Kurt Warner is in talks with the SF 49ers (confirmed by his agent)

OP
OP
gohard83

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
Even though i disguised as a Card fan, i've always stayed informative. I've never talked **** just to talk ****. I even gave you guys my honest opinions on some topics. It was all fun and game. You guys are cool people and i'll be around here for a while.

I don't want Warner for 15/a year though, GOD NO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, Warner wasn't exactly a ball of fire his first few years here until he finally got surrounded with a strong supporting cast.

Going to SF would be a huge step backwards for him.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
what a mess this is!
More like a nightmare! :(

Uh, Warner wasn't exactly a ball of fire his first few years here until he finally got surrounded with a strong supporting cast.

Going to SF would be a huge step backwards for him.
He's done alright. He's struggled at times and had to compete for his starting job. Overall he's won the competition tho.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more it stinks of desperation from Kurt. No matter what the competition, it is going to come down to is that 3-5 million per year worth playing your final two years at a non-contender with horrible talent that may be the black mark on a marginal hall of fame career or come back here for less (but in no way peanuts) to see if the next 2 years can produce his second ring, but at the very least give him numbers in the top 20 of almost EVERY QB stat. This bodes well for AZ to me in the game of contract chicken.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iawarnerfan, my apologies. It was more of an attempt to poke fun at your lust for McQuarters than anything else. Came off poorly.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks and he won't go, but I would still cheer for the Cardinals even in the remote chance that he decided to! I cheer on all AZ teams and not just the Cardinals.

Good to hear. Stay here and keep posting. I like reading your opinions on all things Cards.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
what a mess this is!
That being????

If Kurt is sincere and I am sure he is...he will be a Cardinal next year. It is the nature of f/a that good teams lose good players...that's the way it goes...this years group overall is very much in the middle of the bell curve

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
Kurt Warner-QB- Cardinals Feb. 28 - 7:03 pm et

Kurt Warner is scheduled to visit the 49ers, possibly on Monday.

This is getting more interesting, although we'd still expect Warner to return to the Cardinals. Apparently some within the 49ers organization share our skepticism, but others believe they have a legitimate shot to sign the veteran.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Related: 49ers

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kurt Warner-QB- Cardinals Feb. 28 - 7:03 pm et

Kurt Warner is scheduled to visit the 49ers, possibly on Monday.

This is getting more interesting, although we'd still expect Warner to return to the Cardinals. Apparently some within the 49ers organization share our skepticism, but others believe they have a legitimate shot to sign the veteran.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Related: 49ers

Does anybody think that a meeting with SF would be viewed by their management as anything more than an attempt by Kurt and his agent to put pressure on the Cards?

(As such, as a pressure tactic... it strikes me as a bit weak)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let him visit and hell let him sign. We have to move on eventually and I am cool with it being right now. If SF signs him for 15+ let them have him.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let him visit and hell let him sign. We have to move on eventually and I am cool with it being right now. If SF signs him for 15+ let them have him.

they can have him for 15 mill, then we could watch AW, bury him like Trent Edwards.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It's a total embarrassment that it's gotten to this point. Some things never change.

Now we know why Q was so irate.

This organization deserves all the bad press it gets...it remains a third world and incorrigibly ignorant front office.

Kurt Warner is the best thing that has happened to this organization in decades. Without him we would have lost the NFC West to the 49ers this year and would have never known the thrill of a Super Bowl.

There is a time to recognize greatness and you don't do it by paying the player less than what he deserves. Warner was the #3 QB in the NFL this past year and one could argue that really he was the #1. If he doesn't deserve a top 5 contract, who does?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
he would be better off retiring than going to the niners. because playing for the niners would lead to a forced retirement on IR after he gets creamed by A-Dub.

Mitch

Reaction score
Does anybody think that a meeting with SF would be viewed by their management as anything more than an attempt by Kurt and his agent to put pressure on the Cards?

I think you are underestimating the man's pride. He played for far less than what he deserved this past year. The numbers don't lie. He was a top 5 QB, Pro Bowl QB, NFC Championship QB, Super Bowl QB...and he should STILL play for less than what he deserves?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Absolutely, the team he chose to be "in talks" with is the biggest hint, being a division rival. This is actually a pretty pathetic move like dating your ex-girlfriends sister or something

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the man's pride. He played for far less than what he deserved this past year. The numbers don't lie. He was a top 5 QB, Pro Bowl QB, NFC Championship QB, Super Bowl QB...and he should STILL play for less than what he deserves?
There's a flip side to that too Mitch. He played well in 2007, though not deserving of top 5 money. He played horribly in 2005, and 2006. Hell he got booed off the field and benched by week 5 to a rookie QB. KW played awesome last year, but for someone who says that he loves it here, wants to finish his career here, he certainly is talking out both sides of his mouth. Honestly I trust Q at this point more than Warner. At least you know what Q is thinking when he talks. I think for his overall performance as an Arizona Cardinal $10/ year is more than fair for KW, for him to be arguing over such a small amount of money right now is stupid. I would not be at all sad to see him leave at this point.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Man this is about as transparent of a negotiating ploy as you can get. His agent leaks out that "perhaps" he will visit on Monday. He doesnt even say that he actually will, just "perhaps".

1. OUtdoor stadium in the cold and windy sea air.
2. No one to throw to.
3. No one to block for him.
4. One of the oddest OC hires this season. This guy has been around for 29 years yet has had 18 different jobs, has tried to be an OC 6 times with 6 different teams and was fired from or not retianed from all of them.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yes, I do know that pride comes before the fall.

This is a man who quite recently said it was either the Cards or retirement.

Now, it all about top 5 money and shopping his services.

I thought prayer was to help clarify thought not further confuse.

A front loaded contract in the 20 to 24 range, I think is quite reasonable. If some team, and I highly doubt it, is willing to go above... then I wish Kurt both health and luck except against the Cards.

Quietly, however - I will wonder about his somewhat contradictory and changing views on the issues that would have led to this decision.

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
as much as I would love to have KW to remain a Cardinal, KW's or his AGENTS tactics are starting to get stale. If the Cardinals are sitting still, waiting for KW, then I say astalivista KW and start moving forward and not look back.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the man's pride. He played for far less than what he deserved this past year.

Direct quote from his agent when asked by Jurecki if his past pay has anything to do with what they are trying to get now. His agent laughed at it and said we are the ones that signed the deal in the first place, how can we be mad or use that as part of the negotiations. Cards didnt put a gun to their heads.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Direct quote from his agent when asked by Jurecki if his past pay has anything to do with what they are trying to get now. His agent laughed at it and said we are the ones that signed the deal in the first place, how can we be mad or use that as part of the negotiations. Cards didnt put a gun to their heads.

Exactly... Kurt knows as well as we do that he was all but toast after his debacle with the Giants... He signed the deal because he knew VERY it was the absolute best deal he could have hoped for. And, he is indeed grateful for what the Cards have done for him and his career...

He will not be in SF under any circumstances... Now, if some other Dome or Warm Weather team were to take as shot at him, ya never know... However, Kurt has made it totally clear time and time again, he wants to finish his career with the Cards. His family is now fully entrenched here in AZ and they are not going anywhere.

Mitch

Reaction score

Last night on ESPN, Warner said that he felt he was underpaid the past couple of seasons and that this time around he would like to be paid what he's worth.