Nash Re-signs: 2 years, $22m

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So people here were willing to trade Nash for a "young package" without even knowing what would be included in that package?

Let's see: how about Blake, Outlaw and Batum? The Suns were not very successful at getting value in return for Shaq, could not get a good deal for Amare, so what makes anyone think that Portland was offering anything better?

The Suns were offered garbage for Shaq, garbage for Amare and likely garbage for Nash. The one thing I know about Nash, he has given the Suns his absolute best. I guess returning this loyalty is too much to ask for some Suns fans. The Suns don't have the pieces to win a Championship now and Nash is not the reason.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So people here were willing to trade Nash for a "young package" without even knowing what would be included in that package?

Let's see: how about Blake, Outlaw and Batum? The Suns were not very successful at getting value in return for Shaq, could not get a good deal for Amare, so what makes anyone think that Portland was offering anything better?
Thats not the point. At least not from where I stand on the issue. I don't know about how important it would be for others here to get fair market value in return for Nash.
I'd have settled for Bayless/Outlaw/cash/future irrelevant pick....and not because i dislike Nash or anything.
IMO among the three(Shaq/Amare/Nash)...#13 is probably the safest guy for other teams to bring in. Shaq's body is older and more prone to injury than Steve's,and Amare's future is still a big question mark with the eye injury etc...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not the point. At least not from where I stand on the issue. I don't know about how important it would be for others here to get fair market value in return for Nash.
I'd have settled for Bayless/Outlaw/cash/future irrelevant pick....and not because i dislike Nash or anything.

It appears you are saying that you would rather have some marginal players for Nash just so you can say the Suns are rebuilding with youth.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It appears you are saying that you would rather have some marginal players for Nash just so you can say the Suns are rebuilding with youth.
Young,marginal players sure....and no....not so i can say anything.....but because IMO it makes sense to rebuild an aging team thats already given it's best shot at winning a title. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young,marginal players sure....and no....not so i can say anything.....but because IMO it makes sense to rebuild an aging team thats already given it's best shot at winning a title. :)

I just don't understand your logic. If the Suns could trade Nash for say a player like Chris Paul, I would understand it and so would Steve Nash. I do think the Suns will try to trade Amare for youth.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just don't understand your logic. If the Suns could trade Nash for say a player like Chris Paul, I would understand it and so would Steve Nash. I do think the Suns will try to trade Amare for youth.
Well yeah of course that would be a good thing....we aren't(weren't) going to get the caliber player of a CP3 in return for Nash. You lost me my friend.

I'm just being realistic and have no problem getting lowballed for Shaq and Nash in terms of trades. When rebuilding obviously you try to make the transition as smooth as possible but it doesn't always work out that way(unless you're Portland or the Lakers) :bang:

Our assets were Shaq,Nash(and still JRich IMO) so you try to get what you can in the name of rebuilding. Put some money into your team scouting and coaching instead of old,overpaid contracts like Nash,JRich and Shaq. Let Hill walk and try to build something using the young men already here.

From the movie Rio Bravo:
When sheriff John T. Chance explains to his buddy that he has basically a crippled old man and a town drunk to help him guard his jail his buddy ask's: "Thats all you've got?"
Sheriff replies: "That's what i've got."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah of course that would be a good thing....we aren't(weren't) going to get the caliber player of a CP3 in return for Nash. You lost me my friend.

Of course not. We agree on this. I'm just making a point. One only makes a trade to improve the team... or this is the way it should be.

I'm just being realistic and have no problem getting lowballed for Shaq and Nash in terms of trades. When rebuilding obviously you try to make the transition as smooth as possible but it doesn't always work out that way(unless you're Portland or the Lakers) :bang:

Personally I am tired of the Suns being taken behind the wood shed.

Our assets were Shaq,Nash(and still JRich IMO) so you try to get what you can in the name of rebuilding. Put some money into your team scouting and coaching instead of old,overpaid contracts like Nash,JRich and Shaq. Let Hill walk and try to build something using the young men already here.

A team is built with the right combination of players not just random acquisitions. Youth for the sake of youth is not a viable strategy There needs to be a plan. Not just acquiring leftovers from some other team.

When sheriff John T. Chance explains to his buddy that he has basically a crippled old man and a town drunk to help him guard his jail his buddy ask's: "Thats all you've got?"

I'm what you got. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Sheriff replies: "That's what i've got."

I was going to prepare a long diatribe against your opinion, but you ended your post with a Rio Bravo quote, so I don't have the heart in it anymore. :D

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cly2tw nice to know you still taking jabs at me even though I didn't even post in the thread! This is not a bad move by the Suns clearly Nash was a better option than any deals that were discussed, as some others have mentioned just getting younger players is not a good enough reason to do trades. This team can still be pretty good truth is the players believe it and well we don't really know since Amare went down very quickly when Gentry took over. At the very least they will be a very fun team to watch and not totally suck, if you don't like it...do us all a favor and don't watch or comment on them!

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What really concerns me is the 3 million of deferred money each year. I have seen deferred salaries absolutely destroy the DBacks for years.

If Sarver can't pay the salary then don't sign him to a deal. Or better yet, just sell the team.

Nightmare scenario for the fans.

"The Phoenix Suns trade their 2012 first round pick for $3 million dollars so they can cover Nash's salary, whom is no longer on the team."

:barf::computer:

Is Sarver's motive for deferring some of Nash's salary because he couldn't pay him? Or because it will allow them more flexibility in free agent market next offseason. Does this make Sarver more open to paying the luxury tax over the 2 extended years because he won't be paying Nash those $3 million during those years?

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
cly2tw nice to know you still taking jabs at me even though I didn't even post in the thread! This is not a bad move by the Suns clearly Nash was a better option than any deals that were discussed, as some others have mentioned just getting younger players is not a good enough reason to do trades. This team can still be pretty good truth is the players believe it and well we don't really know since Amare went down very quickly when Gentry took over. At the very least they will be a very fun team to watch and not totally suck, if you don't like it...do us all a favor and don't watch or comment on them!

hahah. I was congratulating you, kinda. I followed the Suns all the time, not liking Marion's game. Nash wouldn't deter me either.:D There is hope he might see the light and turn himself into Stockton. Then, there is all hope for the Suns.;)

cly2tw

Reaction score
/?

Is Sarver's motive for deferring some of Nash's salary because he couldn't pay him? Or because it will allow them more flexibility in free agent market next offseason. Does this make Sarver more open to paying the luxury tax over the 2 extended years because he won't be paying Nash those $3 million during those years?

Maybe he was considering trading Nash sometime before the contract expiration? Maybe Nash want some say in such trade by forcing them to pay the 3m right away if he didn't like the destination?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure Portland did what every other team dealing with the Suns this year has done. We will give you a crap player or players or crap picks for your players. When is the last time we heard of any legit trade scenario bringing back anything substantial in return? Now we have teams like GS punking the Suns.

In terms of this extension, we overpaid. By about 3 Million IMO. I don't understand the team direction. This team clearly is not a contender. So, was this move to try and hold on to some season ticket base? If so, I will guarantee if this team continues to take a nose dive, Suns fans will jump ship like the Suns are the :titanic:. Only us die hards will stick it out.

Bayless, Rudy, and a 1st.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nope. Deferred salary counts now against the cap. The only reason you do it is because you can't afford to pay it.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Nope. Deferred salary counts now against the cap. The only reason you do it is because you can't afford to pay it.

Sigh. And I can guarantee you we won't be reading about any signings that were made possible by Nash taking the deferral.

This deferral is one of the worst signs yet of a no money highly incompetent Management team.

F U Sarver. Sell the team. Your taking the crown jewel of Phoenix sports and turning it into the Pre 2005 Arizona Cardinals.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sigh. And I can guarantee you we won't be reading about any signings that were made possible by Nash taking the deferral.

This deferral is one of the worst signs yet of a no money highly incompetent Management team.

F U Sarver. Sell the team. Your taking the crown jewel of Phoenix sports and turning it into the Pre 2005 Arizona Cardinals.

LOL

Do you people understand the state of the economy right now? I guess not. Even if Sarver wanted to sell the team, you'd need a buyer--and I can guarantee you there are very few buyers that will pay what the team is worth. It's not easy, no matter how much you like to think it is, because, hey, it's not YOUR money they're dealing with...

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head Chap.

There's an article on ESPN right now that has a quote from a GM saying "If the luxury tax drops to $61 Million the league is screwed." Teams will be forced to give up players left & right.

Edit: My point is, it's a league wide problem. Not just a Suns problem. The Lakers, Celts, Blazers, & Magic are anomalies. Kind of like the Yankees and Red Sox in Baseball. Don't expect every team to spend way over the cap & LT like they do.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayless, Rudy, and a 1st.

Not sure I beleive that but I personally would consider that deal.

You hit the nail on the head Chap.

There's an article on ESPN right now that has a quote from a GM saying "If the luxury tax drops to $61 Million the league is screwed." Teams will be forced to give up players left & right.

Edit: My point is, it's a league wide problem. Not just a Suns problem. The Lakers, Celts, Blazers, & Magic are anomalies. Kind of like the Yankees and Red Sox in Baseball. Don't expect every team to spend way over the cap & LT like they do.

True it is a league wide problem. However, lets not pretend that the Suns have not mismanaged salaries, trades, picks etc.. in the Sarver era. This problem might be league wide but having an Owner and GM who don't appear to have any sense of running a team doesn't help matters.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

True it is a league wide problem. However, lets not pretend that the Suns have not mismanaged salaries, trades, picks etc.. in the Sarver era. This problem might be league wide but having an Owner and GM who don't appear to have any sense of running a team doesn't help matters.

But it's also not exclusive to the Suns either. There are several owners in the NBA (and in other sports) that are bad at running a franchise.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's also not exclusive to the Suns either. There are several owners in the NBA (and in other sports) that are bad at running a franchise.

Completely agree with that statement but most of us here only care how the Suns are being run right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Right, but it never used to be the case that Suns fans had to say, "Our franchise is poorly run, but so are some others." They've always been an example of how to do things right, instead of falling victim to trends of incompetence.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no inside knowledge of what the offer was. That's just what I brainstormed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05