Monday Morning Thoughts: Game 9

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. It's always great to win when the ball wasn't bouncing your way (save the brilliant first series sack/strip by John Abraham and TD scoop by Matt Shaughnessy)---the two missed interceptions by Dansby (the second which caromed ahead to DeAndre Hawkins for a first down---weird), the regrettable interception thrown up for grabs on a 2nd and 5 in a tie game, the regrettable strip fumble by Carson Palmer where once again he refused to step up to avoid outside pressure, and held on to the ball too long---the inexcusable and totally lame fumble by Mendenhall whose primary job in that situation is ball security---the incredible TD by Andre Johnson that Patrick Peterson had in his hands---Heck---even the refs weren't helping much---the flag on the PI on Roberts down near the end zone came flying in from the side judge just before the ball arrives and the refs called it holding before the pass (5 yards instead of 25)---

2. But---some unsung players stepped up very well in some very key situations: (a) Zastudil---what an amazing punter he is; (b) Bethel---what an amazing kick blocker he is, pure textbook; (c) Housler---what a nifty slip screen TD he had and amazing catch in double coverage; (d) Powers---best game as a Cardinal, capped off by perfectly breaking up the last pass to Hawkins.

3. Most of all---the game was won up front on both sides of the ball, especially in that second half. The defensive line led by Abraham, Campbell, Dockett, Williams, Shaughnessy, Rucker, Bernard, Ta'amu was hammering the Texans' line and getting to ball in a flash. The offensive line took over the game in the 4th quarter. It was a rush to see them play so hard and tough versus a very talented defensive line. Clearly, this is the most committed the Cardinals have been to the running game and being physical up front that we've seen in years. The only thing i don't get, is why on first and goal from the five yard line, you run power for 2 yards down to the 3 yard line and then go right into a shotgun and abandon the run the next play...for two errant passes under duress....the second of which Roberts' arm was being being held by the CB...a call that Roberts doesn't seem to get in key conversion situations. The goal-line RB should be Ellington (because he can bounce and beat people to the end zone via quickness) and Taylor (because he's the toughest inside RB on the roster). Did you see Mendenhall earlier in the game on 3rd and 1---both Paul Fanaika and Eric Winston got a good push on their men, all Mendenhall had to do was hammer forward, instead he danced laterally and was dropped for a 1 yard loss. Mendenhall finally hit the hole hard a couple of times later (guess he was motivated to do so by Ellington's runs)---but he doesn't finish off runs---in fact, now he's just turning his back instead of lowering his shoulder.

4. The Andre Cat is significant---because it shows that an old dog is learning new tricks...and it signifies an important change in how BA uses his personnel in order to maximize its strengths---and to give the team a competitive edge. The only problem is that clearly Peterson's lateral option was being defended aggressively by that back right side---BA should have seen that and never should have called that 3rd play because it wasn't even close to being there. What would be a more dynamic option is to have Ryan Williams in the backfield (off-set or in a needle) next to Ellington. Imagine having Ellington, Peterson and Williams all on the field at the same time---with some passing options included.

5. What may be in the works---if BA is showing such flexibility---is the prospect of drafting QB Tajh Boyd, Ellington's and Brown's teammate at Clemson. Boyd is having a good season, but not a stellar one---and in light of the plethora of QB options in this year's upcoming draft, Boyd might be on the board when the Cardinals pick. Boyd's mobility and impressive arm strength could be too attractive to pass up. Steve Keim went personally to see Boyd this year and it is quite possible that Boyd is being considered and discussed.

6. Patrick Peterson is playing like an All Pro CB because he has started to master his technique. He's no longer a flag waiting to happen because he now trusts in his ability to locate and adjust to the ball. The job he did on Andre Johnson yesterday was stellar. As for his punt returns---he remains very tentative and cautious. I think it would be wise for BA to save Peterson for when the team needs a big return most or for when it simply needs a fair catch. Javier Arenas is itching to make his mark on returns and Honey Badger would be a nice option a couple of times a game. Plus, one has to wonder what Ellington could do in that role as a spot return man.

7. Honey Badger is the best tackler on the team.

8. Carson Palmer played very very hard yesterday. On the rare occasions when he does step up---like the time he threw over the middle to Roberts, for a nifty 14 yard completion---he is dang good. The back foot habit is troubling. But, regardless, Palmer stood in there, took his licks and played hard.

9. Larry Fitzgerald threw some great blocks out there again. Sadly, he got eaten up by CB Johnathan Joseph, who had no fear of Fitz beating him deep. This was epitomized by the play where Fitz got flagged for PI for pushing off, because Joseph knew he didn't have to keep any cushion on Fitz. Funny too that Fitz didn't even act like it was he who got interfered with, because Joseph came to meet him 12 yards down the field where that contact is a penalty. Did you notice that on third downs now, the coaches have Fitz running 2 yard drag routes? Why? Especially on 3rd and 7's? Did you notice too that during a timeout on 3rd and goal from the 3, Fitz was over lobbying to BA and BA had to put his hand up to say not now. The NBC crew also pointed out that BA was emphatic in telling them that the QB has to stop trying to force the ball in to Fitz. The reality is, BA isn't getting from Fitz what he got from Reggie Wayne last year when BA started moving Wayne around for the first time in his career.

10. Daryn Colledge deserves serious props. As poor as he was last year---this year he is bringing it. He's still somewhat inconsistent, but his effort and his toughness have been on full display the past few games. Credit Harold Goodwin too. His boys are getting after it up front.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
In Palmer's defense, he tried to step up in the pocket MANY, MANY times this game. Twice he actually jumped over the surging defensive line pressure that was coming up the middle to try and toss a pass. Not to mention Palmer got rocked while stepping up to deliver the TD pass to Andre Roberts to win the game. To say Palmer is refusing to step up in the pocket is gross hyperbole, and just not true. Granted you give Palmer his due, and yes I agree with too many throws off the back foot, but there is no need to go into extremes, IMO.

The offensive interior line is horrible, that will change, but right now, any QB who is stepping up into that mess coming at him, is a brave soul in my book. To say Daryn Colledge had a good game is a bit much. I didn't see it, that is for sure. Our interior line was getting beaten pretty badly, but our tackles, especially in the run game were, as you say, getting after it. Again, I have yet to see or hear a reason why Sowell should not be resigned as this team's right guard in the offseason.

Speaking of Andre Roberts, he may be learning new tricks, but he is back to his old habits. Again, he is much, much better than in year's past, but he is always good for dropping one clutch pass that hits him in the hands, and he did it again this weekend in dropping a TD pass. Maybe if he spent more time thinking about catching the ball, and less about what he is going to complain about to the refs.

As for what is going on with Fitzgerald.......there is a reason everyone else is open. As for the offensive PI ? Bold call by the refs, bold call. Yet, there is no doubt, there is something not right going on with Fitzgerald.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

Honey Badger is the best tackler on the team. IMO he simply assesses every situation and knows what his leverage is and how to bring down the runner. His use of leverage is excellent and he stops much bigger and possibly stronger opponents with ease and little to no extra yards gained.

It does appear to me that he is getting burned some in pass D as teams are scheming him more and more. I expect this to improve as he gets more experience and HB brings far more positives than negatives.

It was fun and great to see the trench battles and how both our units stepped it up big time in the 2nd half.

I don't think Colledge was as bad as many believed last year and yes he is fighting hard this year. Factor in he is quietly playing with leg injury issues and his performance is even more impressive. Harold Goodwin is doing a great job with this unit.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Palmer's defense, he tried to step up in the pocket MANY, MANY times this game. Twice he actually jumped over the surging defensive line pressure that was coming up the middle to try and toss a pass. Not to mention Palmer got rocked while stepping up to deliver the TD pass to Andre Roberts to win the game. To say Palmer is refusing to step up in the pocket is gross hyperbole, and just not true. Granted you give Palmer his due, and yes I agree with too many throws off the back foot, but there is no need to go into extremes, IMO.

The offensive interior line is horrible, that will change, but right now, any QB who is stepping up into that mess coming at him, is a brave soul in my book.

Speaking of Andre Roberts, he may be learning new tricks, but he is back to his old habits. Again, he is much, much better than in year's past, but he is always good for dropping one clutch pass that hits him in the hands, and he did it again this weekend in dropping a TD pass. Maybe if he spent more time thinking about catching the ball, and less about what he is going to complain about to the refs.

