King Of Rock-N-Roll?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have the first post in this newly "revamped" forum...

First, I would like to thank ChandlerMike for his excellent brainstorm and also for following through....

This question can stir some interesting debate, which is....
Who is/was the King Of Rock-N-Roll? I know that Elvis was dubbed that nickname, but to me personally he is somewhat over-rated... True he was one of rock's first major celebrities and did broaden his career when he began to appear in movies, but the fact is that he never wrote his own material...He did impact singers like John Lennon, but how many other bands can truely claim that he really influenced their over-all sound?

If someone were to ask me who mine is....Here's my answer...

I believe who was on the verge of becoming the initial
King Of Rock-N-Roll was from Lubbock, TX, but unfortunately on
2/2/59 transpired, he passed prematurely and so essentially as they say that was "the day that music died"....

Buddy Holly had the biggest influence on most of the
British Invasion bands and he was merely 22 when he passed away... I just imagine how much further he would have revolutionalized music, he began expanding his sound by
incorporating strings into his song, just like what he did in
"True Love Ways".....

So, what are your's (fellow music lovers) opinions on this particular topic?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoa...

22 years old and he is the KING?

I would vote the Monkeys on the sole reason that they were a huge influence on the Beatles

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Whoa...

22 years old and he is the KING?

I would vote the Monkeys on the sole reason that they were a huge influence on the Beatles

Actually, that would mean that Charles Manson had a major influence on The Beatles because rumor has it that he actually tried out for the Monkees! :D

Led Zeppelin and Hendrix I would definitely rank up there w/in my top-10 favorite bands/performers of all-time....

I don't know if I should continue to talk music, because I might tend to come across as an extreme "music snob"....HAHA....:D

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I gotta go with Carl Perkins and/or Jerry Lee Lewis.

Gotta love Zep and Hendrix, but without the SUn records sound, none of that ever happens.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"Chuck, chuck!! It's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Berry. You know that 'new sound' you're lookin' for... well listen to this!!!"

:D

Chuck was the father of Rock'n Roll. In my opinion, Elvis was the father of modern country music.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to take this thread a little further.....

Who do you think was the "King/Queen" or "Mother/Father" of certain genres....

For example....

People credit Neil Young for being the "Father" of Grunge...But I personally feel
that bands like Faith No More and Meat Puppets deserve more recognition for the Grunge movement than they actually do.....

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, just FYI - Eddie Cochran had been labeled the King of Rock before Elvis - until his untimely death in an auto accident in England. Elvis came on the scene shortly after that happened I think the "title" just sort of fell to him. :D

But if I was to pick - then you couldn't do worse than either Chuck Berry, Fats Domino or Ray Charles.

Shawn

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The "Kings" of rock and roll
Robert Johnson
McKinley Morganfield aka Muddy Waters
Leadbelly
Howlin Wolf