Mort Just Said Leinart to Start!

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
This is not gonna happen! Warner will be starting not sure where Mort gets his info but it is unreliable at best! And thank god it is because Leinart starting means our season is over already, and I for one am not willing to call it a season after 3 games.

Finally a voice of reasoning. You guys are like school girls with a crush on the high school QB. All ready to tank another season after 3 games. I'm a cards fan and will hope for the best but even Leinert said he had the best situation in AZ. He gets to sit and learn from a super bowl MVP. The problem is still the OL. But switching QB's will fix that I guess.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has shades of DG starting Navarre in Detroit only to have him get injured and be a total loss for his career. Atl is not the place I would think they would start Leinart. Really would be a headscratcher, but thats the Cardinals for ya.

The only thing that Leinart and Navarre have in common is the putting on of pants.

The Shark

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has shades of DG starting Navarre in Detroit only to have him get injured and be a total loss for his career. Atl is not the place I would think they would start Leinart. Really would be a headscratcher, but thats the Cardinals for ya.

No, I think this is a good move. See how he plays against the BEST competition. Now, if he plays well, we know we have someone to hang our hat on. Starting him against crap defenses like Green Bay or Oakland wouldn't mean much.

You can't be afraid and win. I don't think Leinart is afraid of Atlanta.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I told my wife when she asked "When does Matt play?". If you see Matt playing this season, something went horribly wrong

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
it's not like Atlanta is an Offensive machine. If the D can keep us in the game we have a good chance here. Let's give the kid some support.

Positive vibes! POSITIVE VIBES!!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If Green makes this move it will just confirm he is a total idiot coach when it comes to running this team!!!

You'd prefer to start a guy that is averaging 4 potential turnovers a game

Even before yesterday's debacle, he was still averaging 4 potential turnovers a game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad for this (if true) because it is just about the only way to get the team rallied back together. It was clear from the post game quotes that there was dissention building, and we could have gone another week with Kurt and made a decision then.

Doing this immediately however says a few things:

1. The Leinart era has officially begun -- No easing it in there...the team is saying not only he's the guy of the future, but they feel he gives us the better chance to win.

2. The grousing of some members of the team is addressed -- Edge will get a lot more looks in the passing game (which is needed).

3. Matt will have more time to learn, should get all reps this week and not be forced into a "Kurt is sucking and benched at halftime, go get em Matt" type situation.

4. The inevitable is not being delayed...the team and staff still feel we have a chance to win it. Waiting a few more games (losses) and Matt comes in to learn and play...now he's coming in, in a sense, in a savior role. Not to say that he IS one, but he's not coming in under a "hell, we're done so let's start Hollywood." He's coming in as the better chance to win games.

5. Rookie mistakes will be being made by a rookie, not by a veteran.

6. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will chant "we want Navarre" in the stands.

7. Matt is a natural leader, runs a crisp two minute drill and already has team leaders in his corner in Edge. I don't think you'll see a lackadasical offense in time-sensitive situations...Matt will have them moving.

8. We may cut back on the playbook a bit to help Matt ease in, and I think that is a GOOD thing. There are mistakes being made all over the field, and with our weapons we don't need as deep of a playbook...just good plays well executed. This I think is an overlooked aspect of Matt starting; I don't think they are going to ask him to run play 128, but they will ask him to run plays 1-50 and run them damn well.

Tim

Reaction score
Finally a voice of reasoning. You guys are like school girls with a crush on the high school QB. All ready to tank another season after 3 games. I'm a cards fan and will hope for the best but even Leinert said he had the best situation in AZ. He gets to sit and learn from a super bowl MVP. The problem is still the OL. But switching QB's will fix that I guess.

Why is the problem always the o-line? Warner was sacked once and Edge ran for almost 4 yards a carry, and the problem is still the oline? The oline looked fine yesterday. Warner didn't. He made bad decisions (there were a few more that were close to being picked), he doesn't hold onto the ball with two hands in the pocket, and he freezes when he should be getting rid of the ball.

The Cards lost the game yesterday because their QB turned the ball over 3 times in (or near) the red zone. Typically rookie QB's don't play because you are afraid that they can't protect the ball. Since Warner has shown that he isn't very good at protecting the ball too, what is the downside of playing your franchise QB who looked very poised in the preseason?

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Now what does this do for our O-line? It makes Oliver Ross more important because he's gotta protect Matt's blind side. Isn't pass protection supposed to be Ross' weakness? I wonder if we'll see more movement on the line because of this move.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now what does this do for our O-line? It makes Oliver Ross more important because he's gotta protect Matt's blind side. Isn't pass protection supposed to be Ross' weakness? I wonder if we'll see more movement on the line because of this move.

Maybe we shouldn't read too much into one game. But, Ross did very well against Little yesterday. The line actually played respectable. The last thing I would do is juggle the line AGAIN and start a new QB!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
You guys are delusional, this teams season is only just begun and we want to hand it over to a rookie backup that is college tested but hasn't faced NFL defenses and you want to start him on the road in Atlanta. I say bad move. I say starting Shaun King bad....thats how bad I think this move is. I am not buying it. DG might as well pack up now if he starts him in Atl. If we suck next week and Warner is junk then start Leinart at home.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
You guys are delusional, this teams season is only just begun and we want to hand it over to a rookie backup that is college tested but hasn't faced NFL defenses and you want to start him on the road in Atlanta. I say bad move. I say starting Shaun King bad....thats how bad I think this move is. I am not buying it. DG might as well pack up now if he starts him in Atl. If we suck next week and Warner is junk then start Leinart at home.

That's not very positive.

I thought I said POSITIVE VIBES!

We'll win.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Anyone confirm this?

I received a text message from azcentral today saying Green left the possibility of benching Warner but that is all.

No confirmation as of yet. Even when he was reporting the news I couldn't tell if he was just speculating or that he had inside information.

However if you read between the lines of what Green said at his press conference, it points to Warner being benched

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Matt can probably get rid of the ball faster and cleaner that Kurt (oh yeah.... and not fumble 5 times) which is what you have to do against an agressive D like Atlanta.

My thought exactly, Lienart will use Edge to dump off the ball more efectively.

I'm ready, lets get the new era started.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Expecting a guy that has fumbled 8 times and thrown 4 INTs to suddenly take care of the ball against a good ATL team is delusional.

Leinart at least deserves a shot. Its not like he could play much worse

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone confirm this?

I received a text message from azcentral today saying Green left the possibility of benching Warner but that is all.

I heard on the radio that Green doesn't announce personnel decisions till Wednesdays of normal NFL weeks (if they play Sun). We know that Green always does stuff like this on Mondays (Warner/McCown debacle). I think it would be a mistake to start Leinart this soon, especially in this situation

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, but Atl may plan for the dump off and challenge Matt to beat them down field.

Then they can get front row seats to the gun show:

You must be registered for see images