Kurt Warner is in talks with the SF 49ers (confirmed by his agent)

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last night on ESPN, Warner said that he felt he was underpaid the past couple of seasons and that this time around he would like to be paid what he's worth.
Funny, I thought he was overpaid the first two seasons he played here and sucked ass. He was given a more than fair contract offer. See you later Kurt.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Last night on ESPN, Warner said that he felt he was underpaid the past couple of seasons and that this time around he would like to be paid what he's worth.

could be wrong but didnt he set a load of bonus payments in the last contract...most of which he got?

although this time last year his agent was ask for one he just fell short on :shrug:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

So. He wants to get paid what he deserves NOW. Not get paid extra for the past years. The only thing he is talking about is that he wants to make sure this time that he does get paid what he deserves. Thats all he is talking about when bringing up the last contract. Is that what you ment when you brought this up? Becuase thats where I am going with it.

What this does bring up though is that his agent and Warner keep saying different things and using different tactics. His agent is actully upset that Kurt keeps talking about retirement and only playng for AZ, said he would wish Kurt would stopp talking about it. Are they on the same page themselves?

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Mitch, perhaps in retrospect, now knowing what he's accomplished, yea - he can look back and say that he was underpaid. However, at the time, Kurt was virtually washed up and out of the league. I saw an interview with him a few weeks ago and he admitted this. Said what has happened to him (and his family) since joining the Cards has been a "virtual miracle".

Again, Kurt will not be poaying for the 9ers under any conditions... none...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Funny, I thought he was overpaid the first two seasons he played here and sucked ass. He was given a more than fair contract offer. See you later Kurt.

To be fair CT, Warner was playing for an incompetent HC and offensive coordinators that were truly offensive.

Once Whiz came...Warner's game came along with him...

And the thing is...Whiz was smart enough to give Warner a say in the offense and tap into Warner's knowledge and strengths.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kurt Warner is the best thing that has happened to this organization in decades

The new stadium is the best thing that has happened to this organization in decades. Ken Whisenhunt is the next best thing. Warner has only been a beneficiary of those two happenings.

If Warner could carry a team the Cards would have overcome Denny Green's inept coaching staff and won in 2005 and 2006 instead of fumbling away the 2006 season against the Rams on Sept. 24th of that year.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, perhaps in retrospect, now knowing what he's accomplished, yea - he can look back and say that he was underpaid. However, at the time, Kurt was virtually washed up and out of the league. I saw an interview with him a few weeks ago and he admitted this. Said what has happened to him (and his family) since joining the Cards has been a "virtual miracle".

Again, Kurt will not be poaying for the 9ers under any conditions... none...

But, 82, he's proven he's not washed up. What else does he have to do to prove that?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think the Niners are better than most on this board are giving them credit for. With Kurt...much better!!!

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Joeshmo ended this debate on Kurt Warner playing for "less" than he was worth during his time in az. HE signed the deal, because HE was leftovers after his time with the Giants. WE resurrected his career and made this whole "RESIGN KURT WARNER" debate an actual serious matter. If he can't stay with a team that he feels is underselling him by 2 stinking million dollars when he would be worth whatever you make for used car commercials in Iowa without us, then forget him. Have fun making 2 million extra dollars with the niners, but i dont think you make the full money for that contract when you get hurt after week 2.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
But, 82, he's proven he's not washed up. What else does he have to do to prove that?

I think he is talking about the last contract.

Kurt himself said he was, thus the miracle part. What 82 is saying is that his last contract couldnt have underpaid him because as Kurt called it it was a miracle that he got a shot at all. He didnt prove he wasnt washed up before his last contract so him getting 7.5 mill in 07 and 8 mill in 08 was actually a very fair contract at the time it was signed. So I am not sure why the issue with the last contract would even be an issue at all.

Its going fowards now where he ahas proved he isny washed up. Last contract compared to this one is like comparing apples and oragnes and I dont care if Kurt or his agent is thinking about its comparing two different things.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the last contract.

Kurt himself said he was, thus the miracle part. What 82 is saying is that his last contract couldnt have underpaid him because as Kurt called it it was a miracle that he got a shot at all. He didnt prove he wasnt wahsed up before his last contract so him getting 7.5 mill in 07 and 8 mill in 08 was actually a very fair contract at the time it was signed.

Right on Joe...

;)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think the Niners are better than most on this board are giving them credit for. With Kurt...much better!!!

It may seem that way on paper. But really, it isn't a good fit.

Kurt works best out of the shotgun in a spread offense. That is not going to happen in SF because they want a 'ball control offense' that relies on running the ball with Gore.

Can you really see Kurt handing it off 20+ times a game after last year where he struggled getting out from centre? Does SF even have a single reciever that would start for us? What about SF's line that has struggled pass blocking all year?

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
I really dont understand this move for both sides ...

I dont understand the 49ers anymore... :bang:

Why would he want to come here? Why would we even want him to come here? We have a big ? at QB but Warner is not the answer. Especially with the hiring of Jimmy Raye and Singletary's "philosophy".

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really dont understand this move for both sides ...

I dont understand the 49ers anymore... :bang:

Why would he want to come here? Why would we even want him to come here? We have a big ? at QB but Warner is not the answer. Especially with the hiring of Jimmy Raye and Singletary's "philosophy".

take him then change your screen name to "Old Tone"

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It may seem that way on paper. But really, it isn't a good fit.

Kurt works best out of the shotgun in a spread offense. That is not going to happen in SF because they want a 'ball control offense' that relies on running the ball with Gore.

Can you really see Kurt handing it off 20+ times a game after last year where he struggled getting out from centre? Does SF even have a single reciever that would start for us? What about SF's line that has struggled pass blocking all year?

Pretty much , right on. They sign Warner, for what? To negate Gore?

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
take him then change your screen name to "Old Tone"

I dont even want him. He's stupid to leave Arizona with a system he's been in and the receivers he has. Why come to here? Makes no sense for both sides ...

So he's supposed to visit the 49ers on Monday...

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
I dont even want him. He's stupid to leave Arizona with a system he's been in and the receivers he has. Why come to here? Makes no sense for both sides ...

So he's supposed to visit the 49ers on Monday...
Two words: Isaac Bruce :mulli:

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Kurt Warner is the best thing that has happened to this organization in decades. Without him we would have lost the NFC West to the 49ers this year and would have never known the thrill of a Super Bowl.

You know Mitch I can't argue with that statement at all. I wouldn't have a problem with giving him what he wants if he was going to be the best thing for the next decade too, but he's not. He isn't going to be winning the west five or ten years from now or even two years from now. That's what limits his worth to this team or any other team.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You know Mitch I can't argue with that statement at all. I wouldn't have a problem with giving him what he wants if he was going to be the best thing for the next decade too, but he's not. He isn't going to be winning the west five or ten years from now or even two years from now. That's what limits his worth to this team or any other team.

players are only worth what teams are willing to pay.