Maverick Fans cannot take criticizm

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
So last night, I posted on the Mavs board about Dirk receiving MVP. I said he was the worst MVP ever, but that he did somewhat deserve it. I said that for the most part, I felt he deserved it for the regular season, and that the voting for MVP should be extended to the first round of the playoffs, because if it had, he would have had no chance to win it. And guess what? I am now banned FOREVER. Haha thought maybe some of you would get a kick out of how sensitive the Mavs fans are, and how funny it is that they can dish it out - but they certainly can't take it.

Rant over.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly? We weren't all that open to criticism of Nash's MVPs, either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't find the final vote tally in any of the articles. does anyone have that? was it close?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but we didn't instantly ban anyone for their comments.

If we had lost to the Lakers in the first round we might have. ;)

At this point rubbing it in with the Mavs is like hitting a dull spot. They're beyond the capacity to feel pain. They're just numb.

OP
OP
PHX 32

PHX 32

Reaction score
If we had lost to the Lakers in the first round we might have. ;)

At this point rubbing it in with the Mavs is like hitting a dull spot. They're beyond the capacity to feel pain. They're just numb.

And very bitter ... which I love ;)

Djaughe

Reaction score
...At this point rubbing it in with the Mavs is like hitting a dull spot. They're beyond the capacity to feel pain. They're just numb.

attachment.php
<----Mav Fan

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
sorry I posted the all nba results.

OP
OP
PHX 32

PHX 32

Reaction score
Just remember, we were a Marion rebound and a Tim Thomas 3 pointer away from Steve being in Dirk's shoes.

Good point, but would we really insta-ban someone? That was my first post on their board and now I'm done haha. Not that I care, I have nothing to say to those people. However, I like to think that we are a pretty accepting board, and that we don't ban on such ridiculous circumstances.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
So last night, I posted on the Mavs board about Dirk receiving MVP. I said he was the worst MVP ever, but that he did somewhat deserve it. I said that for the most part, I felt he deserved it for the regular season, and that the voting for MVP should be extended to the first round of the playoffs, because if it had, he would have had no chance to win it. And guess what? I am now banned FOREVER. Haha thought maybe some of you would get a kick out of how sensitive the Mavs fans are, and how funny it is that they can dish it out - but they certainly can't take it.

Rant over.
Why just extend the award to first round? Why not 2nd, finals, etc.?

I think Dirk really had an awesome season and deserve the award. I don't have any problem with it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mavs elimination from playoffs and crap Dirk has been getting, but the MVP is for regular season and Dirk had a phenomenal season.

OP
OP
PHX 32

PHX 32

Reaction score
Why just extend the award to first round? Why not 2nd, finals, etc.?

I think Dirk really had an awesome season and deserve the award. I don't have any problem with it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mavs elimination from playoffs and crap Dirk has been getting, but the MVP is for regular season and Dirk had a phenomenal season.

I know, and I made it perfectly clear that I believe, for the most part, he deserved it for his regular season efforts.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven't really considered every MVP to see if I agreed Dirk is the worst. I do think the consensus is that he could not overcome a poorly constructed team, which was designed for the regular season and not for the playoffs. (Haven't we heard that one before?)

Going into the playoffs I like the Suns chances against the Mavs much more than I did against the Spurs. This was mostly due to the fact that the Mavs could not play a small ball style with their lineup and their offense relied too much on "one on one" play. (I was hardly the only Suns fan who noted that, much to considerable irritation of the visiting Mav fans).

Dirk is a remarkable offensive threat, a decent rebounder, and even blocks a few shots. He's below average as man defender, but worked well in the Mav team defense concept. However, he was only effective when teamed with a big shot blocker - which meant they were in trouble when the opponent could get out and run.

The MVP is an individual award, but no one wins it on their own. Dirk's failure was in no small part due to the miss matched team Cuban put together.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They showed a graphic during one of the Mavs games and it said Moses Malone was eliminated in the first round twice when he won the MVP award, as well as someone else, I believe it was Wes Unseld, but I could be mistaken. Of course in those days the media scrutiny wasn't what it is today

kps0001

Reaction score
Good point, but would we really insta-ban someone?

As much as I like this board I have never seen so many bannings in my life as I have here.

I am not sure why you are suprised you got banned for what you did on the Mavs board.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course in those days the media scrutiny wasn't what it is today

They didn't give j-school graduates AP Style Guides until the early 80s. Before then, the following items were included in the graduation package for future sports reporters:

- A flask
- A fifth of bourbon, usually of the Kentucky variety
- Number to editor's bookie
- A sweater vest, preferably a dull color and a little stale
- Address to this man's barber
- Bartlett's Guide to War Metaphors (just for Chaplin) ;)

The above image was one of the reasons I got into sports journalism. I thought I was going to be Oscar from The Odd Couple. I had no idea of the shifting culture until I was already working. In the post-Jim Murray world, (most) every sports reporter is looking for the big controversy that will land them the job as a pretentious Sports Illustrated prick -- or at least a few spots as the biggest gas bag on the next pointless ESPN talk show.

If you've ever watched the unbearable preening and PC vernacular passed off as sports journalism on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, this is seen in all of sports journalism as ideal. It's one of the reasons I had to get out of the biz.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I like this board I have never seen so many bannings in my life as I have here.

I am not sure why you are suprised you got banned for what you did on the Mavs board.

You have to be joking. There have not been a ton of bans. There have been more like temporary bans and slapping of the wrists type stuff. I have seen no more bans here then on any other board I am on.

PS. Phx32 if the Mavs board you visited was Dallas-mavs.com I wouldn't be surprised by it either. Mavs fans on other boards make fun of the Mavs fans that show up on those boards for not being objective and blind homer fans. You know it's bad when Mavs fans are making fun of others.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've often wondered if there is a school that was designed to prepare writers to become sports writers. Some of the classes might include:

1. 1001 Cliches for all Occasions
2. How to repeatedly ask pointless questions
3 How to write about sports you do not follow or understand
4. How to ask "how it feels" to do something and then look bored when ther person answers
5 How to ask "no win" questions and then beat up the person whichever way they answer
6 How to pretend to be doing research when all you are doing is talking to other journalists
7 How to turn molehills into mountains in order to generate headlines
8 How to beat up people for things they could not possibly control
9. How to invent unnamed sources without suffering an consquences.
10 How to seemlessly mix fact and opinion
11 How to avoid fact checking and make lies without consequences.

But seriously folks...:sarcasm:

I do not think sports journalism is a contradiction, but at the same time I do not feel publishers/broadcasters take the process seriously.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think sports journalism is a contradiction, but at the same time I do not feel publishers/broadcasters take the process seriously.

Start this as a new thread in the Everything Else category and I'll respond with some personal insight.

OP
OP
PHX 32

PHX 32

Reaction score
PS. Phx32 if the Mavs board you visited was Dallas-mavs.com I wouldn't be surprised by it either. Mavs fans on other boards make fun of the Mavs fans that show up on those boards for not being objective and blind homer fans. You know it's bad when Mavs fans are making fun of others.

Haha, great point, I got the same feeling from that board.

kps0001

Reaction score
You have to be joking. There have not been a ton of bans. There have been more like temporary bans and slapping of the wrists type stuff.

a ban is a ban.

There was a spurs fan that got banned for saying something about a Tillman pic in someones sig. Yes it was very very bad taste for such a comment but he got "insta-banned" for it. Just one example. Not saying it is right or wrong how they want to police there own message board. I know the rules and like it here so I play by them. There are a lot of things said here that people don't agree with or like and as a result I see them banned whether it be temporary or permanent, it is still a ban.

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
Mav fans are still grieving.

Think about how you felt last year after the Mavs beat you in the WCF.

How would you feel if a Mav fans came onto this website a few days after your loss and saying something critical about Nash, or anyone else.

Man, they're only human. Give them a break.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05