Manning says NO to Chargers

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
abomb said:
Does anyone else think that maybe the Giants are pushing this tale? Kind of forcing SDs hand?

What do you guys think SD would get for the swap? Swap 1s and get a 2? Ike Hilliard?

A-Bomb

But the bolts know its not a guarantee Gallery will be there, if Gallery is their man. What's going to happen if Oakland trades down with somebody and whoever the team Oak trades with pick up Gallery then SD is SOL.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone have a Chargers board link?

I bet they are going off.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1787281

NEW ORLEANS -- The Manning family doesn't want Eli Manning to play for the San Diego Chargers, and has told the team so, a New Orleans television station reported Wednesday night.

WWL-TV quoted an unidentifed source as saying that the family urged the Chargers not to use their No. 1 pick in the NFL draft to choose him.

"The Manning family has told the Chargers that they don't feel the situation there is one they want to be a part of," it reported.

The report did not elaborate on "the situation". San Diego is 4-12, with the NFL's top pick for the second time in four seasons.

The New York Giants have been trying to trade up from No. 4 for the top pick and Manning, the top-rated player in the draft.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SD should draft him then hold him hostage
and really squeeze the blood outta NYG if they want him.

Looks like NYG really want him if he gets past us they better give us something real pretty!

Hey what does the Manning family think about the Cards or Raiders taking him - are these teams allowed to take him or are only NYG allowed to.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This crap is absolutely disgusting. Any one of us would kill to play football for any team, while these idiots have it in their heads now that they can pick and choose whoever they want to play for. The sickening thing is, at this point, they basically can.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
SD should draft him then hold him hostage
and really squeeze the blood outta NYG if they want him.

Looks like NYG really want him if he gets past us they better give us something real pretty!

Hey what does the Manning family think about the Cards or Raiders taking him - are these teams allowed to take him or are only NYG allowed to.

OMG I have to agree with this. :shrug:

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
Eli is no John Elway. Heck, Eli is no Elroy "wiggly hips" Dopplehanger. Eli could go out in the first preseason game and blow out his knee. These kids need to get paid a rookie minimum until they prove something in the NFL!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
If this story is true, you need look no further than his agent.

Thats rediculous. Tahts not an agents decision! Its Eli's!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does something like this have to become public? The Mannings should know better. This helps nobody and hurts evetrybody.
Anybody that liked Eli is now pissed at him. The Chargers are hurt by it, and so is the NFL.
The next thing we will start to hear is how the NFL Draft is unconstitutional.

Eli, just shut up and go play football.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO nothing at all wrong with what the Mannings are doing as pro football is a business. There is a lot more money to be made in New York than San Diego. Plus the Giants are a better franchise than San Diego. The real pressure is on the Giants now to do something. Now is the best time for Manning to state where he wants to play not after he is drafted.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
The question it raises with me is have the Giants been negotiating with Manning. I have heard the Giants want to trade up for a QB. If the Giants have been talking deals with Manning that is tampering.

The draft is supposed to give bad teams a chance to draft better talent so that they get better. If the draft breaks down and players go where ever they want then the NFL is no better than college. In college it is next to impossible for bad teams to get better. That is why I dont like college football. I know my alma mater Mizzou has no chance of ever winning a national championship or even being competitive over the long haul. So I very seldom watch it live or on tv

Last edited:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that if San Diego drafts him that Manning can sit out a year and be re-drafted next year. If that is so the NFL needs to change that rule where if a player is drafted by a team that team owns the rights for 10 years. That would solve the problem or prima donnas breaking down the system that is in place to ensure competitive football.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
I believe that if San Diego drafts him that Manning can sit out a year and be re-drafted next year. If that is so the NFL needs to change that rule where if a player is drafted by a team that team owns the rights for 10 years. That would solve the problem or prima donnas breaking down the system that is in place to ensure competitive football.

Completely agree with that! It should most definately be 10 years!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
az jam said:
IMO nothing at all wrong with what the Mannings are doing as pro football is a business. There is a lot more money to be made in New York than San Diego. Plus the Giants are a better franchise than San Diego. The real pressure is on the Giants now to do something. Now is the best time for Manning to state where he wants to play not after he is drafted.

Jam its a privilege to play in the NFL and not one player is bigger than the game, I hope you know that.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Once a player registers for the draft he must be ready to play for any team that drafts him. He could sign for the minimum amount of time to play for that team and then choose next his location as a free agent. The franchise tag should be struck down as illegal.
Now if he didn't throw his name into the ring, a player should be able to come in as a free agent and sign with any team he chooses, providing they want him. Of course the team wouldn't be obligated to pay said player draft slot money.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating an idea previously posted.

I'm torn on the subject of athletes refusing to play for certain teams.

On one hand, I think "Screw that. You're making millions of dollars to play a figgin game. You'll go where the NFL tells you to go."

On the other hand, I can sympathize with the players. Why shouldn't they be able to be employed where they want to be--or at least not where they DON'T want to be. What if one of your compant's competitors said to you: "We just bought your rights. You're moving to Cleveland. Pack up, we need you there next week."? You might see who else is hiring in a city where you want to live, and if you could find a job, say, in San Fancisco, you might want to take that one instead.

But, that's not the way it works in the NFL. In Fact, it's this very system that prompted the Warren Sapp "Slave Trader" comment.

But, like I said, I'm torn. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Once a player registers for the draft he must be ready to play for any team that drafts him. He could sign for the minimum amount of time to play for that team and then choose next his location as a free agent. The franchise tag should be struck down as illegal.
Now if he didn't throw his name into the ring, a player should be able to come in as a free agent and sign with any team he chooses, providing they want him. Of course the team wouldn't be obligated to pay said player draft slot money.
I don't think that's the way it works. If Eli graduates, he can be drafted--he doesn't have to declare. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's be able to walk out of college and into the team-of-his-choice's locker room. Otherwise you'd see that a heck of a lot more often with the top players in the draft.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Jam its a privilege to play in the NFL
Actually, it's a right. Just like any other worker who's qualified for a job when an employer wants to hire someone. You have a right to work for a market wage.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Actually, it's a right. Just like any other worker who's qualified for a job when an employer wants to hire someone. You have a right to work for a market wage.

Actually its a privilege cause not average Joe's like me and you Pariah can come in and play the game.

Bobcat

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
If the story is true then I lost respect for the Manning family.

Join the fan club. Archie Manning really wasn't a great NFL QB. Really he wasn't. Yes he played for a bad team. But so did A lot of good and great QB's. He is really living off of his Kids coat tails isn't he.

Remember you draft the player not his family. Warner and his wife, Eli and his dad. seem that the teams should control your destiny, not your dad when you get drafted.

If I was the NFL I would sanction Archie Manning for tampering with the NFL 2004 Darft.

I am so glad we are not going to draft that guy. He maybe good now, but who knows he may really turn out to be another Leaf due to his parents interference.

Allan

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I don't think that's the way it works. If Eli graduates, he can be drafted--he doesn't have to declare. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's be able to walk out of college and into the team-of-his-choice's locker room. Otherwise you'd see that a heck of a lot more often with the top players in the draft.

I'm saying that's the way it should be. Until the NFL pays college players like the farm system it is, then they shouldn't be arbitrarily be able to establish that the players rights are up for grabs in the draft. The player should have to declare himself eligible for the draft. I bet this will be the next lawsuit to test the NFL.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Actually its a privilege cause not average Joe's like me and you Pariah can come in and play the game.
So what? We're not qualified. You're probably not qualified for my job, and I'm not qualified for yours. NFL players are qualified to play in the NFL. That job is no more a "privilage" than yours or mine. It's a heck of a lot cooler, but technically speaking, it's not a privilage.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

San Diego "earned" the right to pick 1st.
They pick Eli, he refuses to play for them.
Another team could trade for him.
If not, Eli sits out a year, re-enters the draft next year. The Chargers lose out on the #1 pick, get a supplemental pick at #33.
Let's tweak this idea until it is Solomon like in its' fairness....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05