Manning says NO to Chargers

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three issues here:

1. "ME-LI":
If the kid has the stuff that great QB (and people are made of) he'd go to his old man and tell him - "I know you're looking out for my best interests, but it's time for me to stand on my own 2 feet. Interceding on my behalf isn't going to help me win the respect of the league or its players. I appreciate (and want) the advice, but would rather you communicate with me directly and let me be the one that deals with Condon, Tagliabue or any NFL team."

2. INTEGRITY OF THE LEAGUE AND THE DRAFT:
If the Manning Familee is permitted to roll Tagliabue or the Chargers, it sets a horrible precedent. Football is all about team (with its stars operating within the team concept). As soon as you give special privileges to "pheenoms" (who, incidently, haven't played a lick of pro ball), the integrity of the league is jeopardized.

3. IMPACT ON THIS YEAR'S DRAFT:
It should help the Cardinals. If the deal finally gets done, Manning would be one of the two players drafted ahead of us (& one less team who can draft Fitzgerald), and either Gallery goes next or he's available to us to trade down with.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing i can say on this is that Archie may see things like he did when he was in New Orleans and doesnt want his Kid to go through the same things, you cant really blame him for that. San Diego has no receivers, no line, and is more than a while away from really competing. I just think he doesnt want his kid to go through everything he did. but then again I could be wrong...

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
seesred said:
Your both right Broadway Joe was drafted by the Cards and the then NY Titans he chose the money and went to NY. Kelly S on the other hand was I am bigger than the game smarts. He failed, Broadway Joe never failed and except for bad knees he might have been one of the greatest. He did star in one of the greatest Super bowls beating back the great Baltimore team. Babe Ruth and Joe both called their own shots.

GBR
The Titans were from 1960-1962. He was drafted by the Jets in 1965. He had a good career - although he only had I think 3 winning seasons in a 10 yr +/- career . Injuries killed his career...

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
It also could be a ploy by the Mannings because SD hasn't put a killer offer on the table yet. The Mannings could be shooting for a mega offer and are disappointed that they are not getting it. Who knows. Don't believe anything this time of year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
It also could be a ploy by the Mannings because SD hasn't put a killer offer on the table yet. The Mannings could be shooting for a mega offer and are disappointed that they are not getting it. Who knows. Don't believe anything this time of year.

That is what I was thinking. Also the article doesnt say that the quote comes from a family member but the so called, "Unnamed source". Untill I hear it straight from the source I will take it with a grain of salt.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
That is what I was thinking. Also the article doesnt say that the quote comes from a family member but the so called, "Unnamed source". Untill I hear it straight from the source I will take it with a grain of salt.

ESPN says that it's the GM of the Chargers that released the statement:

ESPN.com News Services said:
Manning's agent, Tom Condon, informed the Chargers that Archie Manning does not want his son to be drafted by the team. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed the news Wednesday night, a day after the elder Manning visited team officials at the Chargers training complex.

Papa Manning to Chargers: Don't Draft My Son

BTW: Best... Headline... Ever

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
The NFL should pay college players like the farm system it is?

Please.

With that logic, every business in the country should be paying college STUDENTS like the farm system it is.

College students, scholarships or not, could be drafted by the NFL, but the NFL always drafts great college football players. The best player is usually drafted #1 overall, and receives millions of dollars from the worst team in the league. That's the deal. If Archie doesn't want his little boy beat up like he was in New Orleans, he should have told him to be a sportscaster or something.

Archie talks about going to San Diego to let them know what "WE" want? Who the hell is this "WE" he's talking about, what a putz. Eli should be ashamed of himself for letting his daddy interfere with his career like this.

Let's hear from Rothlisberger's dad, or how about Gallery's dad. Whats "their" position on where they think their sons should play?

Boy am I glad we won that last meaningless game last year, for there, but by the grace of the NFL gods, we coulda been.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Football is not just a business. I am so tired of hearing that crap. Baseball is in the mess it is in because it is treated as a business. You have large numbers of teams that know they have no chance to win on day one. That is terrible for those fans. Sports is about competition on the field not in the board room or the market place. If I wanted to watch competiton in the marketplace all I have to do is turn on the news and watch the NYSE and NASDAQ reports. No one is forcing Manning to be a NFL player. If a team drafts him and he doesnt want to play for them then he can find another career.

Last edited:

pinnacle

Reaction score
strange as this sounds...I personally do not think it is about the Chargers being a horrible organization. I think that historically that honor goes to the Bengals and Cardinals...and I would bet that if the Bengals had the #1 pick and need a qb - Manning would be all over it. Now lets say that manning came out last year and would have been ahead of Palmer - I bet the manning clan would have been all over signing with the Bengals..who are historically a bad organization. I think it is more about geographics.. I am of the opinion that the manning clan does not want Eli to play in the western U.S. Granted - New York is not in the South (where the family lives and is from) or in the Midwest (where brother plays in Indy) - but they view New York as the big time and it is easy for mom and dad to visit (flights from new orleans, etc).... So I think has more to do with the location of San Diego (west coast) and the fact that it is not a big market - but I am not sure about the big market thing - lets say that either the raiders or chargers were in Los Angeles ..a big market...I think the manning clan would still bitch and moan...they cannot see west (they probably consider anything west of texas, kansas city, etc. as being unattractive).

I think Elway had the opposite issues....he wanted to play somewhere in the western U.S....

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe Archie knows deep down inside that Eli is nowhere near the player Peyton is. That being the case, where Peyton could go to a team like the Colts and improve the team on his own, Eli will need a strong supporting cast to survive.

It's a theory.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I dont buy that a Dad chooses his son's team by determining ease of flights to the games. I do not live in NO but assume there are a good number of flights to SD anyway.

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Maybe Archie knows deep down inside that Eli is nowhere near the player Peyton is. That being the case, where Peyton could go to a team like the Colts and improve the team on his own, Eli will need a strong supporting cast to survive.

It's a theory.

I agree totally. Manning is overrated beyond belief. It's quite odd that Peyton had no problems going to a dog **** team, one that had no real success since the 70's. A team that was looking to bail out on it's city, and still is. Yet no stink from the Manning when he knew either SD or Indy was taking him. What at the time would make Archie think the Colts would improve? A lucky trip to the AFC Championship game a few years earlier?

Little brother is in the same situation and now it's a problem? Something isn't right.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Eli Manning is going to be a star. I would love to be able to save these posts of people who have doubts about his ability to bring back once he is a star. A dad never questions the talent of his son because he is too close to him to really judge his ability. In his eyes the son is unstopable.

I believe it is very likely Archie and Peyton got to talking with Eli about how painful it is to learn to be a pro QB with a team that has a reputation for losing and making bad personnel moves. I think they have told him it is much better to get drafted by a team that is temporarily bad but has record of successes.

To me that does not explain the Giants though. The Giants other than the Parcel days have not been that good. The Giants last Super Bowl appearance was a fluke. The Giants got hot at the right time that year and got on a roll.

I think the endorsement opportunities will be much greated in NY than other cities. So I think combination of Giants are best of the bad teams and endorsements.

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
jerryp said:
I agree totally. Manning is overrated beyond belief. It's quite odd that Peyton had no problems going to a dog **** team, one that had no real success since the 70's. A team that was looking to bail out on it's city, and still is. Yet no stink from the Manning when he knew either SD or Indy was taking him. What at the time would make Archie think the Colts would improve? A lucky trip to the AFC Championship game a few years earlier?

Little brother is in the same situation and now it's a problem? Something isn't right.

My thoughts exactly. Why the stink over SD when they were OK four years ago? The math just doesn't add up.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
Eli Manning is going to be a star. I would love to be able to save these posts of people who have doubts about his ability to bring back once he is a star. A dad never question the talent of his son becuase he is too close to him to really judge his ability. In his eyes the son is unstopable.

Please do save the posts. It's 50/50 which side will be eating crow in three years anyway.

I don't know if you're a parent or not but, I fully know my childs strengths and weaknesses. Not only in sports but mental readiness and exactly how much pressure he can handle. No father is that blind to reality.

I believe it is very likely Archie and Peyton got to talking with Eli about how painful it is to learn to be a pro QB with a team that has a reputation for losing and making bad personnel moves. I think they have told him it is much better to get drafted by a team that is temporarily bad but has record of successes.

To me that does not explain the Giants though. The Giants other than the Parcel days have not been that good. The Giants last Super Bowl appaearance was a fluke. The Giants got hot at the right time that year and got on a roll.

So you agree with me? Why NY over SD. Because in NY he will get the most money. In NY the first year will be Caughlins rebuilding program. Because in NY the hype will last longer and the blame for failure can be spread further. In SD if Eli screws the pooch the fans will be screaming for Brees and Eli will be called a bust sooner rather than later. NY has no QB controversy, The blame can be spread to others.

I think the endorsement opportunities will be much greated in NY than other cities. So I think combination of Giants are best of the bad teams and endorsements.

Strike while the iron is hot. I can't say I blame them for that.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating an idea previously posted.

I'm torn on the subject of athletes refusing to play for certain teams.

On one hand, I think "Screw that. You're making millions of dollars to play a figgin game. You'll go where the NFL tells you to go."

On the other hand, I can sympathize with the players. Why shouldn't they be able to be employed where they want to be--or at least not where they DON'T want to be. What if one of your compant's competitors said to you: "We just bought your rights. You're moving to Cleveland. Pack up, we need you there next week."? You might see who else is hiring in a city where you want to live, and if you could find a job, say, in San Fancisco, you might want to take that one instead.

But, that's not the way it works in the NFL. In Fact, it's this very system that prompted the Warren Sapp "Slave Trader" comment.

But, like I said, I'm torn. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Certain jobs mean you might not get to live where you want. For example university professor you have to go to whatever university offers you a position. Or an actor you go where the movie is being filmed and you probably have to live in LA until you get established.

I think its fair otherwise NY will always get the best players.

The monetary compensation is terrific and you only have to live there for 6 months.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I have been posting here only a short time but I feel the need to complement the other posters on their civility. I post political observations and questions occasionally at another site and they can be some of the rudest people. Instead of addressing a point you make they attack you personally. So thanks so far.

If Manning's prospects for stardom were 50/50 I do not believe he would be the consensus #1 pick. Sporting News says he has highest floor of all the picks. Highest floor meaning safest pick. I have no doubt he will go number one.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
I have been posting here only a short time but I feel the need to complement the other posters on their civility. I post political observations and questions occasionally at another site and they can be some of the rudest people. Instead of addressing a point you make they attack you personally. So thanks so far.

Are you talking abour the forum in AZcentral? Cause those guys like Tidy and RW Parker are scum IMO.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the best forum I have ever come across. There have been a couple flareups but even they are not really all that bad. And I mean forum of any topic on the net not just football. All praise to Skkorp and the posters they keep it great here!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:

If Manning's prospects for stardom were 50/50 I do not believe he would be the consensus #1 pick. Sporting News says he has highest floor of all the picks. Highest floor meaning safest pick. I have no doubt he will go number one.

Thanks for the compliments. It is truly a great fan forum thanks to Skkorp.

The odds look like he will be #1. To who will be interesting. Whether he lives up to it will be a whole new thread. I think his floor is highly exagerated based on the name. But, we will see. I just hope he dosn't fall to #3, And if he does I hope we use that to trade out. We don't need a primodonna sucking the life out of this team. Been there through the Plummer era. I think McCown will surprise all of us.