Is Jeff Hornacek the right choice for the Suns?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems this years Suns have is lack of veteran leadership that I think Frye provided last year. Dragic doesn't seem to have that locker room presence. On the court the emotional leaders seem to be the hotheaded Morris twins.
One of the problems with having such a young team.

Isn't Tucker (when not drinking) supposed to be that leader?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Isn't Tucker (when not drinking) supposed to be that leader?
I guess he is the best candidate but his delay in making the starting lineup this year and his relatively short time in the league (3 years?) stunted that. If you are Archie a very young kid with a high opinion of yourself would you have a lot of respect for a journeyman FA? They have been playing better as a team since he is starting and playing as one of their better defenders and rebounders.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I guess he is the best candidate but his delay in making the starting lineup this year and his relatively short time in the league (3 years?) stunted that. If you are Archie a very young kid with a high opinion of yourself would you have a lot of respect for a journeyman FA? They have been playing better as a team since he is starting and playing as one of their better defenders and rebounders.

Surely it is one of the Suns problems that their leader is also probably the least talented player.

The Suns need a franchise player that is also a strong character(leader). Stanley Johnson could be such a player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surely it is one of the Suns problems that their leader is also probably the least talented player.

The Suns need a franchise player that is also a strong character(leader). Stanley Johnson could be such a player.

They need another Grant Hill-type.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sunsfan88 demands Plumlee's role be reduced and rips Hornacek for not doing so, Plumlee's role gets reduced, Plumlee then asks to be traded, Sunsfan88 links the trade demand as evidence that Hornacek does not know how to partition minutes and is a bad coach.

Further evidence of the Suns "terrible" coaching, the glorious Detroit Pistons and their 16-26 record... in the East.

And the whinings of a 34% shooter, who would easily be the biggest ball hog on team should he be given the opportunity, but Hornacek somehow cannot find minutes for a combo guard who can not shoot, pass or defend his position.

Meanwhile, despite Hornacek's obvious incompetence, the Suns have gone 13-4 in their last 17.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to read where Plumlee demands to be traded. This may be what he and his agent want but it is all hearsay right now. The most compelling evidence that Plumlee wants to be traded is the Suns lack of denial on this subject.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've yet to read where Plumlee demands to be traded. This may be what he and his agent want but it is all hearsay right now. The most compelling evidence that Plumlee wants to be traded is the Suns lack of denial on this subject.

Yea he hasn't come out and said anything publicly but guys who demand trades a lot of times don't. They usually tell the FO and then a guy like Adrian Woj or Marc Stein would then report it.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
If anything it sounds like the Plumlee's agent trying to drum up interest to get other teams to call the Suns.
McDonough was on the radio today. He denied that they are shopping him and denied that he asked for a trade.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Jeff is a bad coach because guys like Plumlee, Tolliver, and Goodwin are supposedly complaining about their role? Jeff is a bad coach because he has a team that is full of players who's strength is iso play?

In my opinion, this team overachieves. I think that's a testament to the job Jeff does.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anything it sounds like the Plumlee's agent trying to drum up interest to get other teams to call the Suns.
McDonough was on the radio today. He denied that they are shopping him and denied that he asked for a trade.

This is good news. The Suns lack depth at center and Plumlee is on a reasonable contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff is a bad coach because guys like Plumlee, Tolliver, and Goodwin are supposedly complaining about their role? Jeff is a bad coach because he has a team that is full of players who's strength is iso play?

In my opinion, this team overachieves. I think that's a testament to the job Jeff does.

I agree that we're overachieving. We have no leadership and we're still imbalanced although it's less about size now. You don't succeed in the NBA without good ISO players but we have far too many for our own good. Especially since most of our ISO guys are also poor defenders. If it were up to me, we'd move Green and we'd work on getting Marcus to focus on defense and being more of a catch and shoot player. Let Thomas continue to do his stuff.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching this Warriors team and their ball movement , its so beautiful.

We have 3 PGs, we should be able to do this same thing instead of the iso stuff.

