Matt leinart draft prediction

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Leinart was beaten all over the field...and he acted like he still wanted to get in there and play more.

"Beaten all over the field"? Umm..... Leinert had a brilliant second half and USC led by 12 points with 6:00 to go.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah the guys on the USC board are adamant it was Cushing not Booty. They said Carroll is being "nice" by not just saying look guys Keith Jackson is senile that wasn't John Booty it was Brian Cushing.

I still think Leinart was woozy in the first half, even Fouts said more than once he thought something was up with Leinart in the first half, but clearly being told Booty was warming up influences your opinion so to find out that wasn't true, changes things a bit.

I do not remember at what point, but clearly Leinhart was woozy. TV had a close up on him coming off the field and he was blinking his eyes and looked sort of glazed. I was thinking will he come back the next series. He did come back and played well or better than well in the second half. What is the big deal anyway. QB's get their bell rung on a regular basis. If he had a concussion he would not have played anymore. How do we somehow arrive at a conclusion he had a major head problem? Darn! He threw for over 350 yds and lost the national championship in the last 19 seconds. This guy did not win the Heisman Trophy, National Championships, and near a record nurmber of consecutive games by being a mediocre QB. He is just what his record shows and the media hypes him to be. A very special college QB. How good he will be in the NFL can only be seen when he gets there as with any player. One game where he loses and he suddenly turns into some sort of phony QB built on hype.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I don't even think what Leinart said was less than ideal. I like that kind of fire. What should have had said, "Oh it was a tough loss and Texas just outplayed us."

I like it......Leinart was beaten all over the field...and he acted like he still wanted to get in there and play more.

Yep, one of my favorite moments in the game was TExas called for roughing the passer and they get a shot of Leinart saying "bring it on" to the guy who hit him late. That's what makes sports so damn compelling.

My concerns with Leinart are all health related, he's a smart player, he has competitive fire, he's everything you want in that regard. I just have this suspicion he's going to be injury prone.

He really reminds me of Ken Stabler, but a 35 year old Stabler at times.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
"Beaten all over the field"? Umm..... Leinert had a brilliant second half and USC led by 12 points with 6:00 to go.

So he didn't take a couple of big shots?? ABC didn't show him visibly woozy on the sideline??

He's a warrior.....I'm not trying to knock him. But he took some big shots....it would be a concern on the next level. How long would he be able to withstand blind side hits from Umenyiora or Taylor??

It's draft time......get ready for Scouts and fans to start picking your favorite college players apart.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't see the problem with saying I still think we're the best team?

he didn't say they suck, or we gave the game away or the refs robbed us, he said I think we're the best team. The whole country thought that, ESPN has been asking are they the best dynasty ever for weeks now. That whole offense will play in the NFL.

The "best team" doesn't always win, that's what makes sports so damn compelling IMHO.

Leinart is a 22 year old kid who just suffered the biggest loss of his career, so he said that and walked away clearly mad, I just don't see that as being awful. Not like he stomped on Vince Young's leg and then claimed it was an accident.

It just could be that he thinks they are the best team. If he believes it then say it. What is he to do? Say that Texas is clearly the best team and should have won. I am sure his teammates would like that. In a game that close the best team does not necessarily always win.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
Matt Leinhart has serious problems awaiting his future, or should I say the team that waste a huge pick on him.

Mentality that was thought to be soo good was obvious he cant stand losing.
Seemingly a RYAN LEAF like post game performance.

Concussions wow wow wow bet that is boding well on draft nite

Well thank GOD for that.. I could imagine what I would think had he been happy with a loss.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I do not remember at what point, but clearly Leinhart was woozy. TV had a close up on him coming off the field and he was blinking his eyes and looked sort of glazed. I was thinking will he come back the next series. He did come back and played well or better than well in the second half. What is the big deal anyway. QB's get their bell rung on a regular basis. If he had a concussion he would not have played anymore. How do we somehow arrive at a conclusion he had a major head problem? Darn! He threw for over 350 yds and lost the national championship in the last 19 seconds. This guy did not win the Heisman Trophy, National Championships, and near a record nurmber of consecutive games by being a mediocre QB. He is just what his record shows and the media hypes him to be. A very special college QB. How good he will be in the NFL can only be seen when he gets there as with any player. One game where he loses and he suddenly turns into some sort of phony QB built on hype.

