Is Splitter A Possible Pick?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It feels as if Tiago Splitter has been on the draft boards forever. However, he has always been considered more for his potential than performance until the last year or so. His play in FIBA Americas games for Brazil along with Leandro certainly turned a few heads and many draft boards have him listed in the top ten.

However, he might not go that high. There are contract issues and the Fernandez fiasco may scare off a lot off teams from international prospects.
The Suns might actually be in a position to take a guy like Splitter and leave him in Europe. At the same time, having one of only two Brazilian NBA players would give the Suns an advantage if they wanted to play the game they did when Carbacapa didn't work out for other teams.

Is he worth the wait? It's hard to say. European basketball is a lot different than the NBA. However, the profiles look promising.
Draft Express
Tiago shows most of the physical gifts you should ask for in a big man, as he has an excellent long frame, that's ready to put some weight on, a nice vertical leap, good quickness and great mobility that allow him to excel at running up and down the court. He's pretty athletic for a guy his size.

The Brazilian is a very dangerous weapon in the paint. He enjoys a very effective post-up game that's really hard to stop; which is completely logical considering we're talking about a guy with good footwork, nice footspeed, 6-11 size, long arms, the ability to finish with both hands, a soft touch and no fear of contact, sometimes even looking for it to perform his movements.

Another of his favourite situations on the offensive end is the pick and roll. He sets good picks and perfectly rolls towards the basket, trying then to take advantage of his size and soft touch, or dishing to a teammate whenever he sees a better option than his. Indeed, he sees the floor quite well, especially facing the basket, and makes good decisions, never panicking when double-teamed, although he could improve his passing execution. While not a superb handler, he can reliably put the ball on the floor if needed, and even penetrate, usually against centers, beating them with his quickness, being able to drive both left or right.

Defensively, Tiago is very solid, and quite intense. He's rarely banged in the low post despite usually being lighter than his rivals, and he enjoys accurate lateral quickness to stop his matchups and even to contain (to a certain degree) smaller rivals after defensive changes. He never forgets team defense, and generally shows very good positioning. He's a decent shot blocker, but he rarely risks his defensive position to get the block, so in the end he's not very prolific.

By now you'll have realized that Splitter has quite a high basketball IQ. He's a smart kid, and knows what the game is about. He's also a hard worker and a kid who shows good attitude on the court. Everything seems in place in his head.

Right now, what could be missing most from Splitter's game is a reliable mid-range shot. He can make it, but not on a regular basis. He only uses it as a last resource, not feeling really confident about it, and even provoking some bad decisions when he forces another option despite having an open look.

Although important, I don't think it's a such a serious problem. Tiago has had better years in this department, he even used to shoot treys from time to time, and his mechanics aren't particularly bad. Since the 2003-2004 season, when he finally joined Tau Vitoria's roster after being previously loaned to another team playing in lower categories, he suffered a double process of being forced to play closer to the basket and enjoying less scoring options. And while it showed great results with his paint game, I think it might have temporally hurt his shot.

As with the majority of international big men on their way to the NBA, Tiago is still rather skinny. And while he makes up for it by being pretty intense, he suffers in certain areas of his game, especially rebounding. But he's progressed lately in this department, and will surely continue in the future, as he has a good frame to add some weight.
Tiago Splitter grew up with Ipiranga-Badesc youth teams in Brazil. Tau Vitoria brought him to Spain at the age of 15 in the year 2000. The club organized a team in EBA category (fourth division in Spain) to give him playing time, scoring 16.9 points and grabbing 9.3 rebounds per game. In the 2001-2002 season, he was loaned to Bilbao Basket in LEB-2 (third division), averaging 10.7 points and 5.9 rebounds while getting the promotion to LEB (second division) for the following year. At 17 years old, he was the youngest player ever to take part in LEB as a foreigner and finished the season with 13.3 points and 7.1 rebounds.

After finally joining Tau's roster for the 2003-2004 campaign, Tiago could only play in the Euroleague for the first half of the season, since each team in the ACB league is only allowed two foreigners and Arvydas Macijauskas and Kornel David had already filled those spots as Tau's non-EU players. In January he finally got his Spanish citizenship, and was cleared to play ACB too. Joining such a strong team and playing few minutes in such a high level of competition, his averages suffered: 2.8 points and 2 rebounds in the ACB League, and 4 points and 2.4 rebounds in the Euroleague.

He started the 2004-2005 season in spectacular fashion, averaging 17.6 points in the preseason, taking advantage of the numerous injuries that plagued Tau's roster. He also suffered one in November that slowed down his statistical production. Right now, right at the middle point of the ACB's regular season, he's averaging 8.3 points and 3.4 rebounds. In the Euroleague, his current numbers are 9.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.

With the Brazilian National Team, Splitter played in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis at the stunning age of 17. The following year, he faced a collection of true NBA stars in the last Tournament of the Americas, getting 6 points and 3 rebounds in that game.
After pulling out last year at the last minute, Splitter is a lock to declare for the next draft. He's currently a no-brainer for the lottery. And given the lack of top prospects that next June's draft features, we can't rule out anything about how high the Brazilian could go. He's under contract until 2008, and his buyout is rather expensive, but affordable taking into account where he will likely be selected.

Tiago Splitter is one of the surest things in the next draft, especially among big men. He has the body, the athleticism, the skills, the attitude and the brain to become a very good player in the NBA. Perhaps he doesn't enjoy out-of-this-world potential, but he will become a solid contributor wherever he goes.

Tiago is of German descent, and his father, Cassio, was also a basketball player, but was forced to retire prematurely due to injuries. Splitter speaks four languages: Portuguese, Spanish, English and German. He is an ex volleyball player, which most likely helped him improve his coordination and agility.

This was updated in a later piece http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1113

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't remember another player over the past few years who has been so consistently hyped and has so consistently failed to live up to that hype. He must have a hell of a publicist. Everything said in that summary has been said continuously for the past two years, if not more.

I haven't seen Splitter much, but I saw him a little, and from what I saw he's nothing special. I could certainly be wrong, but there has to be a reason that his stock keeps plummeting after having been pumped up over and over again.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You may be right. What interested me was how well he played in the up tempo style with the Brazilian team this summer. Admittedly the competition was not that tough, but he seems better suited to the kind of game the Suns play than most young bigs.

Considering who is likely to be available in the mid first round...

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Most surprising to me is that you've said he was weak and eli didn't much good to say about him either.

I've never seen him play.

But hoopshype.com compares him to PJ Brown?

If you had to compare his game to an NBA player, which player does he most resemble?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you had to compare his game to an NBA player, which player does he most resemble?

The problem with those comparisons is that people always think that being compared to a great player is better than being compared to a lesser player. Someone who is "like" P. J. Brown, let's say 80% as good as Brown, might be better than someone who is 50% as good as Gasol. But a player who "plays like Gasol" will been seen as more promising than one who plays like Brown.

Ask people on this board who they play like, and they'll always choose a superstar. (I personally play sort of like Horace Grant, which is why I get no respect here.)

Splitter actually sort of reminded me of Croshere, but as I say I didn't see him play much.

Splitter is a top-five pick on the draft sites every year around this time. Then he doesn't impress once NBA scouts start really looking at him, falls several spots, and withdraws from the draft. It was the same thing in 2004 and '05.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I am just asking what player in the NBA does his game most resemble.

Is the PJ Brown comparison a good one? I'm assuming he isn't a PJ Brown clone but if that's the comparison lobbied his skills and on court talents must resemble that of Brown's. Meaning he can rebound, is a good shooter, plays good defense, and is a solid player.

So he plays more on the wings than the inside?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Brown doesn't take people off the dribble, both both Splitter and Croshere do a little. I don't think Splitter is the outside shooter Croshere is, but I thought I saw some footwork and lateral maneuverability that was similar.

Maybe someone who watches international ball regularly can chime in.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Ask people on this board who they play like, and they'll always choose a superstar. (I personally play sort of like Horace Grant, which is why I get no respect here.)

I always compare my game to Chris Dudley's. :D

IMO Splitter is caught in the Fran Vasquez dilemma: the teams with the top draft picks don't want him because he doesn't have spectacular upside, the teams with mid-round picks are scared off because they're not allowed to offer him a competitive contract, but he's too good to last to the second round (where there are no salary slots).

If the Suns could get Splitter locked down, he would almost certainly be available with the Lakers' pick. That's a huge 'if', though--I'm not sure what Splitter would have to gain in making such an agreement. :shrug:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually he's almost the exact opposite of Darko. Darko wowed people with his offense while Splitter is mostly known for his defense - but against Euros.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
The best comparasion is Dwight Howard with less atheltics atributtes. Splitter's style reminds me a lot of Howard game.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
chiunit said:
A Brazilian Darko

No way. While Darko had played few games against pros, Splitter is playing in pro level for 4/5 years.

In fact, Darko had just a single good game against pros in the Serbia league. And that was enough for the hype.

Splitter is a ready player, but have to improve his offensive game what his coach looks don't care to.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
planaria said:
In fact, Darko had just a single good game against pros in the Serbia league. And that was enough for the hype.

Milicic was a starter for a serbian pro team and he averaged about 10PPG/6RPG.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Yes. He started for Hemofarm Vrsac.

For Hemofarm yes, for serbian national team not even close to start a game before the draft...

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Noone talked about the serbian national team.

You said that Milicic had only one good game against serbian pros, but he was a starter and he was obviously not a one-game wonder at pro level.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Noone talked about the serbian national team.

You said that Milicic had only one good game against serbian pros, but he was a starter and he was obviously not a one-game wonder at pro level.

Yes, he was. I'm talking about that 30 point game. After that game he traveled to USA and started to make his hype up.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was just being facetious calling him a Brazilian Darko in terms of hype. Truthfully, I've never seen Splitter play, but if we had to draft a defensive minded big man that high in the first round I'd rather go with Shelden Williams.