NBA Off Season Thread

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sure, but why crucify the guy for just saying what's on his mind to the media. The context that was presented was, man.. I have a family, they can't live off this money... which was incorrect.

So I don't get why your question is even a question in the first place TBH.. I applaud him for being open and honest.. and I bet he hates himself for it now that the media has blown it out of proportion.

Still the point is that he's a millionaire athlete that's complaining about life being "hard" for him.

I can think of billions of families in the United States who would love to make millions of dollars with the only down fall being that you have to move every year or every few years.

And Josh Smith is STILL getting paid by the Detroit Pistons to not play basketball for them. Poor guy, he's got it real rough.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Still the point is that he's a millionaire athlete that's complaining about life being "hard" for him.

I can think of billions of families in the United States who would love to make millions of dollars with the only down fall being that you have to move every year or every few years.

And Josh Smith is STILL getting paid by the Detroit Pistons to not play basketball for them. Poor guy, he's got it real rough.

Easy for someone to judge that hasn't been in the same shoes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of teams are tinkering with their 15 man rosters lately but not the Suns. I'm wondering if they have some moves planned behind the scenes. I can't help but wonder if the Suns are waiting for the legal issues to be resolved with Markieff Morris.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of teams are tinkering with their 15 man rosters lately but not the Suns. I'm wondering if they have some moves planned behind the scenes. I can't help but wonder if the Suns are waiting for the legal issues to be resolved with Markieff Morris.

Most of what you're seeing right now are salary dumps and non-guaranteed contracts getting moved around. Teams trying to get under the luxury tax after throwing money around the last 4 weeks. The Suns are not in that category, and they're flush enough against the cap that they can't take on someone else's trash either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of what you're seeing right now are salary dumps and non-guaranteed contracts getting moved around. Teams trying to get under the luxury tax after throwing money around the last 4 weeks. The Suns are not in that category, and they're flush enough against the cap that they can't take on someone else's trash either.

That's what it looks like... salary dumps and non-guaranteed contracts.

I still think the Suns have at least a move or two left no matter how minor at least in preparation of training camp... camp invites and such. Also the situation has not been resolved legally with Markieff Morris nor have I heard how he feels about playing for the Suns. Something could still happen in this regard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would the Suns need to wait for the legal situation to clear up with Markieff in order to trade him? They traded Marcus already and from what I remember about the case Marcus was the one who appeared as the primary suspect. I remember reading something about Markieff being charged in addition to Marcus but something about Markieff having a legit alibi or something. I could be wrong about the alibi but regardless if they can move 1 why not the other?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the Suns need to wait for the legal situation to clear up with Markieff in order to trade him? They traded Marcus already and from what I remember about the case Marcus was the one who appeared as the primary suspect. I remember reading something about Markieff being charged in addition to Marcus but something about Markieff having a legit alibi or something. I could be wrong about the alibi but regardless if they can move 1 why not the other?

The Suns were more concerned about clearing cap space when they traded Marcus and others. The situation is different with Markieff as he is the Suns starting PF. They would need to maximize his value in a trade or find a suitable replacement. Clearing the legal obstacles would be a step towards accomplishing this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Suns would be interested in Eric Moreland as a development type player who is being waived by the Kings. He is a PF/C who is only 23 and seems to have some rebounding and shot blocking skills. I haven't seen him play (other than video) but he would seem to be a worthwhile project. Chances are he gets picked off waivers so the Suns may not have a shot at getting him.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/report-kings-waiving-eric-moreland/a minimum type player

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Marcus Morris has more to day about the Suns, calling the organization "clowns" in a Twitter chat with Archie Goodwin.

It's pretty funny that Morris fails to recognize that he's hurting himself more than the Suns with this nonsense. The guy is only marginally in the NBA and no one takes him seriously.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is clear that Mc Morris is a classic manipulator. He take a swipe at the team while flattering a young player in the organization. Anyone in business has seen this type of person work in office politics. They find someone who is a little insecure, and then load them with flattery intermingled with criticism for mgmt. It creates animosity and unrest all around.

And yes, Elind, everyone can see it. It hurts Marcus most. Although you have to wonder what kind of impact it is having on Kieff.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marcus Morris is a joke.

If not for the Suns he would be a minimum salary scrub now trying to get a contract in summer league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus needs a reality check. The Suns paid for Markieff, not Marcus. He better be glad his brother was generous. Still one can only wonder if Markieff mirrors Marcus' attitude. If so, the Suns need to find him a new home for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some news from the Suns I'm not sure has been posted. See article from Paul Coro at azcentral in an article dated 7-31-15.

The Suns slipped last season, prompting six in-season trades and more moves after the 39-43 season to create a roster with better positional and age balance. The current 13-man roster has a strong chance of being the opening-night roster. McDonough said it would take “a pretty high-level player” for the Suns to use the cap space mid-level exception for a two-year contract starting at $2.84 million.

“We’re going to bring a few players to training camp and give them a shot to make the roster,” McDonough said of the camp that will start in late September in Flagstaff. “I think some of the players who come to camp with us, if they don’t make the Suns’ roster, will go to (D-League affiliate) Bakersfield and play for the Jam."

In addition to McDonough, Bukstein and Connelly will take on expanded roles after getting contract extensions.

The restructuring also led to the promotion of Bubba Burrage to director of pro personnel after serving as the Suns’ head pro personnel scout for the past four seasons. Burrage, who has worked 22 years in the NBA, will continue to be Bakersfield’s GM.

The Suns also added Courtney Witte as director of scouting and Antonio Williams as a scout.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ly-changes-lon-babby-ryan-mcdonough/30949983/

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marcus's perception of reality is scary. He seems to check a lot of boxes for a sociopath. Good riddance.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It hurts Marcus most. Although you have to wonder what kind of impact it is having on Kieff.
Excellent point! Especially considering Kieff's lack of control (technicals) on the floor himself.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Spurs signed Jimmer Fredette... if it was anyone else I'd think they were wacko, but the Spurs... what is Pops up to now? Must be his 3 point shooting - he has shot over 40% on 3's two of his four years... .476 the year before last. Maybe Marco Belinelli left

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs signed Jimmer Fredette... if it was anyone else I'd think they were wacko, but the Spurs... what is Pops up to now? Must be his 3 point shooting - he has shot over 40% on 3's two of his four years... .476 the year before last. Maybe Marco Belinelli left

The Spurs seem to run a plug and play system so who knows about Fredette. Maybe he fits in a defined role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see Wade, Rose and Bryant in the top five although their endorsement contracts were probably signed some time ago.