Michael Floyd

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my big issue is, does he practice or not?

He's a rookie and they often look lost but for limited time the penalties and the drops are surprising but the total lack of where he's supposed to be and go is alarming. either Kolb is wrong every time, or he keeps breaking off or changing routes on timing patterns.

The near picksix on the goalline where he got the penalty, clearly Kolb thought was going to stop and threw it. The way he pushed it looked like that was the play, but then he took off and the ball nearly went the other way. I guess I don't know for sure but I really think that was supposed to be basically the same play we ran to Fitz on 4th down but Floyd changed his route.

VERY unpolished player so far.

Does have obvious size and some talent but man he comes off as completely unaware.

What bugged me last night is his increased PT seemed to come at the expense of Housler who was MUCH more effective.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
He broke off his route cuz he knew he was covered. Kolb just tried to throw it in double coverage. If kolb wouldve stayed patient in the pocket, that would've been a TD. But who would be patient with that oline.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He broke off his route cuz he knew he was covered. Kolb just tried to throw it in double coverage. If kolb wouldve stayed patient in the pocket, that would've been a TD. But who would be patient with that oline.

He wasn't covered the guy covering him went flying backwards when he pushed him. But then when Kolb threw the ball, Floyd completely vacated the area he cut into the middle. Yes he was open, but the ball was already in the air.

Terrible play but if he stays where he stopped Jenkins isn't coming to that ball clean like that he has to go through Floyd to get it.

My guess is that was basically the same play we threw to Fitz on 4th and goal but rather than sit down there, he broke off inside and hung the QB out to dry.

Still Kolb has to be more careful but that was about the 4th time this year those 2 have been on different pages, I have a hard time believing it's Kolb and not the rookie running the wrong route.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Got to catch the ball on 3rd down. No excuses. I don't allow then for Roberts and Doucet & I won't allow them for this clown.

Didn't like the pick and besides his blocking I am unimpressed so far. He was drafted to be a possession receiver and is failing at that

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
In hindsight, we should have definitely spent that pick on an offensive lineman or someone else that could contribute immediately. Floyd has a long way to go. Hopefully he finds his way. Too early to give up on him, but damn last night wasn't very good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, not even close to ready to give up on him, but man he's been underwhelming... and still IMO a head scratcher of a pick. Drafting a possession WR in the first half of the first round just didn't seem like the best of ideas to me at the time.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Floyd is killing the team. How the heck can he not catch the ball. It's as if he's scared...I don't get it. He's trying to body catch the ball...which you stop doing in pop warner ball.

Whis is getting sick of him.

I guess Fitz was right...Floyd is DWI 'Don't Want It'

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
What I don't understand is the guy has great hand and he can't catch anything right now.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is the guy has great hand and he can't catch anything right now.

I think Rookie WR's get overwhelmed with where do I line up, what route, what is the hot route if they blitz etc. And then they overthink and even the simple catch the ball stuff becomes a problem.

But we've played 5 games and he still looks like he literally has no idea where to line up. Several times after being moved he ran almost no route, I literally think he didn't know what to do and figured I don't want to interfere with someone else's route so I'll take 3-4 steps and stop.

Looks completely lost so far.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess my big issue is, does he practice or not?

He's a rookie and they often look lost but for limited time the penalties and the drops are surprising but the total lack of where he's supposed to be and go is alarming. either Kolb is wrong every time, or he keeps breaking off or changing routes on timing patterns.

The near picksix on the goalline where he got the penalty, clearly Kolb thought was going to stop and threw it. The way he pushed it looked like that was the play, but then he took off and the ball nearly went the other way. I guess I don't know for sure but I really think that was supposed to be basically the same play we ran to Fitz on 4th down but Floyd changed his route.

VERY unpolished player so far.

Does have obvious size and some talent but man he comes off as completely unaware.

What bugged me last night is his increased PT seemed to come at the expense of Housler who was MUCH more effective.

Floyd has not looked like a first round pick to me at all. Unlike other positions receivers can make an immediate impact and do not need a few years to become good. He has dropped balls he should have caught, run routes that were apparently wrong judging by the look on the QB's face, etc. He came with a lot of hype but has not lived up to it. Hope he suddenly gets it and soon.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! I'd like to see what Byrd has to offer in a regular season game. Floyd is swimming...

Mayock said last night that horton said Williams remade himself physically, Schofield remade himself mentally. It seems to me that's whats going on with Floyd right now mentally he's on overload and it's impacting his actual play.

6 catches 60 yards 1 TD 5 first downs. Not a complete bust by any stretch but when you have half as many drops as you do catches(and penalties too) it's a sign of struggles.

gotta lotta work 2nd half last night lets hope it helps him. Had one nice catch and run for first down.

But right now Housler is a better 3rd or 4th wr than Floyd is IMO.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You guys are so dramatic.

Hes a rookie. He had 1 drop, 1 route mistake.

Blackmon has done less than Floyd.

Dez Bryant isnt remotely as good as he wass upposed to be.

Crabtree has stonehands and he was supposed to be a star.

Ive seen Mgatron and Andre Johnson drop several balls before.

summary: ITS BEEN 4 GAMES. THERE ARE GROWING PAINS

If we sit anyone, it should be Doucet.

Fitz, Roberts, Floyd, Byrd. Thats a great lineup.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are so dramatic.

Hes a rookie. He had 1 drop, 1 route mistake.

Blackmon has done less than Floyd.

Dez Bryant isnt remotely as good as he wass upposed to be.

Crabtree has stonehands and he was supposed to be a star.

Ive seen Mgatron and Andre Johnson drop several balls before.

summary: ITS BEEN 4 GAMES. THERE ARE GROWING PAINS

If we sit anyone, it should be Doucet.

Fitz, Roberts, Floyd, Byrd. Thats a great lineup.

He has dropped at least 3 balls in his hands so far, 6 catches, one of which he saved a pick and made a TD out of so that was good.

it's been 5 games, he still can't lineup, I saw Kolb move him like 3 times again last night.

I saw one of the coaches talking to him on the sideline after one play about where he ran the route you could see the guy motioning. My guess was he missed a hot read on a blitz or something.

Yes it's rookie stuff but when you pick a WR over an OL and your OL is this bad you start to wish at least it would be good if the WR could contribute.

Eventually he will, but I think it's going to be a persistent thing this year what if we picked an OL instead.

NOt his fault about that but it is his fault if he doesn't know the offense and it sure looks like he doesn't.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has dropped at least 3 balls in his hands so far, 6 catches, one of which he saved a pick and made a TD out of so that was good.

it's been 5 games, he still can't lineup, I saw Kolb move him like 3 times again last night.

I saw one of the coaches talking to him on the sideline after one play about where he ran the route you could see the guy motioning. My guess was he missed a hot read on a blitz or something.

Yes it's rookie stuff but when you pick a WR over an OL and your OL is this bad you start to wish at least it would be good if the WR could contribute.

Eventually he will, but I think it's going to be a persistent thing this year what if we picked an OL instead.

NOt his fault about that but it is his fault if he doesn't know the offense and it sure looks like he doesn't.

------> Link to the "Andre Roberts Sucks!" rookie thread.

j/k too lazy to link it. Search the forums for "Roberts bust" and youll get more hits than lindsay lohan in a miami coke house

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't see hardly any speed or explosiveness with Floyd. His hands better get more consistent if he's going to be a possession WR.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
------> Link to the "Andre Roberts Sucks!" rookie thread.

j/k too lazy to link it. Search the forums for "Roberts bust" and youll get more hits than lindsay lohan in a miami coke house

Roberts wasn't a first round pick we bypassed a position of need to take. Roberts played at Citadel not Notre Dame.

Roberts had issues yes but I never got the impression he was not mentally prepared, I get that impression everytime Floyd is on the field.

It's not Floyd's fault we passed on an OL I get that and that's not fair to him, but because we did, and because we're throwing the ball often, it really magnifies it that he's not ready to go.

Like my first post said though it's almost like he doesn't practice because they're literally telling him where to line up etc.

