Is Stewart Bradley this years FA bust?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Cbus - If you're going throw Bradley under the bus because he didn't do enough in his first game as a Cardinal suggests that the NFL should have one-game seasons.

We could decide the Super Bowl contestants (& winner) on the basis of widest point differential. It would save everyone a lot of time.

If you bothered to read Urban's piece on Bradley, it takes time to convert from instinctively knowing the ins & outs of a 3-4 defense after playing most of your pro career in a 4-3.

Bradley is a smart guy and an athletic guy with good football intincts.

Prediction: If he stays healthy, he could very well turn out to be our 2011 defensive MVP

Ladies and gentlemen, your Super Bowl Champion... BUFFALO BILLS!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant disagree with any of this.

But I flip it around. Walker SHOULD be the guy they go to that first game as an emergency replacement. Damn hes been on the roster for what 3 years now?

Sticking around that long for where he came from means either the coaches unreasonably love him or hes a good back up who can spot start. He should have a significant advantage over Bradley at this early stage considering dude has been in a 4-3 his whole career and they detailed just how different the two roles are in Urbans article, including how you face up player. If that is truly the issue (which I believe it is) we should be just fine as intelligence isnt' something Bradley lacks.

Sometimes it really comes down to reps and like someone else mentioned, he played real well in the preseason.

The only thing that confuses me is that IIRC they said he was calling plays in preseason already and how quickly he was picking things up. Now all of a sudden hes not?

THAT worries me a tad. But I have seen him enough to knwo hes plenty physcially talented.

Ill wait till half way through the season to make a judgement.

agreed.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Damn, thought I'd cornered the market on knee-jerk reactionary threads with my first quarter slightly inebriated pathetic fans thread.

Supplanted already!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
him not even sniffing the field raised a red flag for me, but I'm willing to withhold judgement for now.

that being said... if you're that talented a defensive player, 6 weeks should be enough time to figure out SOMEWAY to get on the field... especially when a starter goes down. That was a little troubling to me.

Yup. Walker being clearly more ready to play than Stewart Bradley is a red flag. Richard Marshall being clearly better than Rashad Johnson is a red flag.

Stewart Bradley is on the Watch List for the 2011 Terrence Holt Memorial Wasted Contract Award. He'd join previous honorees Travis LaBoy, Bryant McFadden, Roderick Hood, and Derek Anderson.

You too are both overstating this. I have even read K9 comments on here before about how the nuances of a 3-4 are just very hard to pick up. I think you are just being contrary because that just what you do.

Hell it takes some players 3 years before they are comfy play in the system. This guy has had 5 weeks. He is no different than a rookie in that respect. He definitely deserves a little slack at this point.

Also in pre season you alluded k9 to the fact that you think the team may use Bradley as an OLB in rush situations. Yet now you are wondering who they sit to play Bradley? Maybe they sit Haggans or Porter a little more often? We can sure hope right?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im a huge Bradley fan.Once he gets the system, he will make a significant difference. Probably oust Paris Lenon for the starting job. and that saying ALOT.

We are 1 week in and hes a bust? In that case, so is Patrick Peterson. Worst pick in Cardinals history. Put him up there with Ryan Leaf on the all-time bust list. Ridiculous dude.

SB is a football player through and through. Dude was a free agency steal, IMO.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Prediction: Bradley becomes the starting SOLB when Ray Horton is at the point where he feels it's OK to start phasing the aged vets out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You too are both overstating this.

me finding him not getting on the field is "a little troubling" is overstating something Shane?

sorry dude... if this guy is worth 25 million bucks and is as talented as a lot of people have claimed, it shouldn't be that out of line to be a little concerned that he couldn't get on the field during the game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prediction: Bradley becomes the starting SOLB when Ray Horton is at the point where he feels it's OK to start phasing the aged vets out.

Poor Horton. At first he's forced to play a bunch of old guys and then he's forced to play the number one contender for the biggest FA bust of the year. I like your prediction though.

Steve

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so there's an entire article detailing this topic, but the majority of people here are telling those who share even the slightest concern that they're completely off-base and over the top?

that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I, for one, have no problem with concern.

