Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think you bothered to read many posts but many of us said just that. Having said that....are we not supposed to discuss what if scenarios?!?!

I skimmed through all pages. I didn't say you shouldn't discuss the "what if" scenarios. I just pointed out that none of those scenarios are even remotely based in reality.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't think you bothered to read many posts but many of us said just that. Having said that....are we not supposed to discuss what if scenarios?!?!

I think 99.9% agree this is a pipe dream. I'm having fun with this :D

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also we should realize that while it seems far fetched, as it stands now, somebody is SIGNING Lebron. We're not talking about a guy who is locked in and happy, we're talking about a guy who is a free agent come July 1st.

Also we could become contenders just because of Lebron. No, the angle I'm taking here in this post is us benefiting WITHOUT getting Lebron. Get Lebron or no, the whole Lebron situation could make us contenders or champions.

What have we said as Suns fans for a long time. Well, we now have picks and cap space, but who is available?

Well thanks to Lebron, not only Lebron, but there are going to be a number of teams who are going to move players and picks to get him. So even if we don't get Lebron, with all our picks and capspace, we can help another team get him, and take a star they're willing to sacrifice to get Lebron.

So this whole situation just definitely gave the Suns a huge opportunity. We had picks and space, and now we can get in on the action one way or the other. Lebron just squared or cubed Ryan McDonough's potential options.

Because of Lebron's actions. There will be more of a demand for picks. More of a demand to offload players to teams with cap space. More stars or near stars in the pool.

How much, I don't know, but Lebron just gave our GM's a ton more options to sift through.

So I'm optimistically looking forward to something, don't know what it is, but something.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wade is the deciding factor if LeBron stays with the Heat or not. he's really really on a decline, does he opt out and miss a chance to make so much more money than he would if he stays?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skimmed through all pages. I didn't say you shouldn't discuss the "what if" scenarios. I just pointed out that none of those scenarios are even remotely based in reality.

Well I don't think many people actually think they are either. People are just discussing scenarios because it's free to dream.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

OK. LeBron is a free agent. SOMEONE is going to sign him. All teams are on an equal playing field except Miami, which can offer him more than anyone else.

So what is it that would induce him to change teams?

1. Cap space. Check.
2. Teammates he wants to play with. Check.
3. A young healthy roster. Check.
4. The ability to get other players to surround him. Check.

It seems like a pipe dream, but when you look at it unemotionally, its a possibility. Yes, I believe that Miami and Cleveland are more likely landing places for him, but after the Suns have as good a chance as anyone else.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also we should realize that while it seems far fetched, as it stands now, somebody is SIGNING Lebron. We're not talking about a guy who is locked in and happy, we're talking about a guy who is a free agent come July 1st.

Also we could become contenders just because of Lebron. No, the angle I'm taking here in this post is us benefiting WITHOUT getting Lebron. Get Lebron or no, the whole Lebron situation could make us contenders or champions.

What have we said as Suns fans for a long time. Well, we now have picks and cap space, but who is available?

Well thanks to Lebron, not only Lebron, but there are going to be a number of teams who are going to move players and picks to get him. So even if we don't get Lebron, with all our picks and capspace, we can help another team get him, and take a star they're willing to sacrifice to get Lebron.

So this whole situation just definitely gave the Suns a huge opportunity. We had picks and space, and now we can get in on the action one way or the other. Lebron just squared or cubed Ryan McDonough's potential options.

Because of Lebron's actions. There will be more of a demand for picks. More of a demand to offload players to teams with cap space. More stars or near stars in the pool.

How much, I don't know, but Lebron just gave our GM's a ton more options to sift through.

So I'm optimistically looking forward to something, don't know what it is, but something.

Yes, this.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I think there's a 90% chance Lebron re-signs with Miami ... I just don't see him wanting to leave, even if he'll have a better chance to win a ring somewhere else

If he does though, I honestly think Phoenix is not just possible ... but the front-runner - Have people forgotten that Lebron is his own man and doesn't care what everyone else thinks? He has stated this repeatedly, yet so many people are clinging on the notion that he wants to go to a big market team, or a team w/ "superstar faces", like LAC, HOU, or CHI ...

Lerbon is not stupid - he realizes that for the next 4 - 8 years, a PHX team that won 48 games last year w/ young players / Draft Picks, etc. ( ... Can go on - great coach, GM, ZERO bad contracts, young stars) is a better option for him than a 54 win team in the Rockets, or a 57 win Clippers team -minus DeAndre Jordan (who would be gone), etc, etc. ...

The fact that Houston has "names" such as Dwight Howard and James Harden, while everyone on Phoenix is overlooked, doesn't mean anything to him ... If anything, he would probably prefer the "under-the-radar" team like PHX if he cares a little bit about his "legacy / What people think" - The backlash if he went to a star-studded team or hated team would be huge ... I don't think any fan out there hates the Suns and Lebron might even be credited for "starting something new" w/ a young team

PHX is one of the few teams, maybe the only 1, that literally can just plug him right into the rotation w/o losing anybody ... That's important - The other suitors have to "blow up" their team a bit or lose their depth in the process; I don't think Lebron wants to go through another 1-2 year process of a whole team learning how to play with each other like he did w/ Miami ...

Again though, I think he's staying in Miami ... But if not, I think Phoenix is the front-runner ... It's meaningless that they're not the "front-runner" in the media (What some writer gathered from his "sources" is meaningless - Lebron is vacationing at the beach ... So what are these sources exactly?) Was Miami the front-runner for Lebron in 2010 - Did the "sources" indicate that?

All that matters is what Lebron thinks and since he's smart, I think if he leaves, he'll want to go to the Suns ...

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. LeBron is a free agent. SOMEONE is going to sign him. All teams are on an equal playing field except Miami, which can offer him more than anyone else.

So what is it that would induce him to change teams?

1. Cap space. Check.
2. Teammates he wants to play with. Check.
3. A young healthy roster. Check.
4. The ability to get other players to surround him. Check.

It seems like a pipe dream, but when you look at it unemotionally, its a possibility. Yes, I believe that Miami and Cleveland are more likely landing places for him, but after the Suns have as good a chance as anyone else.

Listening to all the "experts", I'm clearly in the minority on this but I think Cleveland is the only rumored destination that has less of a chance than we do. I know he's from Akron but I just can't fathom Lebron returning there after Gilbert's comments. Or after the parade of hate that came his way from the local fans. I'd rank/guess the possibles in this order:

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. LAC
4. New York
5. Atlanta
6. Houston
7. Dallas
8. Detroit (less than a three hour drive to his Ohio home)
9. Washington
10. Phoenix
11. Retirement
12. Cleveland

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I have with most of the scenarios, is that Lebron is going to pick a team where he wants to go, probably a major market where he can earn the accolades and the endorsements. It's more about what Lebron wants. A place where he can set the table. It likely comes down to only a few teams. This is not Charles Barkley wanting out of Philadelphia.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Agree with the general sentiment, this is a longshot at best. However, one more thing Phoenix has going for it is the vaunted medical staff. He might see this as a big positive for the longevity of his career considering all the mileage he's put on his body already.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
The problem I have with most of the scenarios, is that Lebron is going to pick a team where he wants to go, probably a major market where he can earn the accolades and the endorsements. It's more about what Lebron wants. A place where he can set the table. It likely comes down to only a few teams. This is not Charles Barkley wanting out of Philadelphia.

I don't get why so many people think this. He'll get a ton of endorsements / accolades wherever he goes. If you mean his popularity / legacy, etc., than I would argue the exact opposite ... he will be hated so much if he goes to a big-market team or a "known teams" w/ stars as hypothesized - I don't think he would get criticized that much if he goes to a young team like Phoenix

I also don't get your comment that he wants to go to a place where he can "set the table" - I'm assuming that means go to a place where he can start something new or something? If so, that's PHX for him also ... He would be the undisputed #1 guy and would be going to a team that the media doesn't talk about at all.

It seems many people out there are discounting Lebron to Phoenix (Why does every article assume they are a dark-horse? I saw 1 article say PHX is not a possibility because Lebron "has given no indication he would consider PHX" - Um, he hasn't given an indication of anything ....) because a writer did, or ESPN did, or "someone who doesn't know what Lebron's thinking" wrote about ... Looking at it objectively as I did in my last post, I think Phoenix makes the most sense ... I think if more people eliminated the "media influence / bias" of saying there's "no chance" Lebron goes to Phoenix, they would reach the same conclusion

The bottom line is that PHX won 48 games last year, is young, has a ton of picks, has a star (Dragic ... Maybe Bledsoe), great coach, great GM, a ton of cap room ... No other team has all of those things that can afford Lebron

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get why so many people think this. He'll get a ton of endorsements / accolades wherever he goes. If you mean his popularity / legacy, etc., than I would argue the exact opposite ... he will be hated so much if he goes to a big-market team or a "known teams" w/ stars as hypothesized - I don't think he would get criticized that much if he goes to a young team like Phoenix

I also don't get your comment that he wants to go to a place where he can "set the table" - I'm assuming that means go to a place where he can start something new or something? If so, that's PHX for him also ... He would be the undisputed #1 guy and would be going to a team that the media doesn't talk about at all.

It seems many people out there are discounting Lebron to Phoenix (Why does every article assume they are a dark-horse? I saw 1 article say PHX is not a possibility because Lebron "has given no indication he would consider PHX" - Um, he hasn't given an indication of anything ....) because a writer did, or ESPN did, or "someone who doesn't know what Lebron's thinking" wrote about ... Looking at it objectively as I did in my last post, I think Phoenix makes the most sense ... I think if more people eliminated the "media influence / bias" of saying there's "no chance" Lebron goes to Phoenix, they would reach the same conclusion

The bottom line is that PHX won 48 games last year, is young, has a ton of picks, has a star (Dragic ... Maybe Bledsoe), great coach, great GM, a ton of cap room ... No other team has all of those things that can afford Lebron
You say all that but are you willing to bet Lebron will be in Phoenix next season...nope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The gist of what I was saying, Lebron wants his own kingdom and a place to set his court (those players he wants around him). He wants it his way, like when he went to the Heat. If Lebron wants to cement his legacy, I can see him going to a team like the Knicks, the Celtics or Chicago (where Jordon ruled) and deliver Championships. I don't think Lebron would view Phoenix as a place where he can achieve his likely goal, to be the best player to play the game.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
You say all that but are you willing to bet Lebron will be in Phoenix next season...nope.

Like I said, I think he's staying in Miami ... If not Miami, I think Phoenix is the front-runner. Don't confuse that in me saying he's probably going to PHX though (meaning since there's more than 2 teams going after him, there's still a less than 50% chance in my mind he goes to PHX)

I just think because PHX has the most to offer, they would be the team w/ the greatest odds ... Although you're right (I think this is where you were going) in that nobody, including myself, knows anything about Lebron's decision - It is fair to look at facts, such as the state of teams he is considering though ... When I say the media's opinion is meaningless, I'm referring to meaningless stories / sources about Lebron going here, XXX team clearing cap room, etc, etc. - ESPN is just talking about the high-profile team for viewers (An article about the Bulls will get more clicks than a Wizards article) - It doesn't mean they have an inherit edge on PHX at all . The media is no more credible than you or me in knowing what Lebron is thinking ... Even less credible probably because they have bias

Off-topic maybe, but I think a big reason PHX is discounted is because people are viewing the rosters he goes to ON PAPER, instead of in reality ... The problem w/ this is that PHX's roster a year ago looked like a 25 win team and to many people, ON PAPER at least, they are still biased into thinking it's a mediocre roster ...

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The media is no more credible than you or me in knowing what Lebron is thinking ... Even less credible probably because they have bias

In fact the media are going to be huge players in James's decision. He is more interested in celebrity than anything else, and he recognizes that his image is defined by a whole range of things besides whether his basketball team wins games. James is very media-savvy and will only get more so; I think he'll be paying very careful attention to what the media "thinks" about each of his possible next stops. If the consensus is that he can't consider Phoenix because it's an irrelevant no-man's land, then Phoenix is ruled out, period.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I said, I think he's staying in Miami ... If not Miami, I think Phoenix is the front-runner. Don't confuse that in me saying he's probably going to PHX though (meaning since there's more than 2 teams going after him, there's still a less than 50% chance in my mind he goes to PHX)

I just think because PHX has the most to offer, they would be the team w/ the greatest odds ... Although you're right (I think this is where you were going) in that nobody, including myself, knows anything about Lebron's decision - It is fair to look at facts, such as the state of teams he is considering though ... When I say the media's opinion is meaningless, I'm referring to meaningless stories / sources about Lebron going here, XXX team clearing cap room, etc, etc. - ESPN is just talking about the high-profile team for viewers (An article about the Bulls will get more clicks than a Wizards article) - It doesn't mean they have an inherit edge on PHX at all . The media is no more credible than you or me in knowing what Lebron is thinking ... Even less credible probably because they have bias

Off-topic maybe, but I think a big reason PHX is discounted is because people are viewing the rosters he goes to ON PAPER, instead of in reality ... The problem w/ this is that PHX's roster a year ago looked like a 25 win team and to many people, ON PAPER at least, they are still biased into thinking it's a mediocre roster ...
No, I'm saying there's about a 1% chance Lebron comes to Phoenix amigo. And I would bet on it, there isn't 2 or 3 superstars here, and he can't do it on his own, and he knows it. I would and will bet that Lebron doesn't come to Phx.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm just gonna say it: If signing Lebrone the douche bag James is the only way to win a championship, I'm fine with not winning a championship. That's like selling your soul to the Devil. No thanks, I'll pass.

Yeah, I know- very unpopular opinion so flame away.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm just gonna say it: If signing Lebrone the douche bag James is the only way to win a championship, I'm fine with not winning a championship. That's like selling your soul to the Devil. No thanks, I'll pass.

I felt that way about Shaquille O'Neal, but chances are, had the Suns won the title with him, I would have taken it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Yeah, I know- very unpopular opinion so flame away.

It's unpopular because it's stupid. What makes Lebron a douche bag? (please please please don't answer the decision) Lebron has been under the microscope since he was a high school kid, and somehow has exceed the impossible hype surrounding him. Not only that, in a 24/7 star obsessed world, the guy is squeaky clean.