I agree with this as well, especially the bolded part. Golden Tate's one handed TD catch shows how to get it done. I mean far more obvious PI and much tougher catch and he gets it done.

I have been a huge Roberts supporter but at this point I see him moving on next year in FA and I won't be upset about that at all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a complete bogus Offensive PI on Fitz.

No way would I ever let Ellington return kicks. If the staff is worried about durability, then why risk injury on a play that causes the most injury in the league.

As far as Honey Badger and his tackling, all I have to way is technique. Brandon Merriwther needs to watch Honey Badger tackle to show you can make an impact tackling if done the right way instead of hitting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

The offensive interior line is horrible, that will change, but right now, any QB who is stepping up into that mess coming at him, is a brave soul in my book. To say Daryn Colledge had a good game is a bit much. I didn't see it, that is for sure. Our interior line was getting beaten pretty badly, but our tackles, especially in the run game were, as you say, getting after it. Again, I have yet to see or hear a reason why Sowell should not be resigned as this team's right guard in the offseason.

As for what is going on with Fitzgerald.......there is a reason everyone else is open. As for the offensive PI ? Bold call by the refs, bold call. Yet, there is no doubt, there is something not right going on with Fitzgerald.

On Palmer's fumble---he stood there too long and didn't step up where there was ample room when you look at the replay. I am watching his feet every play and I can assure you that Palmer is not stepping up way way more often. His feet are the problem.

You are so right about the TD pass to Roberts---Palmer stood in there like a champ.

I watched Mike Glennon last week versus the Seahawks and for a tall, relatively immobile target back there, his feet were textbook. Take a look at him tonight if you can and compare his feet to Palmer's.

As for Andre Roberts---one of the most commendable aspects of yesterday's win was to see how BA and the coaches used the bye week to improve and upgrade the TE and WR positions. The offense had a new commitment going this game---it was a very good orchestration by the coaches and players.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Palmer's fumble---he stood there too long and didn't step up where there was ample room when you look at the replay. I am watching his feet every play and I can assure you that Palmer is not stepping up way way more often. His feet are the problem.

You are right about the TD pass to Roberts---Palmer stood in there like a champ.

I watched Mike Glennon last week versus the Seahawks and for a tall, relatively immobile target back there, his feet were textbook. Take a look at him tonight if you can and compare his feet to Palmer's.

On the fumble, once Watts got half way there and Palmer had not moved an inch, I knew it was over. Watts is too quick and talented.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a complete bogus Offensive PI on Fitz.

No schizz, I was pissed as hell at that call because that happens on every passing play in the NFL.

Even worse, on the next possession, Johnson totally gives PP a forearm shiver to the face, right in FRONT of the guy who flagged Fitz and he doesn't call it, :mad:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the fumble, once Watts got half way there and Palmer had not moved an inch, I knew it was over. Watts is too quick and talented.

The OT had no help on that play. If you block JJ Watts one-on-one, that is the kind of stuff that happens.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OT had no help on that play. If you block JJ Watts one-on-one, that is the kind of stuff that happens.

Yup, and even so, if Palmer had steped up Watts still makes a play on the ball. He is too quick and we did a nice job of limiting his impact for most of the game.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1. It's always great to win when the ball wasn't bouncing your way (save the brilliant first series sack/strip by John Abraham and TD scoop by Matt Shaughnessy)---the two missed interceptions by Dansby (the second which caromed ahead to DeAndre Hawkins for a first down---weird), the regrettable interception thrown up for grabs on a 2nd and 5 in a tie game, the regrettable strip fumble by Carson Palmer where once again he refused to step up to avoid outside pressure, and held on to the ball too long---the inexcusable and totally lame fumble by Mendenhall whose primary job in that situation is ball security---the incredible TD by Andre Johnson that Patrick Peterson had in his hands---Heck---even the refs weren't helping much---the flag on the PI on Roberts down near the end zone came flying in from the side judge just before the ball arrives and the refs called it holding before the pass (5 yards instead of 25)---

Palmer sure is willing to take the hits. Let it never be said he does not have courage and he still has a strong arm. Dansby IMHO has been the best pick up of the year along with Abraham. If we ever get that illusive LT we will be a force to be reckoned with. There are several good looking QBs out there who may turn into another Wilson. Hope we can get one who can work with Palmer until he gives up the ghost. Palmer is playing better than I expected. We have already won as many games as we did all last year but have a tough schedule ahead. Our defense in the second half was really awsome and they took it to the young Houston QB. Wonder why we did not bring the
blitz in the first half? It clearly took the QB out of the game for Houston. If Fitz was not catching balls he was sure blocking. He is 100% in the game even if he is not the target. More often than not he also draws double coverage. He does not get much press but our kicker is a very important part of our offense. You can count on him.Yes I know he missed one 50 yd kick this year. At Arkansas we have an extremely good kicker named Zack Hocker. He is going to go in the draft somewhere. Probably Jerry Jones as he follows the Razorbacks very close. They are absolutely horrible this year and have not won one SEC game with our new coach from Wisconsin. Of course we have no QB. Our is a sophomore and he is horrible to be kind.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I sit 10 rows off the field and I zeroed in on Fitz for most of the game. That PI call was totally bogus and can't believe they called it on a veteran, future HOFer like Fitz. Nonsense...but of course, true to his character, Fitz never said one word to anyone about the call.

However, he is playing hurt... his hammy is definitely not right. Somehow, he is able to get it to a point where it doesn't appear he is doing any further damage. However, he is absolutely being compromised by it. His quickness/speed - which was always average at best - are being greatly diminished. He isn't able to make sharp cuts and come out of those cuts/breaks with the type of quickness and power he has always had when healthy.
Coupled with a scheme that doesn't place him in favorable positions & routes, he is clearly experiencing an even more frustrating season than last year... it's a bummer to watch...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I wonder if Larry is still suffering from a pulled muscle early on. He is not one who would tell you. His blocking paid for his game if nothing else. Other teams always put their best DB on Larry if not double team him. That tells you he still commands big time respect. His blocking continues to amaze me. He blocks standing straight up and does not try to put them on the ground but deter them from getting to the runner.

Fun game to watch. Mendenhall did make that awful fumble but he is a better back than we have had in some years. You can usually expect positive yards from him. He and Ellington are doing the job with a mediocre front line. Great to see SF lose. We still have to face Seattle and that monster back they have. He is an animal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My thoughts...

1-We are a safety away from having a very good defensive backfield. Peterson, Mathieu, and Powers have been various levels of good. What takes that defensive backfield to the next level is a versatile S who can make plays when Mathieu is playing in the slot.

2-Our offensive line needs to get more physical. I believe Cooper will help this and it is one of Watford's strengths, but we just can't set the front of the pocket.

3-I officially don't know what is going on with Fitzgerald, but there is something going on. I am not ready to put it on Fitz rather than Palmer, but he should not be struggling the way he has in Arians offense. At this point I probably still point to Palmer, but I am getting less certain.

4-Similar to the secondary, both the linebacking corp and defensive line are probably one player away from being really dominant. One really good edge rusher and young DE to sub for Campbell and Dockett and this thing could be very special.

5-Rosterly speaking, the offense is a mystery. We need to get better at so many positions it is a bit frustrating. RB might be the only position that has become pretty much set for the future. QB, TE, WR, OT, OG, C are all areas that need to be upgraded, and in terms of the draft, our options are slowly being taken away. QB and OT are quickly looking like reach areas in the 2014 mid 1st round and the best value may come at OLB and TE.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I wonder if Larry is still suffering from a pulled muscle early on. He is not one who would tell you. His blocking paid for his game if nothing else. Other teams always put their best DB on Larry if not double team him. That tells you he still commands big time respect. His blocking continues to amaze me. He blocks standing straight up and does not try to put them on the ground but deter them from getting to the runner.

Fun game to watch. Mendenhall did make that awful fumble but he is a better back than we have had in some years. You can usually expect positive yards from him. He and Ellington are doing the job with a mediocre front line. Great to see SF lose. We still have to face Seattle and that monster back they have. He is an animal.

The offensive line is the reason why we won this football game. Do you realize how difficult it is to block J.J. Watt and company? The line started imposing its will on the Texan's d-line in the 3rd and 4th quarters. To keep calling the o-line awful is flat-out wrong. They are busting their butts---and they have been getting the job done.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You are so right about the TD pass to Roberts---Palmer stood in there like a champ.

As for Andre Roberts---one of the most commendable aspects of yesterday's win was to see how BA and the coaches used the bye week to improve and upgrade the TE and WR positions. The offense had a new commitment going this game---it was a very good orchestration by the coaches and players.

All fair.

What was unfair is to say he refuses to do so. Cause if you really think that is the case, my retort is Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, and Paul Fanaika refuse to create a pocket for Palmer to step up into.

My beef is your labeling of intentions.

You wanna bash Palmer's footwork then fine, but I highly doubt he is TRYING to put himself in a bad position.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
To keep calling the o-line awful is flat-out wrong. They are busting their butts---and they have been getting the job done.

What ?

You want to give them an A for effort ? Yet, when it comes to Palmer you KNOW what the man is thinking ? Palmer is not busting his butt out there, he is not getting the job done ?

Whatever.

My reasoning to say the offensive line is awful, especially on the interior, is backed by 3 years of complete and total abysmal line play.

Funny. Every single QB the Cardinals have had over three years "refuses" to step up in the pocket, or have been killed when they do, yet you are touting the SAME talent level to stay on that offensive line ? So, if you don't think this line is awful, or bad, or what have you, then you would feel safe saying you would have no problems having this exact line going into next year ?

As for getting the job done ? How so ? Because we won ? I think the defense has a lot more to do with us winning then our offensive line. That and our fan-battered quarterback that is unflappable. He may not be anything but very average, but he does not let anything get to him out on that field. Hits, drops, INT's, fumbles, you name it. Palmer always comes back and continues to compete.

So, I say, you are wrong, and have far less to back up your point that the offensive line is anywhere close to good. If you are comfortable with the current line then great. I am not, and would not be the least bit upset if 4 out of the current 5 starters are not on the line at this time next season. Bradley Sowell, he is the only person, along with Eric Winston from time to time, "getting the job done" and "busting his butt".

I vote to agree to disagree until further notice.

Good post by the way :D

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The offensive line is the reason why we won this football game. Do you realize how difficult it is to block J.J. Watt and company? The line started imposing its will on the Texan's d-line in the 3rd and 4th quarters. To keep calling the o-line awful is flat-out wrong. They are busting their butts---and they have been getting the job done.

They are so NOT the reason we won this game... They helped for sure. But they also continue to make it way more difficult than need be.
The reason we won this game, just like the rest of our victories, is because of our defense. They held Keenum to 42 yards passing the entire second half. Most of which came at the end of the 4th quarter!

Our o-line is still a weakness on this team... Are they improving? Slightly... ever so slightly... but don't kid yourself. We won this game because we completely shut down Houston's offense in the 2nd half... Oh, and Bethel's blocked FG proved to be a game winner!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree that the line is going a much better job than last and the funny part is that I do not think the line is actaully improved from a talent stand point this year. I think it is was coaching and scheming. Is Winton better than Massie and Fanaika that much better than Snyder. Sowell is the only one really impressing me so far. Not sure if that is why we won the game though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Fitz is not healthy but I also think it's about time someone said stop forcing the ball to him when palmer had 14 picks goign into the game.

The one yesterday the announcers immediately blamed on Housler not fighting for the ball, which is true, but it was again a bad throw. First he wasn't open, 2nd he was on the outside and Palmer threw it to the inside where the DB was. I don't even care if Housler ran the wrong pattern, when Palmer threw the ball, he knew where Housler was and he still threw it inside instead of outside. I'm getting tired of hearing they're not on the same page, throw the ball where the defense isn't. Even the TD to Roberts where he got hit he didn't throw the ball out in front where nobody was, but Roberts was able to get it.

Palmer's ball placement has been bad all year, yes it would be great if we had Andre Johnson turning tipped balls into TD passes but if you're going to throw a jump ball at least put it where the DB doesn't have the advantage.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To put it in context, we gave up 58 sacks last year, which was dead last. This year, we have given up 24 in 9 games for a pace of 42. That ties us for 16th most or least, how ever you want to look at it. That is a sack less a game over last year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
2-Our offensive line needs to get more physical. I believe Cooper will help this and it is one of Watford's strengths, but we just can't set the front of the pocket.

How do you know this ?

Brought to you by the "Bradley Sowell for right guard in 2014" committee.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake