McCown benched, King to start

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This shouldn'd be a surprise to anyone.
The writing was on the wall if you read between the lines of Green's, Graves and Josh's comments all week.
The timing of the announcement is as it should be. You don't let your competition know what your plans are until you have to.
I can't wait for the game.
Let's go CARDS.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
O said:
This shouldn'd be a surprise to anyone.
The writing was on the wall if you read between the lines of Green's, Graves and Josh's comments all week.
The timing of the announcement is as it should be. You don't let your competition know what your plans are until you have to.
I can't wait for the game.
Let's go CARDS.

:raccoon: :raccoon: :raccoon:

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
I hope that King has the stuff we need to get this Offense going! I like McCown and think he still will develop into a good QB. But we are realistically in the playoff hunt. We need to win!

But I also would not be suprised to see this as a result of McCowns neck injury and King is just playing this week.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
jmt said:
I like Josh but he has not played well. I believe the move to King is related to the neck injury.

Look at it this way- Josh never used his neck to look for other WRs other then his primary guy, now that the neck is injured he would really lock on his WRs. I like the move right now- S.King has big game experience and will get this offense moving in the right direction. Josh will have a chance to heal up and watch from the sidelines and maybe pick up on some things he needs to improve on. It's win-win situation for the Cardinals. Also kudus for Denny waiting til late Saturday night to announce it as Carolina prepared for Josh all week. Thats NFL Head Coaching 101 at its best.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the players were aware a change was going to take place as King was taking half of the snaps. This is typical Dennie Green in action. He does not make announcements in the press and keeps everything within the team (the family). You will never hear him rip a player. He will not rip Josh just state they are going another direction with King. Its all about winning and putting who he feels gives them the best chance to win. If King plays good and they win then I feel that the move will be permanent for the rest of the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Maybe. But, if he made his mind up on Saturday morning King should start, should he have waited until Monday to announce a change?

Or, maybe since you caught onto his plan to bench Emmitt for going to Dallas, he decided to bench McCown instead so you don't run out of ammo for your conspiracy theories! :D

Hey we still don't know if Emmitt is starting? :)

I guess the idea was let Carolina think Josh was startig, but the articles suggest the players didn't know until yesterday :) .

Whatever works.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
bashers on the left, mccownites on the right. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

You know what, we're all Cardinal fans......no one is gonna complain about a W.....doesn't matter who's taking the snaps, Josh, King, My Grandma Dena....

Let's just win.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Wow I log on for the first time and pow there it is.

Well I can honestly say that I have trusted Green this far and still do.

I think the timing of the thing just proves my point that King isn't the answer so much either as Green probably came to the conclusion that Josh isn't.

Green did the smart thing and maximized the move at the right time to give the opponents the least time to adjust to it.

All those that don't agree with the timing I would have to respectfully disagree and say that if you are going to do this it really couldn't have been done better to achieve the maximum effect for at least one game.

I will say again the fact it took this long to make the move probably means Green was very sure of exactly what he had in King and not so much Josh. To be fair the excuses even I was making for Josh were wearing thin and most of my faith was that Green knew more than I and still started Josh.

That part is gone now so I guess he came to the conclusion that Josh right now isn't going to make it. He probably figures that the chances are Josh will never get it and right or wrong at some time you have to make that call.

Josh may very well get it but he has had a fair shot at it I think and wasn't making a very strong case for himself. Best of luck to him.

The greatest thing about all of this is that we have a team that won't accept mediocrity. I was saying this all along that Green wants to win and win now, he has it under control and even those who had no faith in Josh will have to acknowledge that.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
I think this move has been coming for a long time.

Hopefully it will work, if it does, our run to the playoffs starts today.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
This could end up like Brees and SD. Last year they bench him for Flutie, now look at him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
The greatest thing about all of this is that we have a team that won't accept mediocrity. I was saying this all along that Green wants to win and win now, he has it under control and even those who had no faith in Josh will have to acknowledge that.

The one thing is if King comes out and moves the team and we improve the offense the rest of the year, we'll absolutely look back and wish we'd made the move earlier.

Now I'm really screwed, I have Clayton against a beat up SF secondary and Roy Williams against a horrible Minnesota defense, Holt is injured, but I just KNOW that Green is going to feature Fitz today so that people don't attack him for passing on Ben, now that he's benched Josh. I really am tempted to start Fitz now for that reason alone. I had picked up King on thursday so he's starting for me today.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
The greatest thing about all of this is that we have a team that won't accept mediocrity.

agree with all of your post - BUT - this last sentence really say it all.

Give 'em hell today boys.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The one thing is if King comes out and moves the team and we improve the offense the rest of the year, we'll absolutely look back and wish we'd made the move earlier.

Now I'm really screwed, I have Clayton against a beat up SF secondary and Roy Williams against a horrible Minnesota defense, Holt is injured, but I just KNOW that Green is going to feature Fitz today so that people don't attack him for passing on Ben, now that he's benched Josh. I really am tempted to start Fitz now for that reason alone. I had picked up King on thursday so he's starting for me today.

Russ I hope I say this correctly but honestly are you like the poster child of coulda shoulda woulda?

Even a guy like Green thought Josh had potential and not trying to find that out in a reasonable amount of time would have had a cost.

You can say that in the end you were proved right about Josh but you cannot claim that intelligent Knowledgeable people couldn't and didn't have a different opinion.

I never said Josh would make it just that he had all the tools and that isn't something you just trash.

You also couldn't really tell without starting him. Green wanted his shot to mold him and it didn't work out but what we accomplished is weeding out one more legit possiblity so we could move forward.

Some cynics would say that Green just used Josh to draft Fitz. Honestly if you made a bet with me. I'd say that might very well be the reason we even went down the Josh path.

If and that's a big if, that was what Green was doing then I think he outsmarted himself and he should have taken Ben.

All that being said, I am not interested in a coach that always makes the right move because they don't exist. I am just interested in a very good coach that gives us a chance to win it all.

I think Green is the closest thing this franchise has had in the modern era of doing that.

He is not the best possible choice but he is about as good as this franchise could be expected to do.

Red Hawk Old

Veteran
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you don't check the boards. Didn't hear about this until an off the the cuff remark by Mortensen on the ESPN NFL Countdown.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I still would have liked to see McCown the rest of the season beucase he doesnt turn the ball over and that puts a team in a place to win every game.

So King just dont turn the ball over.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Nonsense. Green took Fitzgerald because he had him rated as the number one player in the draft.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jerryp said:
Make it so. :thumbup:
that's insanity. There is a reason Navarre was drafted late on the second day--he has ZERO pocket presence. IF navarre is put in the lineup the way this oline is pass blocking he will be dead within a month.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Nonsense. Green took Fitzgerald because he had him rated as the number one player in the draft.

I think if we had the draft over, Green would STILL pick Fitz over Big Ben.

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
I dont think we can look much past the first half regarding this move let alone next season.Green has already established the platoon system on the O line and this is just a continuation.
I believe its a good move. When the season started expectations were low this was in Joshs favor. Now that the team is performing well expectations for him are rising quickly creating more pressureas has been seen in the last few weeks. I still believe Josh will be our starter again this year this just gives him some time to catch up with game timing and tempo issues.

GBR 40

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WELL THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!! Headin' to the bar now, and this hits me! I hope Shaun rips it today, as we'll need a nice effort from our passing game to win today. Lets go Shaun!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the Shaun King hatred.

Dude played well in Tampa as a young QB...better than Josh has played to date...had a winning record and has only 6 years in the league. Sure, he has specific issues like any QB, but they are by no means something to draw and quarter the guy over.

Denny has taken QBs that are "done" and turned them around.

I think King is going to work out nicely for us. I'm much more confident in Boldin getting his numbers now, and Fitz as well. This offense is too good to look so bad. King will change that.

GO CARDS.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Shaun King experiment failed. Thanks Cardinals for getting my hopes up, and thanks for bringing the "old" team to the game today.

So much for wishful thinking.