NBA Off Season Thread

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Clippers have added Paul Pierce, Lance Stephenson, Wes Johnson and Josh Smith since season ended.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if those are good moves or bad moves for the Clippers.lol
Time will tell.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't know if those are good moves or bad moves for the Clippers.lol
Time will tell.

The Clipper's achilles heel last season was depth. They had a great sixth man in Crawford, but aside from that and the spark that was A. Rivers, that was not a reliable bench. All of the guys they signed are quality depth guys who could start in a pinch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clipper's achilles heel last season was depth. They had a great sixth man in Crawford, but aside from that and the spark that was A. Rivers, that was not a reliable bench. All of the guys they signed are quality depth guys who could start in a pinch.

yup. I figure their bench is going to be Crawford/Rivers/Pierce or Stephenson/Josh Smith. That's pretty damn solid with a great starting five.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
yup. I figure their bench is going to be Crawford/Rivers/Pierce or Stephenson/Josh Smith. That's pretty damn solid with a great starting five.

A lot of divas though? Going to be interesting to see how it works out.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought SF was a weakness for the Clippers also, no?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Teletovic, Weems, and Price signings become official for the Suns.

http://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/suns-sign-teletovic-weems-price

Names are not as well known as LAC bench but here is how I feel.

If PHX's roster is set for Opening Night then I am okay if this is a lottery team as I think at this point this team is more of a lottery team than playoff team. I will eat major crow if this team makes the playoffs.

At least if this team is not as good as last year's, how quickly veterans can gel and youngsters can develop will determine that, then we can look forward to landing an impact lottery draft pick. I know McD and Hornacek hope this isn't a lottery team because if it ends up that way, they will most likely be canned.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. The Suns were best when Len was playing well I the middle of the year. Now they have added depth and consistency to the center position as well as shooting at the guard and forward positions in Weems, Booker, and Leuer. You also have Len, TJ, and Archie with another year of maturity. On top of that Knight and Bledsoe get a training camp together.

Last years locker room was an absolute trainwreck. It's hard to believe this team won't be any better.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think Hornacek is going to be the key. I don't think there's any question that he will feel under great pressure to make the playoffs and under pressure he will resort to a lot of small ball - its in his genes. It will be obvious to all of us that he needs to keep a C on the floor at all times, health permitting, but he won't see it that way. He'll be as stubborn as D'Antoni ever was. He will go with a narrow rotation - my guess is that Weems, Price and Teletovich will be the most used subs - in addition to Len, because Chandler can't play that many minutes game in and game out. TJ, Booker, Goodwin and Leuer will only play in garbage time.

It won't matter if we make the playoffs or not as this is a dead end approach.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hornacek is going to be the key. I don't think there's any question that he will feel under great pressure to make the playoffs and under pressure he will resort to a lot of small ball - its in his genes. It will be obvious to all of us that he needs to keep a C on the floor at all times, health permitting, but he won't see it that way. He'll be as stubborn as D'Antoni ever was. He will go with a narrow rotation - my guess is that Weems, Price and Teletovich will be the most used subs - in addition to Len, because Chandler can't play that many minutes game in and game out. TJ, Booker, Goodwin and Leuer will only play in garbage time.

It won't matter if we make the playoffs or not as this is a dead end approach.

First off, I expect Len and Chandler will combine for well over 40 minutes a game, we will probably be among the league leaders in minutes devoted to centers.

And secondly, no, no what you are calling "small ball" is not a dead end approach. If you have the talent for it you can win a titles playing like that. I don't see how people can still have their heads on the sand about "needing" a center on the court.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
First off, I expect Len and Chandler will combine for well over 40 minutes a game, we will probably be among the league leaders in minutes devoted to centers.
To start the season, of course. But as it progresses, Len has yet to prove that he can carry the role of starting Center for a full season. Until he can stay out of foul trouble and stay healthy, your prediction will probably be short lived, especially with Tyson Chandler in the twilight of his career.

And secondly, no, no what you are calling "small ball" is not a dead end approach. If you have the talent for it you can win a titles playing like that. I don't see how people can still have their heads on the sand about "needing" a center on the court.
Again, your opinion does not cover a full season. There are teams in the NBA where "small ball" can prevail (as long as it is not a back-to-back or on the road)) and there are teams who will continue to dominate our "small ball" (your quotes), no matter what the circumstances.

NBA ball is certainly more complicated than inferring one season-long generalization, pro or con. And using the term "heads in the sand" (ftfy) isn't very convincing of anything. There are plenty of times you need a Center on the court. And the best way to keep them sharp is to keep them in the rotation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To start the season, of course. But as it progresses, Len has yet to prove that he can carry the role of starting Center for a full season. Until he can stay out of foul trouble and stay healthy, your prediction will probably be short lived, especially with Tyson Chandler in the twilight of his career.

Again, your opinion does not cover a full season. There are teams in the NBA where "small ball" can prevail (as long as it is not a back-to-back or on the road)) and there are teams who will continue to dominate our "small ball" (your quotes), no matter what the circumstances.

NBA ball is certainly more complicated than inferring one season-long generalization, pro or con. And using the term "heads in the sand" (ftfy) isn't very convincing of anything. There are plenty of times you need a Center on the court. And the best way to keep them sharp is to keep them in the rotation.

Len won't be the starter, fouls shouldn't be an issue off the bench, and besides; foul trouble is not the same as simply ignoring him, as errrrrnight implied.

And I never said anything about removing them from the rotation, what I did say was that anyone who thinks that a center should always be on the court, and that "small ball" cannot win has their head in the sand.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

asudevil83

Reaction score
Geez this was taken so out of context. He meant his family living on a one year contract and not knowing where they will be going next was difficult. Watch the whole interview for context.

yeah the guy who did this article completely took quotes out of context and created a pretty terrible click bate article.

extremely poor journalism.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Good for Josh Smith that he did mean the location and not the money. LOL at Spreewell though, he was some dude. I remember when he came to the Warriors with Webber and Tim Hardaway they where pretty exciting. We still beat them with Charles and KJ though.

I also think there will be small ball this year as always, but hopefully we'll see plenty of Chandler or Len with the wings. To play small ball efficiently we are missing a Big Croissant/Draymond Green type of player. Someone who can guard PF and small C's while still handling the ball and hitting outside shots. Keef is a pretty good passer and he can shoot 3s but he's lacking on defence and ball handling.

We've added shooters this year so with better spacing and barred significant injuries and chemistry problems I think we're slightly better than last year. That means another year around .500 fighting for the 7th and 8th seed.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Geez this was taken so out of context. He meant his family living on a one year contract and not knowing where they will be going next was difficult. Watch the whole interview for context.

Even if he was on a long term contract and got traded, wouldn't that be "difficult" on his family as well?

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Even if he was on a long term contract and got traded, wouldn't that be "difficult" on his family as well?

Sure, but why crucify the guy for just saying what's on his mind to the media. The context that was presented was, man.. I have a family, they can't live off this money... which was incorrect.

So I don't get why your question is even a question in the first place TBH.. I applaud him for being open and honest.. and I bet he hates himself for it now that the media has blown it out of proportion.