Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0720kurttraded-CR.html

Suns trade Thomas

Team also re-signs Marks

The Arizona Republic
Jul. 20, 2007 09:01 AM
The Suns traded center Kurt Thomas this morning in a move that relieves some salary-cap pressure.

Thomas goes to the Seattle SuperSonics, along with the Suns' own 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks in exchange for a future conditional 2nd round pick and a trade exception, worth about $8 million.

The league's new luxury tax threshold -- the number at which teams would begin to be taxed -- came in higher than the Suns expected, at $67.9 million, and would have left Phoenix more than $10 million over that number.

The Suns also re-signed Sean Marks. If draft picks Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry make the team, that would leave Phoenix with one roster position open. They will be looking to fill it with a free-agent front-line player.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
By giving away our first round picks for 08 and 10... im starting to believe the suns don't feel the need to utilize the draft.... I know they have the atlanta pick... but still... apart from Amare and Tucker this year... how often have they traded away their first round pick?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all knew it was coming.

Honestly, I am more excited about hearing the "all games in HD" news, than the "WTF, we traded Thomas news."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow - boy i hope a follow up move is coming.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, this trade is annoying. At least I dont have to spend 08 and 10 listening to everyone complain about the selling of draft picks. We can get it all out of the way right now! Always a silver lining!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seriously? What fallout? It will anger folks who think low first round picks are important, thats for sure, and Im bummed at the now constant unloading of picks for cap relief, but staggering? I'm curious as to how.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two first round picks for 8 million expiring next summer. So, we sold those picks for

1 year of KT's services.
8 million a piece.

I wonder how soon it will be before that comes back to bite us. KT was by far our best interior defender.

Well, here's hoping we'll be trying to add a big with a smaller portion of that exception, or the a part of the mle. I think we are close to being under the LT now.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, KT is still a bit winded from playing so much against the Spurs. :)

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
:barf:

Here goes our title hopes. They better find a way to bring a somewhat decent big or we're doomed. And by decent big I don't mean Grant Hill playing PF.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the fallout from this will be staggering.

Seriously? What fallout? It will anger folks who think low first round picks are important, thats for sure, and Im bummed at the now constant unloading of picks for cap relief, but staggering? I'm curious as to how.

Agreed. The fallout on this will be less than the draft IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That whole "guarding Tim Duncan" thing.

That whole "Keeping Amare out of foul trouble" thing.

That whole "We brought in Kurt Thomas to keep Amare Happy" thing.

That whole "Continuing to improve our roster" thing.

The only way this move is anything other than a massive step backwards in our goals to win a championship is if there is a NBA big man willing to come for the vet minimum.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me a break.

Stupid, stupid move. They better do something else. What the hell are we going to do with an $8mil trade exception?

Save 16 million dollars.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did Seattle get an $8 million trade exception?

I think we are close to being under the LT now.

The Suns are still one Eric Piatkowski over the LT. Right now they'd end up paying about $1 million in LT.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
i love when something big happens because this message board sure gets active real fast