Kicked out by S.A.F.E. for "excessive standing" with 4 minutes left in the 4th

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I figured out where some of the confusion over this issue has come from. I failed to read the fine print under this year's mantra/motto that is printed right on the front of the season tickets:

PLAY AS MANY. STAND AS ONE.

*Disclaimer: Not to be taken literally. Please do not actually STAND AS ONE. Doing so will result in you being promptly removed from the premises. Thank you.

:biglaugh: :|

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are the ages of everyone who has been kicked out or close to? I am 31 (but look 25) and I have been talked to but never kicked out. Generally I pull out my bar card and season ticket card and challenge them to tell me I am wrong, and it works (yes, I am that ****** lawyer). I did have a friend get tossed once though who was younger than me.

I just wonder if they are assuming that the younger fans are more unruly? I have no idea.

I need to stop reading this thread, it just infuriates me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are the ages of everyone who has been kicked out or close to? I am 31 (but look 25) and I have been talked to but never kicked out. Generally I pull out my bar card and season ticket card and challenge them to tell me I am wrong, and it works (yes, I am that ****** lawyer). I did have a friend get tossed once though who was younger than me.

I just wonder if they are assuming that the younger fans are more unruly? I have no idea.

I need to stop reading this thread, it just infuriates me.

All ages. I personally witnessed O from ASFN get mistreated and booted out. He's old. :D

KiDStallyn

Veteran
Reaction score
This same exact thing happened to CardDan a few years ago, and he has not returned to a game since. That guy is one of the most loyal and dedicated fans I know, painted his entire bald head white and put a cardinals logo on his face for every single game. Traveled all the way to Tampa to watch his team in the Super Bowl, only to have this SAME EXACT SCENARIO where he was kicked out of a game due to a "complaint" from an opposing fan for "Excessive Standing".

He's not the only one, he won't be the last. It really sucks that the home town fans are treated this way. Absolute BS.

CardsChick

Reaction score
Excessive Standing Arizona Cardinals

I believe there are 3 sides to every story, the truth is weighed in between. In this case, I believe the majority (95%) would agree with our version.

If anyone would have asked us to sit because they couldn't see, we would respect that. No one did. In all 6 years no one ever has...

Go to Club Section 218, ask any season ticket holder in our section, a lot of them ran up the concourse in our defense and were told to go away. Some filled out statements, 2 left the game in protest. Season Tickets since 2004, we often tailgate with people in our section. We come from Las Vegas for Cardinals home games, drive or fly, go the stadium to watch the early games. Our reason for purchasing club seats.. ability to watch the early games. Personally I'd rather be downstairs. Section 218 booed SAFE security, it has never happened before, same seats since UoP stadium opened.

Steve did say to SAFE, "But the defense is on the field with 4 minutes in the game?!!" Of course he was distraught, he was missing it. Peterson intercepted while this hypertensive, blustering, security guard was going to show us "Who's Boss!" His supervisor (unnamed female) had no idea what the discussion was about, but saw the interaction, she never even asked what it was about, came over and immediately said, "You can't talk to him like that, you can leave of your own free will or be arrested." Quote Steve attempting to explain, "But it WAS 3rd DOWN??!! The Defense was motioning to stand! There's a guy on the field holding a sign "RISE UP RED SEA!?? You gotta be kidding me??!!" The door usher from our section who sees us every game, a red-headed lady, ran to our defense, and the supervisor told her to stay out of it.

Please go look at my son's Twitter account @stevecawthon, you will not find a better Cardinals Fan, or a more polite young man. He runs the Social Media dept for a National Brand. His Father is an Airline Captain (the reason he was not drinking), former AZ Air National guard F-16 pilot, former AF F-16 pilot, who flew with Coach Whisenhunt's brother 25 years ago, his sister-in-law actually married us in 1984 when we were stationed at McDill AFB, we were good friends with her, but have lost contact over the years (feel free to verify.) Clearly that was long before Coach Whisenhunt was with the Cardinals. We really are a very nice family. Many people ran to our defense but were ignored. If you met the security guard in question I believe just looking at him would speak volumes.

I do not want to stereo-type about rented security, but this man is the epitome of a cliche'.

- Deborah

Last edited by a moderator:

CardsChick

Reaction score
Sorry, new to this format. Never been on Message Boards before.
I will try harder.

Father age 55
Son age 26

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome CardsChick.

Just ignore Mulli - he will grow on you, like mold.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome CardsChick.

Just ignore Mulli - he will grow on you, like mold.
jumping_smilie.gif

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His Father is an Airline Captain (the reason he was not drinking), former AZ Air National guard F-16 pilot, former AF F-16 pilot, who flew with Coach Whisenhunt's brother 25 years ago, his sister-in-law actually married us in 1984 when we were stationed at McDill AFB, we were good friends with her, but have lost contact over the years (feel free to verify.)

Find out who Whisenhunt's secretary is and send this to her. Address it to her, not Whiz. Tell her everything you've said here.

I would. She'd know who to pass it on to that could actually DO something. And this personalizes it.

These stories are unreal. No fan of the team should be treated this way.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I miss this thread for a few days, and look what happens? My mom hops on the board and posts my story... I thought at first someone was just copying and pasting what was posted in the comments section on the Cardinals site. :D

Mom, remind me to teach you how message board etiquette works, haha. Thanks for the support.

But yes, to answer the question, I'm 26, my father is 55, but definitely looks younger. I appreciate the people who have had our back with this.

I know someone said they can't support someone that isn't going to Cardinals games anymore, and I guess I respect that, and might have said the same thing to someone a few weeks before. "Get over it," is kind of the thought, but at the same time, it's difficult to go back and pour my heart out for the team when there's that neverending risk of getting kicked out permanently. Maybe a while down the line, I'll feel different, but as it stands, it really sticks in my craw.

The family and I have communicated this to many people, and let's hope the Cardinals do something about it long term. But I'm not sure they can do anything to change my mind about coming back.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I miss this thread for a few days, and look what happens? My mom hops on the board and posts my story... I thought at first someone was just copying and pasting what was posted in the comments section on the Cardinals site. :D

Mom, remind me to teach you how message board etiquette works, haha. Thanks for the support.

But yes, to answer the question, I'm 26, my father is 55, but definitely looks younger. I appreciate the people who have had our back with this.

I know someone said they can't support someone that isn't going to Cardinals games anymore, and I guess I respect that, and might have said the same thing to someone a few weeks before. "Get over it," is kind of the thought, but at the same time, it's difficult to go back and pour my heart out for the team when there's that neverending risk of getting kicked out permanently. Maybe a while down the line, I'll feel different, but as it stands, it really sticks in my craw.

The family and I have communicated this to many people, and let's hope the Cardinals do something about it long term. But I'm not sure they can do anything to change my mind about coming back.
lol, I didn't even put 2 and 2 together that she was your mom

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This same exact thing happened to CardDan a few years ago, and he has not returned to a game since. That guy is one of the most loyal and dedicated fans I know, painted his entire bald head white and put a cardinals logo on his face for every single game. Traveled all the way to Tampa to watch his team in the Super Bowl, only to have this SAME EXACT SCENARIO where he was kicked out of a game due to a "complaint" from an opposing fan for "Excessive Standing".

He's not the only one, he won't be the last. It really sucks that the home town fans are treated this way. Absolute BS.
Yamon, I started my Standing thread with the Card Dan name in the title, I remember that. One of the coolest fans and he gets bounced so hard, he couldn't come back from it. I personally might go back, but I doubt it will be this year.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/card-dan-had-it-right-184706.html

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!
I resemble that remark!
:)

O' isnt that old, well if so he has great aim with a quarter! LOL

(Last game at SDS me Gee, O and Koot or KOC stood at the back of the NEZ and just threw change hitting every opposing fan until they started a fight with the guys above them thinking it was coming down from the nosebleeds) it was probably one of the best memories ive ever had at SDS

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I remember that. And by the way, if ANYONE is guilty of excessive standing, it's you haha. I can only imagine SAFE pulling you out of your seats during one of your on-screen appearances.

KiDStallyn

Veteran
Reaction score
I remember that. And by the way, if ANYONE is guilty of excessive standing, it's you haha. I can only imagine SAFE pulling you out of your seats during one of your on-screen appearances.

Dude.....It's almost happened......I got into it with a "new guy" during player intros a couple of seasons ago.....Almost didn't even make it to kickoff in that particular game. Even better, the camera guy was right below me at the time, and I was getting the crowd pumped up before the player intros started......When the camera guy left, the safe guy was like, you need to sit down, you can't be doing that. Now, I will still effected by the multiple adult beverages I had partaken in during the tailgate. It got ugly QUICK. Thankfully, one of the regular SAFE guys, and the supervisors, who I happen to know pretty well came in to diffuse the situation, and set the "new guy" straight. I typically treat opposing fans with respect in our section. There are several seats around me that are opposing fans every single week. Rarely have I had any issues. It's a give and take with the amount of crap we throw towards each other, and in almost every single case, we'll shake hands and say good game when it's over. There's only a couple of times where things got heated, and thankfully the relationships I've made with DPS and SAFE supervisors have gone in my favor leaving the other guy being led out. The only time I actually had to take action, was actually against a cards fan on the NFC Championship game. Mess with my kids, I'll make ya pay. Dude just about knocked both my boys onto the field......He ended up three rows back, and DPS, who saw the whole thing jumped the wall in a steroid rage and took him off in cuffs. I'm generally a pretty mild mannered guy..... lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I'm gonna try and say this as delicately as I can: If you want to stand up and be rowdy and make noise and act like the hoi polloi, get out of the club level seats. Look around the Club Level ring, and you'll see why S.A.F.E. is going to be particularly sensitive to complaints coming from that section. Those seats aren't revenue-shared, and the team is clearly having a hard time making sure that they get renewals for people willing to pay $155 per game and up. The expectation for behavior in those areas is going to be much higher.

Move down to the main level between the 20s and you'll find that the behavior is a little more animated and the security is a little more permissive.