Iverson asks to be traded

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Minnesotas Owner said they aren't trading for Iverson because the money doesn't fit. I guess if Iverson doesn't end up in Minnesota it might push Garnett to do the same as Iverson after Garnett already went public and said "Bring in the Answer".

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He is going to want to try to compete for a championship so I highly doubt the hawks get him.

Joe likes to score 30 a night there is no way both allen and Joe johnson could co-exist.

Atlanta still has some capspace I think and they wouldn't have to give up so much. Probably Marvin Williams and 2 contracts. They look pretty good in the East and Iverson's offseason home is in Atlanta.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If you put aside his supposedly bad personality, he's one hell of a player. And despite his huge contract, he's definitively tradeable. But he's bound to go to a second tier team like Denver, Atlanta or Indiana.

Anyway, seems like the 76ers are in full rebuild mode now.

Iverson in Indiana with O'Neal might be a good fit.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Who here would do a Barbosa, Diaw and One of 1st in 07 for Iverson if it were on the table? (Maybe other small throw ins from both sides to make the salaries match)

Lets just say Philly came out and offered us this deal, would anyone here do it?

Would the Suns mess with team chemistry to get one of the most dynamic players in NBA history?

While i wouldnt have the balls to pull the trigger on the trade in fear of screwing up the team, a lineup like this would be pretty lethal looking on paper.

Nash
Iverson
Bell
Marion
Stoudemire

Banks, Thomas, Rose, Jones

But its a huge risk considering how good the team is playing right now, and you stand the chance of having our season come crashing down if AI doesnt fit in.

But imo a package of Barbosa/Diaw/1st is probably one of the best Philly could probably get for AI.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
Iverson makes too much money.

Any fantasy scenario for Iverson would have to include Marion.
No one would want to trade Marion for Iverson.

Might as well stop now...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone wanna tell me why this deal couldn't work for Phoenix?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2166~510~366&teams=20~20~21

Iverson for Marion and Barbosa

Such a trade would be very repulsive to me. I would not even consider trading Marion or Barbosa straight up for Iverson if it could be done.

IMO, Iverson represents everything the Suns are not. The Suns are very team oriented. Like someone said, Iverson is just a more talented version of Marbury. I just dislike one on one basketball and it seems like Iverson needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Anyway, I would not want to part with Barbosa or Marion. These are two very talented and unselfish players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who here would do a Barbosa, Diaw and One of 1st in 07 for Iverson if it were on the table? (Maybe other small throw ins from both sides to make the salaries match)

Lets just say Philly came out and offered us this deal, would anyone here do it?

Would the Suns mess with team chemistry to get one of the most dynamic players in NBA history?

While i wouldnt have the balls to pull the trigger on the trade in fear of screwing up the team, a lineup like this would be pretty lethal looking on paper.

Nash
Iverson
Bell
Marion
Stoudemire

Banks, Thomas, Rose, Jones

But its a huge risk considering how good the team is playing right now, and you stand the chance of having our season come crashing down if AI doesnt fit in.

But imo a package of Barbosa/Diaw/1st is probably one of the best Philly could probably get for AI.

Iverson is so not worth it. The Suns need a backup quality PG that can distribute. I think he would totally wreck the chemistry on the Suns team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Iverson, but he is a poor fit for this team. I wouldn't give up anything of value for him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Iverson, but he is a poor fit for this team. I wouldn't give up anything of value for him.

He would be a poor fit I agree. ESPN was saying that the teams that were most interested are T-wolves and the Boston Celtics. I think putting Iverson next to KG would be very interesting. Then again, KG might not think so, he has already played with shoot happy point guard and didn't like it much.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He would be a poor fit I agree. ESPN was saying that the teams that were most interested are T-wolves and the Boston Celtics. I think putting Iverson next to KG would be very interesting. Then again, KG might not think so, he has already played with shoot happy point guard and didn't like it much.

"Bring it on, I love 'The Answer,"' Garnett said Friday night. "We welcome A.I. with open arms. Where's Kevin McHale?"

Nash

Reaction score
It says Philly at the end of the sentence.

yeah, I saw that. but saying "welcome to the Oden sweepstakes" made it sound like WE were already in the reckoning and were greeting another team to the pool. you know what I'm saying?

ah, never mind.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
How funny would it be if the MIN-PHI trade went down as Iverson/Hunter for Garnett? DO you think either player would just shoot themselves?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/061210

Neither Side Will Like The Answer!
by Scoop Jackson

Now, he wants out. Finally!

Even though he now wants out, don't expect suitors to line up for Allen Iverson.

After being shopped -- honestly -- for six years (especially, if you include the summer of 2000, when the Sixers tried to trade him less than a year before he would take them to the NBA Finals and win the MVP award), Allen Iverson has finally reached that point most parties reach in a broken marriage.

They've been done. He's literally done. The differences are beyond irreconcilable ... it's Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston time.

But there's one problem: No one wants him. For so many reasons that have nothing to do with basketball, it seems none of the 29 teams outside the 215 area code want anything to do with Allen Iverson. Not that a trade won't happen, but it will be more of a club "settling for" Iverson, as opposed to an actual desire to have AI on its roster.

Because the only difference in today and almost every offseason this century is the "demand." The one that AI apparently put on Sixers GM Billy King when he walked into his office Tuesday and verbally cosigned his walking papers. The big difference: Allen Iverson finally conceded.

And his concession won't change the market. The only thing it will do is make Sixers chairman Ed Snider and King more aggressive in getting him outta there, so they can get on with their lives. Without The Answer.

One would think after 10-plus seasons, four scoring crowns, three steals titles, seven All-Star appearances, two All-Star MVPs, three All-NBA first-team selections, three All-NBA second-team selections and one MVP award, teams would be lined up like PS3s were on sale. But one would be wrong.

Despite his gift for basketball, Iverson has another gift that many teams in the NBA don't want to deal with ... and that gift is a combination who he is and who they have been waiting on him to become.

From the business side of the equation, trading for Allen Iverson has to be beneficial for his new team ... both on and off the court. In a market where some of the cities that host NBA teams are not "urban" cities, having Iverson as the face of your team will not be "in the best interest" of the franchise. Which makes a deal for Iverson as much a business decision as it does one based on basketball.

For franchises like Utah, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Portland, etc., the conversations will go far beyond what happens on that 94-foot-by-50-foot space of hardwood. And those conversations probably have occurred in the past, too.

All that doesn't help the cause, but there's another factor working against Iverson, that's even a bigger "force of resistance" here. And that is the combination of his age (31), the way he plays and the universally preconceived notion that his decline is about to set in. You know, that mentality that "every year is his last year playing this well" which has been floating around the NBA for the last several years.

See, more than anything (more than the other baggage they'll say that comes with Iverson: insubordination, lack of punctuality, bad practice habits, poor shot selection, selfishness, mood swings, etc.) teams have been hesitant because they fear his decline is about to hit. Every GM is waiting for him to fail, waiting for him to not to be able to do the impossible again.

Ever since he came into the NBA in 1996, Iverson has done things he was not supposed to be able to do. Every season, he has proven people wrong. Five years ago, people around the league were saying he couldn't continue to play like he plays, that in five years he'd be out of the game because no one his size can attack the game the way he does.

Every year was supposed to be his last.

Five years later, 31.2 ppg, 7.3 apg, 2.2spg. Still.

Iverson's attacking style has always prompted rumblings that his career would have an early demise.

Still they doubt. Still they say that one day his smoke and mirrors will be exposed, the David Blaine act over. He has been over-the-hill, over and done with, over and out'd since he was 25. He's 31. He's 16 months younger than Steve Nash.

But you'll never hear any GM concerned over trading for Nash, reluctant because his game is on the verge falling off.

