Nash's play makes him valuable as in MVP

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA today has an article about Steve. I am not going to copy the entire thing but here are some highlights. My favorite is the last.

PHOENIX — Turn back the clock a dozen years, and Steve Nash, maestro of the sweet-shooting, fast-flying Phoenix Suns, was getting what Tim Hardaway says is a "butt-kicking" on the summer playgrounds.

"We used to kind of like beat up on him," says Tim Hardaway, a former NBA All-Star point guard. "But he came back every day for that butt-kicking. He grew from that. He learned a lot from us and never lost his confidence. I think he put all of our games into his own, and it's one complete game."

"He's got a little bit of everybody great in him," former Suns all-star point guard Kevin Johnson says. "He's unique. He's going to be the player we say others are going to remind them of."

"Steve has no weaknesses whatsoever," says Bob Cousy, the former Boston Celtics star. "If he wins the MVP three years in a row, you can bet that record will never be broken."

Former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey says Nash is "the nightmare on Elm Street times 10."

Remarkably, his statistics this season — career-high averages in points (19.3), assists and shooting from inside and outside the three-point line — are better than last, which for the most part were better than the previous year. Even more remarkable: He had two 15-assist, no-turnover games in the latest streak.

Bob Cousy: "He's an old-school guard. He'd fit into our '50s game, absolutely."

Mark Jackson: "He's the best to ever play the pick-and-roll. … He's a prober. What's so important, playing the pick-and-roll, is not deciding, until the decision is made for you, what play to make. He's so good at waiting to make the decision. He allows the defense to make the decision.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE:

Nate Archibald: "Point guards have to be a little crazy. I saw Steve Nash show up at a New York playground, and he was on roller skates like all the other crazies in New York. He took his skates off, played on the court, put his skates back on and left."

OMG. :biglaugh:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/suns/2007-02-07-nash-cover_x.htm

Last edited:

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I’m just disappointed that they can never get Magic Johnson or John Stockton to comment for these interviews. Has anyone ever read their comments anywhere in regards to Nash?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just disappointed that they can never get Magic Johnson or John Stockton to comment for these interviews. Has anyone ever read their comments anywhere in regards to Nash?

Magic Johnson has made some glowing comments about Nash on his guest stints on TNT. He said that Nash sees the floor as good as anybody who has ever played guard in the NBA. I would say that is a pretty good comment.

John Stockton?? Is he still alive? I don't think he has done a single interview since retiring has he?

Last edited:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mark Jackson: "He's the best to ever play the pick-and-roll. … He's a prober. What's so important, playing the pick-and-roll, is not deciding, until the decision is made for you, what play to make. He's so good at waiting to make the decision. He allows the defense to make the decision.

. . . Better than Stockton? That's quite a compliment. The top five passers (that come to mind) I have ever seen are Magic, Stockton, Nash, Kidd, and Mark Jackson (in no particular order).

Note: I tried to find some Stockton quotes regarding Nash, but failed.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
. . . Better than Stockton? That's quite a compliment. The top five passers (that come to mind) I have ever seen are Magic, Stockton, Nash, Kidd, and Mark Jackson (in no particular order).

Note: I tried to find some Stockton quotes regarding Nash, but failed.

Like I said....is he still alive?? :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash is a poor defender so I would never have voted for him as mvp. But then, neither Magic nor Bird played much defense either.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, do you have to be a good defender to be an MVP??

I think you should have to be marginally competent, at the least. Steve Nash is a liability on defense.

My mvp votes right now would be something like this:
1. Dirk Nowitsky (pardon the spelling)
2. Tracy McGrady
3. Chris Bosch (spelling again)
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Amare Stoudemire

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should have to be marginally competent, at the least. Steve Nash is a liability on defense.

2. Tracy McGrady
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Amare Stoudemire

You vote Nowitzki MVP immediately after saying you should be marginally competent on defense???????????????????? You say Nash doesn't deserve MVP because of his defense yet Nowitzki should get it?? Nowitzkis defense is the definition of incompetent.

Nowitzki is one of the worst post defenders in the NBA. In fact, he IS a liability on defense.

It's well known that Nash isn't a good defender because he helps too much. For some reason he won't change that about his game and it leads to him being out of position too often.

And you don't even have nash as a current top-5 candidate??? Good thing that's your opinion and yours only

Last edited:

Nashfan

Rookie
Reaction score

2. Tracy McGrady
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Amare Stoudemire

I don't think Dirk, Tracy, Bosch and Bryant play that great of defense, especially this year any better than Nash. Nash is second on our team in charges and he is a great help defender. I also don't think that is a quality you necessarily have to have to be considered an MVP.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash is one of the top guys in the league at drawing charges. He has trouble keeping quick PG's out of the paint, but so does every other PG in the league. I really can't think of a single lock-down defensive starting PG, Gary Payton used to be under the old rules where you could hand check & grab guys, but not anymore. I think Nash has made huge improvements in his defense over the last 2 years. He moves his feet much better to try to stay in front of his man and like I stated before, he's great at getting the charging call.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash must be crazy to show up on a New York playground in roller skates saying "NEXT". :lol:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You vote Nowitzki MVP immediately after saying you should be marginally competent on defense???????????????????? You say Nash doesn't deserve MVP because of his defense yet Nowitzki should get it?? Nowitzkis defense is the definition of incompetent.

Nowitzki is one of the worst post defenders in the NBA. In fact, he IS a liability on defense.

It's well known that Nash isn't a good defender because he helps too much. For some reason he won't change that about his game and it leads to him being out of position too often.

And you don't even have nash as a current top-5 candidate??? Good thing that's your opinion and yours only
Yup, pretty much sums up what I would have said.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not gonna say anything b/c I'll just get bashed. . . but I want to. . but I won't.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
The question when handing Nash out an MVP award this year will be... does Nash make his team or does his team make him look better? When you have as many athletic freaks and shooters (two all-stars) to dish out dimes to you have a pretty good team to run your offense with. Should Nash be penalized for this? Well... the knock on Nowitzki last year was his team was too 'deep'. Phoenix is just as deep and talented this year as Dallas last year so it's kind of hypocritical to give Nash another MVP in that sense.

Nash is the system in Phoenix, without him the athletic freaks would have to work a lot harder for their shots. But on the other hand without his athletic freaks... where would Nash be with his numbers? Give him Dampier, Chris Webber, Grant Hill, and Michael Finley and you won't see his game run as smoothly and easily. So I guess the point is, Phoenix did a terrific job centering the team to maximize Nash's abilities and the team can be largely attributed to Nash's excellent stats. Combine that with his lack of defense (I don't know how you guys perceive his D) and i'd say this year belongs... Kobe. Probably Kobe, he's clearly making his team better (just like Nash) and working with a hell of a lot less. Nash is a victim of circumstance here with his great team.

I would also give Dirk a mention for his team having the best record in the league (not Arenas though, not in that East). The best player on the best team argument is always valid, especially if they are head and shoulders better than the rest (all except Phoenix at this point anyway), but as my above argument states Phoenix is just a well constructed team and one player should not garner all the credit. They make each other.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Just checkout today's game against Atlanta and you will see how the team is struggling without Nash. Maybe they are doing it on purpose to help Steve get the 3rd MVP ;)

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
does Nash make his team or does his team make him look better? When you have as many athletic freaks and shooters (two all-stars) to dish out dimes to you have a pretty good team to run your offense with.

Well, Amare is there this year.... Still, I just don't understand this sort of comment. Even my wife, who never watches basketball, sees a game where Nash has things rolling and is just astounded. Many of his assists don't require 'freaks' for their follow-through; they're just perfect passes, perfectly set up by his dribble maneuvers. Maybe Cousy was as good, but no PG I've seen, not even Magic. It's basketball the way it should be.

I can't see how you can claim we're as deep as Dallas last year. Maybe in raw talent, but if you look at the record, when we have to go to the 9th man, or even 8th, this year, we've slid into trouble when Nash sits. As I've said elsewhere, I'd sure trade our 8-14 for Dallas'.