Kyler Murray Appreciation Thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I definitely respect and appreciate your post. I think the point I was trying to make was that for some Cardinal fans, Kyler Murray should have never been given the opportunity to be a Cardinal. Alot on the board had a very negative opinion of Murray because the impression was that Josh Rosen should have been given at least one more year. Because first impressions are very important, for some ( Not All ) that do post on this forum, that bad feeling of Kyler Murray being drafted has been a bitter pill to swallow and since they have hated the kid since day one, it's easier to blame the kid for Everything No matter what, than it is for them to give the kid a fair shot and be willing to admitt that maybe, just maybe they were wrong and the kid is not a horrible quarterback and is actually pretty decent.
Let's be honest about that draft. The individuals who didn't want to draft Kyler wanted to draft Nick Bosa to build up the roster. The argument was that the roster needed to be better around the #10 pick in the previous draft to succeed, and that Nick Bosa had the potential to be a special player.

In terms of needing to acknowledge Kyler Murray like he is the Tribal Chief, most of the critics on this board still view him as a middle 3rd of the league NFL QB. I have said I think he falls somewhere around the 13th to 18th best NFL QB in the league. I don't know how this is different from your desire to have most on this board view him as "pretty decent".

Maybe we aren't as far off as we think we are.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest about that draft. The individuals who didn't want to draft Kyler wanted to draft Nick Bosa to build up the roster. The argument was that the roster needed to be better around the #10 pick in the previous draft to succeed, and that Nick Bosa had the potential to be a special player.
If by Bosa you meant Quinnen Williams. :D

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score

In terms of needing to acknowledge Kyler Murray like he is the Tribal Chief, most of the critics on this board still view him as a middle 3rd of the league NFL QB. I have said I think he falls somewhere around the 13th to 18th best NFL QB in the league. I don't know how this is different from your desire to have most on this board view him as "pretty decent".

Maybe we aren't as far off as we think we are.
He’s the best QB in the NFC West right now and you think he is 13-18th in the league. That is simply irrational. Not a single person associated with the league would say that.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
He’s the best QB in the NFC West right now and you think he is 13-18th in the league. That is simply irrational. Not a single person associated with the league would say that.
I previously posted that NFL.com preseason ranking had him #18. That doesn't change after 5 games. You may disagree, but very few NFL writers have Murray ranked above Stafford and Purdy, and Smith is playing very well.

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
I previously posted that NFL.com preseason ranking had him #18. That doesn't change after 5 games. You may disagree, but very few NFL writers have Murray ranked above Stafford and Purdy, and Smith is playing very well.
“Right Now”

And you post a preseason ranking.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What Kyler is doing on the ground less than a year after coming back from major knee surgery is truly impressive.
I mean not for nothing but it’s been well over a year now…. Usually into the second year is when athletes start showing there old self again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"Right now" doing a lot of work there. Every other QB lost at the weekend.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The bar that was set was "pretty decent" in the post I was responding to. I highlighted that my view of Kyler right now fits a description of "pretty decent". Nothing irrational about that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is where Kyler ranks statistically so far this season.

Wins - tied for 20th
Comp% - 13th
Yards per game - 22nd
TD% - 10th
INT% - 10th
1st Down Passes - tied for 18th
Yards per attempt - tied for 22nd
Yards per completion - tied for 20th

Rush yards per game - 3rd for QBs
1st down rushes - tied for 8th amongst QBs
TDs - tied for 8th amongst QBs

I don't believe having him ranked in the 13 to 18 range is "irrational" based upon these numbers. Maybe you inflate his rushing stats but he is rushing for less than 5 attempts per game so it's impact is less even though is does add value.

EDIT: I don't even have an issue with saying Kyler is easily one of the top 16 QBs in the NFL. Hell, I can say he is somewhere in the 12-16 range. These are minute distinctions. And being a top 16 QB is far from bad.

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I definitely respect and appreciate your post. I think the point I was trying to make was that for some Cardinal fans, Kyler Murray should have never been given the opportunity to be a Cardinal. Alot on the board had a very negative opinion of Murray because the impression was that Josh Rosen should have been given at least one more year. Because first impressions are very important, for some ( Not All ) that do post on this forum, that bad feeling of Kyler Murray being drafted has been a bitter pill to swallow and since they have hated the kid since day one, it's easier to blame the kid for Everything No matter what, than it is for them to give the kid a fair shot and be willing to admitt that maybe, just maybe they were wrong and the kid is not a horrible quarterback and is actually pretty decent.
I can only speak for myself here. I didn't want him to be the pick but once he was I supported him 100%.

No different then voting for president. If the person I voted for doesn't win I will support the choice made by others.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, being the best QB in arguably the worst division or second worst division in the league isn’t really something to pound your chest about.

Second, I don’t think there’s much consensus in the league that comes close to saying Kyle is definitively better than any of the other three starting QBs. All of those guys either get praise or blame depending on the week’s results.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your last sentence is the biggest issue I have with Kyler fans and is the kind of thing that consistently creates flame-wars on this board. No one is saying he’s horrible. But a lot of you take any bit of criticism that way.

The overwhelming majority of the board thinks he’s at the very worst, a top 16 QB, with major upside that makes the variance of his play so confounding, exciting and ultimately controversial.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your last sentence is the biggest issue I have with Kyler fans and is the kind of thing that consistently creates flame-wars on this board. No one is saying he’s horrible. But a lot of you take any bit of criticism that way.

The overwhelming majority of the board thinks he’s at the very worst, a top 16 QB, with major upside that makes the variance of his play so confounding, exciting and ultimately controversial.

It all comes down to consistency. That's the most frustrating thing about Kyler. We need to see him play more consistently at a high level.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Geno has almost 100 passing yards more per game than Kyler, almost 30 more 1st downs thrown for, and a better comp% but gotta focus in on the RATE stat which is a made up formula that states Derek Carr is better than Kyler and Pat Mahomes is the 19th best QB in the NFL behind Justin Fields.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake