Mark Asher fired at KTAR

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's annoying, un-funny, whiny and a blatant attempt to out-"wolf" Wolfley. Calvisi was only mildly annoying until he started trying to be Lil Ron Wolfley, and then he became grating.

How people see any of his schtick as funny is beyond me, but to each their own. Dude is like nails on a chalkboard to me...

Typical rant: UHHH...HHUHUHHUHHH I MEAN, LIKE, WHERE DO YOU GET OFF DOUG, ON TALKING ABOUT DIMINUTIVE AMERICANS..I MEAN..UHHHHUUUHH..THREE LATER TATERS AND UPTON..I KNOW, RIGHT..UPTON IS RIDING A HOT STREAK...BUT UHHH, DID YOU SEE THAT TRAINWRECK ANDERSON WAS blah blah blah..

:barf:

I liked Calvisi way back when he did the "Wise Guys" with Lombardi (maybe 98?), that was a decent radio show. I mentioned that show to Paul in Nashville last summer when the Cards were training there, he was shocked he actually met someone who listened to that show in TN.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Calvisi way back when he did the "Wise Guys" with Lombardi (maybe 98?), that was a decent radio show. I mentioned that show to Paul in Nashville last summer when the Cards were training there, he was shocked he actually met someone who listened to that show in TN.

Nice.

Paul exudes uberdouche to me though. I've been around him 3 times, and that was three times too many. He seriously makes my skin crawl. Hearing him on the radio makes my ears want to take a permanent vacation listening to Screetchy McScreetchy's greatest hits for eternity.

Yeah, I have some serious distaste for the diminutive american.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I am a fan of 1060 as well. Chuck and Vince are, by far, the best morning sports show in the Valley. Bob Kemp is boring, but at least he talks local sports, and he is the only one to do so in that time slot. Not a big fan of Bruce Jacobs, because he is so contrarian, but at least he is entertaining. I bet Ash ends up as Jacobs' partner when his contract with 620 expires.

My thoughts on the declining local sports radio scene, for what they are worth:

620: Hate Calvisi. His schtick is running thin. I like Burns, when he does D-Backs postgame, but I can't tell him and Calvisi apart on their current show. Hate Gambo and his NY homerism. Love Wolf, but only because he is the only guy on the air that actually played for real. Doug just comes off as the guy who got picked on by the athletes in high school and continues to hold that grudge.

910: Hate Bickley and his holier-than-thou, smarmy attitude and his suck-up interview style. He laughs excessively at his guests' lame jokes and self-promotes worse than anyone on the air. I love Jurecki, but Bickley brings him down.

These other stations rely too heavily on national shows, which just don't give a crap about AZ sports.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of 1060 as well. Chuck and Vince are, by far, the best morning sports show in the Valley. Bob Kemp is boring, but at least he talks local sports, and he is the only one to do so in that time slot. Not a big fan of Bruce Jacobs, because he is so contrarian, but at least he is entertaining. I bet Ash ends up as Jacobs' partner when his contract with 620 expires.

620: Hate Calvisi. His schtick is running thin. I like Burns, when he does D-Backs postgame, but I can't tell him and Calvisi apart on their current show. Hate Gambo and his NY homerism. Love Wolf, but only because he is the only guy on the air that actually played for real.

910: Hate Bickley and his holier-than-thou, smarmy attitude and his suck-up interview style. He laughs excessively at his guests' lame jokes and self-promotes worse than anyone on the air. I love Jurecki, but Bickley brings him down.

These other stations rely too heavily on national shows, which just don't give a crap about AZ sports.
Absolutely!

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

620: Hate Calvisi. His schtick is running thin. I like Burns, when he does D-Backs postgame, but I can't tell him and Calvisi apart on their current show. Hate Gambo and his NY homerism. Love Wolf, but only because he is the only guy on the air that actually played for real. Doug just comes off as the guy who got picked on by the athletes in high school and continues to hold that grudge.

THIS!!!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could reach through the radio and slap Calvisi I would.

He has to be the most annoying radio personality in the history of radio. I have to change the station when "Paul's Call" comes on.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I like Burns, when he does D-Backs postgame, but I can't tell him and Calvisi apart on their current show.

Seriously, because I really only know them from that show, I have a hard time fully chiming in on this thread because I don't really know which is which.

I just wish they had an "authority" who can hold his or her own show. In NY I always liked listening to Bill Daughtry in the evenings because he didn't waste time insulting a co-host, and he could actually have a conversation with his callers because there were only two of them. He also seemed very specifically respectful towards the update folks and his producers.

Come to think of it, my favorite national shows on the ESPN affiliates are probably Up All Night and The V Show: also one-host jobs for the most part. Not that Jason Smith isn't doing schtick throughout...

Last edited:

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I enjoy Calvisi and his schtick!! Gambo and Ash were a good show, Gambo's blog is a great chapter closer. Whether Burn's & Gambo lasts 6 months or 12 years territorial radio will always be influx until the end..

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weird.

Asher & Burns are the only two regulars that I can tolerate. Both Doug & Wolf are just awful. Totally full of themselves. Wolfley and his constant screaming / fooshaw crap is annoying.

Wonder why the lineup is getting changed.

co-sign

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice.

Paul exudes uberdouche to me though. I've been around him 3 times, and that was three times too many. He seriously makes my skin crawl. Hearing him on the radio makes my ears want to take a permanent vacation listening to Screetchy McScreetchy's greatest hits for eternity.

Yeah, I have some serious distaste for the diminutive american.

and this...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Perfectly said... :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greatly googly moogly. what is with the UUUUHHH AAHHHHH UHHHH ERRRR's from Wolfley, Calvisi and Burns. Just stop. I need to find an app for my iphone that lets me plays 910 or 1060.

Hey, Donald, tell that you punched Calvisi in the face 2 out of 3 of the time you saw him.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
lol I like that show. Sports Interactive? Whatever it is I'm good with it. Chuck and Vince are head and shoulders above every other show though.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Wolfley for his passion, but Doug annoys me. Wolfley would be better paired with a straight arrow like he is with Dave Pasch on the Cardinals broadcasts. Gambo and Ash were good, but neither have extensive sports knowledge. Gambo has a few connections where he gets inside info. Ash was just the local guy that we all could identify with

I've been listening to Chuck and Vince since they returned to 1060. Chuck is a witty, unbiased non-fan with strong sports knowledge, specifically in baseball. Vince is the local guy that plays it pretty straight, but occasionally mixes it up with Chuck. They are great, but they have a few bits that I don't care for. Sports Core is ususally good aside from Gibby's diary. Match Chuck is funny and clever, but Vince dominating it takes away from the fun. Both guys are genuinely having a good time as they both spend much of the show laughing and giggling. They are easily the best show on right now. I like Bob Kemp that follows them as well. He's a bit dry, but he breaks down the local teams and games like none other.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ash & MJ? That would have potential!

That would leave Bickley & Jacobs -- I'd give them half an episode before things blew up!

Last edited:

Black T

Reaction score
Someone mind providing cliffs, I dont feel like going through 7 pages.

Why did Ash get fired?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why did Ash get fired?

No reason was ever given by the station. Just a format change that makes zero sense to most people.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why did Ash get fired?

No one will ever say, but I'm pretty sure it was a cost-cutting move. To give Gambo and Ash another big contract, they would have to basically own drive time. Every media outlet around the world is busy cutting payroll, and I think KTAR just removed the biggest salary they felt they could live without, for better or worse. Say what you want about Gambo, but a lot of people that hate him tune in just to give him long enough to aggravate them.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
The Bertrand Berry Show starts tomorrow on 1060. Worth a listen.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

I am extremely sad today. Looks like Chuck and Vince are done at the Fan 1060. Powell is doing to do afternoon talk on 92.3. Vince is going to do something over there sports-related. Damn, my morning drive is gonna totally suck from now on. Vince is done today and Chuck will finish out the month.

Anyone know what The Fan is doing to replace them? Is our morning drive going to be totally devoid of any local shows?

Last edited:

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This really REALLY sucks. Nothing worth listening to in the morning now. Really bummed because I just discovered this show when Doug and Wolf moved and LOVED it. Made my morning drive fly by. I was hoping that Vince would still be on at least but to hear they are both gone is just a kick in the n@ts.

:(

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am extremely sad today. Looks like Chuck and Vince are done at the Fan 1060. Powell is doing to do afternoon talk on 92.3. Vince is going to do something over there sports-related. Damn, my morning drive is gonna totally suck from now on. Vince is done today and Chuck will finish out the month.

Anyone know what The Fan is doing to replace them? Is our morning drive going to be totally devoid of any local shows?

How stupid is The Fan? That makes no sense!