Mini Camp First Impressions

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
He looks bigger to me. Especially his arms.

No Way!

Boldin was jacked to begin with. He is going to be unstoppable......more so!

Great Stuff. This is why ASFN is the best!

This little tid bit is just the stuff I needed. Football is back!

Peace
:thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
This will be the most important aspect of the new regime. The line play on both sides is going to have to improve, without much in the way of new personnel, if this team is going to be successful.

Nice.

I found something I can agree with kerouac9 with.

NFL games are won in the trenches, and the better our big men are the better our team with be.

:thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got home. I'm whipped. Got to go back tomorrow for two more sessions.

I will put up a long report on Sunday. I've got to contact a player first to see if I use what he told me. I forgot to clear it with him.

All I can say is wow. Wow. And more wow.

Very different from what I've seen the last few years. I'll see tomorrow if thing change from today.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think I just wet myself, and couldn't be happier about it!

Ok, I'm new to this board, but the oldest (I mean only, I live in Iowa) Cards fan I know. This board has rekindled my enthusiasm. I'd like to ask a question though, I know every new year brings with it the excitement of potential, but how psyhed, in honest and straightforward terms, are you in comparision to other season's beginings when hope is high?

Thanks!

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Just got home. I'm whipped. Got to go back tomorrow for two more sessions.

I will put up a long report on Sunday. I've got to contact a player first to see if I use what he told me. I forgot to clear it with him.

All I can say is wow. Wow. And more wow.

Very different from what I've seen the last few years. I'll see tomorrow if thing change from today.

Yeah do that.......We want that scope... :thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SuperSpck said:
Ok, I'm new to this board, but the oldest (I mean only, I live in Iowa) Cards fan I know. This board has rekindled my enthusiasm. I'd like to ask a question though, I know every new year brings with it the excitement of potential, but how psyhed, in honest and straightforward terms, are you in comparision to other season's beginings when hope is high?

Thanks!

Hope surges in all Cards fans every spring but the last time I was this excited was when we hired Buddy Ryan. And we all know how that turned out.

So, I am upbeat but wary.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I am super physched right now. But, you are right, I am every year. Its always fun.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Didn't we have good practices in Mac era but never translated into Sunday on field performances. But, things may be changing in that regards... :hulk:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is always optimism. Look at the stuff people wer syaing last year. You can talk yourself into anything. The difference. Is that different things are being done. A different approach is being used by different people. This approach that has had success. People who have had success. Let's just some it up in 2 words: DENNY GREEN.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Didn't we have good practices in Mac era but never translated into Sunday on field performances.
There is no comparison, trust me

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's tough to descibe exactly but a good example is watching them break one set and move to the next.

They were working as a large group, possibly the whole squad, then they split into seperate sections. In watching the DBs move I heard the coach yelling 'Nobody Walks' and he meant it.

Everything was up tempo, faster , harder more intense, less wasted time.

Watching the OL (I tend to focus on OL & DL), last year there were working drills with one guy working 9 guys watching. This year it was 5 on 5, no down time, if you weren't the guy working, you were hepling the the guy that was. Thies mean you wre either working your body or your mind.

None of the OL spent time recovering under a tree in the shade, last year they did. For us it was good as it gave us a chnce to talk with them, but I ses now that that was practice time lost.

If football is a game of inches as I have heard, then some of those inches are earned here in mini camp. We are just earning a few more than we had last year and that has to help.

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
nidan said:
It's tough to descibe exactly but a good example is watching them break one set and move to the next.

They were working as a large group, possibly the whole squad, then they split into seperate sections. In watching the DBs move I heard the coach yelling 'Nobody Walks' and he meant it.

Watching the OL (I tend to focus on OL & DL), last year there were working drills with one guy working 9 guys watching. This year it was 5 on 5, no down time, if you weren't the guy working, you were hepling the the guy that was. Thies mean you wre either working your body or your mind.

None of the OL spent time recovering under a tree in the shade, last year they did. For us it was good as it gave us a chnce to talk with them, but I ses now that that was practice time lost.

If football is a game of inhes as I have heard, then some of those inches are earned here in mini camp. We are just earning a few more than we had last year and that has to help.

Nice job Ian, Jo and Skorrp and Melanie. This is giving us a lot of hope in light of what happened last year.

Thanks.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nidan said:

If football is a game of inches as I have heard, then some of those inches are earned here in mini camp. We are just earning a few more than we had last year and that has to help.

I am going to keep saying it until I am blue in the face: Bob Wylie is going to have the OL functioning the way it should be...or those guys will die trying. Of all the offseason moves, hiring Wylie was one of the very best.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
There is always optimism. Look at the stuff people wer syaing last year. You can talk yourself into anything. The difference. Is that different things are being done. A different approach is being used by different people. This approach that has had success. People who have had success. Let's just some it up in 2 words: DENNY GREEN.

Wow Denny Green, go figure.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm pretty pumped myself but it is kind of funny how every year everybody is so sure this the best camp ever. I thought last year was one of the best camps ever and everybody was pumped and ready to go. Now this one is even better! :eek: Sometimes it is hard to believe the hype...it's almost like crying wolf, after awhile it becomes hard to believe. This year I actually believe it though. I think the biggest improvement will be the teaching ,which is great. The only really good teaching I think we had before was Sullivan. I just hope there isn't any dropoff there...

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I'm pretty pumped myself but it is kind of funny how every year everybody is so sure this the best camp ever. I thought last year was one of the best camps ever and everybody was pumped and ready to go. Now this one is even better! :eek: Sometimes it is hard to believe the hype...it's almost like crying wolf, after awhile it becomes hard to believe. This year I actually believe it though. I think the biggest improvement will be the teaching ,which is great. The only really good teaching I think we had before was Sullivan. I just hope there isn't any dropoff there...
Nope, I think you are wrong on this.

Sure we were excited last year, it was our first time with access. This year is a little different, the practice regiem is very different.

Does that make it better or worse in terms of wins? I'm buggered if I know but it sure looks more focused and the players seem to be taking it more seriously and that can't be a bad thing. I don't see how this can be viewed as hype, just reporting what we see.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
After reading all the stories and tidbits I am so pumped up that I could star in the movie Pumping Iron 2 The revenge of Cards Czar! :beer:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
He looks bigger to me. Especially his arms.

Thats because David Boston is his idle! :D

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nidan said:
Nope, I think you are wrong on this.

Sure we were excited last year, it was our first time with access. This year is a little different, the practice regiem is very different.

Does that make it better or worse in terms of wins? I'm buggered if I know but it sure looks more focused and the players seem to be taking it more seriously and that can't be a bad thing. I don't see how this can be viewed as hype, just reporting what we see.

We did have coverage before last year though right? I remember people saying how much more energetic guys were after we fired Tobin and what an improvement it was. I also remember a lot of good things coming out of camp last year. Was I wrong?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any comments specifically on how McCown looked throwing the ball and running the plays??

Haven't noticed any but I may have missed them.