Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention what a bad move this is from New York. Crawford and Richardson are two of the streakiest shooters in the NBA. They also like to shoot a lot of shots. Isaiah Thomas makes yet another move that will solidify his place as the worst GM in NBA history. Well, that is next to Dan Issel.

We all know that the Phoenix Suns signed Richardson last summer as the best player available for the money. It could be that they figured that even if he wasn't the best fit for the team he would be a decent trade commodity with his contract. I'm still surprised he was traded so early though.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What I wonder is if we could get someone with the same general skill set as Thomas, but maybe a bit younger and maybe taller.

Hmm, like ... Joe Smith! :thumbup:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2093093

Fourth story on the ESPN frontpage now...

Usually that means the trade is serious and going down.

Wow, not sure how I feel about losing Q, but he did jack during the playoffs, and we need more interior defense.

Mike

Yes.. but the problem is that some times ESPN grasps at straws for their sources... I wouldnt be shocked if Chad Ford's source is Chris Reina and he too is such a "glory hound" that he wants partial credit for breaking this story (not realizing if it could be so false)....

Oh well.. just guess we will all have to await-and-see....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm still surprised he was traded so early though.

You think it's a done deal, Joe? I'm guessing it's still only about 20% that it happens.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this trade is true it makes some sense.

The Suns probably don't see much in the "big" men they will be able to draft, but there should be someone at the 2 or 3 to replace Q. They also have Jackson. The bigs that will be available through free agency will be out of our price range, so maybe this would be the best way to meet our need.

As long as that first rounder is coming our way I am ok with this trade.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

You think it's a done deal, Joe? I'm guessing it's still only about 20% that it happens.

I'm sorry, I should have said "being shopped so early".

Joe

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KloD said:
If this trade is true it makes some sense.

The Suns probably don't see much in the "big" men they will be able to draft, but there should be someone at the 2 or 3 to replace Q. They also have Jackson. The bigs that will be available through free agency will be out of our price range, so maybe this would be the best way to meet our need.

As long as that first rounder is coming our way I am ok with this trade.

That article says we're sending a first rounder...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Yeah, I think that's why Ford's article is a little altered from the RealGM one--he said they were "talking" about it, while the Reina's said it was a done deal. Ford once again protecting himself.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The local stations are only using RealGM as the source. I don't see this deal happening at all! Unless we are getting the #8 pick from NY.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also... wouldnt the local media be all of this story if it indeed was true? Wouldnt
azcentral.com be plastering everything all over their website by now?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I agree. I also think the Phoenix Suns would still need to find a bigger player in the draft and/or free agency to help in the middle against some of the bigger opponents. I also think a move like this would make Shawn Marion and JJ happier. It would give both a film a few more shots, and more importantly Shawn Marion wouldn't have to play opposing power forwards very often.

When was the last time a trade was "pending with the league" before we even had a whiff of it?

Joe Mama

the marbury trade took most of us by surprise. i remember hearing of it on the radio before seeing anything on here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Well, I step back and graciously bow to Andy on this one... :D

"Conditional first-round pick"? Uh oh, that sounds like lottery protection through 2010. :(

And for the record, Thomas is too old. There, I said it.

um it seems like we're ones GIVING the pick in that ford article . . .

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
no az central would not have this. they are a news paper that is updated at night. they cannot post news through the course of the day unless it was a done deal. the way i see it the suns have to consumate the deal now. bad damage if they do not....KT is a very good addition and now are rebounding and interior defense is a strength. add another wing man as well as back ups PF and C ( i think hunter is still a priority) and we have as a good a shot as any to be 2006 Champs!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am still not sure the Suns would trade Q remember Q was Roberts Sauvers signing. He was very impressed with Q. I just don't see the owner saying he made a mistake.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well the AP doesn't have it, and Yahoo has always been pretty quick with their write-ups of stuff like this and THEY don't have it. Neither does MSNBC, CBS or CNNSI.

Besides, all Ford's article says, really, is that they are talking about it--the only places that say it's done is RealGM and apparently local radio, who probably got their report from RealGM.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Well if this is true ColoradoSun got his wish. I hope its fake though, I am all for getting a big man, but Kurt Thomas? A 33 year old center is not what I had in mind though. He has a 4 year/30 million dollar contract, I think thats more than I'd be willing to be pay for an aging center.

I don't like this deal. I knew I would be a target once this came out and I'm sorry nobody else saw the duplicity of Q and JJ.

I would prefer a younger or more athletic center than Thomas. I heard it on ESPN radio.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
No, it's trading one of two pieces that led to the 3rd greatest regular season turnaround in NBA history, not trading the "5th option".

yeah, chaps right, amare, marion and jj had nothing to do with that. neither did dantoni installing his crazy system. or trading for jjax. it was all steve nash and q.

c'mon, q was the fifth most important player on this team. period. i love q. love his tenacity. love his emotion. but if he has to go to get a big (and despite kurt's age, he's a big who rebounds, plays hardnosed defense, and can shoot the elbow midrange jumper), he has to go.

but with the difference in ages, we'd better be the ones getting the pick . . .

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Good trade, if true.

It will allow us to continue our running ways, with Nash, Matrix, Amare and both JJ's, but it will greatly improve our half court offense as well, with both Thomas and Amare down low.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Well the AP doesn't have it, and Yahoo has always been pretty quick with their write-ups of stuff like this and THEY don't have it. Neither does MSNBC, CBS or CNNSI.

Besides, all Ford's article says, really, is that they are talking about it--the only places that say it's done is RealGM and apparently local radio, who probably got their report from RealGM.

XTRA910 is talking right now with Paul Coro of the Republic, and how Bryan and Q's agent both called him in NY to let him know before he heard it elsewhere...

Seems real to me.

Mike

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I dont like this trade at all, we defined our selves as a run and gun team last year and being as young as we are are only going to get better now we add a slow footed under sized power forward the put up decent numbers on a horrible team because he was one of the better options they had... not only that but Q will get better Kurt Thomas has already seen his prime go by..... bad trade and completely defeats what it looked like this team was trying to accomplish... I for one have not desire to watch a team like San Antonio or Detriot and it seems like this makes our Suns more in that mold... Boring basketball which has made this NBA Finals virtually impossible to watch.... WTF