Is Stewart Bradley this years FA bust?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
:lol:, What kind of bet is that? He almost has to play more by years end. He can't really play any less.

Fine. Don't take the bet.

The only thing laughable is making judgements after 2 months into a system, and after one game.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets see he Cant Start even though hes healthy but he is good enough to be defensive mvp
Please don't put words in my mouth.

He won't be good enough to start until he absorbs the system. Then (in my opinion) he will be good enough to start and, no doubt, he will.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Where is he going to play? Paris Lenon is a captain of the defense and wears (I'm pretty sure) the radio for the defensive playcalls. Daryl Washington is one of the three most talented players on our defense.

The only thing static about this statement is that Lenon is the captain, which is an honor voted on by the players, not coaches.

Bradley can very well supplant Lenon on the depth chart. I imagine many feel he is more talented. Right now, the issue is not talent, but rather getting acclimated to an entirely new system on the fly, thanks to the lockout.

In addition, the NFL radio helmet rule allows for two helmets on defense (only one can be live on the field).
Maybe Bradley comes in for some sub packages (like the goalline where you'll use Washington as a 2nd safety because you don't want him playing so close to the line), but are you going to bench your captain because the front office made a poor move in free agency (again)?
You bench the captain if you feel it is best for the team. If Lenon is a true captain, he wouldn't get offended by being a substitute (or splits reps) once Bradley gets acclimated.

Stewart Bradley is at the top of my list as the Free Agent Flop of 2011. I hope he's renting. Daryn Colledge is the only other clear possibility.
Right. Because you can make these inferences after one game in the books. :sarcasm:

Can we play a few more games and see what kind of adjustments are made before we sling arrows at these guys?

Furthermore, we have Bradley signed for 5 years. Lenon is in the last year of his contract. There is no guarantee he is re-signed with Bradley waiting in the wings (worst case scenario for Stew).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

And since you don't care what anybody says, I will leave it at that.

Since we cannot bring up old posts from the past, I will make a gentleman's, avatar, whatever bet he will play more by years end and make an impact on this team.

for the money he should be a starter, we shall see.

WickedKoolFan

Veteran
Reaction score
It speaks more for out ILB depth, with Lenon surprisingly still playing good this year. D Wash is is banged up, and Whiz has already said Bradley may see more time sooner because of it.

TJ

Reaction score
He lost his starting spot AFTER he came back from injuries

Sure. That's because the dude who replaced him was playing at a high level after Stew was out with a concussion (not something the NFL wants to mess with these days). Bradley was jettisoned for the same reasons Vanden Bosch was not re-signed here. Perceived injury liability.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
It Might be like Whats going on in Denver the Fans want tebow more Talent and younger but the coaches and players see Them in practice they know Who should Start all Fans know is What they want

TJ

Reaction score
It Might be like Whats going on in Denver the Fans want tebow more Talent and younger but the coaches and players see Them in practice they know Who should Start all Fans know is What they want

We are talking about linebackers. Not quarterbacks. The difference? QBs dont sub in and out except for injury and the Wildcat formation. The Denver situation is a million times worse and their fans will be seriously disappointing when/if their request for Tebow is granted.

Linebackers are rotation players. While you assume it's because the fans are throwing stones at the coaches for not playing him in one game (can't stress this enough) and the front office for signing him, it's not the case. Recall, he is learning a new system on the fly. The lockout really impacted these situations. Fortunately, Lenon is solid enough to hold the fort until Bradley is ready. And fortunately we are talking about linebackers, not quarterbacks.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
I hear What your saying tj but Do you think the cardinals after a5 year 20million dollor contract are going to say oh we blew it or are they going to say oh he needs time.They have yet to admit levi is a bust

TJ

Reaction score
I hear What your saying tj but Do you think the cardinals after a5 year 20million dollor contract are going to say oh we blew it or are they going to say oh he needs time.They have yet to admit levi is a bust

I think the Cards will find a role for him. There is always a business decision made in personnel moves, kind of like the Tebow fiasco. The Cards wont say they blew it and just let him ride the pine. There is a reason he was given good money. Coaches and scouts thought he was worth it.

As for Levi. Don't get me started. Every game, I curse the coaches for keeping his ass in there.

seesred

Reaction score
Bust????? After one game the only thing we know for sure he played lights out pre season. This guy can play and we will see him more and more as the season moves ahead. Take a deep breath and two asprin call me in three weeks.

GBR

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
him not even sniffing the field raised a red flag for me, but I'm willing to withhold judgement for now.

that being said... if you're that talented a defensive player, 6 weeks should be enough time to figure out SOMEWAY to get on the field... especially when a starter goes down. That was a little troubling to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
him not even sniffing the field raised a red flag for me, but I'm willing to withhold judgement for now.

that being said... if you're that talented a defensive player, 6 weeks should be enough time to figure out SOMEWAY to get on the field... especially when a starter goes down. That was a little troubling to me.

Yup. Walker being clearly more ready to play than Stewart Bradley is a red flag. Richard Marshall being clearly better than Rashad Johnson is a red flag.

Stewart Bradley is on the Watch List for the 2011 Terrence Holt Memorial Wasted Contract Award. He'd join previous honorees Travis LaBoy, Bryant McFadden, Roderick Hood, and Derek Anderson.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Declared a bust FA signing by many on ASFN after just one game. Defenders of the faith said you can't judge him accurately after just one game. Give him time.

Dereck Anderson.

Of course most were saying DA wasn't any good before he'd ever played a game. :D

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Kolb mastered the entire GD offense in the amount of time Bradley has had to learn the defense. His absence from the field on Saturday was...conspicuous. Remember, we're not exactly crawling with talent at LB.

Far too early to call him a bust based on one game, but the coaches' lame excuse for why he didn't play with the first team is a red flag.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget Rodney Bailey DE. The first of the former Steelers. Didn't work out because he wasn't old enough.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Cant disagree with any of this.

But I flip it around. Walker SHOULD be the guy they go to that first game as an emergency replacement. Damn hes been on the roster for what 3 years now? Sticking around that long for where he came from means either the coaches unreasonably love him or hes a good back up who can spot start. He should have a significant advantage over Bradley at this early stage considering dude has been in a 4-3 his whole career and they detailed just how different the two roles are in Urbans article, including how you face up player. If that is truly the issue (which I believe it is) we should be just fine as intelligence isnt' something Bradley lacks.

Sometimes it really comes down to reps and like someone else mentioned, he played real well in the preseason.

The only thing that confuses me is that IIRC they said he was calling plays in preseason already and how quickly he was picking things up. Now all of a sudden hes not?

THAT worries me a tad. But I have seen him enough to knwo hes plenty physcially talented.

Ill wait till half way through the season to make a judgement.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yup. Walker being clearly more ready to play than Stewart Bradley is a red flag. Richard Marshall being clearly better than Rashad Johnson is a red flag.

Not saying, you stated such, but those are two situations that are vastly different.

We are talking about a guy who has been in a similar system for 3 years that cannot get on the field, and a guy that has played in a 3-4 for all of 2 months not sniffing the field in leiu of another player that, again, has played in a 3-4 for 3 years in Reggie Walker.