Leinart vs. Cutler

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've read some posts comparing Leinart's situation to Cutler's. To me , there is no comparison other than the fans of both teams want the back-up QB in there. Leinart has been said to be the most NFL ready QB to come along in years. He played at a high profile college, played in humongous games, played in hostile stadiums, won the national championship, won the heisman,played in a pro-style offense, and has dealt with the media in high profile situation. He has shown tremendous poise in all situations and carried himself that way in the time we've seen him in the pre-season. There is nothing that lends itself to the fact he isn't ready.

Cutler has only shown to have some good potential. He played at minor school that was a blip on other teams schedule. Vandy didn't run a sophisticated offense and they rarely played in any big games or at a very high level. I'm not saying he hasn't looked good in the pre-season but there's alot more to question as to his readiness to start and NFL game. Leinart, no doubt, has the "it " factor while Cutler may have it. I say start Leinart.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
I've read some posts comparing Leinart's situation to Cutler's. To me , there is no comparison other than the fans of both teams want the back-up QB in there. Leinart has been said to be the most NFL ready QB to come along in years. He played at a high profile college, played in humongous games, played in hostile stadiums, won the national championship, won the heisman,played in a pro-style offense, and has dealt with the media in high profile situation. He has shown tremendous poise in all situations and carried himself that way in the time we've seen him in the pre-season. There is nothing that lends itself to the fact he isn't ready.

Cutler has only shown to have some good potential. He played at minor school that was a blip on other teams schedule. Vandy didn't run a sophisticated offense and they rarely played in any big games or at a very high level. I'm not saying he hasn't looked good in the pre-season but there's alot more to question as to his readiness to start and NFL game. Leinart, no doubt, has the "it " factor while Cutler may have it. I say start Leinart.

Your entire post is incorrect. We were comparing more of the coaching side of the situation.

And saying Vandy didn't play any big games is just plain stupid.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see these guys careers in parallel.

They're vastly different QBs; the only thing they have in common is the poptential for greatness.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
College stats = nothing IMO.

I agree! Otherwise we really missee the boat on:

Jason white, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel, and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gino Torretta[/FONT]

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score

LOL. I think he meant a game that is "big" to both teams. Playing in the national championship game 2 years in a row plus the Rose Bowl when you're ranked #1 in both human polls is "big." Coming into every Pac-10 game knowing that each opponent wants to knock down the defending national champions is big.

Vandy playing a great SEC team while finishing 2-9 is not even in the same league.

IOW, Vandy/LSU was only a big game to one of the teams. The other team thought it would be a blow out.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Your entire post is incorrect. We were comparing more of the coaching side of the situation.

Yep, you're right.I'm sure the first thing Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama did was put a big circle around Vandy as a big game.That Bama/Auburn is nowhere as big as when the Commodores come calling. Face it, Vandy's big games were against the likes of Northwestern so they could compare SAT scores afterward.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I agree! Otherwise we really missee the boat on:

Jason white, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel, and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gino Torretta[/FONT]

Well, i don't recall any of those guys being first round draft picks or even being drafted in the first 5 rounds for that matter. Much less being called the most NFL ready QB to enter the draft in years.You're right college stats mean nothing but pro potential does. Leinart has it, those guys didn't.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
Yep, you're right.I'm sure the first thing Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama did was put a big circle around Vandy as a big game.That Bama/Auburn is nowhere as big as when the Commodores come calling. Face it, Vandy's big games were against the likes of Northwestern so they could compare SAT scores afterward.

You actually are going to compare the SEC with PAC 10? Do you even watch college football?

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
You actually are going to compare the SEC with PAC 10? Do you even watch college football?

Regardless of the quality of the SEC compared to the PAC-10, it's ludicrous to say that Vandy has had as many big games as a team that went to a bowl game while ranked as the #1 team in the country, 3 years in a row.

IOW, whether or not LSU or Tennessee is better than USC is irrelevant. What matters is that LSU/Vandy is not a big game. Tennessee/Vandy may be a big game for rivalry reasons, but it pales in comparison to, e.g., USC/Oklahoma or USC/Texas.

Even USC/California is a bigger game, because USC/California is a game between two teams of relatively equal stature and potential. Vandy's big games were between SEC powerhouses and nobodies.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

No, i don't. Which conference does Ohio State play in? Are they in the MAC? Or the SWAC? :stupid:

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Wait a minute,I think USC just scored on Arkansas again. Of course, i'm pretty stupid, but isn't USC in the PAC 10 and Arkansas in the SEC. Somebody please help me out i get confused pretty easily :shrug: .

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
College stats = nothing IMO.

Really? Maybe we should blindly draw names out of hat for this next draft if college stats are "nothing". It sounds completely pointless to figure who will be a good pro based on how they played in college.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute,I think USC just scored on Arkansas again. Of course, i'm pretty stupid, but isn't USC in the PAC 10 and Arkansas in the SEC. Somebody please help me out i get confused pretty easily :shrug: .

I don't know, because Tennessee is scoring on Cal again and LSU is laughing out loud at the UofA, I can't hear anything from Arkansas.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I don't know, because Tennessee is scoring on Cal again and LSU is laughing out loud at the UofA, I can't hear anything from Arkansas.

But none of those games are as big as the Vandy/ Tennessee State game last week. If Vandy ever plays Rice, you won't be able to get a ticket.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I just looked, Vandy plays Temple next week. I sure hope ABC shows that game instead of the OSU/ Iowa game next Saturday night. I mean,c'mon, THAT is a big game. That would put Vandy on a 2 game winning streak and Temple is going for their initial win under a new starting QB. No matter what, i'm Tivoing it.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Didn't mean to imply that. The point was an obviously overrated Georgia team was lucky to beat horrid 0-4 Colorado.

I know,i'm just messing around and trying to learn a little bit about college football.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus - we get it - any player that did not play at the level of an Ohio State or USC sucks, and will be flops in the NFL because they lack "College Big Game Experience"

Good thing Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Ben Roethlisberger, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens etc never read that....

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really? Maybe we should blindly draw names out of hat for this next draft if college stats are "nothing". It sounds completely pointless to figure who will be a good pro based on how they played in college.

For a QB, college stats really don't mean much. For every Peyton Manning, there are two Ryan Leafs & Akili Smiths. Do you even realize how many draft picks stay in the league more than 3 years? Not very many.

The College game is a different game than the pro game. Success in college along with the right attitude and abilities may translate into success in the pros, but success in college is NO guarantee of any success in the pro game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a QB, college stats really don't mean much. For every Peyton Manning, there are two Ryan Leafs & Akili Smiths. Do you even realize how many draft picks stay in the league more than 3 years? Not very many.

The College game is a different game than the pro game. Success in college along with the right attitude and abilities may translate into success in the pros, but success in college is NO guarantee of any success in the pro game.

Well, everybody knows that. But, most guys who are really good in the NFL were actually really good in college too.

So, just what would you evaluate a college QB on if you had to make the choice?