Frustrating but admitted rookies make rookie mistakes.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see hardly any speed or explosiveness with Floyd. His hands better get more consistent if he's going to be a possession WR.

I think he needs to be coached how to get off the LOS. Im surprised how raw he is.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

All of which can be said about Larry and Jerry Rice.

His hands problem is 100% mental.

Roberts wasn't a first round pick we bypassed a position of need to take. Roberts played at Citadel not Notre Dame.

Roberts had issues yes but I never got the impression he was not mentally prepared, I get that impression everytime Floyd is on the field.

It's not Floyd's fault we passed on an OL I get that and that's not fair to him, but because we did, and because we're throwing the ball often, it really magnifies it that he's not ready to go.

Like my first post said though it's almost like he doesn't practice because they're literally telling him where to line up etc.

Frustrating but admitted rookies make rookie mistakes.

2 Things:

1. You didnt get the impression Roberts was not mentally ready? Its was purely mental. 110%. 5 dropped punts, fumbles, stone hands. Roberts was WAY worse than Floyd his rookie year. So was Roberts issues mechanical? He didnt know how to catch or run? thats what it sounds like your saying.

2. Ive heard this many times, the whole "we passed on guys in the draft to take Floyd"

ahem*, WHO?

Im not going to do it because Ive done it twice already, but Ive listed all picks 12-32 after the Floyd pick and besides Melvin Ingram, not a single solitary guy is clearly better than Floyd.

So who did you have in mind?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His hands problem is 100% mental.

2 Things:

1. You didnt get the impression Roberts was not mentally ready? Its was purely mental. 110%. 5 dropped punts, fumbles, stone hands. Roberts was WAY worse than Floyd his rookie year. So was Roberts issues mechanical? He didnt know how to catch or run? thats what it sounds like your saying.

2. Ive heard this many times, the whole "we passed on guys in the draft to take Floyd"

ahem*, WHO?

Im not going to do it because Ive done it twice already, but Ive listed all picks 12-32 after the Floyd pick and besides Melvin Ingram, not a single solitary guy is clearly better than Floyd.

So who did you have in mind?

Roberts didn't play much early on but when he did they weren't constantly telling him where to line up. that's completely mental, know the playbook.

Draft, I'm talking just OL's, last time I checked Ingram isn't an OL but if you count him you have to count Chandler Jones, hightower, hell Smith from ND is starting for the Vikings IIRC. Doug Martin. Jenkins the guy he couldn't beat last night(not that I would have touched him).

AS for OL's DeCastro was the obvious pick or Reiff, Glenn is already starting we'll see him next.

When you are taken 11th over a position of need and the position of need is a glaring problem 5 games in, you start to wonder what about the guy we did take.

If you really think his rookie year is comparable to Fitz or Rice we can just stop.

Rice 49 catches just under 1000 yards as a rookie, with lots of early drops.

Fitz 58 catches nearly 800 yards 8 TD's. Fitz had 5 catches in 3 of his first 5 games, Floyd has 5 total after 5 games. If you really think that's comparable then no point replying to you.

Rice NEVER had trouble getting open even as a rookie when dropping balls that's what everyone was saying, nobody can cover him he's always open. Fitz had some separation issues early but never hands problems. I agree his hands issue is mental the problem is his whole game right now is mental. I don't think he knows where to be and what the plays are. You can see the coaches are frustrated by that.

We supposedly took Floyd to alleviate double teams but he's nowhere near ready to do that.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you must not have watched Jerry Rice much. that dude has burning GAME speed. He routinely left defenders in the dust on those slants, not to mention getting big separation down the field.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Relax...

Andre Roberts really flourished this year, his third year, I believe.

I'm assuming the rookie is fourth on the depth chart is probably not getting a lot of reps. But, at the same time, he needs to make plays when he gets the opportunity. The drop between the numbers is totally inexcusable.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
he was not drafted for his speed but as a possession receiver... he has height advantage in jump ball situations. Looks like he is not yet ready, hopefully toward the 3rd quarter of the season or so...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky