McNabb: Too late for an apology from Limbaugh

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
OK I'm stumped. Sorry, but I can't figure out your long-winded explanation here. Do you have a point that could be explained in english in one or two sentences please?

Don't worry about it Rivercard, just continue to vote democrat, they will take care of you.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
A French right-winger? What's the world coming to?

This is the one insult that actually hurt. Ouch, I hadn't thought of that while I was typing. Definatly not a Frenchie.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: first we had....

Originally posted by andikrist
...Dennis Miller on MNF spouting literary non-sequiters, now we have Rush spouting rightwing politics - both cases of out of place content for a SPORTS show...

Now this I agree with. Way to go andi.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
LOL, and he's certainly not French. Oh is not French, it's English. He doesn't know any better so he's just spelling it phoenetically in English. Definitely a faux Frenchie here, and not the brightest bulb in the bin either. :doi:

Tango, my god! You ignorant little ******. Ooops I take that back I don't want to insult the handicap. Manny appologies.

Tango, you little gaped tooth little ************. At least I didn't post a picture of myself humping a deer.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Tango:

He was obviously trying--and failing--to say au contraire. Really spoils the desired effect of wordly sophistication, doesn't it?

WC

Yes WC, you got it. You and Tango are the smartest people on earth because you can use a dictionary. Well at least your not monkeys.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
The only thing that Limbaugh did that was out-of-line was to inject politics into a sports show.

He has since resigned.

I can't comment on his performances on NFL Sunday Countdown since I haven't watched a pre-game show in about three years.

Last edited:

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by RugbyMuffin
Sometimes Rush is right?

Well I guess if you do nothing but eat and talk out of your @ss all day you MUST trip upon the truth eventually.

BTW - F you! I don't agree or WILL NEVER agree with what Rush said. Religion/Racisim is the center of all mankinds problems. If you ever take skin color into account on anything then you are a F'N moron, and should be shot in the head!!! Yes, in the head. The less racist, and religious pyshopaths in this world the more peacefull it will become.

:rolleyes:

Religion has nothing to do with it. Racisim probably does, I agree. But Rush didn't say anything even remotely racist. You extrapolated that and made the ASSumtion that he is. You are wrong and way out of line. I now hope you get run over by a truck. No I don't not really but I do hope you grow up.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Jason:

You're missing the point. It's irrelevant whether Limbaugh "thinks McNabb sucks," or not. It's his generalization about the media wanting "a black quarterback (to) do well" that smacks of racism. It'd be just as racist, in reverse, to claim that Wayne Chrebet has been overrated as a WR, or Jason Sehorn as a DB, solely because the media wanted a white player to "do well" at those positions.

Aside and apart from the racist angle, Limbaugh's comment was simply ignorant. "Black quarterback(s)" have been successful in the NFL for years, and currently start for approximately one-fourth of the teams in the league.

I think ESPN ought to seriously rethink their relationship with Limbaugh. Better men than him have lost jobs over comments less offensive--and less stupid--than his.

WC

Lets see if I understand this. You are saying the mere fact that Rush acknoleged the existance of another race - makes him a racist. You may be able to spell but thinking seems to be a challenge for you. Thats ok keep trying.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It doesn't sound to me like Berman is distancing himself from it at all. And the NFL statements to me sound exactly like they should. Why would they comment on an ESPN employee's opinions?

How is an estimation of value ("overrated") anything but opinion? It clearly can't be conveyed as undisputed fact.

Surely then Rush should have had the courage of his convictions to stand in then amd take some heat.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right or wrong, maybe ESPN asked him to resign? I don't know and really don't care why he's resigning.

I've found myself in an uncomfortable position on this issue--defending Rush. That's not my intent--I was defending the man's statement; not the man.

I still say his comments were neither racist nor were they intended to say McNabb in not a good QB. If the guy doesn't want to continue to work at ESPN or if ESPN doesn't want him to work there, that's beside the point.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rush has no clue what he is talking about.
I agree with the above comment and that by Cards Ken.

Putting the issue of race aside for a moment -

- Limbaugh's head is more into politics than football, and he injected a very contoversial political issue into a football show.

- Limbaugh knows less football than (there! I've said it!) anybody who posts on this board. (I'd love to have Donavon McNabb quarterbacking the Cardinals. He may be struggling a bit now, but he's a big, mobile, athletic QB with his best days still in front of him.).

For those two reasons, I don't think Limbaugh should have been the #3 guy on MNF.

I don't agree with most of Mr. Limbaugh's views, but that doesn't mean I feel he should be banned from the airways (Remember the quote about "fight to the death for your right to say it?") But when his talk show comes on in the afternoon, I can always turn it off or change to a different station.

But I don't want the dude to make it unpleasant for me to watch football programming on ESPN or ABC.

(Incidentally - I haven't liked any of the #3 announcers on MNF since Alex Karras left, so this isn't mainly a political deal for me. I just feel he's the wrong dude).

Doppleganger - You have a right to your political views and your unabashed love for Rush Limbaugh. Listen to his daily political talk show to your hearts' content.

But your attempt to read into our comments some sort of "liberal bias" is no better than other people automatically screaming "racist!" for what Limbaugh said.

Isn't it just a wee bit possible that - because he's not qualified to be a football commentator - Rush Limbaugh should go back to his "day job?"

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
beautiful

I heard SPORTS DUDE on pm radio, NOT a political guy, a guy who's never heard Limbaugh before, who only knows of him as a "conservative radio host". He was talking to a caller - "If that's conservative, that's scary". The caller responded -"That's why people need to register and vote - the right wing, the old people - they VOTE!" If the blue collar workingman/sports fan can become a little bit aware, maybe start voting - the tide can be turned.
I love it....

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
which is?

Rush Limbaugh in pill probe

Thu Oct 2, 2003
By TRACY CONNOR
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Talk-radio titan Rush Limbaugh is being investigated for allegedly buying thousands of addictive painkillers from a black-market drug ring.

The moralizing motormouth was turned in by his former housekeeper - who says she was Limbaugh's pill supplier for four years.

Wilma Cline, 42, says Limbaugh was hooked on the potent prescription drugs OxyContin, Lorcet and hydrocodone - and went through detox twice.

"There were times when I worried," Cline told the National Enquirer, which broke the story in an edition being published today. "All these pills are enough to kill an elephant - never mind a man."

Cline could not be reached for further comment yesterday, but her lawyer, Ed Shohat of Miami, said his client "stands behind the story."

The Daily News independently confirmed that Limbaugh is under investigation.

His lawyers, Jerry Fox and Dan Zachary, refused to comment on the accusations and said any "medical information" about him was private and not newsworthy.

They said Limbaugh - who has a top-rated syndicated radio show but resigned early today from a weekly ESPN football segment amid criticism of racial comments about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb - was traveling and had no comment.

The Palm Beach County state attorney's office, which is running the probe, said it could not confirm or deny the allegations.

Scoring in parking lot

Cline told the Enquirer she went to prosecutors with information about Limbaugh and others after four years of drug deals that included clandestine handoffs in a Denny's parking lot.

She said she wore a wire during her last two deliveries to the conservative commentator and gave the tapes to authorities.

She also gave the Enquirer a ledger documenting how many pills she claimed to have bought for him - 4,350 in one 47-day period - and E-mails she claimed Limbaugh sent her.

In one missive, Limbaugh pushed Cline to get more "little blues" - code for OxyContin, the powerful narcotic nicknamed hillbilly heroin, she said.

"You know how this stuff works ... the more you get used to, the more it takes," the May 2002 E-mail reads. "But I will try and cut down to help out."

The account Cline gave the Enquirer is that she became Limbaugh's drug connection in 1998, nine months after taking a housekeeping job at his Palm Beach mansion.

It started after her husband, David, hurt himself in a fall, and Limbaugh asked how he was.

"He asked me casually, 'Is he getting any pain medication?' I said, 'Yes - he's had surgery, and the doctor gave him hydro-codone 750,'" Cline said. "To my astonishment, he said, 'Can you spare a couple of them?'"

Husband's pills

Cline said she gave Limbaugh 10 pills the next day and agreed to give him 30 of her husband's pills each month. When the doctor stopped renewing the prescription in early 1999, Limbaugh allegedly went ballistic.

"His tone was nasty and bullying. He said, 'I don't care how or what you do, but you'd better - better! - get me some more,'" Cline said.

The housekeeper said she found a new supplier and arranged to hide Limbaugh's stashes under his mattress so his wife, Marta, wouldn't find them.

After several months, Limbaugh told her he was going to New York for detox and didn't need any more pills, Cline said.

But a month later, he said his left ear was hurting and asked her for hydrocodone, followed by an order for OxyContin.

Limbaugh, 52, suffered from autoimmune ear disease, a condition that left him deaf and had to be corrected with cochlear implant surgery two years ago.

Cline said she continued to make deliveries to Limbaugh even after she quit as his housekeeper in July 2001 - but he became increasingly paranoid, even patting her down for recording devices, she said.

In June 2002, Limbaugh told her he was going to New York for detox a second time.

After he returned, "I went to talk to him, and he cried a little bit," she said. "He told me that if it ever got out, he would be ruined."

She claimed that a lawyer for Limbaugh gave her a payoff - $80,000 he owed her, plus another $120,000 - and asked her to destroy the computer that contained the E-mail records.

Soon after, Cline and her husband retained Shohat and contacted prosecutors.

Feeling no pain

The drugs Rush Limbaugh is accused of abusing are legal only with a doctor's prescription. All are habit-forming.

- Hydrocodone

Anti-cough agent and painkiller similar to morphine. Side effects include anxiety, poor mental performance, emotional dependence, drowsiness, mood changes, difficulty breathing and itchiness.

- Lorcet

Brand name for the combination of Tylenol and hydrocodone, prescribed for moderate to severe pain. Side effects include dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, dizziness, tiredness, muscle twitches, sweating and itching.

- OxyContin

Potent time-release medication for relief of moderate to severe pain, known as hillbilly heroin because of black-market popularity in some rural areas. Side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, sweating, muscle twitches and decreased sex drive. A large dose can be fatal. Originally published on October 2, 2003

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kr/20031002/lo_krnewyork/rushlimbaughinpillprobe

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
He voted for Carter back in 1980!

Ha! LOL!

That pill stuff is crazy.

"Enough to kill an elephant..." Rush better start putting the weight back on.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Oh please! Does anyone buy this?

Originally posted by WizardOfAz
"There were times when I worried," Cline told the National Enquirer, which broke the story in an edition being published today. "All these pills are enough to kill an elephant - never mind a man."

Cline could not be reached for further comment yesterday, but her lawyer, Ed Shohat of Miami, said his client "stands behind the story."

She also gave the Enquirer a ledger documenting how many pills she claimed to have bought for him - 4,350 in one 47-day period - and E-mails she claimed Limbaugh sent her.

The National Enquirer?!?!??

No dig on you Wiz.:)

It's just whenever someone "breaks" a story in that toilet-paper-tabloid I can guarentee you that they got paid, and it's embellished!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geesh!

Just read everyone's comment and thought I'd throw mine into the mix.

I don't find McNabb particularly overrated. He is a good quarterback who, like Jeff said, is struggling right now. I'd be happy to have him on the Cardinals. (Did I just said that out loud?)

I can't speak to the national media, but I can tell you that the Philly media wants this guy to succeed, not because he is black and we need a world where there is a super-duper black quarterback, but because Philly wants a freaking championship. It's dry out here in the Philly suburbs, folks. Very, very dry (thanks a lot for breaking my heart AGAIN Phillies!).

Rush saying McNabb is overrated is fine. It's the reason he gave for McNabb being overrated that was the problem.

Football is football. Politics is politics. I propose a separation of football and state.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still say his comments were neither racist nor were they intended to say McNabb is not a good QB.

What he said is McNabb is a good quarterback who was labeled as great only because of his skin color.

You agree with that?

I don't.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
What he said is McNabb is a good quarterback who was labeled as great only because of his skin color.

You agree with that?

I don't.

I don't agree with the comment, but I also don't think it's racist, and I would (and am) defend ANYONE's right to say it.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I don't agree with the comment, but I also don't think it's racist, and I would (and am) defend ANYONE's right to say it.

I with you Pariah.

I am a casual fan of Rush's radio show. I think he was wrong in his analysis and he was stupid to say what he did on the NFL program.

But I think it is a horrible "invasion of the thought police" to cause such a stir as to make him resign over it.

It was a stupid thing to say, let's call it that and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05