With all due respect, I haven't said phony or hype on the kid at all. The hit you refer to happened AFTER the whole Leinart is woozy thing came up. I posted it on teh Rose Bowl thread, and Jackson and Fouts were talking about it during the game. Jackson was wrong about Booty warming up, but I do think he's right that Leinart was wobbled more than once in that first half by Texas.

I like Leinart a lot, but I have seen probably every USC game but two this year and it's about the 4th time this year where I've seen him clearly "out of it" in the game. The ASU game everyoen knows about, the blow to the head. And FYI John, Leinart HAD a concussion in the ASU game, they've admitted it, but guess what, he stayed in the game.

leinart didn't lose that game last night, Vince Young won it. But when you are looking at a 20 million dollar signing bonus as an NFL team you do a LOT of background and medical checks and teams are going to say big knee brace, shoulder surgery in junior HS(he was a pitcher) elbow surgery in college, and an apparent recent history of being woozy, we better check this kid out thoroughly.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't see the problem with saying I still think we're the best team?

he didn't say they suck, or we gave the game away or the refs robbed us, he said I think we're the best team. The whole country thought that, ESPN has been asking are they the best dynasty ever for weeks now. That whole offense will play in the NFL.

The "best team" doesn't always win, that's what makes sports so damn compelling IMHO.

Leinart is a 22 year old kid who just suffered the biggest loss of his career, so he said that and walked away clearly mad, I just don't see that as being awful. Not like he stomped on Vince Young's leg and then claimed it was an accident.

Exactly. The guy has not experienced a loss in like 3 years. I actually liked what I saw from him last night. I liked the fact that he thought they were a better team. It was a stark contrast to what everyone said about him being a laid back.. some say nonchalant uncaring attitude. He showed raw emotion.

I really liked when he told that Texas player to bring it on.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm surprised people are trying to make a big deal over Leinart's comment at the end of the game. Or, maybe it's not surprising. I think some people would enjoy watching him fail.

Exactly. I was a little dissappointed that they lost. I wanted to watch history and I like dynasties. At the same time though it was kinda cool to see Vince step up on the big stage.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt anyone specifically liked watching Leinart fail, but it's the nature of sports for people to root for the underdog. People get tired of the same team winning every year (unless it's _their_ team). Tell me that everyone outside of Chicago didn't get sick of seeing the Bulls win after 6 championships or that the rest of the baseball world isn't sick of the Yankees.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN compares Leinart to Mark Brunnell.

Brunell later in his career yes. Brunell came into the NFL as a great runner, and as his knee problems took away that, he became the QB he is now.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
We'll have to see after Young makes his mind up. I was watching the local news this morning and they quoted Mike Nolan as saying people put far too much into what Mel Kiper and a bunch of draft sites say about people. That players we think "fell" in many cases were never going to go that high in the first place. I think he was really talking about Aaron Rodgers last year but they were asking him if he thought Young would go ahead of Leinart.

I have read there are NFL teams(the Jets for one) that are scared of Leinart's health.

He was amazing in the 2nd half that's for sure.

Could be Russ. If Leinhart had health issues why would he risk no coming out last year when he was a clear top 5 or #1? Young was all world last night but from a pro prospective they would be concerned about his side arm delivery and the fact that he is as much a runner as a passer. He will not be able to carry that running game at the same level in the pros. Some NFL teams prefer pocket passers. Vince has been running and passing from the gun and will enter a new deminsion when he goes to the NFL. It will be very interesting to see how the pros view these guys after all is said and done. I still think Leinhart is the top QB choice but it is just my uninformed opinion. I also think Young would be foolish to not come out. He would seem to be a clear top 10 choice. Why risk millions for one more year of college. That Wisconsin lineman who was headed to the pros had a serious leg injury this weekend and may never make it to the pros. I think I have read where some of the better college players who chose to stay in college take out big insurance policies (like $10 mil) to cover then in case of injury. I can only imagine what that cost.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I've been openly critical that Leinart will be nothing more than Chad Pennington......but man, if he falls to us at #10, I'd do about 95 million backflips. (I'd take a healthy Pennington all day)

He's got a weak arm, lousy pocket mobility and takes some incredibly humungous shots....these things are not new people. He feasted on the Pac 10 all season...he got exploited by an athletically superior defense that the Horns have.

Even with all those warts....I believe he is incredibly smart, still a great leader, and accurate at the college level as I've ever seen between the hashmarks. Also, I think he'd throw a pretty fade ball to Fitz in the corner of the endzone.

Never a fan of making a trade package to get this guy.......but if he freefalls I wouldn't complain at all if the Cards break it.

whaaa??? The guy won 34 straight... 2 consecutive national championship... Heisman trophy... and he just feasted on week Pac 10 defenses???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

He is not a superior athlete, but I would take him a million times over and I don't know anyone with any credible info that would argue the pick

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
I doubt anyone specifically liked watching Leinart fail, but it's the nature of sports for people to root for the underdog. People get tired of the same team winning every year (unless it's _their_ team). Tell me that everyone outside of Chicago didn't get sick of seeing the Bulls win after 6 championships or that the rest of the baseball world isn't sick of the Yankees.

True. And, people get just as sick of individual players. Think moklerman or MOC wouldn't enjoy Leinart falling flat on his face in the NFL?

First of all, Leinart made a lot of people wrong when he returned to school last year. People don't like to be wrong. Second, people hate California glamor-types. Especially when they are banging hot chicks. Third, they will never be as rich or as famous as him, it ticks them off.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Exactly. I was a little dissappointed that they lost. I wanted to watch history and I like dynasties. At the same time though it was kinda cool to see Vince step up on the big stage.

Just an amazing effort by Young. You see that in HS where one team has one player who's just better than everyone else and wins the game, but it's so rare to see that at this level.

I'm a California guy, half of me wanted USC, half Texas(I've always followed Texas closely), but in the end I didn't care who won the game was just so great it didn't matter to me.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
Could be Russ. If Leinhart had health issues why would he risk no coming out last year when he was a clear top 5 or #1? Young was all world last night but from a pro prospective they would be concerned about his side arm delivery and the fact that he is as much a runner as a passer. He will not be able to carry that running game at the same level in the pros. Some NFL teams prefer pocket passers. Vince has been running and passing from the gun and will enter a new deminsion when he goes to the NFL. It will be very interesting to see how the pros view these guys after all is said and done. I still think Leinhart is the top QB choice but it is just my uninformed opinion. I also think Young would be foolish to not come out. He would seem to be a clear top 10 choice. Why risk millions for one more year of college. That Wisconsin lineman who was headed to the pros had a serious leg injury this weekend and may never make it to the pros. I think I have read where some of the better college players who chose to stay in college take out big insurance policies (like $10 mil) to cover then in case of injury. I can only imagine what that cost.

The reason Leinart came back is he had offseason elbow surgery and was concerned if he did come out last year, the surgery would hurt his draft position.

He knew if he came back and won another NC all those concerns would go away. But you declare for the draft and then have surgery on your throwing elbow, it could cost you money.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
whaaa??? The guy won 34 straight... 2 consecutive national championship... Heisman trophy... and he just feasted on week Pac 10 defenses???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

He is not a superior athlete, but I would take him a million times over and I don't know anyone with any credible info that would argue the pick
I've stated as much. If he is there at #10.....you'd be foolish not to pick him up. But at the same time, I always found the "trade up to get Leinart no matter what" threads just as foolish.

I like the guy, and the toughness he showed last night actually made me a fan of his.

But I'm not going to compare defenses like Ohio State/Penn State, or Oklahoma/Texas.......to ASU/UCLA.

