kenny smith says the suns bench not that good as it used to be LOL

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Well, his main point was that the Suns had more 'scoring' options then as opposed to now. That is where he was ridiculous.

Outside of Lou and Robin, everyone else receiving regular minutes is an offensive threat - and those guys make good on offensive put backs. Kenny was arguing that we really only have three scoring options, which isn't true. I would agree that those three are consistant, but Frye, Dudley and LB are still legit three point threats similar to Bell, Marion and LB back in the day. Hill can score in the paint like Marion could - but has the ability to create his own shot.

The reason we were 'better' offensively back then was two things: #1 Nash was younger and faster, period. #2 We shot the ball more quickly, thus creating more scoring opportunities during a game. Our PPG is still very high in the league.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, his main point was that the Suns had more 'scoring' options then as opposed to now. That is where he was ridiculous.

Outside of Lou and Robin, everyone else receiving regular minutes is an offensive threat - and those guys make good on offensive put backs. Kenny was arguing that we really only have three scoring options, which isn't true. I would agree that those three are consistant, but Frye, Dudley and LB are still legit three point threats similar to Bell, Marion and LB back in the day. Hill can score in the paint like Marion could - but has the ability to create his own shot.

The reason we were 'better' offensively back then was two things: #1 Nash was younger and faster, period. #2 We shot the ball more quickly, thus creating more scoring opportunities during a game. Our PPG is still very high in the league.

It's a misnomer that we were better offensively back then. This team scores more per game than the old team did. In fact, this team averages more points per game than any team since the return of Nash.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
Hollinger recently had an article where he broke down the numbers and this year the Suns were the most efficient offensive team EVER!!

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I want to know what Kenny Smith is smoking. Then Im calling Sampson, Dr said I need a backeotomy.

You must be registered for see images

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Wow this is a dumb comment! Kenny Smith and Barkley and the entire TNT crew is just a bunch of loudmouths who just say whatever they feel like saying and get paid for it.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
I hate kenny smith. He knows jack **** about basketball.. I have no idea why he's an analyst.. He is always against the suns and the raptors. ALWAYS. Barkley isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either but he is definitely a better analyst than kenny.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate kenny smith. He knows jack **** about basketball.. I have no idea why he's an analyst.. He is always against the suns and the raptors. ALWAYS. Barkley isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either but he is definitely a better analyst than kenny.

I don't think Barkley takes himself too seriously, Smith on the other hand comes off as a know-nothing know-it-all that regurgitates common misconceptions or beliefs.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I don't think Barkley takes himself too seriously, Smith on the other hand comes off as a know-nothing know-it-all that regurgitates common misconceptions or beliefs.

When Kenny pays attention, he is quite a good analyst. Problem is, when it comes to the Suns and lesser known teams, there is a lack of exposure to the Nation (time zone issue for Suns), so generalities are adopted and perpetuated. Very few, Collins aside, has actually seen the defensive schemes of the Suns, and the strength of the Bench. It's not Kenny's fault, he should just say "I haven't watched enough games of the Suns to draw that conclusion". Of course, it doesn't help that the Suns play horrible when on TNT!

HooverDam

Reaction score
You don't watch "Inside the NBA" for good basketball analysis, you watch it because its funny. Don't bother reading or listening too seriously anything that Chuck or Kenny say about basketball, just enjoy their goofy bits and antics.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Kenny pays attention, he is quite a good analyst. Problem is, when it comes to the Suns and lesser known teams, there is a lack of exposure to the Nation (time zone issue for Suns), so generalities are adopted and perpetuated. Very few, Collins aside, has actually seen the defensive schemes of the Suns, and the strength of the Bench. It's not Kenny's fault, he should just say "I haven't watched enough games of the Suns to draw that conclusion". Of course, it doesn't help that the Suns play horrible when on TNT!

+1. I'm hoping Collins doesn't take a head coaching gig because he's the only one that consistently gives us a fair shake. And that TNT curse drives me nuts. How many times are they going to schedule us on the second night of a back to back against the Lakers?

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, those guys watch most of the games all the time. They don't have an exposure problem. They've got every game there in back behind the studio. I think Kenny's comments were his honest opinion, right or wrong, and not lacking input.

Kenny was spot on about Tony Parker before the game. He also pointed out the Spurs small lineup would cause the Suns problems, and he was dead on about that, too.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Typical ESPN loudmouth one-word basketball knowledge. Way to go.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
You don't watch "Inside the NBA" for good basketball analysis, you watch it because its funny. Don't bother reading or listening too seriously anything that Chuck or Kenny say about basketball, just enjoy their goofy bits and antics.
This.
Inside the NBA is hilarious, great chemistry between those 3.

I don't think Kenny Smith has paid too much attention to this current squad. I think this team is probably the most versatile team we ever had. Our biggest weapon are the 3 pt shooters, not only Nash/Amare/J-Rich like he claims.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote of the night. Bet that was hard for the loudmouth to choke down.

With Webber on the set Kenny Smith is starting to look a lot smarter. Anyone that doesn't have a hammer, a screwdriver and a Chris Webber in their toolbox is clearly missing a tool. He's decided that the MLK holiday issue is the dividing line for racism and since we reluctantly adopted that holiday apparently we're all racists.

On top of that he's clueless about our team also. I loved this quote from him:

...little bit skewed, this statistic. Only because the way Richardson go is the way this team go. So even if Nash has a 40 point night, you know statistics say that if Richardson doesn't get over 25 they still lose.

Since we started off the season 13-3 in games Jason didn't score 25 points he can't possibly be talking about the Suns. And for those that think he meant playoffs - What's our playoff record when Nash scores 40 points and Richardson is held under 25 points?

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote of the night. Bet that was hard for the loudmouth to choke down.

He also said thought that 'He was watched the past two games of this series,' like he hasn't seen many Suns games outside of these two.

He did admit he was wrong about the Suns though, which was refreshing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He also said thought that 'He was watched the past two games of this series,' like he hasn't seen many Suns games outside of these two.

It's pretty obvious by his comments most the season he didn't watch much of the Suns. Didn't help that the Suns struggled so much on TNT which were probably the only games he paid much attention to.

Agreed it was nice to see him admit he was wrong since most analysts never do that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05