KG to LA?????

sunsfn

Reaction score
If the lakers are keeping Kobe, they do not have enough players/picks to get KG, forget it!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Odom (Always injured, never lived up to potential) and Bynum (proven nothing kid) is better than Marion (4 time all-star, ultimate team player with no leverage to opt out no matter what you say), KT (expiring contract/excellent defender) and 3 first round draft picks (Rebuild fast)?

Seriously, you’d take the Lakers junk instead? Wait, you’re a Lakers fan?

No kidding! Only N.Y. would take that over the Suns offer.

OP
OP
B

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
I really hope this is just rumors because i do not want the lakers to get KG. I really think though that the opinions on here are right and that the suns and wolves are just playing with eachother to see what happens. Either way we better end up with KG or a high pick and I will be happy. We best have Amare in a Suns uni though come next season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How do multiple trades work with salary involved? You can't match, match, match each team so how does that work?

Each team has to match its own incoming and outgoing salaries (within the fudge factor, assuming they are over the cap), but the amount of salary each team is moving doesn't have to match what other teams are doing.

For example:

Team 1 sends Player A ($12 million) to Team 2
Team 1 receives Player B ($10 million) from Team 2
Team 1 receives Player C ($2 million) from Team 3
$12 million outgoing, $12 million incoming

Team 2 sends Player B ($10 million) to Team 1
Team 2 sends Player D ($2 million) to Team 3
Team 2 receives Player A ($12 million) from Team 1

Team 3 sends Player C ($2 million) to Team 1
Team 3 receives Player D ($2 million) from Team 2
$2 million outgoing, $2 million incoming

Kind of a lame example but you get the idea.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each team has to match its own incoming and outgoing salaries (within the fudge factor, assuming they are over the cap), but the amount of salary each team is moving doesn't have to match what other teams are doing.

For example:

Team 1 sends Player A ($12 million) to Team 2
Team 1 receives Player B ($10 million) from Team 2
Team 1 receives Player C ($2 million) from Team 3

Team 2 sends Player B ($10 million) to Team 1
Team 2 sends Player D ($2 million) to Team 3
Team 2 receives Player A ($12 million) from Team 1

Team 3 sends Player C ($2 million) to Team 1
Team 3 receives Player D ($2 million) from Team 2
$2 million outgoing, $2 million incoming

Kind of a lame example but you get the idea.

Thanks e.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree with those who believe that Minny and the Suns are both posturing to a certain amount, but are beginning to look at back-up deals, which is what the Marion for high pick and Odom, Bynum, whatever would be for the Wolves. It's just gonna be a matter of who blinks first.

and D-Ddog, you can't talk about no one wanting Marion's contract without saying the same thing about a chronic underachiever who's got a serious history of injuries and is also on a contract that is wayyyyy over board.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and D-Ddog, you can't talk about no one wanting Marion's contract without saying the same thing about a chronic underachiever who's got a serious history of injuries and is also on a contract that is wayyyyy over board.

I'd rather have Lamar every day of the week, and twice on playoff days. Especially at $5 mil a year cheaper.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am the MT, I keep looking. I still don't think that is enough for KG. Especially, depending on who drafts who.

Totally, every team in that trade had better give Minnesota a 1st.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have Lamar every day of the week, and twice on playoff days. Especially at $5 mil a year cheaper.

yeah, problem is, while you'd take him every day of the week, his entire career shows you're only going to GET him every other day of the week depending on his injuries/consistency and as far as twice on playoff days, considering that Minny ain't gonna have ANY of those next year and more than likely the next, that pretty much accounts for nothing.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Per chard ford. Minnesota gets nothing more than they would in a 3-way with marion, and kevin mchale helps save the laker franchise.

Don't think he is that stupid. And if this deal does go down, shawn marion will not only be responsible for keeping garnett from us, but for making the lakers contenders, nice..

Are the Boston Celtics the key to moving Kevin Garnett to L.A.?

The Los Angeles Times reported on Monday that the Lakers were in discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves about a trade that would send Garnett to the Lakers. The trade would also involve the Indiana Pacers and possibly a fourth team.

After speaking with a league source, I think the deal has some legs, though it doesn't appear imminent.

According to the source, the key to completing the deal is finding a fourth team that would (a) take Jermaine O'Neal and (b) send the Timberwolves enough pieces to complete the deal.

For instance, here's one scenario that could work:

The Wolves send Kevin Garnett and Marko Jaric to the Lakers.

The Lakers send Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum to the Pacers and the No. 19 pick to the Wolves.

The Pacers send Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics.

The Celtics send the No. 5 pick, Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair to Minnesota.

Here's what that trade looks like in the Trade Machine, keeping in mind that there will also be draft picks involved.

