MHJ

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Jeff Blake at QB.

Granted, nobody expects a crazy performance like Boldin in week 1, but certainly 1 catch for 4 yards seemed even more improbable.
His dad can forever hold it over him that he did much better in his NFL debut - against the Cardinals.

Marvin Harrison, Sr. made his NFL debut in Week 1 of the 1996 NFL season against the Arizona Cardinals with six receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown reception from quarterback Jim Harbaugh in the 20–13 victory.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His dad can forever hold it over him that he did much better in his NFL debut - against the Cardinals.

Marvin Harrison, Sr. made his NFL debut in Week 1 of the 1996 NFL season against the Arizona Cardinals with six receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown reception from quarterback Jim Harbaugh in the 20–13 victory.
I’m pretty sure dad played a bit in the 4 preseason games.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's every Marv route from Sunday.

My thoughts.

I don't think Marv played well. He didn't look fast and I didn't think he looked crisp in his breaks. There are some routes that I think are option routes (hard to tell) where he runs the wrong choice. When he is open it's more the route / play design or poor defence than Marv separating.

Also I don't like the routes he was asked to run. A lot of long developing routes that are unlikely to have the time. A lot of routes where he is obviously just clearing out his man for someone else.

Overall not great. Oh and he was open like 6 times on that busted play at the end.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score

My thoughts.

I don't think Marv played well. He didn't look fast and I didn't think he looked crisp in his breaks. There are some routes that I think are option routes (hard to tell) where he runs the wrong choice. When he is open it's more the route / play design or poor defence than Marv separating.

Also I don't like the routes he was asked to run. A lot of long developing routes that are unlikely to have the time. A lot of routes where he is obviously just clearing out his man for someone else.

Overall not great. Oh and he was open like 6 times on that busted play at the end.

Going back and watching his performance he looked far from a generational talent. Several other rookie receivers look more explosive and polished in week 1. I do also think they did him no favors with the routes they had him running and the lack of preparation in the pre season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it possible that MHJ is not in tip-top shape? Idk, dude looked legit sluggish a majority of those routes.
It might be a situation where he added bulk in anticipation of the physicality of the pro game and lost a little speed as a result. He probably will lean down if that is the case.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is it possible that MHJ is not in tip-top shape? Idk, dude looked legit sluggish a majority of those routes.

I don't see how. He skipped the combine and all the prep specifically so he could be in tip top game shape week 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Holy crap, and some of these routes are long routes where he should be getting up to speed.

I'm not concerned that this is how fast he is, teams have GPS tracking and he hit 21.7mph last season apparently. They know how fast he accelerates and max speeds from that.

But it's odd how he was so slow in this game. The only thing I can think if that on a lot of these longer routes he knew that he wasn't getting the ball due to the weather, or because the play was designed for him to clear out the CB for someone else. The CB is going to track you whether you run 16 or 21.

Still odd though, and I'm disappointed in the team for the way they used him. You owe a duty to you star WR and #1 overall pick to showcase him in game 1. This is a game he grew up dreaming about, and he didn't dream of 4 yards and running clearout routes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It might be a situation where he added bulk in anticipation of the physicality of the pro game and lost a little speed as a result. He probably will lean down if that is the case.

He'd have to add about 100lbs to go from 21.7mph to 16 ;)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i

My thoughts.

Off Topic from MHJr

At the 1:35 mark Jonah goes down with the knee injury. It didn't look good to me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky