Marion was fantastic today!!

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
22 points, 11 rebounds...

He won't get the headlines tomorrow but those 11 rebounds and tips were key today. A couple ugly 3s, but I can live with that.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn Marion was just incredibly active today. Some of his biggest contributions to today's game are not going to show up in any stat sheets. This was a great recovery game from him. The big three were awesome.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
he was very aggressive on both sides of the floor....although I still cringe when he shoots 3s

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....although I still cringe when he shoots 3s

Marion had a great game today. Although, likewise, I cringe especially when he shoots 3s not in the the flow of the game. When Marion wants to shoot the 3 (when he has time to think about) he invariably misses.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree, this was the best playoff game I've seen from Marion since Game 6 against Dallas two years ago. I think his three-pointers are like Barkley's, an indulgence we have to tolerate in order to get his best effort. As long as he keeps the attempts to one per half I can deal with it. So he had one too many today, along with the bizarre incompetence at the free throw line. Other than that, a great game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He also had a lame volleyball shot that Bynum could have blocked with his head, what the hell was he thinking throwing that up?
He better not screw up in anyway against the Spurs because Bowen will make it hard on him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Statistically, he had a great game and played some good defense on Odom. However, his stupidity when it comes to basketball intelligence is just mind-boggling. You'd think a veteran like him would have learned a little bit about what NOT to do in a game.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I loved that sequence where Marion saved it from going out of bounds on defense, get's back into the play and gets an offensive rebound and gets a bucket out of it (or was he fouled? can't remember). Just incredibly tenacious and got rewarded for it.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's easy enough to pick on Marion for his messup and things he can't do well, but it is hard to image the Suns being where they are without him. He is one those "does the little things" guys who makes for a winning team.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I find it amazing that some people on this suns site always manage to bring up the negatives about Marion. It does not matter how great a game he plays, it is always the negative instead!!

When Amare or Nash have a great game that is what they talk about, rarely mentioning the negatives, but not when it comes to Marion.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The difference is Nash and Amare almost always have great games in the playoffs, Marion is absolutely invisible every other game in the playoffs. Game 3 by Marion was an absolute disaster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The difference is Nash and Amare almost always have great games in the playoffs, Marion is absolutely invisible every other game in the playoffs. Game 3 by Marion was an absolute disaster.

Game 3 from Nash was a disaster as well, no need to single Marion out.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That's a bit unfair. Marion always gets one of the toughest defensive assignments every game. When Boris disappears, it is a major problem because his main value is offense, but I haven't seen Marion slack off on defense even when the rest of his stats aren't there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bit unfair. Marion always gets one of the toughest defensive assignments every game. When Boris disappears, it is a major problem because his main value is offense, but I haven't seen Marion slack off on defense even when the rest of his stats aren't there.

I agree to the utmost. :)

Marion brings his A game most every night and he has to guard the toughest offensive opponents big or small at 6'7."

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hello! Kobe is Raja's boy, Marion only plays him when bell is out or when he gets switched on a pick and Roll!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So "every other game" is now 1 out of 4. It's new math!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! Kobe is Raja's boy, Marion only plays him when bell is out or when he gets switched on a pick and Roll!

They did a shot breakdown about who guarded Kobe yesterday and Marion and Bell were about equal. D'Antoni switches them up to give Kobe different looks.

sunsfn

Reaction score
They did a shot breakdown about who guarded Kobe yesterday and Marion and Bell were about equal. D'Antoni switches them up to give Kobe different looks.

Yes, and that is a lot of the reason that Kobe passed off as much as I have ever seen him do, after getting in the paint to shoot.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I agree to the utmost. :)

Marion brings his A game most every night and he has to guard the toughest offensive opponents big or small at 6'7."

Well, I can't agree anymore beyond 'utmost'....but i agree too. ;)

Marion rocks, and is very under appreciated by a bunch of folks here. It is plain silly the energy he brings most nights, and the kind of game he plays being only 6'7''. Won't be another player like him for a long time in the league. Glad he is on our team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't agree anymore beyond 'utmost'....but i agree too. ;)

Marion rocks, and is very under appreciated by a bunch of folks here. It is plain silly the energy he brings most nights, and the kind of game he plays being only 6'7''. Won't be another player like him for a long time in the league. Glad he is on our team.

Well, we tend to underappreciate Marion. For his sake, he'd better hope that the Suns do not get the #4 pick. If so, they will get a great player, and he will be on the block for cap relief and draft picks.

Trading Diaw would be better, but his value is little to none right now.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, we tend to underappreciate Marion. For his sake, he'd better hope that the Suns do not get the #4 pick. If so, they will get a great player, and he will be on the block for cap relief and draft picks.

Trading Diaw would be better, but his value is little to none right now.

:confused:

1. Who the Suns pick will have nothing to do with whether the Suns trade Marion. Absolutely nothing.

2. The chances of the Suns trading Marion for immediate cap relief is minimal. After this season, Marion has two years on his contract. There are only about four teams with enough cap space to take Marion's contract without the Suns having to take back contracts. So the best the Suns can hope for in seeking cap relief is to trade for crappy players with one year contracts. This is a common plan for lottery teams, but a declaration of surrender for an elite team to save one year's salary.

3. Diaw is under the base year contract situation, which means you can't make the salaries work unless the other team is under the salary cap. The problem has nothing to do with how valable Diaw is or isn't.