Michael Floyd

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Still unimpressed with Floyd, save for his catch vs. Phi and his pancake of DRC.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Blackmon isn't doing any better. Its tough being a rookie WR in the NFL.

However, Blackmon doesn't have Larry Fitzgerald on the other side drawing double coverage.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
However, Blackmon doesn't have Larry Fitzgerald on the other side drawing double coverage.
But Blackmon was being counted on to be their #1 or 2 option. Floyd started out as #4. Seeing how Cecil Shorts has emerged is a bad sign for Blackmon but it's still way to early to pass judgement on him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But Blackmon was being counted on to be their #1 or 2 option. Floyd started out as #4. Seeing how Cecil Shorts has emerged is a bad sign for Blackmon but it's still way to early to pass judgement on him.

What Blackmon was supposed to be doesn't matter in this context. He doesn't have anyone pulling coverage away from him like Floyd does with Fitz.

Cecil Shorts is likely emerging because Blackmon is pulling coverage away from him. Look how Kendall Wright is doing at Tenn with Nate Washington on the other side.

Also since Gabbert and Blackmon were on rival teams in college Gabbert won't throw to him. :D

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Justin Blackmon half-assed it in college and is doing the same in the pros, but the talent in the NFL just prevents him from being successful while doing so. Too early to call him a bust, but I have always thought Justin Blackmon had Anquan Boldin skills AT BEST, but obviously does not have the chip on his shoulder that Boldin did/does.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
i would have liked more -- but WRs just dont come in as rookies, usually, and light it up

even Fitz's rookie year was 58 recpts, 780 yards and 8 tds --- with Boldin on the other side of him and an offense a bit more settled ( yes -- McCown at Qb. that team did score more than 30 points 5 times that season, 23 points or more five other times)

What appeared to me to be his strength coming out of ND was his ability to make tough catches in traffic / jump balls. Until that long one last week -- he looked lost on balls like that. Maybe last week was a breakthrough.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not killing you on Ryan Williams. I'm killing Krang, one of the most sanctimonious posters on the board to insisted that Ryan Williams was going to be the best RB to come out of this draft class, even after he only averaged 4.2 YPC his junior year in a gimmick run offense at VaTech and ran away from the program because he didn't want to compete/share carries with the guy coming up behind him (Call it the J.J. Arrington strategy for career management).

I think we can all admit now that Ryan Williams, the 38th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, is probably no better than the 5th or 6th running back to come out in his class (DeMarco Murray and Stevan Ridley are clearly better, and I'll wager that three or four of Mikel Leshoure, Alex Green, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter, Jacquizz Rodgers, and Daniel Thomas will end up being better than him as well).

<SIGH>

Do I have to dig out your comments about Roy Williams being so much better than Larry Fitzgerald or how terrible Daryl Washington was going to be? The point is, everyone makes mistakes evaluating players.

With Ryan Williams, his primary issue has been injuries. He still has way too small a sample size to damn him on his play, as every Cardinals RB was terrible during the first 5 or 6 games.

I'm hoping to see the team not plan around Ryan Williams being a featured part of the offense, and ready to move on from him if need be. That happens in the NFL all the time with even 2nd round picks. I like Chopper's idea of bringing in Chris Ivory; Wells, Ivory, (Williams), and LSH is a solid RB platoon, though I'm definitely souring completely on Beanie too, guy can't stay healthy and isn't an upper tier RB when healthy.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess my big issue is, does he practice or not?

He's a rookie and they often look lost but for limited time the penalties and the drops are surprising but the total lack of where he's supposed to be and go is alarming. either Kolb is wrong every time, or he keeps breaking off or changing routes on timing patterns.

The near picksix on the goalline where he got the penalty, clearly Kolb thought was going to stop and threw it. The way he pushed it looked like that was the play, but then he took off and the ball nearly went the other way. I guess I don't know for sure but I really think that was supposed to be basically the same play we ran to Fitz on 4th down but Floyd changed his route.

VERY unpolished player so far.

Does have obvious size and some talent but man he comes off as completely unaware.

What bugged me last night is his increased PT seemed to come at the expense of Housler who was MUCH more effective.

I do not think he has played enough to know what he is.

With a QB a few good hits in the draft and sign a couple of good starting type FA we could be respectable next year. That is just a passing thought. Probably all it is.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think he has played enough to know what he is.

With a QB a few good hits in the draft and sign a couple of good starting type FA we could be respectable next year. That is just a passing thought. Probably all it is.

Well he's come on the last 2 weeks adn I'm at the point of we drafted him that high he should be playing. He's getting a little better separation and he seems to know where to lineup now.

I still would have picked an OL myself, but too late for that and he's starting to contribute now so I hope he continues to get more PT.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Do I have to dig out your comments about Roy Williams being so much better than Larry Fitzgerald or how terrible Daryl Washington was going to be? The point is, everyone makes mistakes evaluating players.

True. I can get a post of yours about how Bryant Johnson was going to be a better WR than Anquan Boldin.

All I have to do is write that a player is going to be very good and he's injured the next game or out of the NFL 6 months later. :bang:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well he's come on the last 2 weeks adn I'm at the point of we drafted him that high he should be playing. He's getting a little better separation and he seems to know where to lineup now.

I still would have picked an OL myself, but too late for that and he's starting to contribute now so I hope he continues to get more PT.

Here is the rub though:

IF Floyd becomes a really good #2, but Reiff and to a lesser extent never become very good, then taking a lineman just because you need a lineman is pure folly and SOC.

The real issue is not drafting Floyd with our first rounder, it was NOT using significant draft capital on OL outside of drafting Levi Brown. I mean we haven't even used 3rd or 4th rounders on OL, the only lineman we've drafted were like 6th or 7th rounders.

What I hope is that over the last part of the season is that Potter becomes a decent starter and we don't have to worry about tackle except drafting a swing backup.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What Blackmon was supposed to be doesn't matter in this context. He doesn't have anyone pulling coverage away from him like Floyd does with Fitz.

Cecil Shorts is likely emerging because Blackmon is pulling coverage away from him. Look how Kendall Wright is doing at Tenn with Nate Washington on the other side.

Also since Gabbert and Blackmon were on rival teams in college Gabbert won't throw to him. :D

It does not matter if Fitz is pulling double coverage when our QB 1) Makes it a point to still look Fitz's way first or rather the whole world is screaming get Fitz the ball, then he does not look past the second option which is Roberts 2) Floyd has not played enough to be a option with good numbers with the way they use him or regard his importance

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why did you make me read that? That would make little baby Jesus cry.

Did Freddie Jones set records?

LOL very painful part of our history.

Go back and read some of the predictions back then....wow 95% were wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the rub though:

IF Floyd becomes a really good #2, but Reiff and to a lesser extent never become very good, then taking a lineman just because you need a lineman is pure folly and SOC.

The real issue is not drafting Floyd with our first rounder, it was NOT using significant draft capital on OL outside of drafting Levi Brown. I mean we haven't even used 3rd or 4th rounders on OL, the only lineman we've drafted were like 6th or 7th rounders.

What I hope is that over the last part of the season is that Potter becomes a decent starter and we don't have to worry about tackle except drafting a swing backup.

Sure but I didn't particularly like Floyd to begin with because he's not fast, then when I found out the BAC on his DUI I was amazed we picked him.

I would have picked DeCastro, I know he's hurt but that was not knowable at that time.

But since we picked Floyd, he needs to play more now, don't know how that works with Doucet they don't really play the same position but he needs to play more now.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It does not matter if Fitz is pulling double coverage when our QB 1) Makes it a point to still look Fitz's way first or rather the whole world is screaming get Fitz the ball, then he does not look past the second option which is Roberts 2) Floyd has not played enough to be a option with good numbers with the way they use him or regard his importance

The only thing our QBs see after looking at the first option is a Defensive Lineman or two or three lying on top of them.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have to agree that our QBs suck at going through their progressions, regardless of pass protection.

How often this year has Kolb or Skelton made a short pass and the commentators mention how Larry was wide open on the other side of the field with single coverage.

Ive seen several times where the QBs (both) dont even look Larrys way at all. Its like theyve already decided where they are throwing it no matter what.

What they should do is make the decision to throw it at Larry no matter what, with the exception being hes double covered.

single coverage, should go to Larry EVERYTIME. If it gets picked, then its OK.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The only thing our QBs see after looking at the first option is a Defensive Lineman or two or three lying on top of them.

Oh quiet, I'm trying to be difficult and unforgiving and there you go applying the truth...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :)

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I have to agree that our QBs suck at going through their progressions, regardless of pass protection.

How often this year has Kolb or Skelton made a short pass and the commentators mention how Larry was wide open on the other side of the field with single coverage.

Ive seen several times where the QBs (both) dont even look Larrys way at all. Its like theyve already decided where they are throwing it no matter what.

What they should do is make the decision to throw it at Larry no matter what, with the exception being hes double covered.

single coverage, should go to Larry EVERYTIME. If it gets picked, then its OK.

Which can often be proven by our QB looking straight at the WR he intends to throw the ball to, right after the snap and then after he is clobbered in the backfield. I'm really shocked we have not thrown more picks this year with the way our QBs do that but Skelton is far worse than Kolb at this and still with his inaccuracy and eye give aways, it is unreal he has not had a slew of 3-5 interception games already

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Which can often be proven by our QB looking straight at the WR he intends to throw the ball to, right after the snap and then after he is clobbered in the backfield. I'm really shocked we have not thrown more picks this year with the way our QBs do that but Skelton is far worse than Kolb at this and still with his inaccuracy and eye give aways, it is unreal he has not had a slew of 3-5 interception games already

As I've said before our QBs don't have time to go through any progressions and we don't even know if the Cards have any. What I've seen on replay doesn't indicate routes are being run that are conducive to progression style passing. What I see is it looks like the QB is supposed to read the defense pre snap and choose a target based on that. I really think that is what the better QBs do well.

Of course it could be that the QBs and Oline are so bad the coaches have them under orders to throw to the primary receiver or dump it off no matter what.

To see how hard it is to read progressions stand out in front of your house and try to look from one side to the other focusing on at least 3 objects, one mid level, one near your roof and one near the slab, as you move across in less than 2 to 2.5 seconds.

Oh yeah make sure you have someone there waving their arms in front of you and then knock you to the ground as soon as the 2 seconds are up. :D

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Jesse Jackson says: How can you go through progressions when your tackles are turnstile concessions?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here is the rub though:

To be fair, when you go back through the drafts since Levi, it's difficult to say that we passed on a better offensive lineman than the guy that we ended up getting. Even robo-bust Cody Brown wasn't picked ahead of a bunch of impact offensive linemen.

BPA cuts both ways as a draft philosophy. You're going to draft a lot of skill position players, because NCAA football has better skill position players than offensive linemen. You have to tweak your philosophy in a way that you've said in the past in unacceptable and take an imperfect lineman head of a more perfect running back, or corner, or linebacker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser