McDyess said Suns offer was a slap in his face - demanded release…

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jl-mcdyess061505&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Fitting in again

By Joe Lago, Yahoo! Sports
June 15, 2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Here's the reality for Antonio McDyess: He'll never be the same player after undergoing three knee surgeries in a 19-month span – certainly not the one with Amare-like hops who helped the United States win Olympic gold in 2000 and rose to All-Star status with the Denver Nuggets in 2001.

Here's the consolation for McDyess: He wouldn't be playing in these NBA Finals with the Detroit Pistons if his career hadn't taken such a drastic turn.

It's ironic, but McDyess' preseason injuries – a torn patella tendon in his left knee in October of 2001 with the Nuggets, and a fractured left knee cap in October of 2002 with the New York Knicks – ended his reign with the Garnetts, Duncans and Malones as one of the NBA's elite power forwards. But that misfortune sent him on a comeback trail that now has him playing on basketball's biggest stage, albeit in a reserve role.

"I always kind of look back and say, 'What if I hadn't got hurt?' " McDyess said. "But also, if I hadn't gotten hurt, I wouldn't be in this position. Because I don't think I'd be playing behind Ben [Wallace] and Rasheed [Wallace]. I'd be on another team."

The fear of McDyess being damaged goods kept most teams away from the former No. 2 overall pick during free agency last summer. Pistons general manager Joe Dumars had his doubts like everyone else, but he saw everything he needed to see from the 6-foot-9, 245-pound McDyess during a late-season run in which McDyess averaged 8.7 points and 8.3 rebounds a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

When Mehmet Okur signed with Utah, Dumars offered McDyess a four-year, $24 million contract to be his new backup big man. Being reunited with Chauncey Billups, a former teammate in Denver, and Larry Brown, an assistant for Team USA in 2000, made it a no-brainer for McDyess.

"A lot of people gave up on me," McDyess said. "And he [Dumars] wasn't one of them. He told me when I first came [to Detroit] that I still had it. He believed in me."

"Phoenix wanted me back," he added. "But with what they were offering, it was kind of a slap in the face."

McDyess didn't have much of an appetite for basketball after being shipped to the Suns in January of 2004 as part of Isiah Thomas' shakeup of the Knicks. Told he would be one of the building blocks in New York, McDyess suddenly found himself on the bench in Phoenix. It was one more blow to the ego and another step down in his pursuit of becoming a franchise player again.

A frustrated McDyess told his agent to request his release from the Suns. He even contemplated retirement. "I was at the lowest point of my career," McDyess said.

"It's disappointing when you see a guy like that get injured, especially when the person is a good person," said Robert Horry, who, like McDyess, played his college ball at Alabama. "He's a great guy who's soft spoken and plays hard. I just wanted to see him get better and get healthy."

Unfortunately for Horry and his San Antonio Spurs, they have seen flashes of the old McDyess the last two games. He contributed 15 points and seven rebounds in 24 minutes in the Pistons' 97-76 loss in Game 2, then followed up that effort with a starring role in Detroit's 96-79 rout in Game 3 on Tuesday.

McDyess totaled 12 points, nine rebounds and two blocks in just 19 minutes, shooting a perfect 3-for-3 from the field and pulling down five boards in the fourth quarter. He sank a 20-foot jumper and banked in a 15-footer (after putting an up-and-under move on Nazr Mohammed) to close out an 11-0 run that gave Detroit an 82-69 lead.

"I'm just happy he gave it a second chance," Billups said of McDyess. "I'm even more happy that he gave it a second chance with us because he could have been somewhere else and starting and had a great season. But I think he knew where his career was at. He knows what's most important and that's winning and being part of something special."

"I look at him like another star," Brown said. "With Rasheed and Ben and McDyess, I think we're as deep as any team in the league at the four and five position. Game 2, even though we got beat, gave McDyess got a lot of confidence. I think it carried over [to Game 3]."

McDyess still thinks of himself as a "go-to guy" when he steps on the floor, but he realizes his days of averaging 21 and 12 – as he did with the Nuggets in 2001 – are long gone. The outside jumper is still there, but he admits that he can't run as fast or leap as quickly as he once did.

"Now I just pick and choose my places to shoot – and jump. I know when not to jump," he said. "Maybe I wouldn't have gotten hurt if I was this Antonio."

Through all of the pain, though, this Antonio McDyess finally has something to gain: a ring.

Joe Lago is an NFL and NBA editor at Yahoo! Sports. Send Joe a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

fordronken

Reaction score
He didn't demand a release. His agent suggested it. He got traded to a team submarining and developing young talent. Of course, what he doesn't say anything about is how playing for the Suns is what got him his contract in Detroit. You think Dumars would have offered it if he was sitting on the bench, playing 7 minutes a game behind Voskuhl?

And by the way, no comment about how he bolted for Denver, or how a young team trying to make a splash in free agency would be absolutely stupid to offer a big contract to McDysse.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Hindsight being 20/20, knowing his ability to contribute now, would you:

1. Have matched the 24 million salary detroit is paying?

and

2. Would his bench production been the difference in the Spurs series?

fordronken

Reaction score
nothin' but net said:
Hindsight being 20/20, knowing his ability to contribute now, would you:

1. Have matched the 24 million salary detroit is paying?

and

2. Would his bench production been the difference in the Spurs series?

No. I'd rather have had Q. He wasn't an RFA. There's no way it made any sense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Can we PLEASE stop our love affair with McDyess now? He's a stupid, injury-prone baby with delusions of grandeur, the power forward version of Penny Hardaway. Let Detroit bask in the brilliance of their decision the next time he gets injured.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Can we PLEASE stop our love affair with McDyess now? He's a stupid, injury-prone baby with delusions of grandeur, the power forward version of Penny Hardaway. Let Detroit bask in the brilliance of their decision the next time he gets injured.

Amen, I'm sick of talking about former players that we didn't like all that much while they were here anyway.

OP
OP
se7en

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
fordronken said:
He didn't demand a release. His agent suggested it.

Read the quote again. He TOLD his agent to get him released from the Suns.

[A frustrated McDyess told his agent to request his release from the Suns. He even contemplated retirement. "I was at the lowest point of my career," McDyess said.]

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
se7en said:
fordronken said:
He didn't demand a release. His agent suggested it.

Read the quote again. He TOLD his agent to get him released from the Suns.

[A frustrated McDyess told his agent to request his release from the Suns. He even contemplated retirement. "I was at the lowest point of my career," McDyess said.]

And that was immediately AFTER the trade, not after the season was over. They didn't mention that it was a good thing he DIDN'T get released, because those couple months with us got him his contract with Detroit.

OP
OP
se7en

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And that was immediately AFTER the trade, not after the season was over. They didn't mention that it was a good thing he DIDN'T get released, because those couple months with us got him his contract with Detroit.

That is for sure. Not only that but the Suns medical staff helped him strengthen his knee and possibly extend his career.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Woah there elindholm and chaplin...

I assume I am the one you are referring to with the "love affair". Mine was the only seemingly positive comment. All I did was asked questions. There has been a lot of talk about having a veteran big off the bench to help with defense and rebounding. Out of ignorance on my part, I made a mere suggestion that he could have contributed what we are looking for in that area. I asked questions because I thought the money it would have taken to keep him was excessive considering injuries. Especially after finally unloading Penny and Googs. Also, I agree that he had the "slap in the face" coming to him after he bolted to Denver. Despite all of that, the bench numbers he is producing is EXACTLY what I think the team needs. The questions were to see if others felt, like I did, that his baggage and potential for injury were valid reasons to let him go. By your responses, I will take that as a resounding yes.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow. He thinks it was a slap in the face that the Suns did not give him a bigger offer. Does he think it was a slap in the face when he bolted from the Suns who traded First Round picks to rent him for a year or so.

The second time he was here, his role was the following:

Expiring contract

I probably won't feel too bad the next time he blows his knee out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I assume I am the one you are referring to with the "love affair". Mine was the only seemingly positive comment. All I did was asked questions.

No, I was just talking in general. Over the years, there has been a lot of infatuation with McDyess on this board. You're far from the only one to "question" whether the Suns would have been better off keeping him -- other posters have been openly lamenting his departure, over and over ad nauseam.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
se7en said:
That is for sure. Not only that but the Suns medical staff helped him strengthen his knee and possibly extend his career.

Dice even admitted that fact as well.

My view on Detroits signing hasnt changed. Looks good now, might help them win another title. Will be bad in 3 years. Overall it was worth it to them because like I said - he was the final piece for another run.

It would not have made sense for the Suns because Dice wouldn't have been the final piece for them. They would have relied to much on his game.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
They guy can't hardly jump and is nothing more than a jump shooter now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Amen, I'm sick of talking about former players that we didn't like all that much while they were here anyway.

i always liked mcdyess. it was too bad when he bolted from us the first time. he got duped. not saying he's a smart man. but dude could play. and i'm sure we low-balled him. we weren't that intent on keeping him.

he might've made a big difference in the spurs series. might have.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
They guy can't hardly jump and is nothing more than a jump shooter now.

he rebounds and is a fairly decent big man defender too. he's just no the explosive dice that we knew.

despite thinking he could help us, i wouldn't have offered him anywhere near the deal he got with detroit. and i don't begrudge him taking that deal either.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
The guy burned the Suns for more money on the Denver situation. At the time, the Suns were a far better team then Denver. So he can't say that he did it for championship goals. He did it for the money and to be close to his boyfriend VanExcel.

Phoenix gives the guy another shot as a back-up role player-which he states that the medical staff has given him basketball life again.

If he wants to cry about Phoenix not offering him enough money (a slap in the face), well let him. There's no way the guy could keep up with how this team was put together. They probably offered him a minimal amount due to the low services needed from him.

Mcdyess can F-off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
The guy burned the Suns for more money on the Denver situation. At the time, the Suns were a far better team then Denver. So he can't say that he did it for championship goals. He did it for the money and to be close to his boyfriend VanExcel.

uh - he signed for LESS money to be with the Nuggets - the guy is an idiot - that's for sure - but he wasn't a greedy idiot.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Antonio McDyess should be thanking God he got traded to the Phoenix Suns. Not only did they fix him by shutting him down and working with his knees, but they gave him a ton of playing time at the end of the year. It cost them at least a couple spots in the draft as well. Calling their offer a slap in the face makes it sound like he had done something to earn the good things this organization did for him.

Antonio McDyess would have probably helped the Phoenix Suns if we could add him to the current roster. That's not how it works though. He would have had to replace Q. That might have worked well against San Antonio and maybe even Dallas in the playoffs, but during the regular season I doubt it.

He also still has three years left to stay healthy. I have a hard time believing that's going to happen. So did the Phoenix Suns.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really hoping the Suns could find a way to re-sign him, but when I heard how much he got from Detroit my reaction was "no way". He got about twice as much as I would have offered and I wanted him more than most people.

There are some other issues involved. Dice left a bad team to join a team that just won the championship. Even if the money had not been so out of line, it was obviously an attractive team to join. At the same time, if he had known the Suns would win 62 games this season, he might have been more interested in the Suns.

Ironically, you'd have to wonder if the Suns might not have done more to clear extra cap space to keep him if they'd known how well they'd do. At the start of the season, the emphasis was on developing their young players to become a contender in a few years. Who'd have thunk that the future would be now.

In any case, the Suns decision to go for a small, athletic, and HEALTHY lineup proved very successful and we didn't have to spend the season worrying about Dice's health all the time.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Typical McDyess. :lol:

McDyess has never left a team on good terms, in his own head at least. He'll develop a persecution complex about the Pistons in a year or two.

He's like a quieter, dumber version of Penny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan