Michael Floyd

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys are so dramatic.

Hes a rookie. He had 1 drop, 1 route mistake...
We lost a game we should have won. So fire everybody. Cut everybody. Every one of our players is a bust.

To say we've got problems is an understatement, but to label som kid who didn't make a play or two a "draft bust" is just an outgrowth of our usual hysteria when things don't go right.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luv to see this thread bumped in a year or two.

You're missing the point. I don't disagree he'll be a good player. The question was always did it make sense to use the 11th overall pick on a WR when we had a weak OL and the guy we picked had some obvious issues.

Yes he'll be good in 2 years, maybe sooner than that, but he'll never be an offensive lineman.

I get we didn't know Levi would get hurt but it's not like nobody ever suggested our OL was a problem until after Levi got hurt.

Floyd was a luxury pick, if you make a luxury pick at least it would be nice if the kid could line up on his own, run the correct route and make an impact.

I would also bet in 1-2 years this thread if bumped will have links to articles where reporters say things like "the key to Floyd's improvement is he realized he needed to prepare like an NFL WR, that he wasn't in college anymore, and that he needed to prepare more."

its a process it happens every year with lots of rookies. If we took DeCastro and he still got hurt people would be griping about that but at least we'd know we attempted to fix the problem.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost a game we should have won. So fire everybody. Cut everybody. Every one of our players is a bust.

To say we've got problems is an understatement, but to label som kid who didn't make a play or two a "draft bust" is just an outgrowth of our usual hysteria when things don't go right.

And if anybody does that on this thread I'll agree with you.

You do know what quotation marks mean right?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Last time we picked an OL in the first round based on "need", we are still debating and throwing tomatoes at the FO.

The draft board is BPA and the staff felt Floyd was the best player at the position within the several needs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And if anybody does that on this thread I'll agree with you.

You do know what quotation marks mean right?
No, I don't know what quotes are for. Why don't you tell me.

And while you're at it, check out Rugby's earlier post about how we had drafted Floyd as a possession receiver and how he is failing at doing that. If that isn't the definition of "draft bust" (quotes intentional and designed to set off the two words), then I don't know what is.

(Note - sometimes it makes sense to cut corners with grammar - especially when you post in Internet text boxes and you have to use a cheesy on-screen tablet keyboard).

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you must not have watched Jerry Rice much. that dude has burning GAME speed. He routinely left defenders in the dust on those slants, not to mention getting big separation down the field.

Yup, he was one of the best athletes ever. That is why he played to well for so long.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't know what quotes are for. Why don't you tell me.

And while you're at it, check out Rugby's earlier post about how we had drafted Floyd as a possession receiver and how he is failing at doing that. If that isn't the definition of "draft bust" (quotes intentional and designed to set off the two words), then I don't know what is.

(Note - sometimes it makes sense to cut corners with grammar - especially when you post in Internet text boxes and you have to use a cheesy on-screen tablet keyboard).

You know what I mean if you put something in quotes you are saying someone actually said that when in this thread I'm not aware anybody actually has.

So putting something in quotes and talking about hysteria when nobody really said that seemed a little out of character for you.

But I do apologize for the snotty comment, one of those days for me.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time we picked an OL in the first round based on "need", we are still debating and throwing tomatoes at the FO.

The draft board is BPA and the staff felt Floyd was the best player at the position within the several needs.

And when we picked Levi over Peterson I was one of the people leading the omg are you kidding me bandwagon.

Michael Floyd was not the best WR prospect in X years to come out of college like Peterson was at RB.

When you have a can't miss stud you take him, Floyd isn't one. So using the Brown/Peterson analogy doesn't really work here IMO.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I thought Blackmon and Floyd were the two top WR's and Blackmon was long gone.

For OL, Kalil was gone and I guess we must not have Riley high on our draft board. I don't have any insight into it. I also don't know how he is doing and whether we should have picked him or not at #13, ten spots higher his actual spot.

Since #2 WR was our need, I felt that was the right move. Sometime you hit the jackpot and the pick starts contributing right away, sometime they take a while to develop, and other times they just cannot make it into the NFL a.k.a. busts. The jury is out on Floyd.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

For OL, Kalil was gone and I guess we must not have Riley high on our draft board. I don't have any insight into it. I also don't know how he is doing and whether we should have picked him or not at #13, ten spots higher his actual spot.

Since #2 WR was our need, I felt that was the right move. Sometime you hit the jackpot and the pick starts contributing right away, sometime they take a while to develop, and other times they just cannot make it into the NFL a.k.a. busts. The jury is out on Floyd.

In this thread we have seen people talk about how well Andre Roberts has played so how could #2 WR be a need? That seems contradictory.

To me Michael Floyd is Bryant Johnson part two. I haven't seen anything from him on the field that would indicate he was one of the top 15 players coming out of college last season. Heck I didn't see anything from him in college to suggest that.

Speaking of Andre Roberts I can go back and find posts where people said Bryant Johnson was going to be a better WR than Boldin. So using people saying Roberts wasn't much back when he was a rookie doesn't prove anything in relation to Floyd.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we had a need at WR it was a speed WR, that's not Floyd. as for where others got picked, who knows where Floyd would have gone if we hadn't picked him. The day of the draft there were articles saying some teams pulled him off their first round draft board, others had him fast rising.

I don't think the problems throwing the ball last year were lack of a 2nd WR it was QB and OL related.

If you never address the OL in the draft it's much harder to fix it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what I mean if you put something in quotes you are saying someone actually said that when in this thread I'm not aware anybody actually has.

So putting something in quotes and talking about hysteria when nobody really said that seemed a little out of character for you.

But I do apologize for the snotty comment, one of those days for me.
Russ - apology accepted. Sometimes I'll use quotes to isolate a phrase (as in: "some people call it a 'draft bust'"). It doesn't necessarily mean I'm quoting anybody - just taking poetic license to make the phrase stand out more.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're missing the point. I don't disagree he'll be a good player. The question was always did it make sense to use the 11th overall pick on a WR when we had a weak OL and the guy we picked had some obvious issues.

Yes he'll be good in 2 years, maybe sooner than that, but he'll never be an offensive lineman.

I get we didn't know Levi would get hurt but it's not like nobody ever suggested our OL was a problem until after Levi got hurt.

Floyd was a luxury pick, if you make a luxury pick at least it would be nice if the kid could line up on his own, run the correct route and make an impact.

I would also bet in 1-2 years this thread if bumped will have links to articles where reporters say things like "the key to Floyd's improvement is he realized he needed to prepare like an NFL WR, that he wasn't in college anymore, and that he needed to prepare more."

its a process it happens every year with lots of rookies. If we took DeCastro and he still got hurt people would be griping about that but at least we'd know we attempted to fix the problem.

So we pass on the so-called luxury pick and Floyd is selected by the Rams. And, we bump the thread and someone leads the charge on 'what the Hell we're we thinking?"

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ - apology accepted. Sometimes I'll use quotes to isolate a phrase (as in: "some people call it a 'draft bust'"). It doesn't necessarily mean I'm quoting anybody - just taking poetic license to make the phrase stand out more.

Fair enough Jeff I've seen you post far too often I should have known you weren't doing that.

The funny thing is my mood had nothing to do with the Cards last night, I'm still quite happy to be 4-1 with a terrific defense. lots of other holes to patch but one loss doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the season so far.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we pass on the so-called luxury pick and Floyd is selected by the Rams. And, we bump the thread and someone leads the charge on 'what the Hell we're we thinking?"

You don't draft to keep players away from your opponents, especially not in the first round. Personally I'd have been happy if they picked him

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You don't draft to keep players away from your opponents, especially not in the first round. Personally I'd have been happy if they picked him

This board was replete with posts calling for a true number two w/o and Floyd represented both the possibility of that and arguably the highest rated player on board, certainly the Cards board. It wasn't IMO keeping him away from the Rams, as such, but it's likely that a team looking for weapons would have taken him.

(And, personally, you could have lived to regret it.)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough Jeff I've seen you post far too often I should have known you weren't doing that.

The funny thing is my mood had nothing to do with the Cards last night, I'm still quite happy to be 4-1 with a terrific defense. lots of other holes to patch but one loss doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the season so far.

We may not win another game this year but we'll always have Philadelphia. That game alone will give me something to look back fondly on when this season officially ends (week 8, I figure;)).

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Reminds me a LOT of Dez Bryant. All the "tools" but never seems to be in the right spot.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wanted us to take Brockers or Ingram. It turns out with the way Acho and Schoefield have been playing that Ingram could have been considered a luxury pick. But he'd still be a very good player in the mix. Brockers probably made the most sense as he could step in for DD in a couple years. I think Whiz was looking for a "Boldin" to pair with Fitz. Maybe in a couple years that will be the case.

There weren't any OL worthy of the pick. So they just went with their BPA. Once Floyd starts reading defenses/coverages better, I think he'll be fine. I don't think he looks overwhelmed athletically so when/if the mental part comes, he may take off.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This board was replete with posts calling for a true number two w/o and Floyd represented both the possibility of that and arguably the highest rated player on board, certainly the Cards board. It wasn't IMO keeping him away from the Rams, as such, but it's likely that a team looking for weapons would have taken him.

(And, personally, you could have lived to regret it.)

I agree it was but most of us(I was one) was saying we need a speed Wr it's too bad we don't ahve a 2nd rounder. I remember threads about what if DeSean Jackson were available(contract issues he had) etc.

as we got closer to the draft and it became apparent we liked Floyd there was a clear contingent here that wanted him and a clear contingent here that didn't.

I really didn't comment I was too busy saying we should take DeCastro.

again I don't think Floyd will ever be so good that I'd regret him being on another team. I hope I'm wrong I hope he's a star but I was far more worried about improving a huge weakness on the Cards than on the Rams getting a WR.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may not win another game this year but we'll always have Philadelphia. That game alone will give me something to look back fondly on when this season officially ends (week 8, I figure;)).

Steve

Yep. And I tend to be even keel in that regard when people were saying we looked "one heartbeat" bad in the preseason I was not piling on. Hell I went to Tahoe in June and put $50 on us to make the Superbowl(not win) at 22-1. Do I expect us to no, did I think our defense was good enough that at 22-1 it was worth taking a shot yes.

I'm not surprised we're 4-1 I had us figured 3-2 or 4-1 now anyways, just not with a win over NE. We lost a game I expected to win last night, we won a game I expected to lose.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Receivers taken in the top 15 usually don't take much time to develop. In fact, it's far more likely for them to fizzle out after a great rookie year than it is for one to slowly ease into his role. Here are the receivers taken in the top 15 over the past 10 years along with their rookie year stats (pick number in bold).

4 AJ Green-65 catches/1057 yards/7 TDs
6 Julio Jones-54/959/8

7 Darius Hayword Bay-9/124/1
10 Michael Crabtree-48/625/2

2 Calvin Johnson-48/756/4
9 Ted Ginn-34/420/2

3 Braylon Edwards-32/512/3
7 Troy Williamson-24/372/2
10 Mike Williams-29/350/1

3 Larry Fitzgerald-58/780/8
7 Roy Williams-54/817/8
9 Reggie Williams-27/268/1
13 Lee Evans-48/843/9
15 Michael Clayton-80/1193/7

2 Charles Rogers-22/243/2
3 Andre Johnson-66/976/4

13 Dante Stallworth-42/594/8

Floyd is on pace for 19 catches, 192 yards, 3 TDs.

There's still plenty of time for him to turn it around, but the history of slow starting receivers taken in the top half of the first round isn't encouraging.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
In this thread we have seen people talk about how well Andre Roberts has played so how could #2 WR be a need? That seems contradictory.

To me Michael Floyd is Bryant Johnson part two. I haven't seen anything from him on the field that would indicate he was one of the top 15 players coming out of college last season. Heck I didn't see anything from him in college to suggest that.

Speaking of Andre Roberts I can go back and find posts where people said Bryant Johnson was going to be a better WR than Boldin. So using people saying Roberts wasn't much back when he was a rookie doesn't prove anything in relation to Floyd.
Ah, but Andre Roberts was not very consistent until this season... He came on his own this season.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
If we had a need at WR it was a speed WR, that's not Floyd. as for where others got picked, who knows where Floyd would have gone if we hadn't picked him. The day of the draft there were articles saying some teams pulled him off their first round draft board, others had him fast rising.

I don't think the problems throwing the ball last year were lack of a 2nd WR it was QB and OL related.

If you never address the OL in the draft it's much harder to fix it.
We needed a #2. Period. To try to take some of the focus of defense away from Fitz. Both Andre and Early were unanimously not considered to be that guy. Heck, they struggled to even get open at times. Now some of that was also QB play as the QB either missed them or was not even looking at them.

Again, what OL other than Riley could we have selected at #13? I don't know how Riley is doing... any insights?