Mort Just Said Leinart to Start!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unreal. Giving up on Warner so quickly. Sheesh.

so quickly? We've watched him be just good enough to lose games last year and single handedly lose games for us this year. The guy is what? 3-11 as a starter and 9-23 as a starter in his laast 32 games? He's washed up - has been for about four years.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Doing this immediately however says a few things:

1. The Leinart era has officially begun -- No easing it in there...the team is saying not only he's the guy of the future, but they feel he gives us the better chance to win.

Maybe it's more Leinart gives a less likely chance to loose......

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until I hear it from Green or see Matt out there I am not sure I buy it...although Green is much cozier and more candid with the national guys, especially the ESPN guys.

I think this is a mistake, but I understand why it is being done, if it really is.

While the OL did better, I too fear Ross having Leinarts back but we shall see.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Leinart is as good as we all hope, we'll probably need Warner to play sometime later in the season. Hopefully, they work together and put the team first.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Forget about Shaun King...Forget about Josh McCown...Forget about John Navarre...we are talking about the most NFL ready college QB to come out in a long time, Matt Leinart!

What we will immediately see is a smoother offense...niftier footwork in the pocket...and an equal distributor of the ball.

This offense isn't that sophisticated...with the talent everywhere in the skill positions, Leinart will have to commit himself to hitting the open man and playing smart football.

He can get a good look at Atlanta's defense tonight...and see its strengths and weaknesses.

Atlanta is playing on a short week...and tonight's game should be emotional and physical...let's hope they burn a lot of energy in this one.

For those of you bemoaning Warner's demotion...consider this...Warner's troubles began in the second half of the 49er game...it was his uneven play and gift fumble on the six yard line that got the 49ers back into the game...and since then Warner has done more to hurt the Cardinals than help them. When one plays like that...no matter who it is...he doesn't deserve any mulligans...not after 2 1/2 shabby game performances.

This time around, Green's decision to hand Leinart the reins is first-rate. It will give the team a spark and some sorely needed optimism going into the Atlanta game, after suffering through the agony and embarrassment of yesterday's gift loss to the Rams.

The Cards may not win the game in Atlanta...noone would expect them to. But, getting Leinart's feet wet is the best thing the Cardinals can do to pave the way for a new era of Cardinal football.

As some of you so eloquently said, let the new era begin!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
That article is lame. 90% of the article is the exact same as a previous ESPN article that merely said that Green was non-committal.

True but he is reporting this because he has inside information - SUPPOSEDLY

Green was non-commital but its inside sources such as people in the PR dept that usually let the news slip out early

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has shades of DG starting Navarre in Detroit only to have him get injured and be a total loss for his career. Atl is not the place I would think they would start Leinart. Really would be a headscratcher, but thats the Cardinals for ya.

well I'd argue that Navarre's injury had nothing to do with his career being a total loss he just sucks.:D

I'm fine with this, I saw highlights on NFL network and frankly there's no way in hell I think warner was "fine" like he said and we have no way of knowing if he won't be fuzzy again next week.

That pick to Witherspoon he actually said Pope was open in the back of the endzone but the ball "got away from me", I've seen it twice now and I don't even know where Pope is, he may well be open, but he's not even close to where Warner threw the ball and untouched how does it "get away" that badly? I just think Warner was really out of it after that big hit and frankly I'd rather see him sit, rest, use the bye and then make the decison for who starts the 5th game.

If Leinart plays well he keeps the job, if he doesn't Warner gets it back having had 2 weeks to clear his head?

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Forget about Shaun King...Forget about Josh McCown...Forget about John Navarre...we are talking about the most NFL ready college QB to come out in a long time, Matt Leinart!

What we will immediately see is a smoother offense...niftier footwork in the pocket...and an equal distributor of the ball.

This offense isn't that sophisticated...with the talent everywhere in the skill positions, Leinart will have to commit himself to hitting the open man and playing smart football.

He can get a good look at Atlanta's defense tonight...and see its strengths and weaknesses.

Atlanta is playing on a short week...and tonight's game should be emotional and physical...let's hope they burn a lot of energy in this one.

For those of you bemoaning Warner's demotion...consider this...Warner's troubles began in the second half of the 49er game...it was his uneven play and gift fumble on the six yard line that got the 49ers back into the game...and since then Warner has done more to hurt the Cardinals than help them. When one plays like that...no matter who it is...he doesn't deserve any mulligans...not after 2 1/2 shabby game performances.

This time around, Green's decision to hand Leinart the reins is first-rate. It will give the team a spark and some sorely needed optimism going into the Atlanta game, after suffering through the agony and embarrassment of yesterday's gift loss to the Rams.

The Cards may not win the game in Atlanta...noone would expect them to. But, getting Leinart's feet wet is the best thing the Cardinals can do to pave the way for a new era of Cardinal football.

As some of you so eloquently said, let the new era begin!

:raccoon:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
That pick to Witherspoon he actually said Pope was open in the back of the endzone but the ball "got away from me", I've seen it twice now and I don't even know where Pope is, he may well be open, but he's not even close to where Warner threw the ball and untouched how does it "get away" that badly? I just think Warner was really out of it after that big hit and frankly I'd rather see him sit, rest, use the bye and then make the decison for who starts the 5th game.

Our bye week isn't until week 9

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Stat of the Week

From Peter King's MMQB column today:

Stat of the Week
Number of games it took Dan Marino to throw for 20,000 yards: 75.
Number of games it took Kurt Warner to throw for 20,000 yards: 76.

Starting on Sunday, we'll see how long it takes Leinart. ;)

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our bye week isn't until week 9

damn you and your facts!:D Why was I thinking bye was 5th week?

Oh well, nevermind, carryon. Still like Matt starting to let Kurt clear his head and quite honestly hopefully take the job.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are delusional, this teams season is only just begun and we want to hand it over to a rookie backup that is college tested but hasn't faced NFL defenses and you want to start him on the road in Atlanta. I say bad move. I say starting Shaun King bad....thats how bad I think this move is. I am not buying it. DG might as well pack up now if he starts him in Atl. If we suck next week and Warner is junk then start Leinart at home.

I have two words to say.....

Ben Roethldsfhfhrewyfberger. That decision didn't turn out so bad.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
well I'd argue that Navarre's injury had nothing to do with his career being a total loss he just sucks.:D

I'm fine with this, I saw highlights on NFL network and frankly there's no way in hell I think warner was "fine" like he said and we have no way of knowing if he won't be fuzzy again next week.

If Leinart plays well he keeps the job, if he doesn't Warner gets it back having had 2 weeks to clear his head?
You apparantly havn't seen many of the replays. On that pass to Pope, Leonard Little came off the edge around O. Ross and hit Warners elbow as he was throwing making the pass go down like it was being thrown to Coakley. It was not fuzzy thinking on Warners part, he fumbles, that is just what he does. Milford Brown caused the fumble that lost the game for us. Jude La Cava slow mowed it last night and showed both plays and how they happened. Resting Warner might work if we weren't at the beginning of a season and we had a tested Back Up. But, OOPs we have a college Qb that is going to be very good, but difficult to tell that he will come in and play lights out against one of the better defenses in the league. I see alot of 3 and outs and several TO again. I would wait to get him going if Warner is bad in Atl. Leinart can be gearing up for a home start when we are 1-3. If were 2-2 then he can stand at the ready. He is however not ready to go today in ATL IMO.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I have two words to say.....

Ben Roethldsfhfhrewyfberger. That decision didn't turn out so bad.

Sorry, but we do not just hand the ball off and throw only on 3rd down. Ben had it very conveinant in that offense. Leinart with our heavy hitters being Boldin and Fitz would need to throw the ball alot more than Ben did. Bad comparison.