If we let Steve Kerr coach this Suns team for even just one game, we would be able to see the true potential of our squad.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987
Did the Suns win? I'm in the Lockeroom and lots of laughing going on with a few of the players. Boys are just cracking up.
Has he lost the team?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has he lost the team?

To answer this for sure, I think the Suns need to give Hornacek a more balanced roster. On the other hand, the GM is responsible for assembling the team and making trades.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree that we're overachieving. We have no leadership and we're still imbalanced although it's less about size now. You don't succeed in the NBA without good ISO players but we have far too many for our own good. Especially since most of our ISO guys are also poor defenders. If it were up to me, we'd move Green and we'd work on getting Marcus to focus on defense and being more of a catch and shoot player. Let Thomas continue to do his stuff.

Steve

You've wanted Bledsoe.

That's what happens.

Admit how foolish you were.

I'm sure you'll have some excuse why you were "correct".

Like you always do.

The Suns had leadership.

Idiots pissed it away.

Here's looking at you, babe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've wanted Bledsoe.

That's what happens.

Like you always do.

The Suns had leadership.

Idiots pissed it away.

The name calling and taunting is getting bad on the Suns forum.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't think fans have a voice worth hearing?

Calling other posters fools and idiots is not the "fans" using their voice, its just one guy displaying his insecurities.

Also... this is Bledsoe's fault? Funny stuff. Before they year I thought if you HAD to choose between Bledsoe and Dragic, I'd take Bledsoe, but it was debatable... it isn't anymore. Bledsoe is clearly the superior player and IMO its by an immense margin.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've wanted Bledsoe.

That's what happens.

Like you always do.

The Suns had leadership.

Idiots pissed it away.

You are delusional and are constantly looking to pick a fight here. Who was the Suns leader? How did he get pissed away? If you claim Dragic was their leader then the only person to blame for him not being the leader this year is Dragic because leaders don't just let young players take their spot. He played fine with Bledsoe last year, they shared the PG duties, and this year Dragic has been a shell of himself. That's not because of management or the coaching. If he was a leader he'd demand the ball more and other players would defer to him but that didn't happen last year and it's not happening this year. He's too passive to be a leader. So how did management piss away the leadership? If you want to say it Frye who was the leader I can agree with that but his contract offer from Orlando was too much to retain him for the production he brings. It wasn't apparent how important he was as a veteran leader to this team until this season was well under way also. You haven't ever made claim of the Suns losing Frye being a mistake though so if you try and say that now that's ridiculous.

Look at Kyrie in Cleveland, he was their leader last year and still continues to lead that team at PG even though they added Love & Lebron. Sure he defers to Lebron a bit more but than he did anyone else prior to this year but he didn't have much talent around him until this year. He still gets his touches, points, assists, and is still a leader on that team. He may not be THE leader but he is definitely still one of the leaders. If Dragic was the leader last year what is keeping him from doing the same thing as Kyrie this year? Handing off some of the leadership role but not all of it and still getting his stats only in helping the team win instead of just getting his numbers. Last year Dragic had good numbers but the team wasn't winning much without Bledsoe & Dragic in the backcourt. While Bledsoe was out Dragic played great but he still only averaged 5.8 assists, which is a lot less than what a "true point guard" who is playing 34mpg should have, even while sharing ball handling responsibilities. This year Bledsoe's numbers are better than Dragic's last year only there is more talent at each position. So who exactly is to blame for that?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Dragic was the leader last year what is keeping him from doing the same thing as Kyrie this year?
Dragic was pushed from his best position, the Point, to closing the 1st and 2nd halves, not just at Shooting Guard, but Small Forward. And we have been losing 4th quarters like crazy.

I don't think LeBron rejoining the Cavs pushed Kyrie to Forward.

There is no comparison.

Compared to Bledsoe and, especially Thomas, Goran is the best Point Guard on the Suns among the veterans. But with IT at 5'9" and Bledsoe at 6'1", Dragic gets bumped twice by default.

De-fault of the Front Office. :)