He plays his ass off, is a great ambassador of the game, is in his prime, and would make the Suns more relevant than they ever have been. You're telling me you pass on a top 10 EVER NBA player because of your ridiculous unfounded notion that he's a DB? Sorry, that's just moronic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's unpopular because it's stupid. What makes Lebron a douche bag? (please please please don't answer the decision) Lebron has been under the microscope since he was a high school kid, and somehow has exceed the impossible hype surrounding him. Not only that, in a 24/7 star obsessed world, the guy is squeaky clean.

He plays his ass off, is a great ambassador of the game, is in his prime, and would make the Suns more relevant than they ever have been. You're telling me you pass on a top 10 EVER NBA player because of your ridiculous unfounded notion that he's a DB? Sorry, that's just moronic.

+1

I may not like James now, but if he was a Sun...

As Chris said, the reality is pretty far-fetched, but using the idea that he is a douchebag as your reason for not singing what could be one of the top 3 best players in NBA history is ridiculous.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
LOL at this thread top to bottom.

Lets be real here. Overwhelmingly he is likely to stay in Miami. If not the only other option I could see is Cleveland. Hes over the Gilbert comments based on those that know him well and James is a big family guy. Home is important to him. If its not this year, then at some point he goes back to Cleveland IMO.

He needs to mend that bridge at some point and you can tell it matters to him. The fact that they have some good assets at this current time - and potentially could get Love if LBJ committed to going there - I could see a remote scenario where he comes home the conquering hero and citing his end of season comments about where his family wants to be (his wife posted on Instagram this morning something about loving and missing Ohio for what its worth - kinda interesting timing but I digress) and finishing what he started and being the guy who won the championship for ring starved Cleveland.

The only other intriguing possibility is with Melo to the Lakers because thats seems like the type of ish the Lakers always pull off but the whole Kobe factor makes that a .001 % chance to me.

Hes not going to Chicago so that he is compared to MJ the rest of his career. He has no tie to Houston. Clippers cant pull it off cap wise without getting REAL creative. And Phoenix although on paper would seem to make sense, Phoenix just isnt the place to be for the biggest young black star in the world. Our owner is a known ass clown with a bad reputation. And Bledsoe and Dragic are great but dude will have options of playing with anyone/everyone from Melo, to Bosh and Wade, to Love, to Harden and Howard, to Chris Paul and Griffin if he really really wanted to. Why would he come here and fight through the impossible Western Conference in a city he doesnt know with still yet proven talent with a FO that lacks that brand, gravitas, and closing ability that Riley does (Lon Babby? LMAO)? He wont. Its that simple. This thread is already 3 pages too long.

And if in some parallel universe I am wrong and he does come here? Ill eat 10 years of crow and be happy doing it.

LOL at Lebron James douche bag comment. LOL indeed.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at this thread top to bottom.

Lets be real here. Overwhelmingly he is likely to stay in Miami. If not the only other option I could see is Cleveland. Hes over the Gilbert comments based on those that know him well and James is a big family guy. Home is important to him. If its not this year, then at some point he goes back to Cleveland IMO.

He needs to mend that bridge at some point and you can tell it matters to him. The fact that they have some good assets at this current time - and potentially could get Love if LBJ committed to going there - I could see a remote scenario where he comes home the conquering hero.

The only other intriguing possibility is with Melo to the Lakers because thats seems like the type of ish the Lakers always pull off but the whole Kobe factor makes that a .001 % chance to me.

Hes not going to Chicago so that he is compared to MJ the rest of his career. He has no tie to Houston. Clippers cant pull it off cap wise without getting REAL creative. And Phoenix although on paper would seem to make sense, Phoenix isnt the place to be for the biggest young black star in the world. Our owner is a known ass clown with a bad reputation. And Bledsoe and Dragic are great but dude will have options of playing with anyone/everyone from Melo, to Bosh and Wade, to Harden and Howard, to Chris Paul and Griffin if he really really wanted to. Why would he come here and fight through the impossible Western Conference in a city he doesnt know with a FO that lacks that brand and pedigree that Riley does? He wont. Its that simple. This thread is already 3 pages too long.

And if in some parallel universe I am wrong and he does come here? Ill eat 10 years of crow and be happy doing it.

LOL at Lebron James douche bag comment. LOL indeed.

I'm glad we could amuse you.

Steve

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm glad we could amuse you.

Steve

Not trying to be a dick. Its just funny that people will make this argument. Even the guys at AzCentral are just doing it for clicks at end of day. I think I cited why it wont happen pretty succinctly.

Its all good to speculate and pontificate about LBJ. It is a message board after all. But man reading some people being so adamant on why it makes sense, why we are the front runner, why when you remove emotion its the only logical decision - ****e lay off the peyote.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake