Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems Lebron will follow the talent to Cleveland where he can use the opportunity to rehabilitate his legacy by winning championships in both Miami and Cleveland. I guess he feels Miami does not have enough talent to keep him on top. And I apparently was mistaken that Wade and Bosh were enough for him when free agency started.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I think you have hit the nail on the head if Lebron goes to Cleveland, joking aside.

I was just channeling my inner Pat Riley. I actually think it takes more guts to return to Cleveland.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I think you have hit the nail on the head if Lebron goes to Cleveland, joking aside.

call into question his guts all you want, but I'd call into question his BRAIN if he stayed on a team that was pretty much all but finished contending for titles. And honestly, I think it probably takes more guts to admit you were wrong and go back to lift up what's been an AWFUL team since he left (3 #1 picks) then it does stay in a FA destination hot spot with a legendary team builder.

neither of those teams has all that much talent on them at this point, especially if you're trying to win NOW, which Bron is as he enters the middle of his prime. What does he have in Cleveland? A good PG...and a rookie who will probably take at least a year or two to become a good player...if he ever does?

Looks like to me that any move Bron makes you'd slam at this point. What do you think he should do right now that would show the right amount of guts/brain?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
call into question his guts all you want, but I'd call into question his BRAIN if he stayed on a team that was pretty much all but finished contending for titles. And honestly, I think it probably takes more guts to admit you were wrong and go back to lift up what's been an AWFUL team since he left (3 #1 picks) then it does stay in a FA destination hot spot with a legendary team builder.

neither of those teams has all that much talent on them at this point, especially if you're trying to win NOW, which Bron is as he enters the middle of his prime. What does he have in Cleveland? A good PG...and a rookie who will probably take at least a year or two to become a good player...if he ever does?

Looks like to me that any move Bron makes you'd slam at this point. What do you think he should do right now that would show the right amount of guts/brain?

Stay with the Heat and help build it back up, not return to Cleveland where he can build his legacy on the backs of young talent.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, he did the Cleveland thing and it didn't work out. He did the move his talents thing and made it to 4 finals and won 2, but they are not going to get better and I think he's done winning with that team and their foreseeable future. I think the Suns are a smart choice based on what they have and have the ability to do into the future. I also think it would take guts to join this team and attempt to lead them to their first championship. Each of these 3 stops will have been vastly different than the last. Each one offers its own challenges. So going back to Miami is dumb IMO and going back to Cleveland is equally dumb. It would be gutsy though to take on that situation. So I think the Suns are the only one to offer him an intelligent choice and a challenge.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Could you imagine if Pops had the thunder line up, or Houston, or the Clippers.?? Most talented team that is under coached not named Spoelstra or whatever his name is. He is the real deal.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay with the Heat and help build it back up, not return to Cleveland where he can build his legacy on the backs of young talent.

"on the backs of young talent"...have you watched a single Cavs game? that "young talent" hasn't even sniffed the playoffs in the awful Eastern conference for years. if anyone's going to be riding backs, it's going to be THEM riding HIS. Saying he's going to build his legacy by riding the young talent of a 27 win team is high comedy to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he did the Cleveland thing and it didn't work out. He did the move his talents thing and made it to 4 finals and won 2, but they are not going to get better and I think he's done winning with that team and their foreseeable future. I think the Suns are a smart choice based on what they have and have the ability to do into the future. I also think it would take guts to join this team and attempt to lead them to their first championship. Each of these 3 stops will have been vastly different than the last. Each one offers its own challenges. So going back to Miami is dumb IMO and going back to Cleveland is equally dumb. It would be gutsy though to take on that situation. So I think the Suns are the only one to offer him an intelligent choice and a challenge.

I see us being the smart choice, but Cleveland is definitely the gutsiest. They've got the least amount of talent, a terrible track record and it's one of the most woeful track records in sports history.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kyrie Irving and Wiggins are better players than anything LeBron had to play with before in Cleveland.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"on the backs of young talent"...have you watched a single Cavs game? that "young talent" hasn't even sniffed the playoffs in the awful Eastern conference for years. if anyone's going to be riding backs, it's going to be THEM riding HIS. Saying he's going to build his legacy by riding the young talent of a 27 win team is high comedy to me.

If Lebron did not think Cleveland had the young talent to support him he would not be going back there. He would be staying in Miami or looking elsewhere. The lack of supporting talent is one of the reasons Lebron left Cleveland. Look for Cleveland to be a playoff team this coming season if Lebron goes there and likely a contender in the East.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see us being the smart choice, but Cleveland is definitely the gutsiest. They've got the least amount of talent, a terrible track record and it's one of the most woeful track records in sports history.

They'll be able to put 5 players on the court at the same time that were drafted in the first round, by them, at 1, 1, 1, 1 and 4. That's just incredible. And to think they arguably will have less talent than a team that just 9 months ago was expected by many to be the worst in the league is even more amazing.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If it becomes "public knowledge" that James has narrowed it down to Miami and Cleveland, he has to go to Cleveland. Otherwise he'll never survive the ensuing (blank)-storm.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
interesting to see what bosh and wade do. will bosh chase 22 per year? will the heat give wade some big money out of loyalty?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with that as far as guts on joining that train wreck. I'm personally not a Irving fan, I feel he is way overrated and his shooting has gotten worse each year. Thompson they have to extend next summer. Where are they going to find the money as these youngsters finish up their rookie contracts? Anyway, I don't see him winning like many in the media and at home seem to think with what they have in Cleveland. I guess it's assumed they will now attract top talent looking to play with Lebron, I suppose it could be true, but they weren't able to get them to come his first stint with the Cavs and it's not like they didn't try.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Lebron did not think Cleveland had the young talent to support him he would not be going back there. He would be staying in Miami or looking elsewhere. The lack of supporting talent is one of the reasons Lebron left Cleveland. Look for Cleveland to be a playoff team this coming season if Lebron goes there and likely a contender in the East.

I gotta disagree. Unless they are able to add more, that team with James added is not going to win the East, let alone contend for a Championship. They just don't have the experience for a long playoff run. I'll give you they will get to the playoffs as a 4-8 seed though. Irving gets hurt a lot. He's missed what? 20+ games a season in his 3 years? No, James will be carrying that team on his back in a big way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta disagree. Unless they are able to add more, that team with James added is not going to win the East, let alone contend for a Championship. They just don't have the experience for a long playoff run. I'll give you they will get to the playoffs as a 4-8 seed though. Irving gets hurt a lot. He's missed what? 20+ games a season in his 3 years? No, James will be carrying that team on his back in a big way.

Totally agree. They have a lot of high draft picks...pretty much NONE of whom has made an impact, including Irving who I agree is injury probe and overrated.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chickenhead

Reaction score
My speculation about Cleveland is that if Lebron goes there, he will have more control than anywhere else, with a possible ownership stake down the road. Gilbert is eating crow to get him back. There are probably promises about paying the luxury tax being made. There's no Riley in his way. Free agents will want to join him there.

I'm not saying it will work, and there's a good chance that too much power may end up being a detriment if he's surrounded by yes men only. But it's an unprecedented opportunity for a player.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
My speculation about Cleveland is that if Lebron goes there, he will have more control than anywhere else, with a possible ownership stake down the road. Gilbert is eating crow to get him back. There are probably promises about paying the luxury tax being made. There's no Riley in his way. Free agents will want to join him there.

I'm not saying it will work, and there's a good chance that too much power may end up being a detriment if he's surrounded by yes men only. But it's an unprecedented opportunity for a player.

none of that is legal under the cba

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If James goes to Cleveland, they're probably among the favorites in the East, but that's a long way from being title contenders. If the Pacers blow up, there might not be a single team in the East next year that would be good enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If James goes to Cleveland, they're probably among the favorites in the East, but that's a long way from being title contenders. If the Pacers blow up, there might not be a single team in the East next year that would be good enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Depends on what the Bulls do. If Caramello goes there, Bulls will be good.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake