Lets say we win the #1 pick

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Except Fultz isn't selfish. He is just a great player that doesn't have a lot around him. He has to make a lot happen on his own. I am actually a big fan of Ball and would certainly be fine with getting him if Fultz isn't available, but let's not pretend like the talent around him at UCLA isn't a huge part of the numbers that he is putting up.

Also it has been proven time and again that in today's NBA you need elite scorers to compete in the playoffs and Ball unfortunately doesn't bring that to the table. Ball will lead to great regular season records IMO, but is not someone that is going to take over late in playoff games and take us to the promised land. Elite scoring guards are far more valuable at the moment than elite passing ones and until I see something that proves otherwise than I will continue to believe that.

Obviously I'm in love with the thought of Ball, Booker and Chriss which is why I'd almost prefer not to get the #1 because you probably can't overlook Fultz; he's the consensus pick there...So I'd make it but with an unhealthy amount of opportunity cost running through my mind.

And I definitely overstated what I said before about Fultz being self absorbed by the way - he sounds like a strong character guy, not a problem child at all.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Raw stats are better? How, it is absolutely fair to put Fultz turnovers relative to how much he has to do with the ball.

You could probably make an argument for either stat being better so it's not absolutely fair, and with regard to your turnover comment, I hear you, but you could probably argue that as Ball makes more, and more difficult, passes his low turnovers reflect just how good at passing he actually is.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You could probably make an argument for either stat being better so it's not absolutely fair, and with regard to your turnover comment, I hear you, but you could probably argue that as Ball makes more, and more difficult, passes his low turnovers reflect just how good at passing he actually is.
I have watched a lot of UCLA games and while Ball does make some amazing passes he also gets a ton of assist from very simple passes. Just simple passes from the top of the arc to the angle 3 to Alford account for a good chunk of his assists. He also gets plenty of assists where he makes a pretty simple pass to advance the ball up the floor and the guy receiving the pass makes a good play to score in time for an assist. Therefor IMO Ball's stats are pretty overrated, but he does very much pass the eye test for me with the things he "can" do.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes but the main reason Oden went over Durant was the highschool hype of being ranked #1 for a long time.

He wouldn't have that advantage over Fultz who was ranked #1 for a long time also and then the diminished value of old school centers in todays league, there is almost no way he would go ahead of Fultz if he was in the draft now.
BOTH Oden and Durant would have been drafted over fultz. And rose was a better prospect also. Rose was INCREDIBLY quick. Haven't seen that outta fultz. Also, all those guys WON. You can make excuses all you want, but fultz rarely played in any game where his stats meant anything. That's a HUGE question mark for me.

Lots of talk of him being treated next wade. Only difference . . . Wade carried a mediocre Marquette team single handedly into and through the tourney.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
BOTH Oden and Durant would have been drafted over fultz. And rose was a better prospect also. Rose was INCREDIBLY quick. Haven't seen that outta fultz. Also, all those guys WON. You can make excuses all you want, but fultz rarely played in any game where his stats meant anything. That's a HUGE question mark for me.

Lots of talk of him being treated next wade. Only difference . . . Wade carried a mediocre Marquette team single handedly into and through the tourney.
Wade was a sophomore and played with two other NBA draft picks in Steve Nowak and Travis Diener and two seniors. Nobody on Washington besides Fultz is a draft prospect and Washington lost its 3 top players from last year.

Fultz isn't quick? Dude gets to the rim all the time. Fultz avg 7fta and Rose 5fta.
Fultz beats him across the board scoring , shooting, passing, steals, blocks, rebounds, assists..

Fultz and KD both worked with the same youth trainer who says that Fultz is just as good as KD was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Omg wow. Just stop now.
I like my record in draft prospects, come at me in a year.

There was basically nothing Rose did better than Fultz.

And Rose was almost a full year older than Fultz at time of the draft.

And wow.. Rose won? He played under Calipari and they had 3 NBA draft picks on the roster plus a few guys who were good enough to play internationally.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Slin, I am asking this question with complete sincerity and not being snarky . . . you live overseas, do you base your opinions on watching a large volume of college GAMES or based on stats, write-ups, and highlight vids?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Dwayne wade Had turned 21 by time Marquette made the run in march of 2003.

Fultz doesn't turn 19 for two more months, not a good comparison

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wade was a sophomore and played with two other NBA draft picks in Steve Nowak and Travis Diener and two seniors. Nobody on Washington besides Fultz is a draft prospect and Washington lost its 3 top players from last year.

Fultz isn't quick? Dude gets to the rim all the time. Fultz avg 7fta and Rose 5fta.
Fultz beats him across the board scoring , shooting, passing, steals, blocks, rebounds, assists..

Fultz and KD both worked with the same youth trainer who says that Fultz is just as good as KD was.

I didn't know some random Youth Trainer said he was as good as KD.

Case closed folks. Can't argue with facts like that.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the Suns get the first pick you take Fultz...
I want Josh Jackson so work out the math on how to trade down.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dream scenario, get the top pick, Lakers get screwed, Sixers end up with like 3rd and 5th picks, we trade number 1 for 3 and 5, draft Jackson and Markkenan.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It does kinda suck that we're seeing these guys in the tourney and Fultz is never playing in pressure situations or with anything on the line.

Lonzo not making much of an impact.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does kinda suck that we're seeing these guys in the tourney and Fultz is never playing in pressure situations or with anything on the line.

Lonzo not making much of an impact.

As he just hits two massive threes from deep.

I get liking Fultz... but bashing Ball and comparing him in any way shape or form to Kendall Marshall is insanity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for Slin to tell us all the reasons Ball's 18/8/7 game wasn't that good tonight.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Can't wait for Slin to tell us all the reasons Ball's 18/8/7 game wasn't that good tonight.
Thought Ball played great. Him and Jackson stood out the most to me out of all the games today/tonight...especially Jackson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tatum may be a great pro but every time I watch him I have questions about his athleticism on the next level.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to admit, knowing the Suns have a real shot at a top 3 pick, watching these games, and reading the arguments back and forth--this is a whole heap of fun.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, knowing the Suns have a real shot at a top 3 pick, watching these games, and reading the arguments back and forth--this is a whole heap of fun.

It seems like the first important conversation about the future of the Suns in a very, very long time.

This is a game changer draft and this group of young talent the Suns have harvested is probably one game changer away from being super interesting for the next five years.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting. Duncan, Brand, Ming, Howard, Rose, Griffin, Davis, Towns. I think those all would have gone ahead of him. I am not sure about Kyrie and Wall. Of course, its just speculation on my part.

I'm not sure about Brand. Ming and especially Griffin are even more questionable.

Rose was definitely not a better prospect than Fultz. Rose may be a better athlete but Fultz is definitely a better shooter and more polished scorer.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Brand. Ming and especially Griffin are even more questionable.

Rose was definitely not a better prospect than Fultz. Rose may be a better athlete but Fultz is definitely a better shooter and more polished scorer.
Fultz has a better jumper than Rose does even right now. Rose is better at getting to the rim and finishing at the rim, but Fultz has a much better natural shot, especially from 3...where Rose never really developed. If there's 5 seconds left in the game...you're giving the ball to Fultz over Rose...100%

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Fultz has a better jumper than Rose does even right now. Rose is better at getting to the rim and finishing at the rim, but Fultz has a much better natural shot, especially from 3...where Rose never really developed. If there's 5 seconds left in the game...you're giving the ball to Fultz over Rose...100%

How? Fultz is getting to the line at a higher rate than Rose did.

Fultz
You must be registered for see images

Ball
You must be registered for see images

Keep in mind Balls shooting % close to the rim are propped up by an uproportionally high amount of transition production.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Ball's shooting versatility is quite amazing. He is competent from a number of places on the floor.

I will be thrilled with Fultz, Ball, or Jackson. If I had to choose for THIS SUNS team, Ball would be a fit. I just see him playing alongside Booker, Chriss, TJ etc more effectively.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05