Mike D'Antoni

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to know if there are still people on this board who think DA is a good coach. The Suns lost him and one year later, they were right back in the WCF, with as good a shot as they ever had with him.

He goes to the Knicks and they were a disaster, then got slightly better, then were a disaster again and the second they jettisoned his ass, they've had one of the best records in the league since his firing.

And now, with the Lakers, without Nash, but with 2 of the best 5 players in the league, his team is a nightmare.

Can people finally just accept that he's a complete one trick pony and that pony is Nash and without him, he literally has no system?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Can people finally just accept that he's a complete one trick pony and that pony is Nash and without him, he literally has no system?
I previously accepted that! I cannot understand how the Lakers FO couldn't envision that, even with a healthy Nash over the course of a season.

Putting on a dog-and-pony show during the regular season may be acceptable to Suns management, but the Lakers want it all!

Obviously, Mike D'Antoni is not the coach to achieve it. The Lakers must have gotten hold of the prescription to Sarver's "stupid" pills. :biglaugh:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep doing this. If anything can anti-jinx something, it's a bunch of suns fans complaining.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I want to know if there are still people on this board who think DA is a good coach. The Suns lost him and one year later, they were right back in the WCF, with as good a shot as they ever had with him.

He goes to the Knicks and they were a disaster, then got slightly better, then were a disaster again and the second they jettisoned his ass, they've had one of the best records in the league since his firing.

And now, with the Lakers, without Nash, but with 2 of the best 5 players in the league, his team is a nightmare.

D'Antoni + Nash = Whiz + Warner

;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it before and I will say it again. The Suns had success despite D'Antoni. I will always believe that if the Suns had Pop or Jackson with the same team they would have won at least one title.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bad formulas for Dantoni:

melo(ball hog) + dantoni
kobe(ball hog) + dantoni

his system relies on the players more so than the actual system

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep doing this. If anything can anti-jinx something, it's a bunch of suns fans complaining.

you cant anti-jinx complete and utter crap. Duckjake should have taught you that lesson by now!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The talent difference between the Lakers and Suns is not even close and the Lakers are only up 2 games on the Suns. The Lakers are suffering from defensiveITIS just as every D'Antoni team. Nuff said.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash returns in January. I suspect all early returns are not a true measure of the final result.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash returns in January. I suspect all early returns are not a true measure of the final result.

that's just the point tho Gad. Without Nash, the guy literally has nothing up his sleeve. Hell, the Lakers looked a hell of a lot better with Bernie Bickerstaff on the bench and he probably wasn't even coaching.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's just the point tho Gad. Without Nash, the guy literally has nothing up his sleeve. Hell, the Lakers looked a hell of a lot better with Bernie Bickerstaff on the bench and he probably wasn't even coaching.

Exactly. This also adds to the credibility that the Suns were always more about Nash versus D'Antoni. How many times did we here D'Antoni say that Nash didn't need much direction and was the floor general? I remember D'Antoni on KTAR say he rarely told Steve what to do unless he had a specific designed play out of a time out. Other than that, he trusted Nash to make the right calls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the question is whether Kobe and Nash can coexist. Nash can be effective as a shooter without the ball, but that is far from using his abilities. Kobe is a one on one creator, and is not at the top of his game as a catch and shoot player. If they can share, maybe it will work.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has no arms?!?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni is a great coach...

...when Steve Nash is on the court.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
D'Antoni is a great coach...

...when Steve Nash is on the court.

Not when the game is of utmost importance though. Even with Nash on the court it was an ugly fate.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised that by the time the team adjusts to Nash on offense (and tries to cover for him on defense), baseball will be in full swing or Nash will be declining some more.

Plus the problem with Howard. And Kobe and Nash stepping on each other's toes. And either the handling of Gasol the problem or Gasol the replaced.

All of this with a narrow minded head coach who does not embrace all of the facets of basketball.

It doesn't look good in LaLa Land. Just as it doesn't look good in Suns Land.

If they merged both teams into one, they would do a hell of a lot better with Gentry coaching than D'Antoni. :)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Remember how much of a trainwreck we were when Nash came out of the game during the SSOL era?

That interview was typical D'Antoni arrogance. The LA media is going to eat him alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake