My thoughts on Cards Offense

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiologist
I never said "remove the play or catch". What I said was remove the run after the catch. Because Blake had nothing to do with it and it inflated his yards passed and QB rating.

If you are basing Blake's stats off of what Jake Bummer did you will be happy, but if you base Blake's numbers (minus Boldin's run after the catch) his numbers are merely average at best.

I don't have much faith in Blake. He will have good games every now and then, but normally he will play slightly below average - average ... which is an improvement from what was here. The difference is that the previous QB had a more experienced WRs corps to rescue him.

So you missed or ignored Russ's point about hitting a receiver in stride so they have a chance to put up yards after the catch? McNabb and Plummer are examples of QB's who struggle with accuracy so they limit the YAC yards their WR's can get.

Owens is a player who gets a ton of his yards after the catch. You can't just ignore or take away these yards from a QB's stats. I agree with your point when it comes to screens but not crossing patterns etc.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
just curious, take away all those 50 yard runs by jerry rice after montanas 10 yard slant passes and what would joes numbers look like. just curious.

Redleg

Reaction score
Since none of us are happy about anything let me just add this:

Not enough cheese on my nachos!:D

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
the calls will get in on time...

this Sunday. There will be less false starts by AC. That's because it's going to be NICE & QUIET at SDS... I'll be one of the 20,000....

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
1) I did not miss Russ' point about hitting the Boldin in stride. The bottom line is that Boldin made that run possible, not Blake. Blake was the beneficiary of Boldin's talent on that run. Other then throwing a ball to the side for a few yards, Blake did nothing.

2) Montana's career is judged on his overall career, not just one play in one game. Let's judge Blake on his overall career instead of this one game in which his QB rating is inflated because of Boldin's run. Blake's career overall, is average ... and that's being kind.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
blake is a good qb who has played for bad teams and especially coaches, coslett in particular.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
blake is a good qb who has played for bad teams and especially coaches, coslett in particular.

Isn't Coslett the coach that let his daughter pick the offensive plays because she got a good report card?

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiologist
1) I did not miss Russ' point about hitting the Boldin in stride. The bottom line is that Boldin made that run possible, not Blake. Blake was the beneficiary of Boldin's talent on that run. Other then throwing a ball to the side for a few yards, Blake did nothing.

2) Montana's career is judged on his overall career, not just one play in one game. Let's judge Blake on his overall career instead of this one game in which his QB rating is inflated because of Boldin's run. Blake's career overall, is average ... and that's being kind.

If you want to look at it that way then you have to look at it the other way to. Boldins stats were padded becuase Blake got the ball to him in stride 10 times. If it wasnt for Blakes good throw Boldin wouldnt have had a chance to get off his good run. The long td run was a process of steps(good throw in stride so Boldin doesnt slow down, then Boldins good moves to avoid 2 tackles) and Blake was a big part of that. So I would say that they were a beneficiary of each others talents. Without Blakes good throw no run for boldin, without Boldins run no stats for Blake. You see this is a team sport WR's feed off of QB's and vice versa. Its a team sport so one guys stats is another guys success.

With your reasoning Sacks should be taken away from guys who go untouched into the backfield becuase of a missed block. Just doesnt make sense.

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
We'll just have to disagree on Blake and his stats and let the rest of the season be the judge of who is right and who is wrong.

Now about Blake being a good QB ... we'll just have to disagree about that as well. Blakes has had 2 good seasons. The rest have been average at best.

I will give him that he has had 1/16th of a good season this year. Maybe this will be his 3rd good NFL season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05