NBA Finals: Spurs vs Heat

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Who said they were safe? I said they'll gladly take a split heading back to Texas...as opposed to being down 0-2. :shrug:

I realize that; however, I wouldn't say they're content with a tie, especially with how they got eviscerated by the Heat last night. IMO, it would've been in their best interest to win the second game because now, Miami has the momentum going into San Antonio and should be re-energized after their grueling series with the Pacers. In addition, none of the "Big 3" in Miami have played anywhere close to their potential. Lebron has a 30 point game up his sleeve in the next two games now that he's figured out how to deal with the congested paint area that the Spurs have tried to utilize.

A 2-0 lead for the Spurs would've meant the series was all but over. A 1-1 split with three at home against a team that simply doesn't lose consecutive games is a dangerous proposition, IMO. That's why I said that the Spurs are not safe. It defeats the notion that the road team only winning one on the opponent's floor gives them the advantage. The Heat are a 66 win team with depth, the best player in the NBA, and a team that plays very well on the road.

I'm curious to see if Pop rolls out more perimeter defenders to deal with Jesus Shuttlesworth, Miller, and Chalmers on the outside, which would turn Lebron into a scorer and not a facilitator.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For any road team to say they're happy with a split, after winning Game 1 and losing Game 2, is a cop-out. Sure, 1-1 is better than 0-2, but once you win Game 1, 0-2 is no longer a possibility, so it's a false comparison. After you win Game 1, you have two options: 2-0 and 1-1. One of those is much better than the other.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the point in time has a lot to do with it. From a fan perspective, before the series starts you'd be thrilled with a split away. After winning the first game, you'd be disappointed if you didn't get the sweep and after losing that second game, you'd be happy or content with the road split.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize that; however, I wouldn't say they're content with a tie, especially with how they got eviscerated by the Heat last night. IMO, it would've been in their best interest to win the second game because now, Miami has the momentum going into San Antonio and should be re-energized after their grueling series with the Pacers. In addition, none of the "Big 3" in Miami have played anywhere close to their potential. Lebron has a 30 point game up his sleeve in the next two games now that he's figured out how to deal with the congested paint area that the Spurs have tried to utilize.

A 2-0 lead for the Spurs would've meant the series was all but over. A 1-1 split with three at home against a team that simply doesn't lose consecutive games is a dangerous proposition, IMO. That's why I said that the Spurs are not safe. It defeats the notion that the road team only winning one on the opponent's floor gives them the advantage. The Heat are a 66 win team with depth, the best player in the NBA, and a team that plays very well on the road.

I'm curious to see if Pop rolls out more perimeter defenders to deal with Jesus Shuttlesworth, Miller, and Chalmers on the outside, which would turn Lebron into a scorer and not a facilitator.

you're making it seem like the Spurs are playing Phoenix Day School For The Deaf and just gave them hope. The reality is that the Spurs are playing a team that had one of the best records in regular season history and are coming home after having taken HCA. Sure, any team would love coming home up 2-0, but that's an incredibly tall order.

as to momentum...if the series was staying in MIA, I'd say maybe you have a point, but coming home to a raucous crowd where the Spurs are dynamite dulls whatever momentum Miami has right now IMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
you're making it seem like the Spurs are playing Phoenix Day School For The Deaf and just gave them hope. The reality is that the Spurs are playing a team that had one of the best records in regular season history and are coming home after having taken HCA. Sure, any team would love coming home up 2-0, but that's an incredibly tall order.

as to momentum...if the series was staying in MIA, I'd say maybe you have a point, but coming home to a raucous crowd where the Spurs are dynamite dulls whatever momentum Miami has right now IMO.

I neither said nor inferred that SA was playing an inferior team. Not sure you read the entire post. As a matter of fact, I think from a talent and depth standpoint, San Antonio is overmatched. The only advantage they have is coaching, but Spo is starting to prove that he can adjust with the best of them, which is paramount in the playoffs.

Also, how do you figure that Miami's momentum is null and void because they're going on the road? Miami is a hell of a road team and earlier in the year, beat San Antonio in San Antonio with LBJ and Wade sidelined.

In addition, Lebron has yet to blow up in a game and they still crushed SA in the 2nd game and nearly beat them in the 1st while they were well rested and Miami was laboring from a long, grueling series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I neither said nor inferred that SA was playing an inferior team. Not sure you read the entire post. As a matter of fact, I think from a talent and depth standpoint, San Antonio is overmatched. The only advantage they have is coaching, but Spo is starting to prove that he can adjust with the best of them, which is paramount in the playoffs.

Also, how do you figure that Miami's momentum is null and void because they're going on the road? Miami is a hell of a road team and earlier in the year, beat San Antonio in San Antonio with LBJ and Wade sidelined.

Uh...where did I say Miami's mo was "null and void"? I said it was dulled, by all the factors I listed, much like it was dulled when they faced another very good team who was very good at home like the Pacers.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
The Spurs have to match the Heat's intensity on D and move the ball quicker. The Heat is almost a complete team since they have great 3 pth shooters. Duncan is better than Bosh however and the big three have to step up and lead the way. They cannot rely on Green hitting 3-pointers to stay in the game. Leonard already showed that he is capable of slowing down LeBron a bit. He is exactly what the Spurs missed since Bowen retired but not nasty or dirty at all, more like supercool.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've always felt that the 2-3-2 format was BS for the HCA team.

In a series that says that the first team to get to 4 wins plays only 2 of the first 5 at home,its not much of an advantage...unless of course you stumble early.

2-2-1-1-1 format is more legit.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In a series that says that the first team to get to 4 wins plays only 2 of the first 5 at home,its not much of an advantage...unless of course you stumble early.

Completely agree. I've always hated the 2-3-2 format.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the 2-3-2 format is a huge advantage for the home team, much more so than the 1-1-1 finish. The road team almost always has to win 2 games away from home in order to win the 2-3-2 series. It's really tough to win 3 straight at home and the disadvantages of being on the road lessen with each successive game in one location. I don't have any facts to back me up, that's just the way it seems to me. Also, the 1-1-1 format requires more travel for both teams and can make for an even longer series and nobody wants that.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 2-3-2 format is a huge advantage for the home team, much more so than the 1-1-1 finish. The road team almost always has to win 2 games away from home in order to win the 2-3-2 series. It's really tough to win 3 straight at home and the disadvantages of being on the road lessen with each successive game in one location. I don't have any facts to back me up, that's just the way it seems to me. Also, the 1-1-1 format requires more travel for both teams and can make for an even longer series and nobody wants that.

Steve

agreed.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Neither of them works perfectly. I wonder if anyone has ever tried a 1-1-1-2-2? Doesn't seem like it would ever happen because I assume no league would want to front-load the travel. Plus most higher seeds want the opportunity to take a 2-0 lead at home. But this would give them the opportunity to take a commanding 3-0 lead at home, or come back home after splitting the first two (or get back into the series at home if they drop the first two).

I'm sure no good team wants to possibly be up against the wall on the road in games 4 and 5, but that's what they get in the 2-3-2 format as well.

Edit: I just re-read this twice and it got more ridiculous each time. Now I really want to see it.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither of them works perfectly. I wonder if anyone has ever tried a 1-1-1-2-2? Doesn't seem like it would ever happen because I assume no league would want to front-load the travel. Plus most higher seeds want the opportunity to take a 2-0 lead at home. But this would give them the opportunity to take a commanding 3-0 lead at home, or come back home after splitting the first two (or get back into the series at home if they drop the first two).

I'm sure no good team wants to possibly be up against the wall on the road in games 4 and 5, but that's what they get in the 2-3-2 format as well.

Edit: I just re-read this twice and it got more ridiculous each time. Now I really want to see it.

They ought to play a 7 game series in a neutral location and to heck with home court advantage. The regular season wouldn't lose any value (or much value) because the road to the finals would still favor the home team but then you can turn the championship series into a real event. And, then, you'd have to live with the increasing likelihood that the best team actually won the championship. Come to think of it, I could live with that. Not that it would ever happen.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely miss the 2-2-1-1-1 format. I believe it to be the most fair. I would be for game 7 to be at a neutral site but this is not going to happen anytime soon.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They ought to play a 7 game series in a neutral location and to heck with home court advantage. The regular season wouldn't lose any value (or much value) because the road to the finals would still favor the home team but then you can turn the championship series into a real event. And, then, you'd have to live with the increasing likelihood that the best team actually won the championship. Come to think of it, I could live with that. Not that it would ever happen.

Steve
This does leave out the Fan factor. And the revenue factor for the two final teams.

Of course, the NFL plays the Super Bowl in neutral territory. But that is one game, not a potential seven as in MLB or the NBA.

If the NFL played a Super Bowl best-of-seven series, I don't think they'd play the games on a neutral field.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ginobili is killing the Spurs. They'd better sit him the entire fourth quarter if they want to hang on to this win.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs up 31 points with 5:43 left. Eddie Munster just took out their starters. It is over.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big three shot 18-46 from the field and 6-8 from the line for 43 points. The other two starter for 0-7 for 0 points and as a team, they were out rebounded 49-31. WOW

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 point win for the Spurs. I think who ever wins the next game will win the series.

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
After listening to King this, King that for the last two days, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing Miami had all that momentum or they might really have been blown out tonight. Momentum in a game - very important. Momentum between games - not so much.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who made that wager about the Spurs not winning 2 games?