Kobe demands trade

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the big question is HOW DUMB IS JIM BUSS/KUPCAKE? How little will they get for Kobe, considering how badly they got fleeced in the Shaq/Butler deals and not pulling the trigger on Boozer or Davis?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
staying with the Lakers leaves him with a deal where he ain't on a contender - and HE'S PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER 1. Not exactly a consolation prize there.

I don't think he's public enemy number one. Front office enemy number one, yes, but I think the fanbase is more frustrated with the front office. Kobe isn't making up stuff here, and as it comes out (and it will) who the insider was I'm sure that will also piss off the fans (assuming it is Jim Buss).

Shaq saying what he did about Kobe and the situation only serves to help him.

It all comes down to what Jerry Buss wants to do...does Jeannie get the power scraps instead of Jim? Does Mitch stay? Do they try to trade Kobe? None of this is written in stone.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Not sure the Lakers would want Nash, but you can be sure that D'antoni isn't trading him for anyone.

I think Kobe/Kwame for Marion/Barbosa/Thomas/Atlanta Pick is a pretty decent deal.

Like I think with Kevin Garnett, if we really wanted to trade for a player I think we can offer more than anyone else simply because we are the most talented team and have more trading chips than anyone else.

No way I'd do that as Lakers mgmt. Without Nash, Marion is even more overpaid than he already is on the Suns now. Your proposal would be equivalent to LB/Picks for Kobe. No way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure the Lakers would want Nash, but you can be sure that D'antoni isn't trading him for anyone.

then DA needs to be fired.

I think Kobe/Kwame for Marion/Barbosa/Thomas/Atlanta Pick is a pretty decent deal.

Like I think with Kevin Garnett, if we really wanted to trade for a player I think we can offer more than anyone else simply because we are the most talented team and have more trading chips than anyone else.

I don't know about the Lakers not wanting Nash - if Kobe stays firm, there's no way in hell I see Phil coming back and the Lakers will have to COMPLETELY revamp their team, from top to bottom and the only guy that can have them at a level to save face and actually LOOK like a real team again in LA is Nash, along with Marion and the pick. That was the Lakers can say to their fans - we have the MVP and are in the running for now, but we also have a lotto pick next year to help for the future.

that being said, Kobe won't be a Sun for Nash or the Marion/Barbs pick. but it sure will be interesting to see where he DOES end up.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Maybe I am the only one but Marion had better years before he ever played with Nash, dont you agree?

But mostly losing. And who cares about stats? A team with Marion as the best or second best player is doomed. Agree?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's public enemy number one. Front office enemy number one, yes, but I think the fanbase is more frustrated with the front office. Kobe isn't making up stuff here, and as it comes out (and it will) who the insider was I'm sure that will also piss off the fans (assuming it is Jim Buss).

Shaq saying what he did about Kobe and the situation only serves to help him.

It all comes down to what Jerry Buss wants to do...does Jeannie get the power scraps instead of Jim? Does Mitch stay? Do they try to trade Kobe? None of this is written in stone.

you don't live in LA (liek I do), where half the city already hates him because of their undying love for Shaq. Now he wants to be traded? Trust me, I listen to sports radio whenever I'm in the car, and the tide has turned. Just imagine how much worse it will be when the Lakers bring back this same pathetic team next year as the West gets tougher.

Yeah, Kobe, on a crap team which he's already thrown under the bus - not exactly the figure of adoration in a fickle front-running town like LA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could somehow get Kobe without giving up Nash and Amaré, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

This makes no sense. We already know from the Lakers experience that having only Kobe doesn't win a title. I thought that was the goal. Why become the Lakers part deux? You need to keep Nash, Amare or both to have a shot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
you don't live in LA (liek I do), where half the city already hates him because of their undying love for Shaq. Now he wants to be traded? Trust me, I listen to sports radio whenever I'm in the car, and the tide has turned. Just imagine how much worse it will be when the Lakers bring back this same pathetic team next year as the West gets tougher.

Yeah, Kobe, on a crap team which he's already thrown under the bus - not exactly the figure of adoration in a fickle front-running town like LA.

Exactly. Contrary to popular belief outside of LA, I find very few Laker fans that particularly like Kobe Bryant. They love his talent, but they seem to universally despise him as a person.

Could Jerry's passenger in his car be Kobe's Wife? ;) j/k

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes no sense. We already know from the Lakers experience that having only Kobe doesn't win a title. I thought that was the goal. Why become the Lakers part deux? You need to keep Nash, Amare or both to have a shot.

if all we had was Amare and Kobe, I'd be pretty confident about our shot to win a title for the next 6 years. With Nash and the current supporting cast, I have confidence for one more year, two at best.

this is all a pipe dream though - unless Buss/Kupcake are even DUMBER than I already believe them to be - and trust me, that's plenty dumb!

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I listen to LA radio, and the tide is turning actually, in Kobe's favor. Also the articles. And with Shaq backing up the claims, and when it comes down to it being Jim Buss who is the insider and the cause of front office fighting, well Kobe won't be viewed as a villian.

Half the city hates him is a huge understatement....most of the media hates him, but most of the fans love him. It's not like I dont' have family in LA and I don't read and listen to LA media. I'm already hearing it...from Shaq fans. The "fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice, shame on you" feeling is being directed at the FO, not at Kobe or Shaq.

National media is already being soft on Kobe.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq:

"I believe Kobe 100 percent," said O'Neal, reached yesterday while in Los Angeles on business. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent. I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."

On many articles...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is so far fetched to think Buss and cupcake would deal with the Suns, I can't see why anyone thinks any of this is other than pure fantasy.

BTW, am I missing something or was trading Horry to the Lakers the last time the two teams did a straight up deal? (I vaguely remember a multiteam deal that the Suns participated by providing Luc which helped on matching salaries, but that wasn't staight up).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On many articles...

Obviously Shaq has no love lost for bus. However, he has no love lost for Kobe either. How many articles have I read that says he will never speak to Kobe again either? Sounds like a lack of communication and respect to go all around in the Lakers organization.

It is so far fetched to think Buss and cupcake would deal with the Suns, I can't see why anyone thinks any of this is other than pure fantasy.

BTW, am I missing something or was trading Horry to the Lakers the last time the two teams did a straight up deal? (I vaguely remember a multiteam deal that the Suns participated by providing Luc which helped on matching salaries, but that wasn't staight up).

I agree. It's fun to speculate but I don't see the Lakers dealing with someone in their division.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
None recently...they buried that hatchet more than a year ago.

Really? Because earlier this year I was watching a post game interview in which a reporter asked Shaq if he would ever pick up the phone and call Kobe. His response? "No. Why would I"? I think that interview was this year was it not?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Because earlier this year I was watching a post game interview in which a reporter asked Shaq if he would ever pick up the phone and call Kobe. His response? "No. Why would I"? I think that interview was this year was it not?

Don't recall it. Doesn't sound like anything from the last year though...maybe mid last season, prior to the AS game. Those types of comments were made by both guys around the time right before they kissed and made up. They aren't friends by any means, but the "rivalry" between them died out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll admit that this has risen to the level of "interesting," but I'll still be flabbergasted if Bryant is traded this summer. I'll put the probability at 15% maximum.

The Lakers have no interest in Nash. They might take Stoudemire. But then the Suns have no big men at all. The Lakers could include Brown but then I can't see how the numbers add up.

To be honest I don't think the Suns could make a competitive offer. Their only marquee trading piece is Stoudemire, and they can't afford to give him up for a guard -- not even the best guard in the league.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their only marquee trading piece is Stoudemire, and they can't afford to give him up for a guard -- not even the best guard in the league.

Wow. I actually agree with you elindholm. We have already seen walk Kobe does without a legit big man. No thank you. You have to pair up Kobe with Amare or there is no point.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screamin' A just said that he thinks Kobe will still be in LA, and that Buss will make it better even if it means fixing the heirarchy of the front office.

He seems to be leaning toward saying that Mitch is the source, which I find huge since Mitch is such a boring say nothing interview.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hey Donald

If the Lakers really become convinced that they have to trade Bryant, do you think they'd be happy with Boozer and Deron Williams? The Jazz did pretty well while Boozer was out, so he might be seen as expendable. Add Bryant and they start looking like a real threat.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screamin' A just said that he thinks Kobe will still be in LA, and that Buss will make it better even if it means fixing the heirarchy of the front office.

He seems to be leaning toward saying that Mitch is the source, which I find huge since Mitch is such a boring say nothing interview.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. This could be a lot of grandstanding on Kobe's part. This wouldn't be the first time an athlete has demanded a trade just to force some changes.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
By the way, my theory for the Lakers insider is Tex Winter. He's been grinding a bit of an axe recently about how his beloved Triangle is becoming less of a focus, and he's old enough that he might have let something slip out without realizing how quickly it would explode in his face.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
tex would be interesting - in phil jacksons book there was a decent amount of ink describing the disdain he had for kobe