And it's that "against-all-odds" state of affairs that Iverson has had to deal with his entire career, his entire life if you want the truth. His fight has been constant -- as he continues to prove people wrong, but at the same time never proving himself right. That's the AI paradox: one that he will not be able to change; one he's unfairly about to again be a victim of.

So, let it be said that the Allen Iverson Sweepstakes will not be the bidding war that many would expect for a player of his brilliance. Instead, the unfortunate darkside of the game is about to reveal itself in the form of 15 teams fighting not to make a trade for Allen Iverson.

Sit back and watch how one of the game's best players gets treated in the open market. See how a player of Iverson's value learns how hypocritical "value" can be in the business of the NBA. Notice how after years of Philly trying to get rid of him, the fact that Iverson finally has agreed to a divorce, won't change anything.

And when it's all over, pay attention to who really comes out the loser in this: the Sixers or the teams who decided to stay away from Allen Iverson.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yea he is one of the most caring players off the court like the time he went looking for his wife at a friends house after they had had a fight with a gun sticking out of his pants. how about his prison time? or his gang of homies that follow him around like a lost puppy.

smh. turn off your tv homie.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Iverson a Maverick? Cuban says no
Sixers want to trade guard, but Mavs, Nuggets not interested
11:31 PM CST on Saturday, December 9, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Don't hold your breath on Allen Iverson becoming a Maverick.

No matter what you might read in cyberspace, the Philadelphia 76ers' superstar guard is not in the Mavericks' future. He has demanded a trade, and the Sixers apparently are going to try to accommodate the request.

But it won't be to Dallas.

"We can knock that rumor down right now," owner Mark Cuban said Saturday night.

The Mavericks, because of their surplus of young and middle-aged talent, come up in trade rumors whenever a marquee player is on the block. But they are happy with their roster.

Iverson is considered one of the best players of all time, particularly at his size (6-0). Early conjecture has centered on Boston, Denver and Minnesota as possible landing spots for Iverson.

But Denver officials at American Airlines Center for Saturday's game said they are not actively pursuing Iverson and don't expect anything to happen.

"I'm not going to deny that we were interested this summer," Denver coach George Karl said. "I think he's a great player, and I'm sad that again, the world of sports doesn't have the ability to be loyal to a special player.

"I think teams make trades when they're unhappy or they're searching. I think we like our team right now. I don't think we're a team thinking about making a change."

Stack on the shelf: The Mavericks played without Jerry Stackhouse and Austin Croshere on Saturday.

Stackhouse sat out with a strained right groin, and Croshere is suffering from a sore left hamstring.

"That groin muscle hasn't really been right since he tweaked it," Avery Johnson said of Stackhouse. "His push-off and lifts haven't been as explosive as we've seen them, so we just need to shut him down for a couple days. It's nothing serious right now."

Stackhouse has not been able to move as well as he would like since the injury happened on the road trip last week.

Headstrong about headbands: The Mavs obviously don't have a headband rule like the Chicago Bulls. There has been much conversation about Ben Wallace's headband with the Bulls.

Jason Terry is one of numerous Mavericks who wear headbands during games.

"I thought it was kind of petty," Terry said of the Bulls' rule. "If I played there, I think we'd have to get an exception."

Terry likes to give his headbands away to kids after the game.

Briefly: Several members of the New Orleans Saints' staff, including head coach Sean Payton, were guests of Johnson's for Saturday's game. They got a tour of the Mavs' facilities and had prime seats for the game. Johnson, a native of New Orleans, maintains that he's a fan of both the Saints and Cowboys, who play tonight at Texas Stadium. Johnson was in the Saints' locker room for their home opener in September and received the game ball from that victory.

No matter how good the Mavs' record is in February, Johnson and his staff are ineligible for being coaches at the All-Star Game in Las Vegas. That's just fine with Johnson. "I have other plans," he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...te.332bae5.html

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Chicago Or Boston Iverson's Top Choices?
9th December, 2006 - 11:54 am
San Antonio Express-News -
Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News reports that Allen Iverson told the Sixers he would prefer to be traded to either the Bulls or Celtics.

He also reports that the Nuggets and Pacers are interested in becomming involved with the talks.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...en.c9e9661.html

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Ainge: No firing in near future
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | December 10, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- This news will come as a great disappointment to those who blame Doc Rivers for most, if not all, of the Celtics' problems this season. Executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said yesterday that Rivers would remain the Celtics coach through the end of the 2006-07 season.

When asked if Rivers would remain the coach even if the team did not win another game this season, Ainge said, "Yes."

The Celtics won last night, beating the Nets, 92-90, on Paul Pierce's last-second shot.

With the season barely a month old, Ainge did not care to look further into the future than this season. But if Ainge is true to his word, there undoubtedly will be postseason evaluation in which both sides review whether it is a marriage worth saving. Financially, ownership may find it more palatable to move on.

But in the meantime, Ainge believes others should share responsibility for the way the Celtics have performed. That list includes Ainge and the players, in addition to Rivers.

"The way I look at is, when I was a player when we lost, there were always things I felt I could do better to make our team better," said Ainge. "When I was a coach, I felt there were always things I could do that could have gotten us over the hump that night. It's no different than here. I always feel there's things I can do better, things I need to keep trying to do to get better to help us win to get us over the top.

"Absolutely, I accept responsibility for what we have on the court. But I ultimately place blame on the players because they have to get things done. When I say place blame, it just means there's a lot of things I'm seeing that they need to do better that they're capable of doing.

"I never think our coaches are perfect, that they make every single right decision. That coach doesn't exist. That doesn't exist with the Pat Rileys and the Phil Jacksons and the Don Nelsons.

"They'll all tell you that they make mistakes. But what I'm saying is, and I've said this pretty consistently for the last few years, it's not about the result of the game. It has a lot more to do with what I see every single day happening within the organization. That evaluation process is different than the average fan and the media. And I know that."

Four for one?
Although Ainge had nothing new to say with regard to speculation that Allen Iverson will soon be a Celtic, a league source said the Celtics would be very interested in a deal as long as it did not involve Gerald Green. The source said one possible scenario was sending Theo Ratliff, Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair, and Al Jefferson to Philadelphia for Iverson. The salary numbers would work. But whatever happens, Rivers wants it to be sooner rather than later.

"I turned the TV on and there were rumors galore," said Rivers. "I think I read that Bird, McHale, and Parish were going to be in the deal.

"It's crazy what's going on. I hope it gets resolved for a lot of reasons. For every team whose name's involved, I hope it gets resolved. Two, Al has been great in the league and I hope that it's resolved for him and the Sixers."

When asked if he would like to coach Iverson, a diplomatic Rivers said, "I like coaching the guys I coach right now."

See you later
The daily injury update was not encouraging as Rivers raised the possibility of Ratliff missing the entire season with lower back soreness caused by a bulging disk. At the very least, Rivers said, Ratliff, Michael Olowokandi (abdominal tear), and Kendrick Perkins (plantar fasciitis) are "probably weeks" away. Rivers doesn't believe Ratliff will call it a career because of his back. "In his mind, he has to think he clearly can still play," said Rivers. "That's what I would think. But that's a good question. You should pose that to him." Ratliff made the trip with the team to see a doctor in New York . . . Wally Szczerbiak will be back soon, but Rivers doubts it will be before the Celtics finish this three-game trip Wednesday night at Philadelphia.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stephen Smith reported that Boston seems the most likely scenario, with them giving us anyone except Pierce.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Smith reported that Boston seems the most likely scenario, with them giving us anyone except Pierce.

I have maintained all along that Boston is the best place for AI. A backcourt of AI and Pierce won't work though, they both need the ball in their hands.