KG to LA?????

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yeah but the team with the biggest chip on the table is the team which the ENTIRE trade revolves around, that's why Minny dictates the deal. The whole thing is predicated on KG.

I'm not saying it won't happen - it very well could, and I'd be pissed, but I think the only way it happens is if McHale just completely screws the pooch. It just doesn't make sense to take #5 and cap space instead of #5m cap space AND unprotected likely lotto pick. But this is the man who engineered a huge under the table contract for a scrub liek Joe Smith, so who knows.

Oh my god, I was just thinking about this yesterday. And this was done at a point where it was clear that joe smith was not going to be anything more that a serviceable NBA player, yet McHale was willing to do something that stupid.

It would be like us agreeing to an under the table deal with p.j. brown this summer.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mnsportsfans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14695

Jim Gray was just on Espn, and a Wolves fan posted this gist of what was said:

"This sounds like a ton of BS. He is saying Minnesota and the Lakers love the idea Pacers and Cetlics dont. The trade isnt close to being finalized it wont happen today if at all. Its not close at all and this is Laker talk IMO."

That's interesting. Out of all of it I'd think Minny would be the most waffling on it.

Boston, I don't know why they would be off about it.

Pacers want the 19 pick, but that would go to Minny probably...so the Lakers would have to give them their 40 or something else.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
L.A. would have 41 MILLION dollars invested in 2 PLAYERS....

Well, the Lakers had $38M this year invested in Kobe, Odom, Mihm and McKie; the latter two never even played.

Also, both KG and KB can opt out, so the salaries arent *that* much of an albatross imo.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
In multiple team deals, ALL of them dictate the deal. That's why they are hard to pull off.

True to a point but THE key factor in all of this is KG and his agent. With his opt-out clause he has power in the entire situation.

If he doesn't view the Lakers as a contender and only wants to play for a contender (ie Suns, Spurs, Mavs), then this deal is dead in the water. If you believe the rumors that he only wants to go to Phoenix then this whole thing is nothing but a ruse to get the Suns to trade Amare.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Lakers had $38M this year invested in Kobe, Odom, Mihm and McKie; the latter two never even played.

Also, both KG and KB can opt out, so the salaries arent *that* much of an albatross imo.

Not with Dr. Buss extending KG.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Out of all of it I'd think Minny would be the most waffling on it.

if this is true, then we will have learned our final lesson to never underestimate the sheer stupidity resting inside of what Kevin McHale refers to as his brain.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is scary about the KG to the Lakers scenario is they have nothing to lose if they keep Kobe and gain KG. The Lakers can virtually give Minnesota any and all of their assets. Desperate people do desperate things.

It brings to mind the lyrics of a Don Henley song. There's nothing worse than dealing with some "Wild-eyed pistol wavers Who aint afraid to die..."

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not with Dr. Buss extending KG.

Look at you getting all excited. The foreseeable future of the lakers could ride on this.

Now I'm hoping it falls apart since all laker fans seem to really have gotten their hopes up.

Btw if McHale rebuilds the lakers for a deal he could have gotten in other places, they should pull his number from the rafters at the fleet center.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look at you getting all excited. The foreseeable future of the lakers could ride on this.

Now I'm hoping it falls apart since all laker fans seem to really have gotten their hopes up.

Laker fans have been saying the same thing about us for the past week.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I don't see why Suns fans should be scared of the Lakers, even with KG. From the Suns' perspective, the difference between the Lakers with and without KG is that with KG, the Lakers will lose before Phoenix gets to them rather than matching up in the first round again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Lakers would have to decimate their entire team to get KG. Laker fans need to realize that NOBODY WANTS KWAME BROWN!

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Laker fans have been saying the same thing about us for the past week.

Except if we don't get garnett, we still should be fine.

It's not like Nash is forcing his way out unless we get garnett.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers would have to decimate their entire team to get KG. Laker fans need to realize that NOBODY WANTS KWAME BROWN!

their team sucks anyway, so what's the big deal? If they can actually get him for Odom/Bynum/pick, that instantly makes them much better next year and that doesn't even take into account guys they can sign with the MLE and LLE, which would look much more attractive with a Kobe/KG pairing.

Kobe
Farmar
Walton
KG
Brown

is essentially what they had this year but with a HUGE upgrade of KG over Odom.

on their bench, they still have a recovered Vlad, someone with the MLE and someone with the LLE - that's not a bona-fide title team, but it's a HELL of a lot better than last year and the previous year's drek.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Btw if McHale rebuilds the lakers for a deal he could have gotten in other places, they should pull his number from the rafters at the fleet center.

Hey, KG to LA speculation is ooooooold hat for us Laker fans. It's a friggin art form.

This isn't excitement, it's just a rehash of feelings of old.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kwame Brown = 9 million dollars cap relief. That is attractive no matter who it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kwame Brown = 9 million dollars cap relief. That is attractive no matter who it is.

not if it's saddled with another huge contract that runs longer than that because Odom's deal still leaves them with not enough cap room to make a play, even if Kwame's 9 comes off the books.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not if it's saddled with another huge contract that runs longer than that because Odom's deal still leaves them with not enough cap room to make a play, even if Kwame's 9 comes off the books.

I could agree if they went to the same place, but as outlined in Chad Ford's, Odom and Bynum go to Indy. Kwame goes to Minny with other expiring K's/young talent. And the 5 and 19 pick.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mnsportsfans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14695

Jim Gray was just on Espn, and a Wolves fan posted this gist of what was said...

Wolf On The Prowl says: "This sounds like a ton of BS. He is saying Minnesota and the Lakers love the idea Pacers and Cetlics dont. The trade isnt close to being finalized it wont happen today if at all. Its not close at all and this is Laker talk IMO."

Haven't seen Jim Gray, but this was on ClubLakers regarding the interview:

IND and BOS are having reservations mainly if JO is willing to go to Boston and sign off on a extension while Indiana wants to know if Lamar Odom is willing to come to IND.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
their team sucks anyway, so what's the big deal? If they can actually get him for Odom/Bynum/pick, that instantly makes them much better next year and that doesn't even take into account guys they can sign with the MLE and LLE, which would look much more attractive with a Kobe/KG pairing.

Kobe
Farmar
Walton
KG
Brown

is essentially what they had this year but with a HUGE upgrade of KG over Odom.

on their bench, they still have a recovered Vlad, someone with the MLE and someone with the LLE - that's not a bona-fide title team, but it's a HELL of a lot better than last year and the previous year's drek.

Walton is an unrestricted F.A., so they will have to spend most of the MLE to keep him... and the LLE... I dunno... maybe smush Parker who is also a F.A... or James Posey....

Also there is no way they still keep Kwame in this deal anyway, because Minneosota is already getting the short end of the stick, and would want Brown for his expiering contract...

PG: Famar/Parker
SG: Kobe/Vujenic
SF: Walton/Radmonivic
PF: Cook?/?
C: Garnett/?

they have NO front court depth, virtually no back court depth, no rebounding outside of Garnett, and no future...

While I think they will be improved, I completly disagree that they would be force in the Western Conference....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Were the Suns willing to do the contract extension for KG?
The Suns also might not be willing to take on Jaric's horrific contract which lowers the value of any KG deal. Might be the reason why Kerr has hinted at the difficulty of getting things done without the luxury of adding salary.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ford's rumor makes no sense. Minnesota trades away Garnett for the #5, the #19, and a load of crap? I don't think so.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Celtics would be better off with Marion than O'Neal, assuming they keep Jefferson. O'Neal makes $4 million per year more, is usually injured, and would only get in the way of their young big man.

Whether O'Neal or Marion is more valuable depends on the team. If the Pacers offered O'Neal for Marion straight up (include a filler Suns contract if you like), the Suns would be correct to say no.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05