Warrick a terrible player or what separates him and Green. What you just described, Nash setting him up and him coming up short, has nothing to do with strength, it has to do with him being an uncoordinated pile of junk. Your ONE video proves nothing. I made the point that Warrick had terrible ball skills and you counter that by showing a video where he does not put the ball on the court? So what? You're countering yourself. Just drop the Warrick thing, its a stupid stupid comparison.

As for Green and his 48 inch leap. VERTICAL LEAP as measured officially is NOT what you are demonstrating in your linked Green clips. Vertical leap is measured from a standing flat footed jump, there is no run up when official vertical measurements are made. Green's vertical was 39 inches. Yes, he can run up and get his head above the rim... so can basically everyone else we just mentioned here. Awesome. Green is a fantastic leaper, I've already said that countless times, that is one aspect of athleticism (and one he shares with everyone else in this conversation), its not the total package.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
As for Green and his 48 inch leap. VERTICAL LEAP as measured officially is NOT what you are demonstrating in your linked Green clips. Vertical leap is measured from a standing flat footed jump, there is no run up when official vertical measurements are made. Green's vertical was 39 inches. Yes, he can run up and get his head above the rim... so can basically everyone else we just mentioned here. Awesome. Green is a fantastic leaper, I've already said that countless times, that is one aspect of athleticism (and one he shares with everyone else in this conversation), its not the total package.

looooooooool

you completely lost it now.

Nobody discussed in this thread can get his head over the rim like Green.

And you are a fool if you think that Green's vertical really is 39". Try Google.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we've already linked other pictures of the players discussed with their heads over the rim. If getting your head above the rim is now the single standard for impressive athleticism then Tom Chambers probably takes the cake, but as I've stated, athleticism is more than pure leaping ability. If you want to make the debate about flashiest dunker then its a different conversation.

As for Green and his vertical leap... yes, its been measured at 39 inches, which is very very good but not the end all be all. These videos of him jumping with his head above the rim, that is NOT the same standard by which these other vertical numbers are being compared. When they measure vertical for those official numbers its from a standing position, no run up. To take 48 inches Green has gotten with a running start and compare it to the official numbers other guys put up in the standard setting... its a joke.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can even have this conversation without referring to plus-minus stats.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I'm going to define athleticism as a combination of strength, speed, quickness, agility, coordination and leaping ability.

Kevin Johnson had all of these things, so did Amar'e Stoudemire. Most of the people mentioned fall short in one area or another. Dumas was a great athlete, but unfortunately it stopped at his neck.

Danny Ainge is the only high school All-American ever in football, baseball and basketball, played in the major leagues and won the Eastman and Wooden awards his serior year at BYU. Why isn't he mentioned?

Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal were athletic freaks. Ronnie Lee was drafted by the North American Soccer League, NFL and NBA.

Basically, it's an impossible question to answer.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm going to define athleticism as a combination of strength, speed, quickness, agility, coordination and leaping ability.

Kevin Johnson had all of these things, so did Amar'e Stoudemire. Most of the people mentioned fall short in one area or another. Dumas was a great athlete, but unfortunately it stopped at his neck.

Danny Ainge is the only high school All-American ever in football, baseball and basketball, played in the major leagues and won the Eastman and Wooden awards his serior year at BYU. Why isn't he mentioned?

Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal were athletic freaks. Ronnie Lee was drafted by the North American Soccer League, NFL and NBA.

Basically, it's an impossible question to answer.
Pretty much.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Slin's "head close to the rim" absolutely cracks me up. So Shaq must be the most athletic player ever. Players driving aren't jumping straight up and down in all the highlites. It's about flight when your coming in, hang time if you will. I'd bet the guy with the biggest vertical in the League doesn't even get to the all star games most years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't remember any sun attacking and finishing like amare does at the 10:55 mark.
he could power over and on someone, or have the ability to hang and finish around someone. although he hardly did the later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJYDGJyEcSE#aid=P9aVOtUg9Wo

Man, watching those Amare clips from 2005 is rough. Back then his potential was limitless. He even tried on defense! Nicknaming himself STAT and changing his number to "1" were both ominous signs as to where his head was. Outside of his jumper never improved fundamentally or as a team player after that 3rd season. The knee injuries sucked for sure, but even with them he should have been so much better than he was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said Richard Dumas was a better dunker and leaper than Gerald Green... :bang:

not one person ever said this in this thread.

people quibbled with the ridiculousness that Dumas wasn't a great athlete/on the level of Markieff Morris, but not one person said he was a better dunker then Green.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The greatest leaper in Suns' history didn't even make the team - 1969 15th round draft choice Bob Beamon, who shattered the world record for the long jump in the 1968 Olympics. Beamon reported to the Suns rookie camp, but was cut prior to training camp.

And there's no way Gerald Green had more athletic ability than Bob Beamon.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
not one person ever said this in this thread.

people quibbled with the ridiculousness that Dumas wasn't a great athlete/on the level of Markieff Morris, but not one person said he was a better dunker then Green.

l2r

We had a basehead on the team a while back (Dumas) that could out dunk and jump Green, but he liked the crack rock too much and ruined his career.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The greatest leaper in Suns' history didn't even make the team - 1969 15th round draft choice Bob Beamon, who shattered the world record for the long jump in the 1968 Olympics. Beamon reported to the Suns rookie camp, but was cut prior to training camp.

And there's no way Gerald Green had more athletic ability than Bob Beamon.
Was he Jamaican though?