Marcus Banks Has Officially Signed w/the Suns!!!!!!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Steven Hunter is still being discussed? I guess the guy needs to retire before everyone finally realizes that the Suns don't want him. D'Antoni didn't want him when BC was GM, you think they'll bring him back now that the Coach is GM?

They still tried to re-sign him after making the deal for Raja but Philly came up with the big offer and he went there.

For what he would do with this team, he'd be perfect (little playing time, just needs to block shots and provide interior D in stretches) but he makes too much $$ unless we are willing to go over the tax line

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts come to mind. Is there a team out there that needs the TE enough to unload a player with the right salary? The Suns could even sweeten it with a pick.

There are some undersized bigs out there but I do not know there status, like Fizer and Baxter. I like Lampe for further development. Fizer played extremely well at the end of last year. I still like Steven Hunter for the TE.

The Suns could also do a sign and trade with James Jones. KT is also an option but I'd really like to keep him but I know extensions are looming for Diaw and Barbosa. Maybe with the right pick(s), the Suns could even get a couple of young role players with KT's salary. Also Barbosa might become more expendable as well in the right sign and trade. I feel Barbosa and JR could fetch a quality player in return.

Anyway I'm not pushing anything. I'm just brainstorming. I am so glad the Suns filled at least one of their needs with a quality player at the PG or the frontcourt. This is enough for me right now... if the Suns fill out their roster with minimum type role players. Go Suns. :thumbup:

Also, what happens to Eddie House. I really like him but he and Barbosa are almost redundant. It would be sad to see House leave as he really gave the Suns a good effort last season.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
They still tried to re-sign him after making the deal for Raja but Philly came up with the big offer and he went there.

For what he would do with this team, he'd be perfect (little playing time, just needs to block shots and provide interior D in stretches) but he makes too much $$ unless we are willing to go over the tax line

I'll agree to disagree with you. I don't think a soft center will do anything for us. I'd much rather have Diaw playing at center than Steven Hunter who could not play post defense against Piatkowski. He can block a shot here or there, but only because he's long, not because he's skilled. An opposing PG or SG will think twice about driving against Kurt Thomas, but will automatically drive on Steven Hunter. Any shot blocking presence we try to get should be an intimidator as well. Hunter isn't near that.

If Philly even wanted to get rid of him, what does that tell you, when they want to get rid of BOTH their centers?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
The problem is trying to figure out who is available that preferably fits our needs a big man thats a good defender or another swingman that is within that price range. Anyone know of somebody on the trading block in that price range that fills either of those needs? Might as well show all options available (as I'm also sure the Suns would prefer to get some use out of that trade exemption that will disappear if unused next month)
Pat Garrity, Malik Allen, Zeljko Rebraca...check out the post about halfway down.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75178&page=3

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'll agree to disagree with you. I don't think a soft center will do anything for us. I'd much rather have Diaw playing at center than Steven Hunter who could not play post defense against Piatkowski. He can block a shot here or there, but only because he's long, not because he's skilled. An opposing PG or SG will think twice about driving against Kurt Thomas, but will automatically drive on Steven Hunter. Any shot blocking presence we try to get should be an intimidator as well. Hunter isn't near that.

If Philly even wanted to get rid of him, what does that tell you, when they want to get rid of BOTH their centers?

Like I said he'd work as a short time shot blocker and interior defender. I wouldn't expect much from him considering he'd basically be our 3rd string C.

However like I said he makes too much $$

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Like I said he'd work as a short time shot blocker and interior defender. I wouldn't expect much from him considering he'd basically be our 3rd string C.

However like I said he makes too much $$

Agreed that he is too much money. And agreed that he is a shot blocker most of the time. But disagree with the notion that he's an interior defender. He's awful at that.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Good move by the Suns, Banks probably was my top choice among the available PGs in this years offseason.

Now we need to add a legitimate center option. Or a big guys.

A sign and trade with Kurt Thomas for Gooden, Jeffries or Wilcox might be a possiblity in some kind of scenario.

Brendan Haywood is a guy I think could be good for the Suns to play the Center spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, doesn't Seattle have a ton of young talent upfront and they need to re-sign Wilcox. However, they probably do not want to deal with us.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, Sene has been terrific in the summer league. Maybe that frees up the Sonics to let someone go.

Everyone seems a bit too ready to declare this Banks thing a done deal. Remember Salmons!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Lorenzen Wright is probably a pipe dream, but he would be very effective with the Suns in a KT type role. Plus, he is on Amare's bad list, along with Tyson Chandler, and probably Stevie Franchise.

Amare's locked up on a long term deal and he just got paid a lot of money last season to do NOTHING for the team. I can't imagine that he still has a lot of say when it comes to personnel decisions.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Even though im not a big Banks fan, this is a good signing. He def. has talent, and maybe playing under Dantoni and Nash will help him clean up his sloppy half-court game.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JWF said:
Even though im not a big Banks fan, this is a good signing. He def. has talent, and maybe playing under Dantoni and Nash will help him clean up his sloppy half-court game.

I agree, I'd also add I think his defense is being greatly overrated.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Banks will be a reliable change-of-pace PG for us and he will fit in nicely with our shooters, but for a different reason. He plays HARD. He is a very physical player and he'll wear an opponent down by beating him up whereas Nash wears them down by running them out of the gym. Banks is a great athlete who can slash straight to the hole and go in for a jam amongst all the bigs. I hope his signing means Nash averages only 28-30 minutes this year and they split next year. This is a great signing if it's true....

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
how much room do the Suns have now before they hit the tax?

This year? Around $2.5m, by my guesstimate. Enough for one more edge-of-the-rotation-type player and a minimum contract.

I think Gaddabout is the one with the best info. He's able to call and ask. :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Banks will be a reliable change-of-pace PG for us and he will fit in nicely with our shooters, but for a different reason. He plays HARD. He is a very physical player and he'll wear an opponent down by beating him up whereas Nash wears them down by running them out of the gym. Banks is a great athlete who can slash straight to the hole and go in for a jam amongst all the bigs. I hope his signing means Nash averages only 28-30 minutes this year and they split next year. This is a great signing if it's true....

I would not dismiss the idea of having Nash and Banks in the lineup at the same time - with Banks at PG. Nash is not only a very good PG, he's a light's out three point shooter. Letting Nash play off the ball at times would reduce the kind of physical abuse he gets when he's handling the ball.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't expect Banks to want to come here for a mere 18-20 minutes. I suspect that he will be getting minutes in the mid-20's, which obviously means sharing the court with Nash in spots. That makes me wonder if this may cause a pinch at the 2 with the minutes already distributed between Bell and Barbosa. There are 96 game minutes at the 1 and the 2. If Nash gets 30 and Bell gets 33, there's only 33 minutes left to split between Barbosa and Banks. I just wonder how it will all play out....

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect Banks to want to come here for a mere 18-20 minutes. I suspect that he will be getting minutes in the mid-20's, which obviously means sharing the court with Nash in spots. That makes me wonder if this may cause a pinch at the 2 with the minutes already distributed between Bell and Barbosa. There are 96 game minutes at the 1 and the 2. If Nash gets 30 and Bell gets 33, there's only 33 minutes left to split between Barbosa and Banks. I just wonder how it will all play out....

D'Antoni seems to like Bell at SF at least some of the time, so I'm not worried about the minutes allocation.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Bell can play a little at the 3 to alow Banks and Barbs 20mins each with Nash at 28-30 Bell at 30-35. Good problem to have Im not complaining.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
D'Antoni seems to like Bell at SF at least some of the time, so I'm not worried about the minutes allocation.

I can agree to that, but Marion will get his 36-38 minutes based on his production alone and we still have Diaw, Jones and Piatkowski (LOL!). It's a good problem to have on one side, but this just shows how shallow we are up front....

There are 240 game minutes per game:

Nash - 30
Bell-33
Marion-38
Stoudemire - 38
Thomas - 22
Diaw - 30
Banks - 22
Barbosa - 20

I guess it will all work out in the end because that example has our top 8 playing 203 minutes, which is probably low. I suspect our top 8 will get closer to 230 minutes, but DAMN we a painfully thin on the frontcourt....

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
yeah im assuming Banks will occasionally move to the 2 spot.

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
I can agree to that, but Marion will get his 36-38 minutes based on his production alone and we still have Diaw, Jones and Piatkowski (LOL!). It's a good problem to have on one side, but this just shows how shallow we are up front....

Nash - 30
Bell-33
Marion-38
Stoudemire - 38
Thomas - 22
Diaw - 30
Banks - 22
Barbosa - 20

I guess it will all work out in the end because that example has our top 8 playing 203 minutes, which is probably low. I suspect our top 8 will get closer to 230 minutes, but DAMN we a painfully thin on the frontcourt....

yeah, the frontcourt looks horrendous. Two of them have fragile legs, to boot. I'd imagine Amare playing 38 is way too dangerous. I don't think he can manage it. Diaw with 38 and Amare with 30 is more like it. This is where me sorely miss TT's size. I hope we somehow swing a deal to get a decent big - maybe go over the luxury tax limit..that might be the only way out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash said:
yeah, the frontcourt looks horrendous. Two of them have fragile legs, to boot. I'd imagine Amare playing 38 is way too dangerous. I don't think he can manage it. Diaw with 38 and Amare with 30 is more like it. This is where me sorely miss TT's size. I hope we somehow swing a deal to get a decent big - maybe go over the luxury tax limit..that might be the only way out.

I agree that playing Amare in his firts year back 38 minutes a game is suicide and point blank will not happen, but I do think the distribution will ultimately being Amare's favor, more like 32 minutes for Amare and the other minutes left over split between Kurt and Diaw - maybe 33 and 24 or something like that.

If Amare's playing 38 minutes a game, he either better be TOTALLY HEALTHY or the coaching staff is a bunch of complete morons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

Nash - 30
Bell-33
Marion-38
Stoudemire - 38
Thomas - 22
Diaw - 30
Banks - 22
Barbosa - 20

Based on the above, if you think James Jones will be just riding the pine and not playing much in the frontcourt, maybe he should be used in a sign and trade to strengthen the frontline but this would bring salary back. He could also be traded to a team that could absorb his salary for a pick. I'm not sure if this would even help the Suns unless TE's can be combined as the Suns already have about a 3.6 million TE they can use. Also I guess the Suns still have about 2 million left they can spend from what I've heard. I wish the Suns could add at least one more frontline role player that can help at the 4/5. I'm just not sure which direction they should go to do it.

If I sound confused, it's because I am... juggling salaries is not my forte. :confused:

I'm assuming the Suns will be using at least most of the MLE to acquire Banks.

Edit: Perhaps James Jones could be just traded for a 4/5 in his salary range. There are probably not many of these around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05