The deal seems as though it would probably work for the Lakers, Pacers and Celtics.

The Lakers would get the guy they want to pair with Kobe in KG. Surely that would end any talk of a Kobe trade this summer.

The Pacers would get the two guys they want in exchange for O'Neal in Odom and Bynum. They've been waiting patiently for a straight-up swap with L.A. for weeks involving those three players (and a draft pick).

The Celtics would get another star quality player to pair with Paul Pierce without having to give up Al Jefferson.

But is it enough for Minnesota? That's the question.

The deal would give the Wolves more than $20 million in cap relief next summer and two additional picks in this year's draft. It also would give them two young prospects in Green and Telfair.

It may, however, fall a little short for Minnesota in the talent department. Perhaps the Wolves would bite if another young player or future draft pick were included.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this is a look at what might be under discussion. Makes sense, and the 5 pick goes to Minny, and Indy gets the 19 from LA.

This trade does make sense, atleast to me.... McHale gets picks and expiering contracts which ihe is quoted by saying he wants for Garnett, just this morning), L.A. gets their Superstar to pair next to Kobe, IND gets a couple good players, and Boston gets their man to put with Pierce...

I like it, though IMO the Lakers outside their two stars, wouldn't have much

PG: Famar/PArker
SG: Kobe/Vujenic
SF: Walton?/
PF: Cook?/
C: Garnett/

They have 2 superstars, and not much else, and no cap room either.... hmm... but Kobe would be happy and they would be EXTREMLY marketable.. so that could factor into it as well....

overall I think its a good trade for all parties.... IMO

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and note that the problem is that the team giving up the biggest piece gets screwed the most. Minny wouldn't take that deal IMO.

Minny covets the 5 pick, and gets a TON of expiring capspace. Rebuilding mode, and Hoibert comes in to fix what McHale ruined. Donnie Walsh covets Bynum. Boston with JO and Pierce could win their division. Lakers get no depth but pair KG and KB, might not be the best in the league but certainly the most intense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minny covets the 5 pick, and gets a TON of expiring capspace.

with our three-way with Boston, Minny gets the #5, a TON of expiring cap space AND the Hawks unprotected likely lotto pick next year. That deal is better for them, plain and simple and I don't believe whatever smoke Marion's agent has blown has destroyed the deal - it just gave Minny the chance to try and up the ante to get the Suns to include Amare, which ain't happening and when reality set in about Marion's comments, no one takes him seriously.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is now the frontpage story on espn.com, I should be worried, but I smell minny playing a game of poker. Which begs the question, who in the blue hell do kevin mchale and glen taylor think they are?

Apparently I missed the memo where they became a competent front office.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Lakers, Wolves reportedly in talks regarding Garnett
ESPN.com news services
Updated: June 25, 2007, 5:13 PM ET

If the Lakers are trying to get Kobe Bryant to change his mind about leaving, they're off to a good start.

The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.

Trade discussions have involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and possibly a fourth team. The report says that the Lakers would get Garnett, while the Pacers would land Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. The Wolves would likely acquire a lottery pick and young players. Another team would also have to be involved to make the deal work financially.

The fourth team that could make this work is the Celtics, a source told ESPN Insider's Chad Ford. Boston would get Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers. Blog

According to the Times, Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Wolves owner Glen Taylor spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes on Friday. Buss then suggested that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale carry on the discussions on Monday.

Bryant has repeatedly asked for a trade over the past month, saying that he doesn't feel that the Lakers are trying hard enough to improve. After losing in the NBA Finals four years ago, the Lakers missed the playoffs in 2004-05 and were out of the postseason in the first round the past two years.

Garnett has never publicly requested a trade despite the fact that the Wolves have struggled to remain competitive in recent years. Minnesota finished with a 32-50 record last season. The Wolves haven't been to the playoffs since 2004.

With Garnett able to opt out of his contract after next season, the time might be right for the Wolves to pull the trigger on a deal. McHale said last week that he has not been actively shopping his star, but that was a bit of a departure from previous statements in which he said he would not trade Garnett.

The 12-year veteran is owed $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the final year of his contract. He has requested an extension and the Times is reporting that Buss has told Taylor he would be willing to do that.

Garnett averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists last season. He is a 10-time All-Star.

Bynum's name has come up often in any trade talks concerning the Lakers recently. He averaged 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds last season but is only 19 years old and 7 feet tall.

Odom averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, but he did miss 26 games because of injuries. He has shoulder surgery in May but is expected to return for next season.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
So now McHale is looking to get cap space and draft picks? Is that not what the orignal three way deal with PHX/BOS/MIN accomplished. I don't think the Wolves can get a better offer IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05