Have an issue, however, with the term "bust" at this point.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Poor Horton. At first he's forced to play a bunch of old guys and then he's forced to play the number one contender for the biggest FA bust of the year. I like your prediction though.

Steve

I think the Cardinals were interested in Bradley because of his 34 versatility. That said, he is learning the 34 and the two inside LBers, Washington and Lenon have been playing well---which makes an even greater case for Bradley kicking out to OLB.

Ray Horton, as you suggest, Steve, does find himself in a tenuous situation with 4 veterans in this defense who ideally, at this point, do not fit what he or the team needs---those 4: Haggans, Wilson, Rhodes and Porter.

Haggans and Porter are not consistent edge threats...which behooves Horton to create pressure from a variety of blitzes....and to try to get by more often than what anyone would prefer with Haggans and Porter in coverage---which they are trying hard to do, but again, are not suited to do particularly well at this point in their careers.

Wilson---when he lines people up---is the physical type of player Horton likes---but he significantly limits what Horton can do with him because he is such a liability in coverage---and---as we saw once again---Wilson runs his own version of defense when he repeatedly does whatever he wants out there, at the expense of leaving teammates vulnerable and having to cover for his mistakes.

Rhodes doesn't do the two things Horton has been used to his FS doing---he doesn't make statement tackles and hits---and he doesn't offer good downfield safety coverage. Rhodes is at his best in the intermediate areas where he likes to anticipate intermediate throws and pick them off.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kolb mastered the entire GD offense in the amount of time Bradley has had to learn the defense. His absence from the field on Saturday was...conspicuous. Remember, we're not exactly crawling with talent at LB.

Far too early to call him a bust based on one game, but the coaches' lame excuse for why he didn't play with the first team is a red flag.

The Steeler version of the 3-4 that Horton is installing is a very sophisticated system, far more sophisticated than our offense. Until we have both the knowledge & personnel to run it, we can expect some ugly games from time to time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for one, have no problem with concern.

Have an issue, however, with the term "bust" at this point.

agreed that anyone calling him a bust already is probably getting way ahead of themselves.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so there's an entire article detailing this topic, but the majority of people here are telling those who share even the slightest concern that they're completely off-base and over the top?

that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I just don't think that's what's happening here. I think it's reasonable to have doubts about this guy but I think it's laughable to start this conversation after one game. It would have made more sense to ask this question a week ago(and really, it was closer to a prediction than a question). If you're pronouncing him a failure simply because he hasn't mastered the intricacies of a new system in a shortened offseason that seems like an absurd rush to judgement IMO.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think that's what's happening here. I think it's reasonable to have doubts about this guy but I think it's laughable to start this conversation after one game. It would have made more sense to ask this question a week ago(and really, it was closer to a prediction than a question). If you're pronouncing him a failure simply because he hasn't mastered the intricacies of a new system in a shortened offseason that seems like an absurd rush to judgement IMO.

Steve

who's pronouncing anything? The topic isn't: "Stewart Bradley IS this year's FA bust!" It's a question. the exact opposite of a pronouncement.

and when you're "big ticket" FA can't even get on the field on a team woefully short at his position and then suffers an injury, i really don't think it's out of line to start to wonder what exactly we have in this guy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who's pronouncing anything? The topic isn't: "Stewart Bradley IS this year's FA bust!" It's a question. the exact opposite of a pronouncement.

and when you're "big ticket" FA can't even get on the field on a team woefully short at his position and then suffers an injury, i really don't think it's out of line to start to wonder what exactly we have in this guy.

Read the OP's post again Cheese and tell me that you really thought he was merely asking a question. As for not even getting on the field, he wasn't out there very much but he WAS out there. The OP may even be right, Bradley might be a wasted FA signing. But the articles about his progress and struggles seemed credible to me. It takes time to transition from a 4-3 defense and time is the one thing the lockout took away from him (and us).

Steve

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
agreed that anyone calling him a bust already is probably getting way ahead of themselves.

+10000

A "bust" is Levi Brown, who has severely underwhelmed us for years.

Bradley has played one friggen game. And even if he played and collected 16 tackles, 2 sacks and an INT, he wouldn't be the next Patrick Willis either

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yeah, but the opening thread is pretty blunt about calling him one. Easy to take it that way.

Of course, we are some how supposed to not take a literary form of communication literally, cause of course we all hear each poster talking through our monitors.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Fine. Don't take the bet.

The only thing laughable is making judgements after 2 months into a system, and after one game.
I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the bet because it's one I can't win since he can't play any less than special teams and oal line unless he gets injured.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals were interested in Bradley because of his 34 versatility. That said, he is learning the 34 and the two inside LBers, Washington and Lenon have been playing well---which makes an even greater case for Bradley kicking out to OLB.

Ray Horton, as you suggest, Steve, does find himself in a tenuous situation with 4 veterans in this defense who ideally, at this point, do not fit what he or the team needs---those 4: Haggans, Wilson, Rhodes and Porter.

Haggans and Porter are not consistent edge threats...which behooves Horton to create pressure from a variety of blitzes....and to try to get by more often than what anyone would prefer with Haggans and Porter in coverage---which they are trying hard to do, but again, are not suited to do particularly well at this point in their careers.

Wilson---when he lines people up---is the physical type of player Horton likes---but he significantly limits what Horton can do with him because he is such a liability in coverage---and---as we saw once again---Wilson runs his own version of defense when he repeatedly does whatever he wants out there, at the expense of leaving teammates vulnerable and having to cover for his mistakes.

Rhodes doesn't do the two things Horton has been used to his FS doing---he doesn't make statement tackles and hits---and he doesn't offer good downfield safety coverage. Rhodes is at his best in the intermediate areas where he likes to anticipate intermediate throws and pick them off.

Left me first state that I LOVE A-Dub, and I really like Rhodes and Haggans. If Porter were never on this team it wouldn't faze me in the least...

All that said, I agree with your entire post here Mitch. Nice summary of a very troublesome situation...

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Also, no one is calling him a bust yet, but the makings are there if he can't on the field yet. I don't buy the no reps or can't pick up the defense argument. An argument, I do buy is that he's a 4-3 LB and the Cards may have mis-evaluated his ability to play the 3-4. The same thing happened to Jonathon Vilma. He was a very good 4-3 LB but couldn't play a lick in the 3-4.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good post. I hadn't really considered that Horton and Rhodes might be a bit of a mismatch. He was a pleasant surprise for us last season but he might be less perfect in Horton's scheme for the same reason that Ryan supposedly considered him a diva.

Steve

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Not the least bit worried about Bradley. We are one game in to the season. On top of that, the Cardinals ILB's just helped hold the NFL's best RB duo to 56 yards on 19 carries and Cam didn't do anything on the ground either. It's not like we just got gouged by the run and need Bradley to step in ASAP. Granted if Daryl can't suit up it might be a more pressing need, but Reggie Walker is a decent short term fill in. Football is about repetition and LB's have to read and react. Not read, think, and react. Bradley is learning a completely new defensive system and defensive playbook, so he's not going to pick it up right away and is probably doing a lot more thinking when he sees plays develop. Reggie Walker has been in a 3-4 since he came into the league and while the play calls might be different, the basic fundamentals are not when it comes to reacting to what you see. Let the guy get some repetition in during practices since the shortened offseason definitely didn't do him any favors in the transition. There's a little more to playing LB at a NFL level than just "that guy has the ball go hit him".

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, no one is calling him a bust yet, but the makings are there if he can't on the field yet. I don't buy the no reps or can't pick up the defense argument. An argument, I do buy is that he's a 4-3 LB and the Cards may have mis-evaluated his ability to play the 3-4. The same thing happened to Jonathon Vilma. He was a very good 4-3 LB but couldn't play a lick in the 3-4.

Technically you are right; but who are you kidding? Raising the question of whether or not (based on one game) Bradley is a bust - carries with it a presumption that the person who raised the issue is, at the very least, considering the likelihood that Bradley was a bust.

In my opinion, the topic was intended to be highly critical of Bradley and meant to be inflammatory.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05