KT Gone to Seattle

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I remember stretches that Thomas did a good job on Duncan, but far more that Duncan had little trouble.

MAYBE NASH CAN PULL A MAGIC JOHNSON AND BACK UP AMARE!!!!!!!!!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to add to the misery here. I remember stretches that Thomas did a good job on Duncan, but far more that Duncan had little trouble.
Of course, Duncan is going to get his no matter what. But you got to have bodies to throw at him and make him earn his points. Now we're just going to watch Duncan run circles around a foul-ridden Amare and a no talent stiff in Sean Marks.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
PJ Brown and Matt Barnes or Mickael Pietrus and the Suns would be in great shape.
At least 3 teams reportedly offered the MLE to Pietrus, so your scenario is at best implausible.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
More likely for

3M$, Grant Hill, PJ Brown, a 2nd rounder and 16M$ luxury tax savings and maybe even another FA.

The Suns haven't signed PJ Bown or another FA. Keep dreaming.

So 3M, Grant Hill, a second rounder and 16M in luxury tax savings.

Great! Where can i get my Suns jersey with "Luxury Tax Savings" on the back.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I for one and seriously concerned. There is little chance of a title without more big man help. I am sorry but unless all of the sudden Amare becomes an absolute stopper without getting into foul trouble how are we better in the front court?

The Suns and D'Antoni said so themselves that Kurt Thomas last year was essential to getting past the like of San Antonio? So besides financial difficulties this make ZERO basketball sense.

If I hear one Suns official spin this and completely disregard what they said about this teams front court deficiencies ......I am going to
:barf:

If this move is the last move we make in regards to the front court....I am calling it now. No title.

Also, how long do you guys really think that trading away young first round talent isn't going to hurt this franchise? When Nash is gone and they dismantle this team, where is the up and young talent going to come from on this team? How many draft picks does that make it under Sarver's watch? Is this the type of things to expect from Kerr? If so, Sarver should have just kept D'Antoni and SAVED even more money by not hiring Kerr.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Who is left that is worth the MLE? If we bring in PJ Brown for the MLE I'm going to shoot somebody.

Varejao is a restricted FA.

Marc Jackson is another jump-shooting center--not too expensive, I'd think. Houston has Mutombo and Beeg Jake as UFAs, Bulls have P.J. Brown and Malik Allen (another quality catch-and-shoot player), Pistons have Dale Davis and Chris Webber. Spurs just dumped Melvin Ely.

The swings are more interesting, seemingly--Barnes, Pietrus, Eddie Jones, James Posey. Andray Blatche from Washington is looking at a significant payday.

And, of course, the Suns' trade exception opens up the field a bit more. Etan Thomas, Antonio McDyess...plenty of big men's salaries fit inside that exception, if the Suns are willing to use it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns haven't signed PJ Bown or another FA. Keep dreaming.

So 3M, Grant Hill, a second rounder and 16M in luxury tax savings.

Great! Where can i get my Suns jersey with "Luxury Tax Savings" on the back.

I hate this move, but the offseason isn't even close to being over yet, so settle down.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I also enjoy how some people are spinning how we'll use the trade exception. Nice try, you were probably the same people who said we'd use the trade exception from the Joe Johnson deal that Sarver let expire.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr is following ORDERS...

James Jones, Kurt Thomas and three first round picks for.....NOTHING!

How about for keeping the core of Amare/Nash/Marion together? That's not nothing, that's a championship caliber trio. It amazes me how some people can't see the big picture in some of these deals.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You can eliminate all those that aren't big men, which is most of them.

PJ Brown would replace Thomas completely.

So that would settle our need for a big man since Thomas was only playing against the Spurs anyway and Brown matchs up better with Duncan too.

Also with the trade exception and our Atlanta pick if we wanted to we could probably get some pretty good MLE type players from another team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How about for keeping the core of Amare/Nash/Marion together? That's not nothing, that's a championship caliber trio. It amazes me how some people can't see the big picture in some of these deals.

The big picture? Yes, we will contend. But will we get over the hump without the interior defense KT provided? Absolutely not.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that there had BETTER be a follow up move to this transaction - and I mean for a 6'10"+ guy, not another undersized combo tweener....

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
PJ Brown would replace Thomas completely.

So that would settle our need for a big man since Thomas was only playing against the Spurs anyway and Brown matchs up better with Duncan too.

Also with the trade exception and our Atlanta pick if we wanted to we could probably get some pretty good MLE type players from another team.

Uh...what makes you believe PJ Brown is as good as a Phoenix Sun?

My guess is the Suns won't offer him anything but the league minimum. Im sure he'll get better offers than that!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also enjoy how some people are spinning how we'll use the trade exception. Nice try, you were probably the same people who said we'd use the trade exception from the Joe Johnson deal that Sarver let expire.

Exactly. Short of trading Shaun Marion to a team $16.4 million under the cap, the one thing we definitely know the Suns WILL NOT DO is acquire more salary.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What is Etan Thomas's salary?

Could we get Etan and PJ (s&t) to fit under the $8M TE we have?

Why would we?

The $8m TE is great, but it doesn't do anything for our cap number. Any player we acquire with that TE will still make us pay twice as much in luxury tax.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Why would we?

The $8m TE is great, but it doesn't do anything for our cap number. Any player we acquire with that TE will still make us pay twice as much in luxury tax.

Because if Sarver doesn't bite the bullet on the LT and beef up the frontline in a BIG way, next season will assuredly be nothing but tantric mental masturbation....

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Just wait until we dump marion for nothing next season

Reaction score
You mean same conference. We are not in the same division.

Yeah my bad. I was typing too fast for my own good.

I know it is wishful thinking, but maybe they are trying to unload money to try and get KG and pay the tax that way. At this point I am just grasping for straws to cover up how stupid some of these moves look.