BTW--Where are the friggin' Defense team rankings?? Did ESPN move them....they only have offense.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I've stated as much. If he is there at #10.....you'd be foolish not to pick him up. But at the same time, I always found the "trade up to get Leinart no matter what" threads just as foolish.

I like the guy, and the toughness he showed last night actually made me a fan of his.

But I'm not going to compare defenses like Ohio State/Penn State, or Oklahoma/Texas.......to ASU/UCLA.

BTW--Where are the friggin' Defense team rankings?? Did ESPN move them....they only have offense.

My point of contention was that you stated he feasted on weak Pac 10 defenses therefore as I read it implying that that is all he played. He has played in a ton of big games and has always seemed to step up when it counted most.

No one will argue that the Pac 10 lacks defensive proweress, but he did it against everybody.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm surprised people are trying to make a big deal over Leinart's comment at the end of the game. Or, maybe it's not surprising. I think some people would enjoy watching him fail.

I'd enjoy watching him fail all the way down to pick #10.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
My point of contention was that you stated he feasted on weak Pac 10 defenses therefore as I read itimplying that that is all he played. He has played in a ton of big games and has always seemed to step up when it counted most.

No one will argue that the Pac 10 lacks defensive proweress, but he did it against everybody.

My frustration in ASU shows through. Also my bitterness towards Leinart/White......sorry. (still deaf from the Trojan band)

I think it is a moot point to talk about Leinart in Cardinal red. Nobody is going to pass on him at #2. Unless his arm fails a physical....he's just got too much between the ears to pass up.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
My frustration in ASU shows through. Also my bitterness towards Leinart/White......sorry. (still deaf from the Trojan band)

I think it is a moot point to talk about Leinart in Cardinal red. Nobody is going to pass on him at #2. Unless his arm fails a physical....he's just got too much between the ears to pass up.

I dont know NEZ--

If Vince Young comes out, he probably makes Matt the "second" QB-- and

strange things happen, and all it takes is a couple teams to get scared --

there has been some recent history--

Rogers went from "Will he go #1?" to going 20th

Roethlisberger was considered to battle Eli for #1 or so, and slid to 10th

The top guys tend to get nit picked to death between now and the end of the draft. There are plenty of questions about Leihart, and I have read more than one quote that suggests that its the pundits who have made Leinart a top 3 pick, not NFL scouts.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
I dont know NEZ--

If Vince Young comes out, he probably makes Matt the "second" QB-- and

strange things happen, and all it takes is a couple teams to get scared --

there has been some recent history--

Rogers went from "Will he go #1?" to going 20th

Roethlisberger was considered to battle Eli for #1 or so, and slid to 10th

The top guys tend to get nit picked to death between now and the end of the draft. There are plenty of questions about Leihart, and I have read more than one quote that suggests that its the pundits who have made Leinart a top 3 pick, not NFL scouts.

That's what Nolan was saying last night. I think he was largely saying look you guys say Rodgers slipped from #1 but the reality was while we considered him, we preferred Smith all along. I think they were dumb I think Smith is hugely overrated, but he was basically saying just because Kiper and ESPN and NFLDRaftxyz.com show Leinart as the best QB doesn't mean NFL scouts agree.

But if Leinart doesn't become the first QB picked, he'll have slipped in the mind of most of us.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
whaaa??? The guy won 34 straight... 2 consecutive national championship... Heisman trophy... and he just feasted on week Pac 10 defenses????
Are you talking about what Matt Leinart did or what USC did? He's only been starting for 2 years I think. As far as his numbers, I think this year it's been very evident that the o-line and rb's are what makes USC the dominant team that it is. Leinart may be prototypical but I didn't see him carry the offense at all this year. Everytime USC tried to feature the passing game, the opposition would catch up or take the lead. Then in the second half, White and Bush would take over and Leinart would start throwing the long handoffs that, at least this year, are about all he's successful at throwing on a regular basis. If you put Leinart behind Arizona's line or one like it, it won't be pretty (when you consider the signing bonus, draft position and possible trades it took to get him.)