Is Stewart Bradley this years FA bust?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically you are right; but who are you kidding? Raising the question of whether or not (based on one game) Bradley is a bust - carries with it a presumption that the person who raised the issue is, at the very least, considering the likelihood that Bradley was a bust.

In my opinion, the topic was intended to be highly critical of Bradley and meant to be inflammatory.

meant to be inflammatory? to who?

is it not kosher to voice a critical opinion of one of our players anymore?

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
The Steeler version of the 3-4 that Horton is installing is a very sophisticated system, far more sophisticated than our offense. Until we have both the knowledge & personnel to run it, we can expect some ugly games from time to time.

:confused:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My concern isn't just that he can't pick up the playbook, but that he can't pick it up by reading it. KW said he needs actual, physical reps to do so. He won't be getting many of those, so how is he supposed to progress?

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Also, no one is calling him a bust yet, but the makings are there if he can't on the field yet. I don't buy the no reps or can't pick up the defense argument. An argument, I do buy is that he's a 4-3 LB and the Cards may have mis-evaluated his ability to play the 3-4. The same thing happened to Jonathon Vilma. He was a very good 4-3 LB but couldn't play a lick in the 3-4.

A big reason Vilma struggled in the 3-4 because he is not a very good block shedder. At 260lbs that shouldn't be an issue for stew. Physically there is no reason why he can't play in a 3-4 (barring his health). If he isn't getting more playing time in a few weeks Ill reconsider my stance.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Is Fitz this years resigning "BUST" ? I mean 3 stinkin' catches for 62 yards and no touch down, a red flag goes up on this one,what a waste of money.:sarcasm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
meant to be inflammatory? to who?

is it not kosher to voice a critical opinion of one of our players anymore?
exactly. Maybe I should start a thread titled is Stewart Bradley going to be great?, and everyone will be happy.

Jeff, I think you said he'll be our defensive MVP. I don't see how you can come to assumption when he's 3rd string, but that's your opinion.

I don't know why everyone is saying it's one game and no big deal. Every game is a big game. Does the 1st game not count? If it was a pre-season game then, yes, I and others, would be overreacting. But they are playing for real now and him not seeing any time is a concern. If it's just one game, why aren't Darren College and Richard Marshall "learning the system" and sitting on the bench? In fact, the whole defense is learning a new system. Learning should not be a problem for Stewart as I keep reading how smart he is. Do you really think the guy who, behind Wilson and Dockett, may be the 3rd highest paid player on the defense should be sitting an "learning"? I doubt the Cards expected that when they gave him a 25 million dollar deal. I wouldn't have thought much of it if he had played and struggled but he didn't even get the chance to struggle. That's a bad sign no matter how you want to spin it.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
+10000

A "bust" is Levi Brown, who has severely underwhelmed us for years.Bradley has played one friggen game. And even if he played and collected 16 tackles, 2 sacks and an INT, he wouldn't be the next Patrick Willis either

No. A "bust" is a guy who has played himself out of the lineup and is on his way out of the league. Whether you appreciate the distinction, or not, Levi has been penciled in as a starter from day one.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good post. I hadn't really considered that Horton and Rhodes might be a bit of a mismatch. He was a pleasant surprise for us last season but he might be less perfect in Horton's scheme for the same reason that Ryan supposedly considered him a diva.

Steve

I don't know what perfection is in a FS, but have read nothing that indicates that Rhodes isn't a fit for this defence.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
exactly. Maybe I should start a thread titled is Stewart Bradley going to be great?, and everyone will be happy.

Jeff, I think you said he'll be our defensive MVP. I don't see how you can come to assumption when he's 3rd string, but that's your opinion.

I don't know why everyone is saying it's one game and no big deal. Every game is a big game. Does the 1st game not count? If it was a pre-season game then, yes, I and others, would be overreacting. But they are playing for real now and him not seeing any time is a concern. If it's just one game, why aren't Darren College and Richard Marshall "learning the system" and sitting on the bench? In fact, the whole defense is learning a new system. Learning should not be a problem for Stewart as I keep reading how smart he is. Do you really think the guy who, behind Wilson and Dockett, may be the 3rd highest paid player on the defense should be sitting an "learning"? I doubt the Cards expected that when they gave him a 25 million dollar deal. I wouldn't have thought much of it if he had played and struggled but he didn't even get the chance to struggle. That's a bad sign no matter how you want to spin it.

1. They are not all learning a new system: Haggans, Porter and Eason are products of the Pitt system.

2. All of our returning starters played in a 3-4, and Horton is using the previous terminology to ensure an easier learning curve for them.

3. Bradley has to both learn his role in a 3-4, as well as the new language.

Learning in this case goes beyond terminology. It's about putting concepts into practice through repetition.

Concern is not out of line, but I saw Bradley play at his best in Philly, saw the flashes of his rare size and speed in the pre-season, and am reasonably confident that he'll a real contributor is short order.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kolb mastered the entire GD offense in the amount of time Bradley has had to learn the defense. His absence from the field on Saturday was...conspicuous. Remember, we're not exactly crawling with talent at LB.

I wouldn't say that Kolb has mastered the offense just yet. He clearly has a ways to go and that is a good thing for Cardinals fans IMO.