Michael Floyd

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I understand what you are saying and do not disagree with the premise. I would love to have better tackles right now. All I'm saying, based on the draft board, the team did not think any of the OL was worth a first round pick where they stood and we did not have a second round pick. I'm sure they looked at possibilities of trading down but it takes two to tango.

I honestly don't think they did I think they decided in the week before the draft that they were going to take Floyd and locked in on him.

Seems like he was the only name we were hearing that last week.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Floyd is the least of our problems.

Exactly, the problem is the most of our problems is the position we ignored when we took Floyd.

Which is the premise of the whole thread.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Makes the 5-0 start this year even more incredible when they lost their only offense.

He was a very good college player, I think he'll eventually be a good pro player. I just think when OL is such a glaring problem on this team it's a shame that the guy we picked in lieu of OL, is making such minimal impact so far.

He'll eventually come around, of course we may be down to Lindley by the time he learns the plays and how to line up. We already lost one QB and it's a surprise Kolb isn't out too.

I agree with thought we should have taken an ol. But after the pick was made, I didn't think it was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol... this has to be one of the lamest "smackdowns" i've ever seen here.

Wasnt a smackdown, was a Tellin'

Sorry, neither Reiff nor DeCastro were worth #13 pick and it would have been a reach. It's not that the team did not know they need a tackle. They go by their draft board. Whether Floyd works out or not, we will see. The speed WR was the desire of some on this message board. I don't remember the team ever saying they need a speed guy as #2.

I didnt like the speed WR idea.

and we can see why now. You think itd even matter if we had a guy who could get downfield with this Oline? Hed only get 5 steps off the line before the sack came.

Not to mention Kolbs proved an inability to accuratley hit guys deep.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Really??? 100% wrong??? Ok, Mr. "know it all"...

And I say YOU are 100% wrong.

BTW, all posts are "IMO" on message boards unless copy and pasted from some other place... Just so that you know how message boards work.

Okay, for starters, I clearly made mine an opinion while you didn't, so I'm certainly not the 'Mr. Know-It-All' of the two of us. Next, you didn't qualify yours as merely an opinion, and lots of goobers on here state their opinions as fact, so I thought you were trying to give an absolute. Again, you aren't stating an opinion--you're SAYING I'm 100 percent wrong. In actual, proper English, you are stating a fact, which is definitely not a fact. I THINK you're 100 percent wrong, and thus am only stating an opinion.

It's cool. You just didn't know how to apply the proper English, and so I misunderstood your intent. We disagree, and neither one of us are trying to assert our opinions as fact. No problemo.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess my big issue is, does he practice or not?

He's a rookie and they often look lost but for limited time the penalties and the drops are surprising but the total lack of where he's supposed to be and go is alarming. either Kolb is wrong every time, or he keeps breaking off or changing routes on timing patterns.

The near picksix on the goalline where he got the penalty, clearly Kolb thought was going to stop and threw it. The way he pushed it looked like that was the play, but then he took off and the ball nearly went the other way. I guess I don't know for sure but I really think that was supposed to be basically the same play we ran to Fitz on 4th down but Floyd changed his route.

VERY unpolished player so far.

Does have obvious size and some talent but man he comes off as completely unaware.

What bugged me last night is his increased PT seemed to come at the expense of Housler who was MUCH more effective.

He sure has not lived up to his pick slot to say the least. Might have been a good slot for a OT? How could things that looked so good a week ago have gone south so fast? Oh welll the life of a Cards fan. SF does look like a Superbowl contender to me. I see two losses coming up against them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Floyd is a typical first round WR, not too productive.

Just like those who instantly panned DWash and Andre Roberts, give him some time. When building a team, you don't always see immediate results. Expect Floyd to step in slowly, considering the fact that he's like the 4th or 5th target on the team.

I continue to pan on this and it's still an issue, but this team just doesn't draft enough offensive line talent. But I still think Floyd at his max is promising than Reilly Rieff or David Decastro at their max.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The draft board is BPA and the staff felt Floyd was the best player at the position within the several needs.

Agreed.

...and that is what is so concerning.

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just like those who instantly panned DWash and Andre Roberts, give him some time. When building a team, you don't always see immediate results. Expect Floyd to step in slowly, considering the fact that he's like the 4th or 5th target on the team.

I continue to pan on this and it's still an issue, but this team just doesn't draft enough offensive line talent. But I still think Floyd at his max is promising than Reilly Rieff or David Decastro at their max.

the counter is without an OL you can't get the max out of any of the skill position guys.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

People also instantly panned Cody Brown and Bryant Johnson. Gave them some time and how'd those work out?

If Floyd wants some respect from the fans he needs to step up and earn it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
People also instantly panned Cody Brown and Bryant Johnson. Gave them some time and how'd those work out?

If Floyd wants some respect from the fans he needs to step up and earn it.

It's always easier to take the negative approach: "The Cards suck" or "So and So is going to be a bust". We have several posters on this board that always just take the negative approach and are always "right".

It's harder to take a patient approach or to go out on a limb now and again.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always easier to take the negative approach: "The Cards suck" or "So and So is going to be a bust". We have several posters on this board that always just take the negative approach and are always "right".

OK and I am often wrong on WR's, but almost always I praise kids that wind up not being good.

I'm not saying Floyd is going to be a bust, he won't, I'm saying he won't help our OL and that's the weakest part of this offense, and that isn't just because we lost Levi in the preseason it was a huge issue pre draft too. The 2 big questions were QB and OL, we weren't in a position to get a QB, we passed on OL's.

People say it takes 2 to move down, doesn't that sort of imply there might not have been much interest in moving UP for Floyd?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Well we are talking about the Cardinals, right? They've made a habit of proving the negative approach to be the correct one. 3 winning seasons in 25 years will do that to fans.

Of course I have to be negative all the time because I'll jinx them otherwise.
See Beanie Wells and John Skelton. :( :D

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess my big issue is, does he practice or not?

He's a rookie and they often look lost but for limited time the penalties and the drops are surprising but the total lack of where he's supposed to be and go is alarming. either Kolb is wrong every time, or he keeps breaking off or changing routes on timing patterns.

The near picksix on the goalline where he got the penalty, clearly Kolb thought was going to stop and threw it. The way he pushed it looked like that was the play, but then he took off and the ball nearly went the other way. I guess I don't know for sure but I really think that was supposed to be basically the same play we ran to Fitz on 4th down but Floyd changed his route.

VERY unpolished player so far.

Does have obvious size and some talent but man he comes off as completely unaware.

What bugged me last night is his increased PT seemed to come at the expense of Housler who was MUCH more effective.

His hands do not look that great to me. So far, for a first round pick he has looked very bad. I am afraid to look at he players we passed over to pick him. There is still plenty of time for him to become what we hoped he was so I do not want to jump the gun. He has already banked his signing bonus so for better or worse he is ours. He probably already had made more than most of us will make in a lifetime and he has only played in 5 games. Not bad.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not saying Floyd will or wont be good, but you dont draft an o-lineman in the 1st just because you desperately need an o-lineman. The last time the Cards made a similar decision they ended up reaching for a monumental bust in Levi Brown.

Even everyone's "cant miss" o-line player who was in our draft range (DeCastro) is "missing" the entire season.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying Floyd will or wont be good, but you dont draft an o-lineman in the 1st just because you desperately need an o-lineman. The last time the Cards made a similar decision they ended up reaching for a monumental bust in Levi Brown.

Even everyone's "cant miss" o-line player who was in our draft range (DeCastro) is "missing" the entire season.

True but many of us who wanted DeCastro were saying if the Cards think it's too high up, move down. As i said the other day, if Floyd is as good as we apparently think he is, there should have been demand from other teams to come up and get him.

Elite OT's go in the top 10 picks these days so if you're picking where we picked you're never going to get the "can't miss" guys. You can't ignore the OL year after year.

I actually believe the Cards are still reeling from picking Levi over Peterson and again, Peterson is a totally different case than Floyd was, Peterson was much higher rated than Floyd was.

And if you can show me one post that said DeCastro would hurt his knee and miss the season I'd love to see it so I can ask that person what Tomorrow's megamillions numbers are.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
And if you can show me one post that said DeCastro would hurt his knee and miss the season I'd love to see it so I can ask that person what Tomorrow's megamillions numbers are.
2-17-33-36-49 megaball- 16 .

Btw, if that wins, I'm suing whoever played it :D.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Yeah... we should all look smart and hitch our wagon to Ryan Williams, who never fumbles and doesn't have an injury problem.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah... we should all look smart and hitch our wagon to Ryan Williams, who never fumbles and doesn't have an injury problem.

Even though I have not been specifically mentioned, between you and CBUS I am getting killed today on Ryan Williams. :)

Back to the OT. Stupid moves should be called as such. It is not the fault of the posters on this message board if the Cardinals continually make these stupid moves.

EX1: Adam Snyder was a pile of crap in San Fran. We signed him, and I said it was a stupid signing and he would be a pile of crap for us too. Adam Snyder has been terrible for Arizona this year. I get to say I told you so.

EX2: Ryan Williams was an inconsistent college RB who showed some very good flashes. The Cardinals drafted him in the second round over other areas of need. I said I liked the pick because I felt he fit the offense better than Wells and was a better runner. Ryan Williams got injured his first year. I said this year that, when healthy, I thought he could still be a dynamic RB for us. Ryan Williams was underwhelming and got injured this season as well. I was wrong and whole heartedly admit it.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My only problem with Ryan Williams is that Brooks Reed was taken 2 picks later.

lol, what a beast.

How come the Texans have a monopoly on all the best D Line and Linebackers?

They moved him to LB this year and hes killing it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Even though I have not been specifically mentioned, between you and CBUS I am getting killed today on Ryan Williams. :)

Back to the OT. Stupid moves should be called as such. It is not the fault of the posters on this message board if the Cardinals continually make these stupid moves.

EX1: Adam Snyder was a pile of crap in San Fran. We signed him, and I said it was a stupid signing and he would be a pile of crap for us too. Adam Snyder has been terrible for Arizona this year. I get to say I told you so.

EX2: Ryan Williams was an inconsistent college RB who showed some very good flashes. The Cardinals drafted him in the second round over other areas of need. I said I liked the pick because I felt he fit the offense better than Wells and was a better runner. Ryan Williams got injured his first year. I said this year that, when healthy, I thought he could still be a dynamic RB for us. Ryan Williams was underwhelming and got injured this season as well. I was wrong and whole heartedly admit it.

I'm not killing you on Ryan Williams. I'm killing Krang, one of the most sanctimonious posters on the board to insisted that Ryan Williams was going to be the best RB to come out of this draft class, even after he only averaged 4.2 YPC his junior year in a gimmick run offense at VaTech and ran away from the program because he didn't want to compete/share carries with the guy coming up behind him (Call it the J.J. Arrington strategy for career management).

I think we can all admit now that Ryan Williams, the 38th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, is probably no better than the 5th or 6th running back to come out in his class (DeMarco Murray and Stevan Ridley are clearly better, and I'll wager that three or four of Mikel Leshoure, Alex Green, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter, Jacquizz Rodgers, and Daniel Thomas will end up being better than him as well).

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To paraphrase: "'The reports of my death have been greatly exagerrated" - Ryan Williams

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Another excellent football post from Canuck. Ryan Williams isn't at fault for being incredibly overrated. He probably should've said no to the "Zoom" series that raised immense expectations from the fans in the offseason. I get that the fan base didn't fall in love with Beanie Wells; for the most part Arizona fans can't recognize a solid NFL running back when they see one in red (cf Thomas Jones as villain, Marcel Shipp as hero).

Meanwhile the much-overhyped Ryan Williams averages less than 3 YPC despite having some junk-time big runs at the end of the Eagles game. He's not dead yet; he's merely pining for the fjords.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The report by K-9's that I was on his 'ignore' list also greatly overstated.